Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon Denali Chrome Wheel Problems

wheels16wheels16 Member Posts: 6
edited May 2014 in GMC
chome coming off on 20" ome wheels ona 07 denali

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    When you say "coming off," do you mean flaking? Corroding? Wearing? Something else?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • wheels16wheels16 Member Posts: 6
    Small pieces to center of the wheel working out.
    That may well be a manufacturing defect. Are you seeing signs of corrosion? Different colored metal (copper) underneath?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I told the dealer 8 months ago about the pitting on wheels,was not cover because of deicing.
    You basically have three choices:

(a) do nothing and the appearance of the wheels continues to degrade

(b) try to seal the pitting with some chemical sealant to stop or slow down the pitting, or

(c) spend a LOT of money to repair the wheels. :(

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Thanks for your help,talking to gm now.
    Let us know how it turns out!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 36
    Today I noticed same issue on my 2007 Denali P41 option 20in wheels. Chrome coming off starting inside closest to the inner wheel where chrome stops. My wheels are waxed couple times a year so theres a defect.

Any news from GM?
    Gm is replacing only 1 wheel,matter of time before rest go.I hope before my warranty up,let me know. Thanks Ken
  • t8kingt8king Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 Denali XL and it has 22,000 miles, warranty for 36,000. Is it covered to have these replaced? Is this a defect? How do I get them replaced? Dealer is in another state. Please help?
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    a) it's the wheels that are chromed, not the tires ;)

2) I don't know if it is a warranty issue. They may call it normal wear and tear if, for example, it's determined to be caused by road salt damage. But I do know that you don't have to return to the dealer where it was purchased to find out. Any GMC dealer can handle a warranty claim, even in another state. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
  • 10mikeymike10mikeymike Member Posts: 8
    I had the same problem with one of the 20" chrome wheels on my 07 Denali. The chrome was flaking off on the section between the spokes. The dealer replaced it with a new wheel under warranty. They felt it was a manufacturing defect. Any GMC dealer can replace the wheel(s) under warranty. It's not necessary to return it to the selling dealer.
  • n2rnetn2rnet Member Posts: 1
    I was just notified today that GMC would not do anything to correct the peeling of the chrome. I have been discussing this with them for almost 4 months. My Denali was 1 year and 11 months since I purchased new when I noticed the problem. I took it to a GMC dealer (they forced my old dealer out) and the service manager stated that it was because of wheel cleaner that I used to clean the chrome that caused the problem. (yea, right) (I have my Denali professionally cleaned each time it needs to be cleaned.) GMC stated if I could get another GM dealer to say it was a defect, they would correct the problem. I went to Gatton Chevy dealer in Bristol, TN and the service manager agreed with me. I also took it to a metallurgist that agreed it was a defect. GMC then notified me today that a GM dealer nothing to do with a GMC dealer so my claim has been closed and they will do nothing. As I told them, I have been an exclusive GM customer my entire life but it has now changed. I advise them that I did not pay over $58,000 for an automobile to have the chrome peel in less than 2 years. They have now lost my business as well as my companies business because of this. Now that GM is a government owned company, they government has wasted little time in screwing it up too!
    William
  • fierodoughfierodough Member Posts: 8
    Seems as though the 2006 batch of chrome wheels may have been a problem with General Motors.

GM claims it's wear and tear but can't specify what could of caused the wear.

Check out my youtube video with recorded phone calls to General Motors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Ta4wiGuy8

And a GM Bulletin regarding the peeling chrome wheels issue:

#07-03-10-015: General Motors New Vehicle Wheel Warranty Coverage - (Nov 6, 2007)

Subject:General Motors New Vehicle Wheel Warranty Coverage

Models:1996-2008 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)
    2003-2008 HUMMER H2
    2006-2008 HUMMER H3
    2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2037107&from=sm#ss1-2037107

The General Motors New Vehicle Wheel Warranty

This bulletin has been issued to clarify warrantable conditions on GM OEM wheels. It is our intent that this one document will answer many of the warranty scenarios you are likely to encounter. Unlike other parts of the vehicle, wheels encounter various road hazards, corrosive substances and abuses that may present questions in both the mind of the customer and the dealer. Eligible conditions are warranted for the full term of the New Vehicle Warranty. Currently for Chevrolet (except Corvette), Pontiac and Saturn, this is 3 years / 36,000 miles (60,000 km) and for Buick, Cadillac, HUMMER and Corvette, coverage is for 4 years / 50,000 miles (80,000 km).

http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2037107&from=sm#ss2-2037107

Information Sources for Wheel Issues

The following GM Service Bulletins contain information useful to minimizing possible damage, and reducing customer concerns that may arise through incorrect servicing and improper cleaning products.
    • #00-03-10-002D - Chemical Staining, Pitting, Corrosion and/or Spotted Appearance of Chromed Aluminum Wheels
    • #04-03-10-012A - Pitting and Brake Dust on Chrome Wheels
    • #06-03-10-004 - Proper Use of OEM Service Wheel Weights, Marring and/or Damage Due to Use of Non-OEM and/or Incorrect Wheel Weight Installation
    • #06-03-10-010 - Information on Proper Wheel Changing Procedures and Cautions

http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2037107&from=sm#ss3-2037107

What is NOT Warrantable

GM provides many different styles and finishes for our passenger car and truck wheels. You will find both steel and aluminum wheels with painted, polished or chrome finishes available. While each of these types must meet GM durability standards for road impacts and finish appearance, there are conditions that are not warrantable.
    Curb Impact / Scrapes

Wheels that have been damaged through abuse are not warrantable. Finish scraping and wheel flanges that have been damaged due to curb impact are not warrantable.
    Bent Wheel Flanges / Cracked Wheels

Bent wheels and cracked wheels due to road hazards are not warrantable. In many cases bent and cracked wheels result from driving on low tire air pressure or a flat tire. Low tire pressures dramatically reduce the impact protection the wheel has and lowers the threshold where damage may occur.
    Finish Damage / Streaking / Pitting / Corrosion

There are many different types of finish damage possible, resulting from aggressive cleaning products, road chemicals, poor tire changing practices, or manufacturing processes. Some of these are warrantable while others indicate abuse. See the Finish Damage sections below, which give examples of the different types of specific finish concern issues you may encounter.

Warrantable Issues
    Any defects in the finish, balance, or structure of the wheel resulting from improper manufacture are covered under the New Vehicle Warranty for the full time and mileage limits of that warranty. Typical covered finish issues that you may encounter are:

• Flaky or pitted chrome on the visible wheel surface indicating poor adhesion of the plating.

• Polished or machined aluminum wheels that exhibit Filiform Corrosion (chalky white lines under the clear coating) This condition is warrantable, unless it is caused by incorrect wheel weight application and use.

• Wheel center caps that exhibit similar conditions to warrantable wheel concerns.

• Thin or poor paint finish quality on painted wheels. Bubbling / Flaking of the paint.

• Paint damage incurred during stick-on wheel weight changes. (See Stick-On Wheel Weight Paint Damage or Paint Flaking/Peeling Backside of Wheel)

• Flaking or peeling on backside surface of wheel indicating poor adhesion of the plating (See Stick-On Wheel Weight Paint Damage or Paint Flaking/Peeling Backside of Wheel).
  • brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 36
    Hey guys....I think perhaps you need to take a road trip up to a Canadian Dealership to get your wheels fixed.

I took my 2007 Denali into a local dealer here in Vancouver BC and the Service Manager approved all four wheels to be replaced, no questions asked.

I showed him the GM Service Bulletin on chrome wheels and he agreed.

All four were ordered and installed in a week.

I actually bought the truck in Phoenix AZ.
  • pilotjackpilotjack Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2009 Cadillac ESCALADE that showed spotting on the wheels. I took it to the Cadillac dealers here in Indianapolis and both were not interested in resolving the issue. The spotting was evident all over the wheels, and I was able to find through this forum the GM Service bulletin regarding the problem. GM put out the bulletin back in "06, and indicated that they would do a no charge one time replacement of the wheels. The cadillac dealer service manager that I showed the problem to were not interested and said that the bullten did not apply any longer. I called Cadillac customer service and man what a joke those people were! Even the supervisor I eventually worked with did nothing to help, and was more interested in working with me to establish appopriate call back times to discuss the problem, rather than actually solving it.

After two weeks of run around, I eventually ended up getting an appointment to see the zone man ( int this case a woman ) who handled the first dealership I had visited. She was kind and understanding, and within an hour of meeting her, she called me back and told me they would indeed replace all four wheels at no charge. The wheels I now have on the vehicle are all brand new, and have no problems. They are 22" wheels.

I wanted to let everyone know that you can indeed get free wheel replacements, you simply cannot take no for an answer, and you must elivate it up to the zone manager or district manager level.

Hope this helps!

PS

The source of hte damage to the wheels was most likely road chemicals-specifically and as mentioned int he service bulletin, calcium chloride....there aer pictures in the service bulletin that illustrate the problem.
This discussion has been closed.