Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2009 Ford Edge

goateegoatee Member Posts: 51
Seems like Ford needs to keep up with the competition & fast. I currently own an 08 Edge Limited and its the best I crossover I ever drove in my opinion. I thought with the market being the way it is and the new Venza now available that Ford would make several important updates. Thinks like adequeate instrument panel lighting, cooled seats, defogging outside mirrors, turn signal repeaters for the outside mirrors, and several small interior improvements such as lihgted glove box and console area and nicer soft touch door panels and instrument panel pieces. Come on Ford! The Venza will challenge our sales quickly, we need to stay on top.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's the 2009 Toyota Venza Crossover discussion if you want to compare notes.

How do you think the '09 Scion xB compares Goatee? It seems to mimic the Edge shape a bit but I suppose it's smaller.
  • Options
    goateegoatee Member Posts: 51
    Steve, your right, tie Scion is smaller and I think in this segment the size most buyers are looking for is that Edge/MKS-Venza-Murano size. I really feel that Ford should have stepped it up just a notch especially with competition being what it is today.
  • Options
    stewpidasostewpidaso Member Posts: 45
    ford really needs to offer an alternative motor for the edge. 3.5 is nice an all but mpg isn't the greatest. they need a motor that can get 28-29 mpg hghwy. either a smaller six or big four. the 3.5 put down 265 hp they need one around 190-200hp.
  • Options
    cmarcuscmarcus Member Posts: 17
    I've seen over 30 mpg Canadian and 25.6 mpg US at a constant 62 mph over two and a half hours on a steady, gentle uphill. There was a small speed change in a lower speed zone. Reversing the trip, I saw over 36 mpg Canada. It's how you choose to drive.

In the last few days, I've seen about 25 mpg Canadian using an urban expressway and city streets...more or less slightly downhill. Reversing the trip, I saw something like 22 or 23 mpg.

What's to complain about in a large, heavy vehicle?

Cubby Marcus
  • Options
    stewpidasostewpidaso Member Posts: 45
    that's another problem being heavy doesn't help mpg. also needs to be put on a diet.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The CR-V with a 2.4L engine only gets 20/27. It's not the engine - it's the weight and boxiness.
  • Options
    edges4everedges4ever Member Posts: 1
    Cubby is right on! The mileage is decent. Being a heavier vehicle isn't all bad. Statistics seem to show that you are better off in a heavier vehicle when in a collision. I'll take safety over mileage every time. Also, the Edge stops from 60-0 mph in 123 feet!!! I'll take that too! Everyone is arguing minor details while completely forgetting about the safety of their families and friends.
  • Options
    tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    Anyone with the FWD 19 gallon tank, what's the most gallons you've ever been able to get in at fill up time?
  • Options
    car4youcar4you Member Posts: 36
    I rented a 09 Ford Edge this past week. I really wanted to love the car but I only liked it. It took me a while to adjust the steering wheel so I was comfortable. When I was comfortable the steering wheel blocked part of the speedometer. Any reason why Ford did not center the speed gauage like in most other vehicles.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Are you tall? I have the blocked out instrument panel visibility issue with a lot of different car makes. The population is getting taller, but the designers aren't paying attention.
  • Options
    peddler3peddler3 Member Posts: 10
    I'm considering buying an Edge and I was wondering if anyone knew if a road bike could be mounted in the cargo area, standing up without the front tire. I'm not a fan of putting an expensive bike on a hitch or roof. Thanks.
  • Options
    bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    WE just took delivery of a 2010 Ford Edge AWD Limited. Doe anyone know the final drive ratio for the AWD Limited with the 20 inch wheels? Different sites state ratios of 3.16 or 3.23.for FWD vs AWD. One site stated 3.16 for all models except Limited AWD with the 20 inch wheels. Confusing.
  • Options
    Why do you need to know?
  • Options
    I need to know the final drive ratio for a 2010 Ford Edge Limited AWD with the 20 inch wheels.
  • Options
    Why not know? Enquiring minds like to know the stats of a vehicle, Interesting mechanical knowledge. Ratios have a direct bearing on acceleration and fuel consumption.
  • Options
    Of course they do but unless you're planning to change it then I don't see why you'd care.

According to the 09 order guide it's 3.16 for SEL and Limited and 3.39 for Sport AWD models. I don't think it changed for 2010.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure the 3.16 was correct, but not positive. I care because I am interested in all things mechanical.
  • Options
    dre88dre88 Member Posts: 1

Speaking of the final drive ratio of any wheeled vehicle, it is easily changed by installing taller or shorter aspect ratio tires :-),,,, tires with a taller diameter will slow revs and increase MPG, while slowing acceleration available. shorter diameter tires will increase engine RPM and increase acceleration and decrease MPG. without changing the rim size, you can probably vary the MPG, and acceleration available in minor amounts. I would guess a couple of MPG(with taller tires), or maybe a few tenths quicker in the quarter mile (shorter tires), and taller tires can be used to gain ground clearance - easily an inch - with an increase of 50 on the aspect ratio. 205/ 70 - 17 to a 255/70 - 17, for instance....