Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Liberty Dome Light Problems

astickastick Member Posts: 2
The dome lights on my 2002 Jeep Liberty come on intermittently (with absolutely no activation). They may flash numerous times, stay on for a couple of minutes, etc. Eventually they will go off.

There is no obvious reason for anything activating the lights............they have a mind of their own.

The dealership thought the radio was the problem (because the factory radio would simply go off for no apparent reason, and then come back on by itself).

After replacing the radio, the dome light problem still persists.

Any help with this probelm would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    You seem to have a bad contact or interference bugging the Body Control Module "BCM". I sometimes have the same symptom.
  • Options
    astickastick Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your response.

Any suggestions on how to address this problem. Do I need to replace the "BCM", or try to trace the bad contact / interference??

Again, thanks for your help.

astick
  • Options
    caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    This may seem silly, but try the following:
    - Check the battery lugs for loose connection,
    - Access the BCM by removing the left vertical side panel of the dashboard accessible when the driver door is open,
    - Check the BCM connectors and cables; this is where everything is centralized.

Try to remember what you just did or what was regulated or changed when the light suddenly came on. I can get either the dome light, one headlight, sometimes both without the rear lights simply by opening my door or turning off my headlights when the engine comes to a full stop. This usually happens when I need to rush :(
  • Options
    digger12digger12 Member Posts: 5
    if all that car has is the dome light comes on sometimes? wow,real hard to fix,PULL THE DAMN LIGHT OUT.i will more than likely drive a jeep liberty to the ground,as to the miles.{city-highway} i am not really concerened. as after the first 500 miles,i wont even notice.
  • Options
    campirotecampirote Member Posts: 2
    I found out a very simple way to fix the problem. Right where you lower the dashboard light. the problem is right in between turning your dome lights on and lowering the brightness of the dashboard. turn it two clicks towards reducing the brightness of the dashboard and there you have it solved.
  • Options
    campirotecampirote Member Posts: 2
    Can anybody tell me how to open the dome lights cover, without cracking it? I need to replace a bulb.