Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 Ignition Coil Problems

chocolate_billchocolate_bill Member Posts: 2
Has anyone been successful in going back to Audi (or their dealers) for compensation on failed ignition coils? I just purchased a 2005 A4 and within 3 months 3 of the coils failed. The car just passed 50K miles, so the parts and labor came out of my pocket.
Tagged:

Comments

• kayflokayflo Member Posts: 1
    hi...just had to deal with the same problem at midnight last night on my way home...very annoying! because my vehicle now has 53K and is out of warranty, and since it was the weekend, i had to go to a non-dealer auto shop. they found the problem, parts and labor were $640. pretty scared that it was a non-dealer, but had no choice since it was saturday/sunday and had to get to work later on that same day. spoke with audi salesperson and they said it was normal wear and tear, but how could i not have any warning since the engine light did not illuminate until after the car was already running for >10min???
  • dazzlerdazzler Member Posts: 1
    ive just bought a 1996 a4 1.9td, with the air mass meter connected it smokes and has a bad flat spot but is fine when it is disconnected just lacks a bit of power, i put a new one on and it was fine for a couple of minutes and then seemed to burn the new one out and i was left with exactly the same problem but over £100 out of pocket. anyone got any ideas please
  • iamfedup1iamfedup1 Member Posts: 1
    I've had similar problems with my 2005 A-4...(towed twice in the last three months and three of the six coils replaced thus far). I have tried, to no avail, to have Audi replace the remaining 3 coils. It is my understanding from one of the Audi service reps that there is an ongoing issue with the coils and it tends to start after the 30000 mile servicing. I have a few more months on my 4 year warranty and only 38000 miles on the car. I guess Audi would rather pay for continued towings?? My car is currently "missing" which is how I know a coil will probably "go". I had the car in yesterday in an effort to prevent that, but they wouldn't (they say "couldn't") replace a coi until the "check engine" light comes on.
    I will never, never buy an Audi again. I hope you have better luck!!!
  • ramoncramonc Member Posts: 10
    BEWARE: Audi, a car company dedicated to "Truth in Engineering" cannot even get coils right. Just a winding of wires that has been around since the 1920's Audi technical experts just cannot come up with a long lasting performing coils for many of their motors leaving owners holding the expensive bag for repairs when out of guarantee.. I hop you got Bosh coils as they are a better produced car part. DO NOT OWN AN AUDI WITHOUT A GUARANTEE. It will drive you to the poor house. Audi's reputation is not as solid as they pretend it is. Eventually this will bite them in the sales department as, already, the rate of repeat buyers is low for a car company that barely sells 100,000 vehicles a year in the world's larget car market. You did well by not taking the car to an Audi dealer. Just call as ask for an estimate on coil replacement. Good luck.
  • paulg1946paulg1946 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '02 A4 3.0 with 90+k miles and perfect service records. In the last year, the dealer has replaced ALL ignition coils twice (second time under parts warranty). Unfortunately, the car is acting up again just like the previous times where I lose all power on the freeway. Dealer has the car trying to figure ot out as I told them I won't take it back until they figure out the problem--not fix the symptoms. Something else must be causing this. Any ideas?
  • wuzupwuzup Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 A4 1.8T 33K miles. In the last 5 months 2 window regulators and 2 coil went bad. The car is in the shop right now. I asked them to replace all coils as there seem to be quality problem. I was told it is not possible, they can only replace failed parts. My warranty is running out in 2 months. I have owned this car for 9 months now. Had it in the shop every second moth... my other car is a Toyota with 60K miles I have never had it in the shop for other than regular maintenance.
    I wonder why a company that positions itself in the luxury category cannot make cars that are a little more reliable? These are problems with parts that have been around for a long time. Buy AUDI only with warranty... you can take mine... still have 2 months :-)
  • sdsunsdsun Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2005 A4 Ultrasport with aftermarket upgrades. My car has 33,000 miles and its warranty just expired two weeks ago. I had my car at Audi for maint. on the day the warranty was going to expire.

Low and behold, two weeks later (11/02/08) i was driving home one evening and i lost power and my car started to shake. Thank god, I know people in the industry. I have a friend who has a speed shop, hooked my car up to the computer and it indicated coils 2 and 4 are bad. I love it when a car can tell you what's wrong.

The coil replacement is easy...pop off and pop back in. The coils cost about $40.00 each. So its not that bad. I was worried that it may be something more serious.

Its not that bad. Audi makes wonderful cars.

As with all cars, you need to try to get to know your car, and be able to attempt to do simple repairs on it.

Now, I know that this will be a problem in about 20,000 miles again, but is no big deal. My car takes care of me and I will take care of it. :)
  • mashina911mashina911 Member Posts: 1
    My '06 A4 2.0T, Q just got a new igintion coil today. The car only has 18K miles, I think this beats all of the above. This happened 3 days after I got my early 25K service and 15 miles later I started the car and it started to shake violently and then the check engine light started flashing and stayed on permanently. It took my dealer all day to find the problem although the computer said there was a problem in cylinder 4 right away. Good thing its a lease, this thing is going back as soon as the lease is over. And I don't think I will be getting another Audi soon. This was my 2nd one. Love the cars, too many problems. Although, I must say service has been very good, but it gets annoying to visit the dealer every other month.
  • AudiA404AudiA404 Member Posts: 1
    sdsun - Sounds like I have the same car as yours but a year older. My problem is that when I am idle, at a stop sign or light, the car's RPMs start to hiccup - every 5 seconds it goes low, car shakes and feels like its going to die, and then jumps up again to a normal idle. Looks like its going to cost me 125 bucks just to go to audi to have them diagnose the problem.

I already had 1 ignition coil go a year ago. Is this probably another?

If it is, my dad is a mechanic and wants to fix this himself instead of me paying an arm and a leg to have audi do it. You make it sound easy to complete yourself... Can you message me or email me the directions on how you did yours?
    Hello.

Sorry to hear about your coil problem. I would be more than happy to assist you. I have a great mechanic who works on Audi Porsche and VW. Don't go to the dealer. they are idiots.

The coils are easy to fix. They pop in and out. So easy I could do it. Much easier than changing a tire.

Get back to me and we can figure out how to connect.
  • crisis1crisis1 Member Posts: 1
    I was coming back home to FL yesterday from NC. On I 95, all of a sudden my car started shaking... spent the night in georgia, next day went to Advanced Auto Parts, they did a free diagnostic computer check, and i had a Misfire cylinder, first checkd if it was the spark plug, it was good.. than checkd the ignition coil... and that was the problem... bought a new one for 37$, popped the old one out put the new one in, done. problem solved...

at first i was worried if it was something more serious, but then i thot its most likely one of cylinders are out becuase the car can still drive but it shakes and its hard....

finally home and the cars running better than ever.. easy fix.
  • ChodaBoyChodaBoy Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2005 A4 1.8T 33K miles.

My passenger window regulator went bad -- So I brought it in to have it serviced. My warranty had JUST expired a day prior, but they were nice enough to extend it to cover the repair, as well as a 35k service.

They fixed the window -- but whatever bonehead they had do the repair, forgot to re-attach the door latch so I could no longer open the door from the inside.

After the holidays, as I was about to bring the car in again -- My engine suddenly won't turn-over.

I had it towed, and was informed that the Ignition Coil #4 shorted and melted the connector. They replaced the coil and repaired the wire.

The parts were $97, but the labor was over $500 -- Due to the fact that they had to run a system diagnosis on the car, and bypass my aftermarket stereo.

I pitched a [non-permissible content removed] and they knocked some $$ of the labor. But here's the kicker -- I get back into my car and the passenger door STILL won't open!

Unreal.
  • HassanA4HassanA4 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,I have an 2004 A4 1.8, with 83000 miles. My check engine light came on an I think it is an engine coil that needs to be replaced. I had one replaced about 6 months ago and i was wondering if there has been a recall on these items.
    Are you sure you have an ignition coil that needs to be replaced? Its a $30.00 part. And on an A4 you have four of them. You didn't indicate any signs that it is an ignition coil.

You should get your car hooked up to a computer to see what the real problem is. Depending on the error code, it may not be an ignition coil at all.
  • audiowner05audiowner05 Member Posts: 1
    hi sdsun, can you send me info on how to replace ignition coil? I'm having the same problem. thanks!
  • SoloKSoloK Member Posts: 2
    Sorry to bother you. My daughter came home last night with all the symptoms of the ignition coil problem on our 05 A4 1.8. You mentioned it was easy to replace the coils. Could I ask for the quick repair instructions? I'm inclined to replace all 4 so as not to have to deal with this again for a while.
  • SoloKSoloK Member Posts: 2
    I am going to answer my own question for anyone wanting to know how to change the ignition coil. It is very easy. These instructions apply to my 05 Audi A4. Just remove the plastic engine cover by turning the three screws a quarter turn. The cover lifts off exposing the engine. You will see the wiring for the 4 cylinders. Press back on the metal tab which will release the wire from the ignition coil itself. That is the ignition coil that you're looking at. Then simply lift the ignition coil out of the cylinder where it attaches to the spark plug. It is not screwed in, so simply lift it straight out. Insert a new ignition coil - I bought some for $30 each. Reattach the wire to the new ignition coil. Replace the plastic engine cover, and you're done! Now, the problem I had was that one of the coils had actually broken off, so that the bottom half was still attached to the spark plug after I removed the top. In that case, I used a long needle nosed pliers to reach in and remove the part still attached to the spark plug. Easy enough. At the auto parts store, I also purchased an Actron CP 9125 code scanner which told me that cylinders 3 and 4 were malfunctioning. (Cylinder 1 is closest to the front of the car). The scanners can be purchased for about $60 at Amazon. The parts store soaked me for $90 but I needed it right away. Good luck - it's really easy, try it!
  • darryl145darryl145 Member Posts: 1
    I own an 02 audi a4, and I'm constantly having problems with the ignition coils..now the car is no longer covered under warranty so i need a solution...I removed the cover from my engine and notice that the last mechanic that worked on my car put in an STI ignition coil in cylinder 1. The other three cylinders have stock coils in them..

Does anyone know if replacing all of the stock coils with after market coils will put an end to the constant replacement of them...or atleast make them last longer...?
  • damourerdamourer Member Posts: 1
    Doesn't looked like they have fixed the problem yet either. I have 2008 A4 2.0T that lost the number 2 and 3 coil at about 10,000 miles. I was on the road for about 2 hours, stopped for maybe half an hour, started the car up and to my surprise the engine was running very rough at idle with a check engine light on. Gave the engine a little gas (about 2,000 rpm) and when it dropped back to idle the engine was running fine again but the check engine light remained on. Drove it about 550 miles down the interstate at 70-90 mph mph and around town over the weekend (check engine light went away within 10 minutes of the idle returning to normal) waiting for the dealership to open up the following week with no notable power loss.
  • audia42004audia42004 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Folks,

The Break down:
    My Audi A4 1.8T 2004 started shaking and slowed down my way back from work.
    I pulled over and called Audi Dealership they told me to tow the car to service center right away and not to try to drive it further.

Diagnostic:
    As expected one of the 4 ignition coils was misfiring (I could also smell gasoline from my car's exhaust). I had extended warranty on my Audi so the diagnostic/labor/repair was covered and i only had to pay some deductible. I did that but i had read online in different forums that if one coil goes out other will follow within a month and I also got similar feedback from service manager at Audi dealership.

Repair and expenses
    So i paid for 1/2 hour extra labor and for rest of the coil from my pocket as warranty would only for cost associated with the replacement of bad one.
    All in all it cost me around $240 (Includes 3 addition coils($36 a piece), 1/2 hour labor and extended warranty deductible)

Thanks for reading, hope it helps.
  • premiumoatspremiumoats Member Posts: 1
    Seems like VW and Audi still has a design defect if these coils are going bad in other year models and before 100,000 miles. Generally speaking for all car manufacturers, there is an individual coil for each cylinder mounted directly on top of the spark plug. This design completely eliminates the high tension spark plug wires for even better reliability. Most of these systems are designed to last over 100,000 miles, which cuts down on maintenance costs. I have an '04 A4 Quattro 1.8L Turbo and one of my coils shorted out and my car sputtered and check engine light flashed just like everyone else is saying. This happened at 62,000. The labor was covered under warranty to replace all of them, but I had to pay for the parts which was around $36 each coil. Including the towing, it was a $357 total...this after I had just had it in for 60k service last week. I think it is a good idea for car owners to chat and compare - so thanks to anyone who takes the time to do this. This might be the only way we can keep the manufacturers in check.
  • jkm808jkm808 Member Posts: 1
    First off--thanks to everyone who posted their experiences here. It's been helpful in understanding my situation with 2005 A4 1.8T. In my continued research I discovered that Audi has announced a voluntary recall of some 2001-2007 Audis for ignition coil issues. The great news for many of you is that you may be able to recoup the money you've spent on replacing coils if your vehicle is one of the affected models! :shades: Here are all the details: http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/owners/main/recalls_campaigns/ignition_coil/a- ffected_vehicles.html#source=http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/owners/main/reca- lls_campaigns/ignition_coil.html&container=page
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Hey, I've been in the other forum for Maint and Repairs. Just saw this thread here. My 4th coil pack in ten months failed yesterday; took my Audi in today (A4 2005 1.8 Quattro). Yes, I was told there is a recall pending for my Audi. And they have an "exception" to do the fix in advance if people come in w/ failed coils. So, allegedly, they replaced all my suspect coils under the original warranty, long since expired. Nothing out of pocket. Woo Hoo! (As a rule of thumb, if a certain car part gets its own discussion thread on Edmunds, they should probably issue a recall.) ;)

:shades:
  • jackson6137jackson6137 Member Posts: 2
    I just got a notice that I am suppose to take my car in for an ignition coil inspection two days before I am going on a road trip. My local audi dealer knows nothing about it and says don't worry about it. Have any Q7 owners had ignition coils fail yet?
  • grimmesgrimmes Member Posts: 1
    Ok there is a re-call on the ignition coils for fost of all A4's . Free of charge.
  • araderarader Member Posts: 1
    This could be a really stupid question, but is it okay to drive once this ignition coil problem has reared its ugly head? I was 5 minutes on the road in my A4 today and it became hard to shift and the engine felt like it was seizing. I pulled over and the car was running very rough in neutral. The engine light came on. My question is if it's bad for the car to drive it to the dealership, or if it's better to have it towed. :confuse: Thanks for all the helpful info in this forum. I was afraid there was something terribly wrong, but this seems to be a common issue (hence the recall). Thanks!
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Are there still problems in new A4s? For the first time ever I took interest in an Audi, and in an A4, and I read these things :blush:
  • scotth7scotth7 Member Posts: 4
    Aldi is now making a recall and will fix the ignition coil problem or reimburse you if you had the fixed already.
  • holly10holly10 Member Posts: 1
    I want to buy a used Audi.I have owned Nissan ,ford ect..I am a Vehicle tech in the Forces. What is up with the coil proplem that I keep reading? I have had only one coil go on a car in my whole life and I am 50.Why do the coils fail every few months on the A 4, I want to buy 2002-2006?Can you buy a coil that will last for years?It still does not make sence?
  • mm2010mm2010 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 2006 A4 with about 25,000 miles on it. As soon as the warranty finished I have had problems with the first being the intake camshaft. Supposedly it was manufactured with a soft metal and wears over time and impacts the fuel pump and the pressure. Costly repair!! Once it was repaired the vehicle ran rough and the engine light came on and then started flashing. At first the dealer thought it was the coil but it took a few days to figure out the real problem...valve problems that cause the misfiring. Cost to repair quoted at $5,000!!!
    This was my first Audi and will be my last. Every car manufacturer has issues but the real test is how the manufacturer deals with the issues and their attitude. Audi's attitude is that it is your problem to figure out and they avoid dealing with you. And to add insult to injury the dealerships have the same attitude... like they are doing you a favor by servicing your vehicle. Give me a break!!
    I am done with Audi. I will go back to BMW.
  • eddie650eddie650 Member Posts: 26
    Sharing here my recent repair/service experience:

Took my 2005+ Audi A4 in for its 55,000 mile service and got back a report that the dealer needed to replace crankcase hoses and valves since they were coming apart. This dealer job on just the hoses/valves came to near $650.

They also performed a brake fluid flush which evidently isn't part of the 55,000 service. Not sure when this should have been done - as I have my service always done at the dealer.

Now I need to go back to the dealer next week since that center Audi emblem piece on one wheel came off while driving after the service yesterday. Seems that some repair folks don't put the wheel back on correctly and damage the clips holding on that center wheel piece.
  • bjbrooksbjbrooks Member Posts: 11
    Over the past few years I had over $1200 worth of work done for faulty ignition coils (2002 1.8T Quattro-5 spd). I was also driving on a bad cat con for a few years until I could afford to get it replaced. A new mechanic told me that the cat con issue was related to the faulty ignition coils. Has anyone else had that problem? Audi did not mention this (of course) in their reimbursement initiative, but I think it is worth looking into. The cat con work also cost me over $1200. The upkeep on these Audis is astronomical. I don't want to keep paying them for their bad parts.
  • marevicmarevic Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used audi A4 2006 with about 40k on it. It was Audi certified so it came with the 6yr/100k warranty. THANK GOD!!! Because this piece of s*** that I had for exactly 1 year now has been in the shop 9 times and I spent more time in a loaner than my actual car. First it was the valve problems that caused misfiring....this took their certified idiot technicians 4 trips back to the service for them to figure it out because problem just kept coming back. Then I took it in for normal 10k service, and right after that I smelled the oil burn. I was like ok this is normal right after they changed it, but month later I could still smell it and the low oil came on. Took it in..they kept it overnight called me next day say it's normal because where filters are in this car and with the turbo engine. Then 3 weeks later low oil came back on. I went back and screamed, and pretty much told them to keep it until the fix the s***. Well, the gasket ended up being replaced cuz it had a leak.

THen I had electrical problems that took 2 trips to the service to figure it out, and then just today, coil issue. The electric power control was just jacked, wouldnt pick up on the speed, blah blah. I call them, they say, oh yeah, Audi issued a service call to have all coils replaced. WTF? And then in 2000 miles I'm gonna have to take it in for the next 10k service? NOT!!!! The moment this piece of s*** is fixed, I am trading it in and getting another car. NEVER AUDI AGAIN!!!
  • eyateseyates Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8L with 95,000 miles on it. I was recently driving 2 hours to DC at about 65-70 mph and about 1.5 hours into the drive my car started shaking like I was on the rumble strips (but not). I quickly looked down at my gauges and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. All of the sudden my check engine light started flashing so I pulled over to the side of the highway and turned the car off. I got out of the car and looked under the hood, nothing seemed amiss there either. Tried to turn my car back on and it sounded like a rough idle with the car shaking a little. Turned it off and had it towed to an Audi dealership. The mechanic said he thought it sounded like a bad ignition coil, but then called back to say there isn't anything wrong with any of the coils but he couldn't figure otu what was wrong with the car.... anyone have any similar experience??
    An Audi deaership mechanic who "couldn't figure out" what the problem was??? I'm not buying that. It sounds EXACTLY like the problem I had over and over and over w/ ignition coils. Take it to a different dealer. Be careful -- an independent mechanic told me the problem w/ ignition coils probably led to my cat con problem, but Audi will not admit it. I'd bet money your issue is ignition coils, and I would be very leery of an Audi mechanic who would say he could not figure out the problem.
  • majsprmajspr Member Posts: 1
    Check out the following Audi Ignition Coil Service Campaign
    http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/owners/main/recalls_campaigns.html
    Hope this will help!
  • gapch1gapch1 Member Posts: 2
    My Audi currently is in the shop getting a new cat converter and 6 new ignition coils so yes, I have had the same issue. I become more and more disappointed with my Audi each day. I've only owned it 6 months (it's a 2004) and it's been in the shop 3 times, all separate issues!
    I have spent at least $15k on my car, many unrelated issues. Twice I had the windshield wiper motor replaced at nearly $500 each time. I am throwing good money after bad, but I now have a good, trustworthy mechanic. the only reason I keep it is beccause I really want to try to get my money out of it. I would never buy another one. Audi sucks.
  • slovinsky75slovinsky75 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue... I am bringing my Audi A4 06 in for the 3rd time in a month to resolve the "ignition" coils. They replaced them through the recall first (and this was my 3rd set of coils) and a week later, the check engine light came on. Brought it back to the shop and they told me it wasn't the coils, and they would need some time to figure it out. They added some "additives" to the gas and said this would fix the problem. Well, 3-4 days later, the check engine light back on. Finally have the time to bring it back in... and they swear up and down it's not the IC, but the computer is reading it as an IC problem.
    Does this sound right? Is there another problem that would cause the same symptoms as ICs (rough idling, shaky accelerations sometimes)?
    I am not a mechanic, but I find it hard to believe that it could be anything else. You probably need to find a good non-dealer mechanic who has the diagnostic tools to find your problem. That is a sticky situation, because I do not trust Audi dealers in this, but it is in their best interest to replace the coils. Also, watch out for much more expensive catalytic converter issues related to the IC. Audi is not paying for that now -- I paid $1200 for the cat con replacement! I still am having a hard time with Audi dealers who cannot figure out the problem. You need to be talking to headquarters.
  • mik63mik63 Member Posts: 2
    Not really....
    You have to send them the receipts by Feb 28, 2010 !!!!
    I received my letter at the end of Jan 2010...
  • mik63mik63 Member Posts: 2
    I have emailed Audi's customer support and asked them to cover anyway...; I am waiting to hear their reply.
    It is ridiculous to ask customers to turn all papers in less than 30 days..; like we are all just waiting for Audi's recalls in our daily lives...!
    Audi has also a bunch of other recalls they should do but refuse to do: sunroof leaks (it is a recall on VW but not on Audi, even if it is the identical part), air suspensions in Allroads, etc...
    Audi is as good in car design as they are BAD in customer support and customer care !
  • audi_bc53audi_bc53 Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2010
    Don't get me started. since I bought my 2002 A4 3.0L (brand new), I have spent $10,000 on repairs. That does not include the FREE repairs made under the initial warranty period which included a broken window motor on the driver's side (twice), all 6 ignition coils in 2003, left fan motor, windshield wiper motor (twice), windshield wiper linkage.

I will not go to the dealer if I can help it. They tried to convince me once that I was in dire need of new brake pads and did some very fast backpedaling after I reminded them that THEY had installed new pads 3 months earlier.

I now keep an Excel file of every repair on my car along with date and mileage.

My left bank catalytic converter failed about a year ago, along with the O2 sensors - this is the first time I've seen this linked to the ignition coils. I'd like to know more. That was an expensive repair even though it was not done by the dealer.

But I have another question - I had all the coils replaced last week at the dealer. 3 days later my check engine light came on and when I brought it back I was told that the Evap Purge Valve had failed. This seems like a real coincidence considering they had just serviced the car. Could these 2 issues be connected? It cost me $350 to get it fixed!
    I guess I am not surprised that you have had some of the same repairs I have. But 2 windshield wiper motors to have failed is uncanny. I am now waiting for them to reimburse me for the $1200 I spent on ignition coils. My check engine light has been on for about 4 years, and no matter what repair they perform, it comes right back on. Ask your independent mechanic if there is a link between the IC issue and the valve. Too much of a very expensive coincidence there.
  • basty28basty28 Member Posts: 4
    I just got my 2003 A6 Quattro 3.0 today from the dealership and they replace the coils but the engine light is still on. They said that the engine light could still be on because of my catalytic converter. They want me to pay 120.00 to be diagnosis, when its seems like the catalytic converter is affected by the coils. Does the ignition coils affect the catalytic converter? And if it does shouldn't it be part of the recall that it needs to be replace or repair by Audi?
  • basty28basty28 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2010
    I saw this on mylemon.com:

"A note about driving the car with a failed coil pack: VWoA has told owners that driving the car may cause damage to the catalytic converter due to unused fuel contaminating the converter. There is also some speculation by B5.5 drivers that it's also possible the unused fuel will contaminate the oil on the cylinder wall and get past the rings. Thus, this may result in increased wear on the rings and cylinder wall; moreover, if the fuel enters the crank case the oil can be thinned which may lead to premature wear of bearings."
    An independent mechanic told me my cat con issue was probably due to bad ic's. Audi is not taking any responsibility for this. I believe it will require another class action suit, like the timing belt. I paid $1200 for my cat con repair. My check engine light has still been on for about 4 years. One repair after another, and it is still on. (2002 A4 Quattro)
    Good luck with the reimbursement. I had one of mine done by my mechanic (car was shaking so badly I didn't want to drive it to the dealer). I paid $155, which is probably half what Audi would have normally charged, and they reimbursed me $85.
    One other note - my $10,000 in repairs over 8 years was primarily spent at a private, non-dealer garage. I paid $1500 for a timing belt and water pump - Audi wanted $2500. Catalytic Converter & O2 sensors $1600 vs $2000 quoted by Audi. Audi charged me $50 once to change a light bulb (30 minutes minimum labor charge). It goes on and on. I love my Audi but I hate the dealerships.
  • 02a402a4 Member Posts: 1
    So my '02 A4 3.0 failed emissions due to a bad cat con. I had the car in Pep Boys a few months back and error codes 300/301/302/304/306 and PO432 all were present. When I asked the mechanic what needed to be done, he said we will just clear them and if the problem continues to bring it back...Well clearly the failed ignition coils did not fix themselves so here I am. Had I researched it before I would have fixed the problem then. Anyway, I called Audi regarding the Coil Recall and she said they will correct the problem at no charge, So I asked her since faulty coils and a misfiring engine cause a cat con to go bad, you will replace the cat con free of charge as well? She put me on hold, returned and said to take it to the dealer and if THEY determine the bad coils were the cause of the bad cat con they will replace it. So is there any way to prove that the coils that they have recalled caused my cat con to fail, other than the fact that cat cons fail when the engine misfires??????