Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Mazda3

Comments

• dilbertsdubdilbertsdub Member Posts: 16
    The VW 2.5 engine revs "louder" upon start up only IMO ( i traded my Junkwagen 2.5 for the Mazda 3s 2.5) In every other application, acceleration, cruising,..etc the Mazda seems quite a bit more communicative or louder. In addition to the engine being heard more in the Mazda, so too is the wind noise and road noise although i find it acceptable since I also find the Mazda to be a bit more sporty vehicle than the 2.5 Jetta.
  • texastownhalltexastownhall Member Posts: 22
    (I just posted this on prices paid but thought it may be more appropriate here.)

Trying to decide between two cars. Dealer offer both for a same price (around $18500) + 0.0% financing.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
  • kmoenkmoen Member Posts: 2
    Is anyone having issues with their Bluetooth? I just got a 2010 Mazda3 Hatch - no nav - and the Bluetooth is TERRIBLE. First they said my Verizon Dare wasn't compatible, so I upgraded to a Blackberry (checked first to make sure it was compatible). 1 out of 10 calls is ok, but the other 9 are either complete static, or the other person says I am completely garbled, sound underwater, or sound like I'm in a well.

Called Mazda and they said to take it in, as they said it sounded like it was bad. Dealership isn't noticing any problems, so saying nothing to fix.... am I crazy or is someone else experiencing this??
  • whobodymwhobodym Member Posts: 190
    I also have a 2010 hatch, a GS with Nav. I am not that frequent of a phone user, but 10 or 20 calls over the one month I've had the car have all been acceptable. I have a Verizon LG ordinary flip phone which I keep in my front pants pocket. I have never yet had a phone call with anyone else when it was they driving my car not me (it is my car after all). Sorry, don't know what to advise -- except, don't take no for an answer!
  • kmoenkmoen Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm hearing the bluetooth in the cars with Nav is a different type/model. I actually think this is the issue, as when I test drove one with nav, I had a great bluetooth experience... and now, not so much :)

I'm going back on Saturday and having someone stay with them while I call their cell from the car.

Guess I should have splurged for the one with nav package, after all! Who knew?
    Haven't had any issues with the Bluetooth and I too do not have Nav. However sometimes i can hear a bit of static and I find when i move the phone out of the cup colder and put in the cubby by the left drivers knee that the static seems to go away. hope this helps.
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    Is there a big difference in real world use of the MPG, acceleration and ride. I was able to rent a 3i automatic and in 80 miles (70 highway, 10 city with light traffic) and got 37 MPG. Can't rent an S in NYC and the dealers only give a short test drive and won't allow a highway test.

It seems from the MPG threads that although the sticker says the s only gets 2MPG less that many with the AT get poor mileage.

Is the s model's ride substantially different and for highway merging and passing is it significantly better than the i?
    my own car is a 2010 3s 6MT I've now owned for 6 weeks. My driving is mostly urban/suburban, 5 miles on streets, then 15 miles at freeway speeds, which for me are usually about 70. My trip computer "average mpg" has stayed steadily between 26 and 27 mpg. I came out of an Integra GS-R so I didn't even consider the 3i (plus I hate sedans). The 3s has pleasantly surprised me at how fast it feels, almost as fast as the GS-R and not nearly as frantic about it. The 3s's ride seems quite firm to me, and I like it a lot. I'd suggest taking that short test drive in a 3s to decide about ride and power, and decide which way you want based on that. You can still buy a lot of gasoline with the money you don't spend on a car you don't like.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    edited April 2010
    According to the Hamilton Spectator newspaper:
    "The all-new 2011 Mazda2 will arrive in Canadian showrooms in early summer with a starting manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of C$13,995".

p.s. I wish someone at Edmunds would create a separate folder for the Mazda2
    This is a message to pf flyer the host of this forum: Can a separate forum be created for the upcoming Mazda2? There is lots of interest in this model and it would be a shame if the discussion was buried (as it is now in the Mazda3 forum).
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Once the car launches and isn't a "future vehicle", it will get a group of its own.

But for now, you probably want to get in on the Mazda2 discussion over on the future vehicles board. ;)
    Thanks Bob! :)

I
    My 2010 MZ3 5 door, assembled in Apr 2009, had one of the attachment nuts for the rear spoiler (the "visor" thing) come loose, staying invisible but loose inside the hatchback frame. It would slide up and down "ssshhhh...clack" when I raised and lowered the hatch, some of the time. (other times, it stayed wedged in place). Got a warrantee fix today at the dealer; they promised they put LocTite on it this time. I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to fix yourself but I didn't want to risk plastic interior panel damage on such a new car, yanking off all the attachment clips to get at it.
  • mtenamtena Member Posts: 58
    We took delivery of our non-Nav iTouring sedan last week and have been pleased with the Bluetooth experience thus far. We've paired our two iPhones to the Mazda3 and call quality has generally been good (taking into account ambient road noise, etc.). We've actually been pleasantly surprised with the audio quality that comes through the iPod portion of the iPhone. Sounds just like a CD to me, with our Bose system that came with the car (along with moonroof). We'll share our other experiences as we put more miles on the car.
  • diehard080diehard080 Member Posts: 19
    Thats interesting - I use that change slot / feed area for the code reader also to store my cell phone - it seems to be a good spot . I dont have any experience with the navi/bt system versus non-navi( long term anyway) but people who own both report similar experiences . I decided that the advanced Key/Mimi-Navi/siris/perimeter alarm pac was unnecesacary for my ultimate needs. I would use the navi possibly 1-2xs per year and god knows I dont need my key to let me just grab the door - nice but I got the S-GT HB and I have enough gadgets and the more you get the more you need to maintain down the line.
    ;) But the BT issue --sometimes I have a phone ringing and the the radio pops back on then I get a connection and the person I called is saying "hello" " hello" --so theres sometimes a glitch but it works ultimately !! If you have a weak provider and a baseline phone then you get issues that relate directly to conectivity and thats NOT the cars fault . I know because I use VZ and my wife has ATT with a terrible LG and she always has disconnects and I have had 1 in 3 months . So it has at least 50% to do with carrier/equipment and location where your service is - I sell Mazdas and I was with Porsche /Audi and Mercedes-Benz and the same problems existed ---its still a relatively new technology with a lot of ansulary factors that need to be worked out on all systems . For now - we have at the least a working system thats safe- K
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    @diehard
    BT is 16 year old technology and is pretty cut and dry in terms of how it works. Yeah, it's not ancient like GPS but it's still late 20th century technology.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I know I'm a bit behind here, but, lemme see if I can help...

First, Verizon is having problems with their Bluetooth phones. This is not just a problem relegated to Mazda. If you have a Verizon phone, especially a Blackberry, there are connection problems.

To be clear, this is a problem between Verizon and Bluetooth. It has nothing to do with Mazda.
    Amazingly what little bluetooth issues I had previously seem to have been eradicated by the switch to another provider ,T-mobile, albeit with the new google nexus one, which seems to have a much stronger signal for both call reception and data. No more static and no more having to move the phone around in different locations trying to get a better reception from the bluetooth. I notice that when picking up an incoming call sometimes you may have to say hello twice before the call actually connects. Dialing out doesn't seem to have any issues whatsoever.

On a side note i've got 10,000 miles on my vehicle, one door ding (at least its on the fender crease which seems to hide it better) and only one unusual quirk that I can't manage to replicate.

The unusual quirk occurred one rainy day when I happened to be driving quite briskly home and took a short cut road that involves two back to back very sharp turns. (right, then left)

Suffice to say the traction control was activated but it was during the last turn when I mashed the gas pedal a bit too much and had the traction control flash at me for minor (minor being less than 1 full second) wheelspin that it stayed completely lit along with the steering malfunction indicator light. When I got to the next stop light, i turned off the car and then quickly re-started and all lights went back to normal. It has never done this since then even though my driving habits are no better (or worse) now.

Have a great Memorial day weekend!
  • saaksaak Member Posts: 9
    I notice that the 2010 Mazda 3i sedans have undergone a mid-year redesign of the front fascia. The front fascia of the sedan i trims now look identical to the sedan s trims. Does anyone know why the change was made? To simplify production? Or to simplify fog light installation?
    saak
  • anayaelfanayaelf Member Posts: 8
    I have used the bluetooth in my 2010 Mazda 3 sedan a few times and I haven't had any problems hearing anyone or having them hear me. I keep the phone in the cupholder between the seats to make sure there is a good reception between the phone and bluetooth. I don't know if you do the same. I don't have nav in my car either so I hope this helps.
    Mazda Has made several mid-year changes one of which I am GLAD I made the cut on but at the time didnt realize it ! First the Mazda 3 S-GT hatchbacks were all outfitted with side mirror turn indicator lights . Then that evaporated and was only avaliable on the Speed-3 , of course on the Speed-3 no xenons or leds were ever avaliable. It did urk me a bit because I wanted those indicator lights as I believe they are a HUGE safety accessory . What the heck - I wanted the 0% apr for 60 mos and thats the price I paid . There were a few left sparsly all over different Nor Cal dealers but nobody had the 3 color choices I wanted or that had big time demo miles logged --NO THANKS to led-footed demo roaches that just want to hammer the heck out of a new car to prove it can measure up to something else they bought. So I found my 5D HB S-GT Mazda3 with Bose/Roof pax in Silver w 2 miles on it !
    . Heres the catch ---right about late January the Faux - Pontoon intake grilles located on either side of the front main grill did actually serve a purpose ! Well we all know that the rectangular fog lights are located in the lower portion of both sides HOWEVER ......on the DRIVERS SIDE the black pontoon grill WAS FUNCTIONAL ... If you were an early buyer or a late buyer that got older stock ( ME) right behind that drivers pontoon grill was a dedicated 6" x 4" TRANSMISSION COOLER !!!! Yes thats right a dedicated transmission cooler --now they have dropped it on ALL hatchbacks and sedan GT-S models for good and its a blocked out solid piece of black plastic just like the passengar side is !

I got one and they did it again to save $$$. Sorry to those who didnt get one Im sure you are fine but I personally like knowing that my Trans. is staying at a regulated temp for long life . The fact that they eliminated that says quite a bit and I attribute it to cheap skate buyers that keep trying to fleece the dealers below invoice --so to all you cheap skates thanks for turning Mazda backwards towards a cheaper car by not paying a simple profit to the dealer --
  • marsdogmarsdog Member Posts: 9
    Wow, thanks for that info! I was definitely one of the earliest buyers and I was hesitant to buy so early, based on the old premise of never buying a first run of a new model. After reading your post I'm so glad I did! I knew about the dropping of the side turn signals (and agree about their importance), but had no idea about the cooler. In fact, I had to run outside and see if I have one, and glad to know that I do! I was attracted to this car for many reasons, but one was the value for the amount of technology and accessories available. In an effort to keep the price low, Mazda has effectively raised prices by clandestinely dropping equipment that isn't easily noticed by an excited buyer at a dealer! At least I know when it's time to sell my car, I can tout it as being virtually unique with both side markers and tranny cooler! :)
    Hey Marshdog- I must say I would have glady paid even sticker just to have the turnsignals also - as yes you are driving a special vehicle that god only knows how many actually made it to the USA fully equipped , but given the chioce I am glad the Trans cooler is in mine - worst case is I could lay out big $$ to change the mirrors but --I dont think I want to afford it --good job because I just took my first major trip up hwy 1 north of SF Calif. thru Bodega bay , Point Reyes and Nicasio Resivor and this car cuts through those switchbacks like its dancing effortlessly in a sublime and unchallenged contest to have every car on the road move off to the right and I continually had to look down and say "Am I really going that fast?" because Im not even pushing it ---it was a thing of beauty that had me smiling from ear to ear --this new 2010 is better than my 2009 lexus 250is was in EVERY WAY--thats no joke/ also no contest with my now sold 2008 Mazda3 S-GT HB :shades: - I would sure feel stupid driving that 2010 Lexus is250 thats actually a Toyota Corolla on roids ..or not just looking like it is ---look closely they are the SAME CAR --Toyota you dont fool anybody but Toyota drivers ,,thats like taking candy from a baby.
  • marsdogmarsdog Member Posts: 9
    That's great to hear! I love my car and know it's awesome, but to hear the comparison from a Lexus owner, well... that's quite a statement! I've always liked the is250, and if money were a bit looser, I probably would have looked more closely at it, but seems fate helped me make the right choice! :)
  • aiwa112aiwa112 Member Posts: 7
    anyone who has a 2010 or earlier mazda 3 hb and has driven it in snow, can you let me know your experiences in the snow and if snow tires (which ones) helped out a lot. thanks
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    My 2009 Mazda3 5-Speed did prefectly well during the winter of 2008-2009 (when we had 95" of snow in our very hilly New England town) shod with only Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires.
    anyone who has a 2010 or earlier mazda 3 hb and has driven it in snow, can you let me know your experiences in the snow and if snow tires (which ones) helped out a lot

It's good that you're planning ahead! The simple truth is if you drive in the snow, buy snow tires. You may be able to get away with all seasons for the first year, but one slide in the snow, could result in thousands of dollars damage, so why risk it? Michelin, Bridgestone, Yokohama, Toyo, etc. make great snow tires.

p.s. My snow tires have lasted eight winters!
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    My 2009 Mazda3 5-Speed did prefectly well during the winter of 2008-2009 (when we had 95" of snow in our very hilly New England town) shod with only Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires.

My 2007 MS3 runs Pirelli PZero Nero All Seasons from November to March and I have no problem driving in winter weather.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    edited June 2010
    My snow tires have lasted eight winters!

Experts warn that tires more than six years old can fail catastrophically

Read more: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/24390155/#ixzz0qt357ZhG

as you say "why risk it"? Better buy some new tires.
    My 2007 MS3 runs Pirelli PZero Nero All Seasons from November to March and I have no problem driving in winter weather.

Impressive for a Mazdaspeed.....I guess tires make all the difference. WIth the OEM, winter driving is a major challenge.
    edited June 2010
    Better buy some new tires.
    Already done! Thanks for the article.
    my Mazda3 SGT 5dr 6MT is just back from a 3300 mile trip, Seattle-San Diego, which gave enough time to carefully check the speedometer and odometer against all the mileposts we saw in the middle of nowhere. A surprise! Unlike every other car I've owned before going back to '77 Rabbit, the speedometer does not exaggerate the car's speed. It's nearly exactly accurate. Too bad the Nevada Highway Patrol noticed before I did... And the odometer underreads by 3% -- 50 miles of mileposts in eastern Oregon registered only 48.5 miles on the car's odometer. So the gas mileage is that much better than what I previously thought. My car has the stock OEM 17" wheels with stock 205/50-17 Yokohama tires. (other tire brands may have slightly different circumferences, which could affect this.)
    I got odd results from my 2010 MZ3 SGT navigation system driving back from Southern California to the Pacific NW via Nevada and Eastern Oregon. Boron CA to Death Valley to Tonapah NV to Winnemucca NV are all 2-lane roads, but most of the segments have 70mph speed limits, and there is only light traffic all the way. As I programmed in each successive destination, the car gave me ETAs that implied an average speed of only 40mph or so. We routinely arrived at each point 2 hours or so ahead of the initial ETA, and watched the arrival time descend minute by minute the whole way getting there. What gives? (The southbound trip was all on I-5, and the estimates were all much more reasonable)
  • katiejo49katiejo49 Member Posts: 7
    When I got my Mazda 3i touring, the salesman set up the bluetooth. I loved it!! Now my phone died & I had to get a new phone, it's the same brand (samsung) but a different model & the bluetooth no longer works.

Can someone explain step by step (explain like I'm in kindergarten) how to re program the new phone into the car? Thanks so much.....
    Have you tried looking in your Owner's Manual?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    What is this "Owners Manual" you speak of?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

:D
    "What is this "Owners Manual" you speak of?"

Sorry; lost my mind, just for a second. :P
    it's that 800 page book, the "manual" part means the few sentences that come between the 4,000 warnings of death/injury.
    Host,

Can we please have a Mazda2 thread? There has been a few for the Fiesta for a while, and the Mazda2's are due here in less then a month.
    Can we please have a Mazda2 thread?
    Agreed!
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Can we please have a Mazda2 thread?

Seconded (or thirded) :)
    Can't anyone who wants to start a new topic...such as "Mazda2"?
    Hang on... I'm checking where the group should land (I think it might wind up in sedans), but I anticipate that a new group is just around the bend ;)
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    A new group IMO is the way to go, since most (if not all) of these sub-compacts are available as a sedan, hatch, even a Crossover (the new Mini Countryman)...
    Well at the moment, the only body style listed on the Mazda2 info page here at Edmunds is a sedan, so that's why I'm thinking it will wind up there
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Only the 5-door Hatchback version of the Mazda2 will be sold in the U.S. and Canada...so it seems like "Hatchback" would be the appropriate category (for the moment). A 3-door Hatchback is sold in Europe and Australia. A 4-door sedan built in Thailand is also sold in Australia in addition to to Southeast Asia. However, the 4-door sedan is not sold in Europe and won't be sold in North America either.

The "Body Style" forum categories could use a bit of an overhaul. The current categories are Convertible, Coupe, Hatchback, SUV, Sedan, Truck, Van and Wagon. I'd like to see groupings by size rather than body style - Subcompact (Mazda2), Compact (Mazda3), Mid-size (Mazda6), etc. Just a thought....
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    Only the 5-door Hatchback version of the Mazda2 will be sold in the U.S. and Canada...so it seems like "Hatchback" would be the appropriate category (for the moment).

True, "hatchback" is the appropriate category based on what I have read about the Mazda2.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    It will be interesting to see how well the hatchback-only Mazda2 sells here in the U.S. It may have a few less techno-tricks than the Ford Fiesta, but a loaded Mazda2 Touring has a sticker price of only $16,185...a lot of car for the price!

But Mazda needs to update the transmissions (to at least a 6-speed manual and 5-speed automatic) and find another 15-20hp along the way, too! =) And why are they showing the car in 'Spirtied Green Metallic' in all the media photos (Kermit would love it)???
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    Hi everyone,

Here are the changes for the 2011 Mazda3. Enjoy!

■Standard Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and Traction Control (TCS) on all models
    ■Power door locks with auto-lock function added to i SV and i Sport models
    ■Rain-sensing wipers, auto on/off headlights, Bi-Xenon auto-leveling headlights, Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) and rear LED taillamps available on s Sport models with A/T
    ■Standard 265-Watt Bose Centerpoint 10-speaker surround sound audio system with Audiopilot (s Grand Touring)
    ■Standard in-dash six-disc/MP3 compatible CD changer (s Grand Touring)
    ■Standard moonroof with one-touch open (s Grand Touring)
    ■Standard coolant "low temperature" warning light (all models)