Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Veracruz Tires, Wheels and Suspension

worldrevolverworldrevolver Member Posts: 19
Anyone know when Hyundai moved to Hankook tires on the Veracruz?

I picked my GLS up on the 4th of January and it was equipped with Hankook Dynapro HP's.

I see in other threads mentions of Kumho's on the GLS and Michelins on the SE and limited but no talk of the Hankook's.

So far the ride seems quite smooth on these tires. 44 max psi and I am running them at 30 psi as the dealer suggested. I might move them up to 35-36 psi just to test how the car feels at that tire pressure.

Comments

• goybargoybar Member Posts: 6
    Hi All,

Seriously considering the Veracruz.

What is the difference between these two tires in regards to noise feel etc?

Is it worth the extra $?

Thank you,

Chris
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    The wheels are not going to play a big difference as the sidewalls of the tires are still large. The difference in the GLS and SE is about $1,700 so it's more about being able to justify the options below.

- 18” 5-spoke alloy wheels
    - Power driver seat w/ power lumbar support
    - Auto dimming interior mirror with HomeLink® Universal Transceiver & digital compass
    - Auto dimming exterior mirrors
    - Leather-wrapped steering wheel & shift knob
    - Automatic headlights
    - Roof rack side rails
    - Fog lights
    - Cooled front center console storage
  • goybargoybar Member Posts: 6
    That is exactly what I'm trying to justify.

I like the roof rack and fog lights, but not sure if it is worth 1700.

Thanks
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    Personally, the autodimming mirror and autodimming side mirrors are my favorites, especially when you get the right size vehicle coming up behind you. I don't like being blinded. :P
  • ilitilit Member Posts: 71
    Also, the tires on SE and Limited Model are Michelin instead Kumo on the GLS, and gray interior which is not available on GLS.
  • ultcarultcar Member Posts: 24
    The interior color depends on what exterior color you choose. Gray interior is available on the GLS with the silver and the blue exterior colors.
  • mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    I just bought a Black Diamond GLS with grey interior. So they're out there.
  • whenindowtwhenindowt Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone else noticed an obvious rear suspension thumping? During regular driving, it's hard to notice but at work I park in a gravel lot. Even just rolling at walking speed over small potholes, the rear suspension seems to thump like the shocks have no rebound damping. I think Hyundai may issue a service bulletin on this issue. Let's wait and see.
  • 1trulove1trulove Member Posts: 29
    I have the same "thump" in an otherwise silent vehicle. Could it be the spare tire. It hanges off the rear and could be the cause. :confuse:
  • cubillascubillas Member Posts: 1
    Bought a Veracruz GLS 2008. Since day one, the TPMS (Tire Pressure) warning light (!) turns on when I drive. It will flicker, and then stay lit, turning off during the drive and then sometimes turning back on. I've brought into the dealership for service, and they couldn't detect anything wrong with the tires, and reset the TPMS module. However, the warning light (!) continues to turn on and off. Is this safe to drive?
  • jrsactownjrsactown Member Posts: 10
    My Veracruz limited AWD TPMS also comes on and off.I have checked the tire pressure and always make sure they are at 32. The dealer said they get hot and go past 3 lbs,over set pressure, the sensor will go on. It is safe to drive, it is just annoying.
  • posystmposystm Member Posts: 34
    If the dealer said the TPMS comes on when over-pressure, I think he is incorrect. My car came with 47psi, the TPM never came on. (or my TPM just dont work)

There have also been numerous reports here that many peoples cars were delivered over pressure, not once did I see anyone mention the TPM on.
  • 1trulove1trulove Member Posts: 29
    I know the owner's manual recommends 30 psi in the tires and that the maximum inflation pressure on the tires says 44 psi. Also, it is dangerous and un-economical to have under inflated tires (less than 30 psi).
    The question is... What happens between 30 psi and 44 psi? Has anyone tried running at, say, 36 psi? According to what I've read, the tires should run cooler, give better mileage, last longer, but give a slightly harsher ride and less traction. Some drivers (of other cars) say it improved road feel.
    If you try other tire pressures, please post your results here.
  • jmaulsbyjmaulsby Member Posts: 54
    My 2007 SE had the same problem; dealer replaced all four tires/wheels, reset the units; to no avail. Finally they determined that the problem was associated with a bad sensor, one of the sensors mounted up in the wheel well. Each TPM has its own sensor mounted above the wheel well somewhere. Once they replaced the sensor, no problem and that was 4 weeks ago.
  • whenindowtwhenindowt Member Posts: 15
    My tire pressure light is now showing 3 sensors. How long did the dealer make you leave the car? I'm just wondering if I could do the waiting room thingy to just have them replace the sensors and get out.
  • ajm25ajm25 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have thoughts on whether I need to get snow tires for my new Veracruz Limited? I had thought that the all seasons it is equipped with would do the job, but we do get a fair bit of snow in my region of Canada.
  • becykbecyk Member Posts: 28
    I say: GET THE TIRES!!!

It is a hefty investment...but in the long run, you'll save. First of all, when driving in winter, you'll save your All-season tires the wear & tear from spinning and all. Second, think about your insurance premium going up because of a minor fender-bender that could have been avoided if you only had invested in winter tires...and thirdly, safety to you, your family and others on the road.

I will never drive a car without winter tires again! 18" are very expensive...so was my VC.

AWD is good for "going", what's stopping you? All-season tires? Gimme a break.

Actually, its a good excuse for buying nice wheels for the VC next summer, I mounted the winter tires on the stock wheels and will buy nice summer wheels for my all-seasons. ;) :shades:
    Thanks for that, I likely will go ahead, although I suspect the summer wheels may be a hard sell with my wife.
    For the price of "winter" wheels... you might as well get nice wheels fo the summer ;)

-That's what I said :shades:
  • randypaperandypape Member Posts: 7
    hello does this stupid light ever go out once it comes on. our outside temp got down to 4 degrees and so my right rear tire showed up on the warning light. i read on here where a bunch of people had similar problems. i know my tire pressures before this cold spell were fine.i agree with others that this is definitely not a feature that's needed because of the inaccuracies. :mad: thanks Randy
    I know alot of people with the same problem with tire pressure sensors. Seems to be they are affected by temperature.

Friend of mine with a FX45 has the same issue...those things should take into consideration stuff like outside temperature and tire temperature IMO!
    Likewise I have another friend with an FX45 and she has the same issue whenever it is cold.
    So, some would say FX45 are junk.

Hell no! I think they're absolutely great cars.
  • perdido2keyperdido2key Member Posts: 28
    The tire pressure warning sensors are located inside the wheel and are attached to the tire valve.
    If you have a flat tire removed from the wheel or a new tire installed by a non Hyundai tire vendor be SURE and warn them about the sensor.
    The air powered mounting machine can ruin the sensor when the metal dismount bar sweeps around the wheel.
  • jrsactownjrsactown Member Posts: 10
    Update on my Veracruz TPMS problem. After 4 trips to the dealer, they finally fixed the on and off TPMS light. The problem was not low or high tire pressure, or the codes needing to be reset, it was the COMPUTER MODULE.
    After one week, so far no problems with TPMS light.
    My wife and I love the car, and now have 10,000 miles on it.
  • broochbrooch Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know if the TPMS needs to be reset after a tire repair? Tire shop had the proper machine to work on rim with TPMS, however after putting tire back on I still have the warning light for that particular tire still showing. Do I need to wait a bit for it to reset or is it supposed to reset right away? Your input is appreciated!
    Keep in Cruzin!!
    The reset typically occurs after 30 to 40 miles of driving.
  • hotrudderedbumhotrudderedbum Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,

My 08 VC Limited had about 1500 miles on it when purchased (manager used it to & from work). It has performed more or less flawlessly in the intervening 10 months. I have, however, noticed gradually increasing tire noise/ vibration at highway speeds. After a 700 mile road last week it was annoying enough that I took it to a good tire/ alignment shop to get the tires rebalanced.

After inspecting them, the mechanic pointed out that the inside edges of the front tires were badly cupped, which probably caused the noise & shakes. He insisted the problem wasn't balance or alignment but a problem with the front suspension and I would be well advised to take it to the dealership for a warranty repair.

I'll caveat here by saying I never rotated the tires in 13000 miles, but feel that if I had rotated them, I'd now have 4 cupped tires instead of 2.

I'm inclined to trust the mechanic's opinion because he had the opportunity to sell me $100 worth of bal. & alignment but didn't.

Before I go face the dealership I was wondering if any of you have had similar experience?

Thoughts?
  • ppborcebppborceb Member Posts: 61
    TirePressure:

I'm from the 'old school', and here is my opinion for what it's worth.
    Years ago an old mechanic where my father brought his car for maintenance, said a 'rule of thumb' is tire pressure should be double the rim size. Therefore, my Limited with 18" wheels has 36 lbs even though the door label indicates 30 lbs. I have never had any problems in 50 years of driving using Charlie's 'rule'.

SnowTires:

I lived in western MA and used to put 4 snow tires on my cars and never had a problem when I tried to stop or turn a corner. I have seen cars continue straight ahead when the driver applied the brakes and tried to take a corner. Enough said!
    I am getting a package deal of 4 STUDDED snow tires and wheels for my Limited, but I am getting size P245/65R17. Take it from an old guy who has never been stuck or out of control in the snowy Berkshires.

So, here you are with my unsolicited opinion, and yes, I know the 17" wheels are OK because the GLS has them, and the 18" wheels are just an upgrade for the SE and Limited.
  • scout171scout171 Member Posts: 1
    Be careful here. I have a 2007 Veracruz. I had a horrible problem with front end/tires.

After 12,000 miles, my tires roared so loudly that I could not hear the radio. I had Michellin check the tires and they said they had never seen tires worn this unevenly.

The tires were trashed due to the front end being so badly out of alignment the day I drove the car off the lot!

Per Wal-Mart (believe it or not) they reccomended trying to re-mount the tires on the rims in the opposite direction as a last attemp before I spend $1100.00 on new tires.

It worked like a charm. I now have 59,700 miles on the Michellin Latitudes though I will be replacing them in the next month. The roar went completely away and the tire wear issue evened out over a month. I did have to have the car aligned a the dealership though.

I am hearing from others that this Model Hyundai is difficult to keep aligned!

Good Luck
  • JustMyThoughtsJustMyThoughts Member Posts: 2
    My GLS FWD was built in April of 08 and it has the Kumho 789 Plus tires. Seem to be decent tires and so far I've had good luck in the midwest snow and ice, altough it's better on the highway than in town when it's slippery. Winter tires are certainly the way to go, but I hate to pull these already - not to mention the TPMS hastle if I change something out right now.
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    The GLS trim is equipped with either Hankook or Kumho tires. Its not uncommon for Hyundai to offer both of these Korean brands. The SE and Limited trims are only equipped with Michelins.
  • hiestandhiestand Member Posts: 10
    About the "squeak" in the rear of the vehicle. My 2008 Veracruz LTD AWD has 24,000 mi and has had the squeak since the beginning. I was told my rear tire had cupping, my service rep, said it was because I probably had driven over something like a curb. But I also hear a thumping syncopated noise from the rear tire area. Probably from the cupping defect. Last Sat. as I pulled into a parking lot off a busy street, the entire spare tire fell out of the bottom of the storage area all over the street. I looked for the "bolt" that holds it into place but it was nowhere to be found. No bolt, just a cable mechanism. Today when I took it in to be put back up into the storage area, I was told the cable holding the spare in place had frayed and broken. Anyone else lose their spare when the cable frayed & broke?
    At around 30,000 miles, my 2007 SE started making noise due to all four tires being cupped out. The Hyundai dealer has rotated them every 7,500 miles and I keep 32 to 35 psi in the tires. The dealer told me that they did not find anything wrong with the tires! Two separate tire service company reps told me that they were cupped; one man said it was alignment issue and the other man said it was weak shocks or struts or both. Since alignment is not covered by warranty, I paid $115 and the alignment was only slightly out of spec.; a few hundredths of a degree. Struts and shocks were not leaking. Michelin tires do not cup by themselves; not even the OEM tires. Tires still had 7/32" tread. Michelin offered to give me 50% off on a new set of tires for a walk out the door price of $400. I am worried that the shocks/struts will ruin this set of tires as well. IF this was a big issue, more people would be complaining and apparently they are not.
  • ls1993ls1993 Member Posts: 10
    My 08 VC Limited (3300 miles on it) vibrates when it reaches 70 Mph. It usually last for 5 to 10 seconds then the car comes back to its normal, smooth self. The annoying thing is most of the time when it accelarates to 70 Mph, the vibration returns.
    My first thought was the wheel alignment and balance, got both of them taken care of but the problem persists. Any thought??
  • laweaglelaweagle Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Veracruz. At about 22,000. miles, I started getting terrible noise vibration from the Michelin tires. I have taken it into the dealership 3 times. The second time, they said the tires had worn improperly and there was cupping on the outer edges due to bad alignment. They realigned the tires 3 months ago. Problem is still as bad if not worse. Looking at these posts, it looks like others have had the same tire problems with the Veracruz. Has anyone determined the cause and if so, is there a fix for the problem?
    Once the tires are cupped, there is little that can be done to make them ride quiet again. They will only get louder. There is a tire store in Dallas, TX that for $100 will shave off each tire until they are round again. Very few tire stores have this capability anymore.

How much was the alignment off? Did they provide you with a copy of the printout? If the struts and shocks are not leaking, I am not sure how to prove that they are weak and the cause of the tire cupping. Discount Tire will now be watching my new tires for signs of improper wear as I don't trust the Hyundai dealership to catch it in time.
  • mltgjgmltgjg Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am having the same problem with my 2008 VC. I took my vehicle to the dealer, and was informed that a alignment was necessary due to the feathering/cupping on my tires. I have 28,500 miles on my tires, and I have been consistent with maintenance on the vehicle. I have the dealer change the oil and rotate/balance the tires on a regular basis.

My wife drives the vehicle to and from work ( highway miles) , and the repair tech suggested that pot holes or bumpy roads would cause the misalignment...

Needless to say, all of this occurred prior to reading this forum. I did pay for the alignment. Now, I'm feeling a sense of being taken advantage of. Furthermore, I am concerned that this will continue to be a costly process. Especially, the wear and tear on tires and having to replace them often.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your outcome and what recourse have you considered?

Thanks
  • laweaglelaweagle Member Posts: 2
    Fortunately, at the urging of the Hyundai Service Manager, I contacted Michelin and Michelin agreed to replace the tires with a generous concession even though there were 31,000. miles on the tires. The tires would have been warranted for 65,000. miles if they had been purchased from a Michelin dealer instead of being original equipment tires. Now, I will watch the tread wear closely on the new tires and perhaps routinely get a wheel alignment check. It sounds like this Veracruz model may have difficulty in keeping the wheel alignment correct. I will update this post as the facts develop.
    Did your Hyundai dealership provide you with a copy of the wheel alignment printout so that you could look at it and ask questions? Unless the alignment numbers were several degrees off the recommend specs, that is not the problem. My alignment numbers were off the Hyundai recommended specs by a few tenths of a degree and my tires were cupped. There is still a good possibility that sets of weak struts and/or shocks were installed and they are not holding the wheels to the road firmly enough to prevent cupping. How much did Michelin agree to discount the new set of tires? They gave me 50% off of a new set; as I had 31,000 miles on my tires.
  • hoff3hoff3 Member Posts: 1
    Starting at about 9,000 miles my Veracruz starting roaring down the road. The dealer told me the tires were cupping because I did not rotate them enough, I had them rotated at 7,500 miles. I kept bringing the car in for the next 9 months for continual problems. They found a broken sway bar, then finally a bent strut. I finally had all 4 tires replaced at 24,000 miles. They still won't fix the squeaking over every little bump. How do all these things happen to a new car if there is not a serious problem with the suspension? This is the worst car I ever bought. I won't even list the rest of the problems on the interior. What makes it worse is the dealership or Hyundai will not stand behind their warranty to make things right. It is a shame because it is a pretty vehicle.
  • markottomarkotto Member Posts: 1
    Oh Man....I am having serious issues with cupping as well, I am a sales person who does heavy duty miles (about 50K per year) and I have 80K on my 2007 Vercruz now, I am on my second set of tires, I replaced the first set prematurely due to cupping. I purchased the second set and religiously every 6k I get them rotated and every 12, I get them alligned at a very reputable tire shop in Massachusetts.
    I am still getting the cupping which started to occur at round the 30,000 mile mark then has gotten progressivly worse .
    In my 20 years of being on the road and going through a Passat, Volvo850, VolvoC70, CamaryXLE, and a Altima.......I have never had the issues that I have had with the Veracruz Thanks to the warranty most of them have been taken care of 2 sets of bearings, sway bar links, viscus coupler, hub assembly.
    Now I am scheduled to go in an have the struts and shocks replaced. I really think that this vehicle sucks in regards to anything that is attached to the wheels.
    If there are any Mechanics out there that can chime in I would greatly appreciated it. There are not even any after market products to replace the faulty Hyundai products. I am returning to either a Toyota or Nissan.
    :mad:
  • mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    I just learned that my 07 VC GLS with 44k mi. needs new "rear" brakes. But only on the passenger side. It was determined that the glides on the calipers were sticking, thus causing premature wear on the pads. NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY, per Hyundai. Now, obviously, since the other three brakes are just fine, something has failed here. But the Hyundai rep said, he could understand why I'm concerned but the brakes are only covered 12 months, 12K mi. I've been reasonably happy with the vehicle so far (other than the oil leak) but this takes the cake. They talked the dealer into providing the pads for free but I said, why punish the dealer for your defect. Can this be reported to the NTSB or some such authority?
  • amilivamiliv Member Posts: 23
    Hi,

I completely blew one of the tires on my Veracruz. Ordered single replacement tire (tires were almost new, almost no wear), however when I got home I realized that they actually sold me very similar but not exactly the same tire. So I'm now with one mis-matched tire on my car.

The original tires were Michelin Latitude Tour, and the new tire that ended up on my car is Michelin Latitude Tour HP. Very similar in look (Tour has zig-zagged sipes, Tour HP has flat sipes) and a bit different load/speed rating (104T vs. 104H).

How serious is the screwup that Costco made? Should I worry about stability of the car on the road in situations such as emergency braking in severe weather?
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    My buddy who bought one of these for his wife finally gave up on it and is selling it. I told him he should file a lemon law suit, but much to my dismay, he claims he's too busy at the moment to deal with it.

The vehicle is no more than 18 months old and has been in and out of the shop at least a dozen times, sometimes for things Hyundai claims they fixes repeatedly.

By the way, a lot of electrical problems and a very bad vibration coming from the drivetrain at speeds between 30mph and 58ish mph - so much so, that his wife is scared to drive it.
  • randypaperandypape Member Posts: 7
    hello, is everyone only having the problem with the michelin tires? i have 29,000 miles on the Hankook tires, rotated them once, and have had no tire issues at all.
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    The T speed rating is good to 118 mph while H is rated to 130 mph. Is the new tire Mud & Snow? If so, you came out ahead.
  • irishcaseyirishcasey Member Posts: 36
    I'm considering a GLS with premium package which includes "upgrade" to 18" tires. My question - is there any benefit to 18" tires. Also can every model veracruz operate correctly with either tire. So if I ask the salesman to put 17" tires on instead of the 18" will everything operate correctly?

I checked Sam's club website and they have 14 different 17" tires for the veracruz versus only 5 choices for the 18" tires.

Your thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
  • mike461mike461 Member Posts: 1
    Almost the exact situation with my 2007 veracruz with 43,500 miles. The rear brake pads were worn 80%, however the front pads were almost perfect! The service rep. offered front pad replacement for $198.
    Thanks for the posting. I'm going the dealer armed with your findings. If you have any additional info. I would appreciate knowing. I'll keep you posted.
    It's the first problem with this car, which I have found heretofore trouble free.
  • dgldgl Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2010
    I have 73,000 on my Veracruz SE and started to hear the familiar grinding sound when applying the brakes. I took it to an independent shop and they informed me that both inside rear pads are down to the metal. Both rear rotors have to be replaced along with the pads. Total quote is $600.00 Funny though, I had the dealer inspect my brakes when I bought the vehicle in to have the brake light switch replaced due to a recall and they said the brakes are fine, this was about a couple of months ago. I don't think I can trust the dealer.