Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus GX and LX Satellite Radio

anthonyl88anthonyl88 Member Posts: 15
I just got my new 2008 Lexus GX470 and was interested in buying the XM Radio. Lexus of Manhattan wanted $895 installed for the XM Radio. Is this a good price? Seem a little high to me. Anybody bought one? What did you paid?

Comments

• Options
    vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    I paid about the same. The parts are about 500, and the rest is installation.
  • Options
    I spoke to my Lexus sales person and I got the price down to $695.00 + taxes installed. So, I guess this is a pretty good deal.
  • Options
    vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
  • Options
    tomtomatotomtomato Member Posts: 1
    I would not recommend purchasing XM radio service in a Lexus. I have an IS 350 which was purchased with XM radio and has upgraded audio. I subscribed for a few months, but the XM radio sound quality is very poor so I cancelled. Audio quality is noticeably worse than FM, CDs, MP3 CDs or my iPhone. What's the point of having an upgraded audio system if the source isn't up to the task? My Lexus dealer confirmed that other customers have mentioned poor audio quality as a problem with XM radio.

To make matters worse, after discontinuing my service, XM radio started calling me at home from the number 888-229-7796 two or more times a day for over two weeks. When the caller leaves a voicemail they never identify themselves as calling from XM radio. They just say my name repeatedly in the voicemail which is very annoying. I have contacted XM radio twice to request removal from their do not call list, but I have read that people find this difficult to do and I have not yet had success. If you Google the phone number 888-229-7796 you will find MANY consumer complaints about XM radio's harassing sales calls once you discontinue service.

Do yourself a favor. Save some money and don't buy your Lexus with XM radio. If it comes that way just ignore it.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    XM radio sound quality is very poor

I think the blame lies with the Toyota Lexus audio systems. My GMC with Bose had XM and it was wonderful. As good as the CD quality and far better than FM or AM. I have a 2007 Seqouia Limited with JBL sound that is marginal at best. Cannot get an XM unit even though the dealer told me I could. The CD player skips on a regular basis and AM & FM are about the same low quality as any other car audio. Try the XM in a Cadillac and see if what I am saying is not so.
  • Options
    BobsGT235BobsGT235 Member Posts: 63
    I have personally installed the Lexus XM radio in my earlier 2006 and current 2007 GX470. On both vehicles, the sound quality was as good as a CD or iPod.
  • Options
    Fortunately, I never got the XM radio in my 2008 GX470. Has anybody ever changed the head unit on the GX470 and replace it with a new custom head unit?
  • Options
    smith34931smith34931 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to install XM radio in my 2004 GX 470. I went to a Best Buy and talked to the installer. He said there is no decent place to install the radio anywhere on the dash. His only solution would be to use a suction cup bracket (a la Tom Tom or Garmin GPS) stuck to the left side of the windshield, which for security reasons would not be a great idea. Is that where yours is installed or did someone come up with a better solution for you?
  • Options
    teebomanteeboman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 GX 470. CAn you send me a link to the website where you can purchase the radio. I will figure out someone to install it.

Thanks,
    my email is johnepatton@yahoo.com
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please don't ask for "personal" help via email. We all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum. Thanks.
  • Options
    BobsGT235BobsGT235 Member Posts: 63
    I installed the Lexus XM Radio kit on both the 06 and my current 07 GX. I don't believe the Lexus XM kit will work on earlier year GX vehicles.
  • Options
    prestontraderprestontrader Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a certified 2009 Lexus GX470. I purchased a satellite radio to be added to the car. The satellite radio sounds awful in the car (it has the Mark Levinson stereo), changes channels by itself and takes about 4-5 seconds to change between stations. They have replaced the interface twice and we still get the same results. The tech doing the work the last time told me that they make a Toyota/Lexus integrated system that would fix this. Does anyone know anything about this? The Lexus dealer is telling me the one they put in was the 'authorized' system but I really don't believe them.

Also, what year did they start putting the 'fin' transponder on the GX's?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.