Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Escape 3.0 Trouble Code P0354

mtbobcatmtbobcat Member Posts: 3
edited October 2014 in Ford
I have an 05 Escape 3.0, purchased new, never had a problem, serviced regularly, 45k miles. I had purchased a Code Scout 2500 by Autoxray code reader last year for another car I had so I used it on my Escape because the engine light came on and was running poorly. It came up with a P0354 Ingition coil D primary/Secondary circuit error. After reading many of the postings on here I determined it was the front left coil pack, cyl 4. I swapped the front 3 coils several times and watched the error follow the cyl 4 coil to P0355 and P0356. I purchased a coil from NAPA and replaced it and the spark plug. It made the engine run better but the code just won't clear. I have even put one of the other good coils back in cyl 4 but makes no difference. It is now running rough, poping back through the air intake and maintains only the one same code. I unplug the wire to the coil and it makes no difference. I have even disconnected the battery and moved the new plug to a different cyl. Please, any help on this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Guess my problem description was a little long for most to read or care. I still have an ignition issue. I can pull the coil wire off of number 4 (D) and no change. Still poping out intake. Does anyone know where the
    PCM is located on the 05 Escape or what else might be upstream from the plug and coil that would have this effect?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    After reading many of the postings on here ...

You'd probably get more people to read your question if you post your question in the ongoing discussion rather than creating a parallel and duplicate topic.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    I am not a technician, but I have been in the parts dept. for a dealership for about 9-years. Since you moved the bad coil around from one cylinder to another, my thoughts are that you may have caused the ECM to be confused and may have damaged it or unprogrammed it somehow. Eletronics on vehicles can be very sensitive and can be damaged easily. I would honestly have it looked at by a Ford dealer and get the correct diagnosis rather then be messing with it and causing more damage. You may have been out about $130 for a coil pack, but now you may be in for more, like diagnosis, labor, coil pack/s and/or an ECM. Sorry bud!
  • Options
    I contacted the local Ford dealership and found the PCM is under warranty on an 05 for 80k miles so if it is bad it will be replaced. However if it is the wiring between the PCM and the coil it will require an hours worth of diagnostics to find out what and where it has gone bad. Seems there is a TSB out on this issue for the wiring on P0351-P0356 errors. I figured I still saved money with my initial diagnosis and coil replacement.....depends on what the dealership actually charges me in the end I guess.
  • Options
    vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    If the wiring between the ECM and the coil is bad as well, and they try to charge you for it, I suggest you talk to the Service Manager or even the General Manager to get replaced at no charge to you, since there is a known TSB on the ECM. Good luck!
  • Options
    mhariomhario Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Ford Escape's 4WD light flashes 10 times every 3 minutes. Anybody know whats wrong? It's got a new 4WD control module.
  • Options
    paulina1paulina1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi sir,
    Have you figure out what was the problem and what was the repair.I'm having the same problem.
    thanks
  • Options
    jason1178jason1178 Member Posts: 1
    I am having this same issue... I replaced the same coil and now have the intake popping.

2005 ford escape 3.0l

What resolved to problem?
  • Options
    hhmmhhmm Member Posts: 3
    I have an 05 Escape 3.0, purchased new, never had a problem, serviced regularly, 45k miles. The code came up with a P0354 Ingition coil D primary/Secondary circuit error. After reading many of the postings on here I determined it was the front left coil pack, cyl 4. I purchased a coil and replaced it and the spark plug. It is still now running rough, and maintains only the one same code. what is TSB mean. Please, any help on this would be appreciated.
  • Options
    davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

Did you remove the intake plenum? If you did, you should replace the plenum gaskets.
  • Options
    hhmmhhmm Member Posts: 3
    Thank for reply, no i'm not remove intake plenum yet, i check the wire from the coin at the front bank (4,5,6) to the ECM it fine.
This discussion has been closed.