Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

98 Chev Astro Van doesn't pump fuel. HELP PLS!

deborahndeborahn Member Posts: 4
I have a 98 Chev Astro van. It acted by it was running out of gas the other day, I pulled over, it didn't die. I took gas cap off, put it back on and vehicle ran fine for about 70-80 more miles! Got it home okay. The next day, the vehicle started okay. I had decided to change the fuel filter just in case. After changing it, the vehicle would not start. The fuel pump is not pumping fuel and the vehicle won't start now. I can pour fuel into the throttle body and it will start, but won't stay running because it is not pumping fuel. Does anyone have a clue what is going on?

Comments

• Options
    spike99spike99 Member Posts: 239

Sounds like your '98 van's fuel pump is blown. If wondering, blown fuel pumps are common "design weak spots" within the Astro / Safari van line. Their fuel pump is within the gas tank and uses a "push" pumping design. If gas tank levels are below 1/4 tank too often (especially during its many years of usage), the pump seems to blow. Keeping tank levels above 1/2 makes its fuel pump last much longer - so I've been tol.

To replace the van's fuel pump, one must drop its gas tank and replace its "in tank" pump. Many purchase replacement fuel pumps off E-Bay or AC Delco (from GM dealer). Many use AC Delco replacement pumps instead of OEM pumps. When dropping the gas tank, many replace its "over rusty" gas tank straps as well. And, add longer rubber hoses above the gas tank - to ease its future tank removal. I hear its factory above tank hoses are too short and become a PITA.

For a picture of pump and entire assembly, surf: http://go.delphi.com/CS/documents/DPSS_Documents/Images/FG0068V_Top_Image.jpg

Note: When replacing the pump unit, many replace the entire assembly. And yes, they are expensive to replace (compared to a rebuilt kit). Some auto shops charge $900 for parts and labor. If you can, drop the tank yourself and save the labor hours. Thus, cutting your cost by 1/3.

Hope this helps...

• Options
    dmainsdmains Member Posts: 4
    1996 Chevy Astro Pumping no fuel. Fuel pump not turning on. If I jump d2 to c3 on FP relay the fuel pump runs and car starts. Changed relay but same problem.
    Any suggestions?
  • Options
    themagicalpoetthemagicalpoet Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Astro Cargo van AWD the the gas pump it seem to be working but it seem that no gas is get in the injection system it will cranck but will not start can any one help me please
  • Options
    nycm13946nycm13946 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone please help me? I have a 1996 astro van that I can turn on but the wheels won't turn and the brakes don't work. Everything was fine when I park the night before. What is wrong and can I expect to pay a lot to have it fix?

I will appreciate any help!
  • Options
    Steve_01Steve_01 Member Posts: 42
    Check the serpentine belt. Sounds like you somehow lost the belt. It runs the power steering pump and also on some models, like mine, runs the hydrolic brake pump. If you find that the belt is off/missing, don't run the engine. The belt also runs the water pump which keeps the engine from overheating. A new belt cost's between $20 to $60 ? depending on where you buy it. I think the going rate for labor is around $65 to $100+ per hour and it should only flat rate at about .25 or 15 minutes to replace so if you don't do it yourself, call around but mostly find a reputable shop! It's worth paying an few extra bucks if you find a good shop that won't rip you off.
  • Options
    russ75707russ75707 Member Posts: 7
    I too have a 1995 Astro,and am currently on my 4th fuel pump @ 250,000 + miles and I bought van w 105,000 miles on it in 2003.Anyone will tell u,on an astro/safari no gas from tank = bad fuel pump.Last time the harness on mine melted (the whole thing is in the gastank)but I caught this one first,bought new pump,and drove it almost empty first.You have to drop the tank and slide it out from under vehicle to change pump.The lighter the better
  • Options
    russ75707russ75707 Member Posts: 7
    If u lost ur serpantine belt look on ur power steering resavoir there should b a routing diagram,get a 1/2 inch (13mm?)socket w wrench BIGGER than 1/4 :sick: (it will break)loosen tensioner by turning the way arr :sick: :sick: ow sorry,the way arrow indicates on tensioner,put new belt on and save urself a lotta money
  • Options
    graylinergrayliner Member Posts: 39
    Youtube has god how-to videos. Expert village has many on youtube. Still, I'm getting the Service Repair Manuals I found on craigslist.

I did my serpentine belt as preventative maintenance -don't want that sucker breaking out in the hills.

The diagram sticker on the power steering fluid reservoir is pretty good. I started with the loop that goes around the fan shaft pulley. The belt seemed inside-out to me when I was feeding a loop up into the fan area from underneath. I kinda got it started easier after leaving it the sun to remove packaging bends (I got a cheapo).
  • Options
    cmatusowcmatusow Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 chevy astro van and the transmission "slips" when shifting between 2 and 3 gear.No light came on and the van has only 77200 original miles on it.Any i?dea what can be wrong?.Thanks
  • Options
    recox286recox286 Member Posts: 1
    What you need to do in this case, is to get a fuel pressure test gage kit that you can hook into the fitting near the back of the engine. Then you have to know which injection system is on the truck because there are
    different systems, each with their own pressure specifications. Once you have done that, you will be able to properly diagnose the problem. Either the pump is bad, or the fuel pressure regulator is bad.

Good luck, and happy hunting.

Bob
  • Options
    yea65yea65 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Chevy Astro Van Cargo Van that will crank but not start. Could this be the fuel pump and if so how do you change it. What other possibilities could it be besides fuel pump?
  • Options
    07obalt07obalt Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    To do it yourself you just need a floor jack and some woods to hold it with on the jack. loosen the two bolts holding the straps that hold the tank up. take a screwdriver and something to hit the end with and knock the top ring off and from there you should know what to do... BTW to don't even run the car with low fuel in the tank... the pumps are cooled with the gas that is running tho it... if its not there then it will fry the pump.. at least that what happen to me. You also may as well change the relay it cost nothing to replace.
  • Options
    titaniumjoetitaniumjoe Member Posts: 1
    97 astro with 268K on her. Trying to get it to pass smog but three sensors are not reporting to the computer thus not allowing me to pass smog. No codes or check engine lite is on. Any suggestions. I tried to take it to speed of 65 for a long period of time and then coasting to a stop with my emergency flashers on. No luck anyone know of another trick to get the sensors to report?
    TJ