Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 Astro downshifting when it shouldn't

LuvMy2005AstroLuvMy2005Astro Member Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
Hello, and thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

My Wife's 2005 Astro Van with 48 K miles on it, has recently started to downshift when it shouldn't. It mostly happens while accelerating at lower speeds....It will either shift down when it should shift up, or it will shift down during slow acceleration with no additional input from the gas pedal. It will also do this at highway speeds...shift into overdrive while cruising for no apparent reason. I'm hoping this may in fact just be an electronic issue. We have extended warranty insurance, and it may be covered, but I'm sure the deductible will be a little high. Would I just be better off having the tranny serviced and getting an estimate at a local transmission shop?

Again, thanks for any help or suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    Problem was identified as the transmission "neutralizing" (what the mechanic said)--where it shifts back and forth into neutral while under steady load.

Did a full tranny service, to see if it would help. Today while I was driving it, luckily, it stopped shifting passed 2nd gear altogether. Now it looks like I need a full transmission rebuild. Hopefully it won't be too much of a hassle to get it fixed under warranty.

I like the Astro Van, but the transmission going out after only 50K miles??? I'm starting to not like the Astro. Problem is I have another year of payments. :mad:
  • Options
    spike99spike99 Member Posts: 239
    Sorry to read that your van needs a tranny rebuild at 50K miles. If wondering, my 2001 AWD Safari needed a tranny rebuild at approx 60K miles as well. Was pulling away from a stop light (usually take off torque) and without notice, bang!!! Its 2nd and "R" gear was gone. Limped the van home and my local mechanic rebuilt its tranny for $1,100 - cash. At that time, I was still making monthly payments on my "used" van as well. If wondering, its tranny rebuild was 2 years ago. Since rebuild, my van's tranny has been `rock solid`. Shifts much better, feels much better and in the long run, is probably much better as well. Today, I'm glad my van's tranny was rebuilt. Sad that it needed it but after rebuild, my van's tranny was much, much better.

Hope this helps - some how...

• Options
    michalsafarimichalsafari Member Posts: 1
  • Options
    Update:

I had the van towed to my mechanic (GM Warranty covered the tow) to verify the problem and see if GM would let him fix it under the warranty (he is certified and in their system)....No dice. The work could only be done by GM mechanics. Van was towed to a local dealer.

Had to explain the problem again to the maintenance dept at the dealer...gee, you'd think they would test drive and figure it out....they said they would check it and get back to me. Almost a week later, I get a call from them informing me that the transmission has to be REPLACED, and they were waiting for the new transmission and it would be a few more days.

Today I get a call and am told they still don't have the tranny in, and maybe if they get it Monday, I can have the van back by Tuesday....maybe. Almost 2 weeks and I still don't have my van back...fixed. :mad:

Darn good thing we had the warranty. Now the question is whether or not we should extend the warranty for the new transmission. I'm guessing that we are getting an off the shelf transmission for the Astro, that likely has the same defects that are apparent in many other Astros. I could be wrong about that, but given the fact that it's likely that GM is deliberately putting bad transmissions in its' vehicles, I don't think so.

I want to buy American, and I still love the Astro for the things that do work. But I think this is going to have to be my last American built car. I'm not going to spend so much money with an auto maker who knowingly puts out crap, especially when my wife and kids depend on it. It's sad really.
This discussion has been closed.