Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Travel Experiences

vdalvdal Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Honda
I'm planning next week to go for 5 days camping.My husband car(Honda Accord) has a little problem with transmission so we thinking by taking Fit(Sport).It's 225 miles(from Chicago to New Era,MI)so we're worried if that little thing can handle that-2 people, back full of camping staff.
Can anybody share with similar experience?:D

Comments

• jgilliam1955jgilliam1955 Member Posts: 3
    Can the Fit be towed be a RV?
    Thanks!
  • debs10debs10 Member Posts: 1
    http://www.aemfg.com/pdfs/BX2245.pdf

This link indicates that yes, it is possible to tow behind an RV
  • bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    debs,

Only the manual transmission Fit can be towed 4-down behind a motorhome, per Honda. :mad:

Regards,
    Bubba
  • raingear251raingear251 Member Posts: 1
    Can a Jetta w/manual transmission be towed behind an RV.
  • chiboukichibouki Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

Can someone please tell me if they have travelled long distance with their Honda Fit? I'm from Montreal, Quebec, Canada and my husband, 2 kids and I would like to travel to Fort Lauderdale, Florida with my 2007 Honda Fit for the X-Mas holidays. I would like to know the pros and the cons about driving such a long distance with this car. My husband, my daughter and I have been to London, Ontario and the fuel economy was great. Did aprox. 785km/488miles with my fuel tank filled to the rim and I do have cruise control. It wasn't the most comfortable ride over a long period but it was very doable. I guess what I would like to know is if the Fit being a small compact car can take the long ride (aprox. 1392 miles) with 4 people and some luggage without breaking down on me. Can someone please share whatever experience they may have had driving that much of a distance?
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    When my FIT was 1 day old, April 2006, my wife and I drove from Houston, Texas to Atlanta, then to St. Pete, FL and back to Houston. I found it a bit underpowered driving in the hilly areas of Alabama and Georgia. The automatic would down shift and the engine would be buzzy at higher revs. My right arm would also get tired, have since purchased an arm rest, but other then that no complaints about our FIT, which now has 14K. That was the only long distance trip we did in our FIT. My wife and I purchased an 07 CRV EX-L and will use it for any trips. You will also have your kids on board plus luggage. Since it was only the two of us, the back seats were down and loaded the back with all sorts of things. Hope this helps. Have a great trip.. :)
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Depends on what and who you're bringing. If you can fit all your luggage behind the second row, then I'd say go for it. If the passengers are on the tall or large size and need to have the front seats all the way back, then I can see how you may have some comfort problems, especially if there are kids in carseats kicking the backs of the front seats.

We drove 600 miles one way with the cargo area filled to the ceiling (2 adults & 2 kids in carseats) I had to use the side mirrors, but that was no problem. We didn't have any problems with lack of power either. I wouldn't use the cruise control going up steep hills though, because it tends to downshift faster. I'll often use the Sport mode and leave the car in 5th gear to keep it there, although the automatic mode also works fine except again, it seems to shift a little early on the uphills when using the cruise. Also, we've found that we could use some tint on the windows to help keep the rear area cooler, since there are no rear AC ducts and we don't want to keep the fan set to 3-4 all the time.

As far as the armrest...if you're driving with your arms in the 10:00 and 2:00 positions, I don't think any center console armrest could be used to rest your right arm...they're all just too low. That's why for me, I don't have a big problem with the lack of a center console armrest. My other car has one, and when I'm resting my right arm on it, my hand is resting on the shift lever, not the steering wheel anyway. I suppose with minivans with their armrests incorporated in the seat that would be different, but center console armrests won't help a tired arm much if you're trying to hold the steering wheel at the same time.

Generally on long highway drives, I'm holding the steering wheel with one hand from the 7:00 to 4:00 position the arm resting in my lap. I actually like the fact that there's no center console because it's easier for the front occupants to reach back and grab something on the floor of the rear seats (small cooler, thermos, paper towels, etc.) since both of our kids are in car seats. And I really like the available space under the 2nd row seats for stuff like first aid kits, umbrellas, etc. And we both find the front seats to be very comfortable...not too low like in civic or corolla but not too high like in a minivan or SUV.

But since you've already taken a 500 mile road trip in your Fit, a 1400 mile one won't be too much different. And since you're going during the cool part of the year, the lack of tint creating a warm car won't be an issue.
    Thank-you for your reply... I really appreciate. About the armrest, that was something I was getting for sure before I leave on my trip... even on a short distance my right arm gets tired and numb. I think that's one of the things Honda added on the new 2009 Fit. Thanks again :)
  • _nate_nate Member Posts: 5
    I got my Fit Sport Automatic in June. Three days later my girlfriend and I drove up to Canada for the weekend. We took 70 to 76 to 79 to 90 to the QEW. Round trip, I think we drove 1100 miles. In PA we dealt with the hills/mountains but had no trouble by downshifting on the fly for more power up the climbs. I personally liked being in Sport Mode for the trip, my girlfriend stayed in Drive. We had 3 gym bags of luggage in the trunk and I didn't notice the car struggling.

In addition, I purchased an aftermarket arm rest off ebay which I think was really nice for the trip. I think if you search for honda fit armrest you can find the seller. You can custom it out by picking the fabric color, the stripe and the color of the rear cup-holder. When I drive, I usually have 1 hand on the wheel and the other resting on the armrest.

You shouldn't have any problems with your trip. _Nate
  • trickydick1936trickydick1936 Member Posts: 6
    In March of '07, we drove our Fit Sport from Ocala, FL to Los Angeles and return in a 3 week period. It was Mom and Pop and our 17 pound poodle. On the return, we were anxious to get home, and drove from Kerrville, TX to Ocala in one long day (5:30AM to 2:30 AM - 1173 miles).

In terms of pure comfort, our previous Honda ('04 Odyssey EX) had an edge in spread out room etc., but the Fit compensates with great fuel mileage, and fun to drive factor. If your luggage and kids fit, go for it.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    my wife and i drove from salisbury nc to miami florida a total of about 1500 miles both ways, and the fit was great. a little sensitve to crosswinds, but the gas milage was perfect.
  • scottgroffscottgroff Member Posts: 3
    We just returned from an 8,900 mile trip across the country from Seattle to Maine, down the coast to NC, returning through MO, NE and CO to home. Two people with baggage for five weeks of travelling, good-sized cooler and bags of food. The rear springs were compressed enough that the top of the rear wheel bodywork coverd a little of the top of the rear tires. It certainly was comfortable enough and maintained 75 mph most of the way, with the exception of mountain passes. Liberal use of the Sports paddle shifters better enabled the car to maintain good speed. Crossing the continental divide in Montana, I had to let the speed drop down to 65 mph because the little engine was making a lot of noise. I felt sorry for it and relented.
  • zombietom3zombietom3 Member Posts: 74
    That sounds good. How was the fuel efficiency overall for the trip?
  • sildra9onsildra9on Member Posts: 5
    I bought a Honda Fit Auto Sport on May 2007, the reason i bought this car is because it said 31/37 mpg on sticker, but it only goes around 20mpg,1/2highway/city. i start calling up the dealer ask them what's wrong. they told it's a brand new car, it need times before it breaks in. they tell me to wait. i waited until 1700 miles, it doesn't seem any better, i finally bought it to honda to check what's wrong. they checked the car they told it has nothing wrong with the car. it just because it's summer, air conditions and stereo can cause it getting less MPG. so i test it with everything off. NO AC, NO TEREO, NO WIPERS, NO LIGHTS, samething. i called the manufactory. they told me i should have wait a little more, they told me after the first oil change it would get better. on 3500miles bought it to oil chance and service. i told the guy that my car getting bad milage. they told me i have to leave for more than a week to check. and they not guaranteed they will find problems. and since they dont think there's a problem, they wont provide the loaner car. i been contacting Honda Dealer, service, even honda main company. they wont see to help anything.. HELP>>>
  • sildra9onsildra9on Member Posts: 5
    i traveled with my fit from nj to west charleston wv. appx 8 1/2 rides. it was just me and my wife.
    pros: nice and comfortable rides, a lot rooms inside for seats and storage. we took a break every 2 hours, and folded down back seat with naps. btw. i carried a camping bag with me.
    cons: not enough power from going up hills, u have to step on the gas so hard to get it moving. and so noisy.
    btw. my all highway mpg from that trip was 29mpg,( i have bad mpg with my car, i only got average 22/mpg combine city and highway :confuse:
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    It has to be the way you drive or there are hills! I live in Houston and consistently get 30-31 mpg back and forth to work, 13 miles. I turn on the cruise control every chance I get, even in a 30 mph zone. And never hard on the gas accelerating from stop. I decelerate as soon as I see a light change to red and coast (if I can). Check your tire pressure, I have mine at 35psi. On the highway, I get 37-39 mpg. The most has been 41.75 mpg. Mine is a FIT Sport Auto.. I love my FIT!!
  • commofficercommofficer Member Posts: 50
    My family and I drove the Fit from Oklahoma City to Dallas for the American Girl store opening (daughter's birthday present). We got an average of 32 mpg on the highway. My tank before that gave me 38 mpg. I have a Sport 5-spd and I drive it pretty hard. I think my only complaints on long trips are:
    1.No freaking arm rest!
    2.No little pockets to store things in
    3.No lumbar adjustment on the seat
    4.Car needs tint and I'll get it done soon enough

Other than those small items, we love the car. My wife also enjoys it which is a huge bonus. I don't think it is very efficient once you start driving over 70 mph which might account for some of the lower mpg readings others have been getting. I'd like to see an efficiency curve on the car. Has anyone seen one with speed on one axis and mpg on another?

Take care
    Phil
  • amazinglyfitamazinglyfit Member Posts: 9
    My wife and I have a 2007 fit auto sport.

I have driven it from CA to NH (3 days) and back and CA to CO (1 day) and back - by myself, but with quite a bit of luggage (~500 lb.)

This is a Honda, so reliability is not an issue.

I'm 195 cm and weigh 100 kg and am comfortable in this car.

You can exceed the speed limit on any road I've driven on with four adults on board - there is a redline and you can't exceed it even if you try. Plenty of power.

I haven't kept track, but any time I have checked we have averaged >32 mpg. The car seems to do worse on CA gasoline.

I love this car.

Paul
  • kaydenskaydens Member Posts: 47
    It really has a lot to do with the way you drive. Consumer Reports had a bunch of articles about how to drive your car to its most fuel efficient. I would check that out and see if that makes a difference.

Just got my FIT today!
    and I already love it!
  • clarksterynclarksteryn Member Posts: 18
    I bought a Milano Red 2008 Honda Fit Sport Manual on 12NOV07 and immediately drove from Topeka, KS to Granite City, IL 312 miles with a dog, 2 kids, and enough luggage for a long weekend. I got around 34mpg and drove pretty much 70mph the whole way. Did great! I traded in my '06 Civic LX (Atomic Blue) for the Fit, the Fit is more comfortable to ride in, softer seats and not as bumpy of a ride! I wanted the Fit because I can actually do something with it, the Civic is a great car don't get me wrong, but try putting a bike inside it :confuse:

My Fit now has 534 miles on it and it looks so sweet looking at me in the garage when I open the door to check her out! :shades:
  • whugheswhughes Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone installed the Honda Garmin Navi 350 GPS unit? I was wandering if there was any difficulty in disassembling and putting the dash back together.
  • scottgroffscottgroff Member Posts: 3
    We averaged just under 34 mpg. Not bad considering it is an automatic, I was driving 75 mph a lot of the time, and the car was overloaded with us and stuff.
  • fitmpgfitmpg Member Posts: 4
    Hello. I got 46.60 miles per gallon on my last tank with my 2007 Honda Fit MT.
    422 miles/9.05 gallons of fuel (using the same pump both times) equals the above mpg. I am averaging over 43 miles per gallon with the Fit. I make use of some "hypermiling" techiniques (nothing absurd) to generate the totals I get. I also drive mostly highway and back roads wherever possible. These cars are capable of really great gas mileage if you are very careful with shift r.p.m., speed, etc..,
    Take a look at "cleanmpg.com" for some tips on increasing gas mileage.
  • dgecho1dgecho1 Member Posts: 49
    yes...I have done this also...repeatedly..just as you say!!
  • fit2btiedfit2btied Member Posts: 3
    I've had my Fit for about 13,500 miles. In town, it gets about 26.5 mpg. On a trip I can get 34. Sometimes in town it slips lower like at present I think I got just about 22/23. It's very aggravating because I bought the car based on Honda's claims on the invoice on the car. 31/37. One thing I've learned: my town is horrible stop and go-short blocks. The tires need to be inflated sufficiently for optimum mpg. But, this last tank plummeted because it has been raining and I've had to use the defrost alot--this achieved low mileage because of that stupid AC being on to demist the cabin. There's no way to turn it off. What kind of design nonsense is that!!??
    I have a love/hate relationship with the car. Honda really should know better than to allow a 109 horsepower mini car to only get 23-27 mpg in town!! Their civics have gotten 32 in town and 42 on the highway. And to mandate the AC on to defrost the windows is madness!!
    Try to take routes that are less stop and go. This will increase your mileage.
    My final word is: I understand completely what you're going through. But if you like the car....3-5 mpg or so won't add up to that much annually. I guess. :-\
  • mustangxrmustangxr Member Posts: 10
    Well,

Sorry that you are not happy with your Fit.

To address one of your complaints, the one about the A/C going on with the window defrost settings, guess what? That has been mandated for ALL cars for the last 15 years or more that the A/C MUST go on with the defrost settings for safety. Up here in the Pacific Northwest, if the A/C did not come on with the defrost setting automatically during the intense rain storms, I would have to turn it on to keep the windows clear. Actually, it does not come on and stay on, but rather cycles on and off during use of the defrost setting. Just to set your mind at rest about the A/C costing you substantial fuel mileage, Consumer Reports did some tests to see how much A/C affects mileage on a few different cars. The result was almost ONE mile per gallon difference. The fuel penalty for opening the windows could hardly be measured according to Consumer Reports.

When the A/C cycles on, you can see and hear it in the Fit. The engine RPM increases slightly to compensate and the coolant fan automatically kicks in with a light roaring sound. This is all standard stuff on any car, only on the Fit, it is light enough and small enough to notice it more.

I'm not sure why your mileage is low. I'm getting an average of 35 mpg per tank for the last six months so I cannot complain. That is with a city highway mix. Mine is a Sport M-5speed. I do know that the Auto gets worse city mileage but is geared lower and gets better hiway mileage.

Cheers, Pete
  • ifitifit Member Posts: 18
    I get between 32 and 34 in town. Because I don't want the AC to come on, I don't use the defrost. I wipe off the windshield with a towel instead of using the defrost. You probably live somewhere where foggy windshields are more of a problem. Most cars link the AC to the defrost by computer. It's just a matter of finding the disable code and your problem is solved. Most Hondas can be fixed by using a disable code. The Fit uses a link to a toggle switch, not a computer. When you turn the knob to defrost it turns a switch that turns on the AC. All you have to do is remove the cover, & unlink the two. It's reversible if you don't like the change. You can find the plans or links to them on this site.
    Seems a bit extreme just so the AC doesn't come on in defrost mode.

As far as Fit and Civic MPG, you'll find as many happy/unhappy Fit owners as you will Civic owners with respect to their MPG. Some really good, some really bad, but most in the middle. The only difference is that Fit owners can hold a lot more stuff in their car ;)
  • bucky4d4sbucky4d4s Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I have the same problem- getting about 26 MPG consistently - regardless of who is driving.

The driving tips posted before all seem like they might make a few mpg difference, but a 30% difference?

Is it possible that 1 in a hundred fits, or maybe all from 1 plant, have a defect that causes this problem? Has anyone who had this problem found a way to fix it?

Thanks
    Mat
  • thora47thora47 Member Posts: 5
    I don't have my Fit yet, but have been reading forums obsessively since I started researching the car.

Investigate the "Idle Learn Procedure." It's my understanding that the dealership is supposed to do it during the Pre-Delivery Inspection but it doesn't always get done. I believe it also needs to be done again if you disconnect the battery or one of several other things happen....
    If it's not done, one is supposed to achieve sub-par gas mileage.

But this is all hearsay; Good Luck!
    A 4 hour treip with 2 people & stuff...no problem. We drove for 9 hours in our Fit with 2 adults, a toddler and so much stuff that I needed to use the side mirror to see out back and it was just fine...saved me a lot in gas money too.
  • wgewge Member Posts: 16
    I just got back from a two-week hiking and climbing trip to Colorado in my Fit. It was just me and about 200 pounds of gear. It worked great. I slept in the Fit four nights and was very comfortable. The trip of just under 4000 miles yielded an average of 45.09 mpg. It was great on wet gravel and mud roads as well. In September, my wife and I and three Beagles will do another vacation trip to North Carolina and we should have plenty of room. So, I think the Fit is just fine for an economical travel car.
  • vdalvdal Member Posts: 6
    Thank you guys.Fit it is then.Mine still making 19-21 mpg so it's not gonna be economical but at fun for sure,cause I love me "bullet"
  • wodefitwodefit Member Posts: 1
    i have a same problem. my Fit just get 24-26 par gallon gas mileage. I drove on freeway and city harf and harf. This gas mileage is too bad.
    Gang,

Yesterday, The Buster and I drove the 2007 Fit Sport AT to Corpus Christi and back from Austin. Left early morning and returned late afternoon. 40 mpg on the way down (A/C off most of the way) and 39 mpg coming back (A/C on). :shades:

Regards,
    Bubba
    what sort of speeds were you doing?
    Bob,

We drove between 60 and 70 mph. I should have mentioned that we had an extra 110 lbs. of stuff in the car.

Regards,
    Bubba
  • wsalcedowsalcedo Member Posts: 8
    I have a different posting about my recent purchase of an armrest. I was satisfied with its fit but I couldn't drive the 4 screws snugly because they're screwed into a soft base. I'm thinking of replacing them with longer screws but I don't know if there's more soft material deeper down the surface. I'd want to hear from others about how I can make the armrest fit more tightly.
  • wehnerwehner Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2009 Honda Fit sport with automatic transmisison on 21 October 2008. The owner's manual says the vehicle can be towed behind a motorhome 4 wheels down provided you don't exceed 65 MPH and the auto transmission is cycled through all ranges with the motor running for 3 minutes ending with the shift lever going from Drive to Neutral. This must be done at least every 8 hours of towing. There are no other restrictions mentioned in the owner's manual. The manual transmission can be towed simply by putting the shift in neutral.
  • nugget2nugget2 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 Fit and have a wiring Kit from Road Master. I need instructions specific to the fit for instilling the wiring to the brake/etc lights. Where do I get help? I'm towing with a2003 31 ft.Jamboree GT
  • chuckp8383chuckp8383 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have experience towing Toyota Tacoma manual transmission all four down behind a RV. I know the manual says no to do that, but people do it. Remco does not have a disconnect or oil pump for the manual tranny saying they are unnecessary.
This discussion has been closed.