Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Does Subaru Know That Others Don't?

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I wasn't bothered by any of them, to be honest, but I wouldn't call any of them beautiful, either. The Impreza design concept is beautiful. It makes we want one even though I'm not looking for a small sedan.

This may indeed be the first non-controversial WRX in the USA.
    Loved that concept, but it really just hinted at what the front of the Impreza would look like. The hybrid will just be an Impreza model, most likely.

I'm going to see the concept at the Philly Show!
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    When are you going to Philly? I'm thinking about such a thing.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Right now the plan is for me to meet at Bob's and then we drive up together on the 31st. I can't go on the weekend, both days we have plans already.
    Oh, you're no fun. I'd have to use a vacation day... :(
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    To see the Impreza concept, it's worth it! That's what I'm doing.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Just a rendering but I think it looks great!

link title
    The rear looks too heavy/bulky, but that's just the limits of a rendering vs. the real thing. Looks great.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Borrowing a lot from Lancer/Evo, no?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I guess so... Not that that is a bad thing. The Evo was a styling masterpiece (in concept form, the one that made the dealerships lost a bit of the aggressiveness IMO) so if Subie wants to break out of it's quirky styling and go something abit more mainstream like the EVO, I'm all for it. Again, I think it looks great, at least as a rendering ;)
    The EVO hatch concept was gorgeous, but the production model was so watered down. For me it was a huge disappointment.

Hopefully Subaru can pull it off.

We just saw the concept in person yesterday at the Philly Auto Show and it's just beautiful up close.

I think the roof line will change, to yield more rear headroom, but I could stare at it all day.
    Subaru starts strong, again

Subaru of America started the new year with a 21 percent sales gain. The Japanese manufacturer was the only brand to increase U.S. volume in each of the past three years.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110201/RETAIL01/110209974/1- 448

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

A record January, they're really on a roll.
    edited April 2011
    They show photos of the new Impreza as well.

Came out a bit more conservative than expected, tame compared to the wild concept.

Still, handsome. Reminds me of the 05-07 Legacy.
    Indeed - and looking like that era Legacy is not a bad thing. Not at all.
    No WAY the gas 2.0 Impreza makes 36 mpg, even if that is as I assume a highway rating. Maybe the DIESEL will make 36 mpg, which of course we won't get in the States because we are not deemed worthy.....

Of course, if they DO manage 36 mpg with the gas engine, that will be a 25% reduction in fuel consumption vs today's model. I would be tempted to trade for a new one..... :shades:

Well, keep in mind the Legacy 2.5i is rated at 31mpg.

The Impreza is lighter and gets a 2.0l engine, plus the FB is already 1mpg better than similar EJ engines in the Forester.

EJ to FB - plus 1mpg, gets us to 32mpg
    Impreza lighter - plus 1mpg, gets to 33
    2.0l instead of 2.5l - 34mpg
    DI (I hope!) - 36mpg
    I'm doubting that DI makes it into an $18,995 Impreza 2.0i, but I am hoping Subaru will prove me wrong.

And of course, I forgot that the 36 mpg will probably be achieved with a CVT for the transmission, which I would never even consider purchasing. So the question I would have is how many points LESS than the CVT will the 5-speed make? :-(

Will the car with the 2.0 still make it to 60 in under 10 seconds? I don't mind a slow car if it saves gas, but I don't want it to be '69-Microbus-slow. I guess we won't know many of these answers until the official debut at the NY show.

I am day-dreaming, but I'm hoping for DI and a 6 speed manual.

The STI would go wide-body and get the 320hp just launched in the UK, to distinguish from the Impreza and WRX.

More likely we'll get neither.
    They have shown a LOT of reluctance to putting the 6-speed manual in any but the turbo models. I would put stronger odds on getting the DI - the Japanese model has DI already, doesn't it? But "cost considerations" will probably keep DI out of North America, just as they do for so many other advances the rest of the world enjoys while the Americans miss out. :sick:

Next question is: once the Impreza 2.0i has a 36 mpg rating, even as most other compacts will have a 39-40 mpg rating by the end of this year, will the high gas prices be enough to keep the Impreza marginalized in terms of sales, or will this finally be the Impreza's break-out moment?

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    No current Subaru in any market has DI.

Bob
    36mpg is plenty, I don't think anyone will be turned off.

Keep in mind you get diminishing returns. 4mpg sounds like a big difference, but...

If you trade an old 10mpg Super Duty for a 14mpg new one, drive 12k miles a year, and gas costs $4, you spend $3429 instead of $4800. So you save a whopping $1371.

But go from the Impreza's 36mpg to an Elantra's 40mpg, with a highway commute, your savings would be an insignificant $133 per year.

I doubt people will pass up on AWD for $11 per month.

36mpg is plenty.

Wonder what they could do with a Forester? It would be nice to see them challenge the Equinox (even though the Chevy rarely matches that in the real world).
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    I would expect that the Subaru group has already discussed this, but the "Dog Whisperer" traded his Toyota for a new Forester this season. Every episode seems to include at least one shot of him driving it. (I'll bet he got it for free).

The episode on wolf-hybrids, currently streaming on Hulu.com, even include a nice interior shot. :)
    Heard of that show, but haven't seen it. Is it any good?
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    edited April 2011
    It's a pretty educational and entertaining... especially if you like dogs. :)
    The Dog Whisperer on Hulu.com
    Work blocks it, but I'll check it out later, thanks.
    link title

I'm actually digging the looks of the hatchback and the interiors look to be a nice improvement as well.

25/33 mpg for manual
    27/36 mpg for CVT

2911lbs! That's actually great news IMO, since the downsized engine will have less bulk to haul around.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Subaru is getting some good press about the mpg. Even dealers in Houston are excited about the shift (per a recent NYT article, they didn't much like all the ads showing Subarus climbing ski hills).

Here's the Inside Line blurb from the NY Auto Show.
    edited April 2011
    And of course the manual will still be a 5-speed, lacking the nice tall overdrive gear this thing needs to really SHINE in the fuel economy department even with the manual.... :sick:

And they even HAVE a 6-speed manual available for other Subarus....

My guess is that 6-speed was ruled out due to costs and low sales potential. Most people will opt for the CVT, which gets better gas mileage anyway.

Bob
    edited April 2011
    Most people will opt for the CVT

Yuck, I hope most people WON'T opt for the motorboat.

Have you driven a new Subaru with a CVT? It's really not bad.

Besides, most people think of a CVT as just an automatic. Also, finding a manual, non-turbo Subaru, is pretty tough these days. Finally, the Impreza Limited comes standard with the CVT.

Bob
    edited April 2011
    I have driven the Outback with the CVT, and would not consider one for purchase under any circumstances. Motorboat City if you want to keep up with traffic. But the several Nissans with CVTs that I have driven did the same thing, so it's not a criticism of Subaru alone, certainly.

Is the Impreza CVT very different from the Outback CVT?

My dealer always has non-turbo stick-shift Imprezas in stock, but perhaps he is exceptional in that regard.

So will there still be an Outback Sport? And will it still be just a two-tone-paint-and bigger-rims trim, or will it be more distinguished from the rest of the Imprezas this time around?

The Impreza's CVT is a new Gen-2 unit, smaller and lighter than the one used in the Legacy/Outback. My experience with the Outback CVTs has been more positive than yours.

Well most dealers have 1 or 2 manuals on the lot, but that limits your choices to those models. More than likely you would have to special order one to get the trim and options you want; at least that's the way it is around here. That's what AJ's (juice) brother had to do to get a manual Forester to his liking.

Bob
    edited April 2011
    He didn't quite have to special order - but he did have to wait for the following month's allocation to find a manual. They're that rare.

I just rented a CVT Lancer in Puerto Rico, and it hesitated a bit to start, then revved high to accelerate. Takes getting used to. 25 or so mpg wasn't that great either, for a FWD/compact.

I just hope Subaru tunes theirs better.

I'm fine with a 5 speed manual, in fact my Miata's 6 speed has ratios 5 and 6 so close together it may as well be a 5 speed. I often skip 5th gear.
    "Despite a boisterous U.S. sales run after the recession for Subaru of America, Inc., the company’s parent, Japan’s Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. said this week it expects a 30-percent decline in profits for its 2011 fiscal year that ended March 31. The company attributes the drop in net income to the Japan earthquake and tsunami in early March and the rising value of the yen in relation to the dollar."

Subaru Parent Projects 30 Percent Profit Decline

And it's hurting Indiana too:

"Subaru of America Inc., still struggling with shortages of vehicles built in quake-ravaged Japan, experienced a sales decline of 8.4 percent to 19,794 vehicles in June. The U.S.-built Legacy and volume-leading Outback had double-digit sales increases – 15.5 percent and 20.8 percent respectively – for their best-ever June. Sales of the Forester and Impreza, both built in Japan, were down double digits, 28.2 percent and 35.1 percent, respectively. "We still have record demand for our products in dealerships; however, we are working through a low inventory period after the March earthquake and tsunami in Japan," said Thomas J. Doll, Subaru executive vice president and chief operating officer. “Our dealers managed to be incredibly efficient with the inventory available and the situation is improving all the time."

Subaru: Inventory Struggle

(Both links from AutoObserver)
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    That is to be expected. I'm sure they will come out of it strong with the new Impreza set to show up in a few months and a new Forester on the horizon for next year.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Subaru to split WRX from rest of Impreza line, make it smaller

How short? A little bigger than a Toyota Yaris, Motor Trend reports.

:D X 1000
    Just like Nissan dropped Skyline from the GT-R....
    edited October 2011
    "Some formerly hot makes that have cooled are: Subaru of America, up 1 percent (to 195,550 sales)".

Auto Sales 2011: Everybody Gaining Except Japan (AutoObserver)
    edited October 2011
    At least they have not lost sales, like Honda and Toyota. Under the circumstances I think they did ok.
    Subaru isn't going to lose the HP race to their Toyota twin either. :-)

Subaru BRZ Getting More Power than Toyota Twin (Straightline)

BRZ - that's phone typing for Breeze?
    edited October 2011
    Production FT-86 leaked in Japanese Toyota tuner brochure. Swap logos and you have the BRZ.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=35477618&postcount=1145

Bob
    I've seen test mules before, but that's gotta take the cake! It's hilarious looking.
    Looks great, too. Dare I say it? Better than the BRZ is looking.
    I just hope that wing is optional...rest looks great.
    Yeah, that wing is a real deal breaker.