Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento Brakes

medic73medic73 Member Posts: 1
I have a Kia Sorento 2008 and in all honesty I am not too happy with the buy. I like the model but I have been having some problems lately. I have 21000 miles on the vehicle and after having the rotor resurfaced at 9000 miles by Kia (at their expense), I'm again having problems with the steering shaking when stopping. Kia states that its normal wear and that I am responsible for the servicing. Im also having issues with increased vibration from the motor, loss of power momentarily while driving on many occasions (feels as if it wants to stall), and the engine light continously turns on and off which per Kia is not a problem to worry about. I also had my shift handle replaced twice, and now it's making new strange noises when I change from park to drive. Did I mention that I've been having issues with my alignment for the last few thousand miles? I'll be going to Kia tommorrow (again) with these issues and see what comes out of it. Kia seems to want to blame it on normal wear. Any pointers?
Tagged:

Comments

• lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Have you contacted Kia Consumer Affairs about these problem? I assume you meant dealer, not Kia. Some dealers just don't know what they are doing. It is not uncommon to see many problems on new Sorento. I had so many warranty repairs on my '03 EX.
  • shawn84shawn84 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2007 Sorento. Had the rotors resurfaced at 3,000, 12,000, 20,000 and I now have 31,000 and they are going to need it again. The dealer gave me the BS that it is normal wear. I have a 2001 PT Cruiser with 105,000 and I only remember have the rotors resurfaced once in the last 50,000 miles. Their is a probelm with these vehicles that Kia will not address. I am not sure what to do. I do like the SUV but the rotor issue is annoying and expensive.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    insure the lugs on the wheels are torqued correctly....if you have alumimun wheels...over torquing can cause the same rotors to warp as well.....most places use an impact wrench and do not finish tightening with a torque wrench.....that solved my problem....125K on my 03 Sorie now
  • smalone1smalone1 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the exact same problem. It is now at the dealer for the 5th time, less than 5,000 miles ago I had to have the rotors replaced, at my expense. The SUV only has 32,000 miles on it. After the SUV hit 12,000 miles the dealer would not cover the rotors any longer, so I have paid 3 times to have them fixed/replaced.

How did you make out with the dearler this time?
  • 1timekiaowner1timekiaowner Member Posts: 1
    Was looking for a Borrego forum, but this is close enough. It seems there are many Kia owners with this rotor issue, resurfacing, and then needing it again in a few thousand miles. It is not normal wear and tear, they need to stand behind their so called best warranty in the business. This is the 1st non american made car we have purchased and will probably be the last! Resurfacing too many times is unsafe.
    insure your lug nuts are hand torqued and not fully tighten with an impact wrench....that solved my warped rotor problem on my 03 sorie and 04 chevy malibu maxx.....
    I have a 2007 Sorento and love the it, EXCEPT FOR THE FRONT ROTORS. With 40,000 miles I have had three new sets of rotors installed and each have been resurfaced at least once. About every 7,000 miles they warp and require repair. Went thru the usual motions...arguing with the dealer, KIA Customer Service(?), etc. They blame my driving habits. My last car, a PT Cruiser, had 120,000 miles on it and I had the rotors replaced once. SOLUTION: Purchase after-market slotted rotors from one of the many auto wholesalers on the internet. I paid $120.00 for a new pair of front rotors and had my local auto repair place install them. Heat causes warping, and the slotted rotors disperse the heat better then stock rotors, so far they have been fine.
    I did not go back to the dealer, however I think I solved the rotor problem. I bought slotted rotors NOT made by Kia (they do not heat up like the stock parts) and had them installed. So far so good. If the dealer ever tells you the rotors need replacement, DO NOT let them use Kia parts. I got them from Auto Parts Warehouse on the net. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Kia/Sorento/Centric/Brake_Disc/2007/LX/6_C- yl_3-dot-8L/CE120-dot-50019.html?loc=Front&tlc=Brakes%2C+Suspension+%26+Steering-
  • redjr16redjr16 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2008 Sore with only 7500 miles on it and the steering shaking and vibration during braking is intolerable. I figured it's warping, but at 7500 miles! I know I brake hard and mostly city driving, but com'on. I'm going to buy a pair of after market right away and have my local mechanic install them. I love the car, but this is poor quality parts IMHO.

Thanks for the link...
    Has anyone tried these on their 08 Sorento?

http://www.topbrakes.com/carSeriesDetails.php?car_id=13183&series=Royalty%20Roto- rs%20Cross%20Drilled%20and%20Slotted%20Rotors%20(Pair)&source=ggle_shopping_id_RR50019SD-R_13183F

I don't know if these are over priced or not, but I would rather drive hard and have smooth braking so I'm willing to pay a little more. I know there are other, less expensive rotors available on the net. Do these seem like good rotors for the Sore? I do not want to put Kia Authorized branded parts rotors back on.
  • shep14shep14 Member Posts: 1
    Just got back from the Kia dealership, and $158.00 poorer had the rotors on my 2007 Sorento turned, wouldn't be so bad but I just paid over $500. last winter to replace the rotors because they were rusted out(whatever that means). The vehicle started vibrating (and not in a good way) whenever i applied the brakes, this has also happened before. I only have 59000 miles on this vehicle. Is it me or should this vehicle have a little better performance?
    rotors shouldnt rust out....unless they were out of spec for thickness....but have never heard of a replacement due to rust...on my 03 Sorie..I immediately went to aftermarket rotors, and didnt use Kia OEM....havent had a problem since with needing them to be turned...have close to 154k miles on it now....and it has had two brake pad replacements and one set of rotors so far.....

the vibrations indicated in most cases the rotors need to be professionally turned to smooth them out.....
  • lo5691lo5691 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    I bought my 2012 Sorento in November and about 2 weeks later started noticing a grinding noise during medium braking. I took the car in and they resurfaced the brakes...two weeks later the same problem reoccured. This time I was told that the brakes are functioning properly and that it is simple a characteristic of the car. Obviously, that answer was working for me. I filed a complaint with corporate and spoke to the District Service Manager. I received a call today stating that they have agreed to replace the roters and pads. Hopefully, that fixes it. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this annoying issue. I love my Sorento btw and love Miller Kia where I bought it in Waco, TX.
  • hromerohromero Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2012 Kia Sorento in April 2011, and after 10,000 I also started to notice the grinding noise during medium braking, (pulling into a parking space ect.) I complained and dealer tech. stated he didn't notice any noise. I took it home and sure enough did it again. I called back to take it in on Jan 11, 2012. I will post what they tell me...The noise sounds as if the pads have worn out or calipers are sticking. Cleveland Ohio..
  • hromerohromero Member Posts: 2
    So I went to dealership on 01/11/2012 and had service manager drive my sorento, he felt and heard the brakes grinding but never came over to talk with me. he told the service desk person to tell me the problem is known to kia corp and they are working on a solution to the problem. As far as safety concerns the vehicle is safe to drive and I will be notified when they have a fix. I complained to Kia consumer and they have not called back as of yet. So I am driving a vehicle with less of a secured feeling I had prior to this ordeal..Service desk person appologised for the inconvenience..and stated Kia Corp is receiving numerous complaints concerning this problem. I should have just rebuilt my ford truck...
  • lo5691lo5691 Member Posts: 2
    hromero,

After I filed a complaint with Kia corp, the service and parts manager at the dealership also spoke with the district s&p manager. After about 2 weeks, I was called by the dealership and was told that I had been approved to receive a complete, brand new set of NAPA brake pads and rotters. I took my vehicle in a week later, the pads and rotters were replaced and I haven't had another problem so far. It has been 2 weeks and I am happy. I must say that I am very pleased with the way my dealership handled this issue and am very pleased with Kia customer service. Keep calling everyone...I think the squeaky wheel (or loud brakes, in this case) gets the attention. Good luck!
    I have a 2007 Sorento. After 5,000 miles I had the same issue. Even after multiple complaints to the dealer and Kia Corp they would not cover the rotors, which warp after 4,000+ miles. Had them replaced three times in two years. Finally went with non-Kia brand rotors and they have been fine for over a 2 years now.
  • criticuscriticus Member Posts: 3
    My 2011 Sorento also had a scratching noise when braking. Today, with only 32,000 km on the clock, it went in for a service which revealed badly scored rotors and seized brake shoes on both rear brakes. The serviceman's explanation: Sand and salt thrown up during highway driving. Both rotors required machining and new shoes and pads fitted. The total brake service with parts, labour and tax came to $437.86. I have never had anything like this happen before on a variety of other makes. Surely this is a safety issue and no fault of the driver. In any case, shouldn't it be covered by warranty?
  • roberinazroberinaz Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 2012 Kia Sorento with grinding front brake noise when stopping at slow speeds. So far the dealership has, chamfered the original pads, then changed out the front pads twice, turned the rotors once, replaced the rotors once, turned my complaint over to Kia Corp. with an answer of." Its normal, all new Kia's do that." I have test driven several 2012 & 2013 from the lot & yes, there is "some" grinding noise, which in my opinion is NOT acceptable, nor "normal" & not at the level of mine. I am going to install a set of after market pads & if that does not work then I am going to go back to a Highlander & be done with Kia & it's "noise is normal" BS.
  • clm06clm06 Member Posts: 1
    I also am having problems with my 2013 Kia Sorento rotors. I went on vacation for 10 days and left the vehicle parked in my attached garage. Nice dry conditions in my garage. When I came home and backed out my KIA there was a loud crunching, grinding noise in the brakes. Drove it for a couple days and it didn't go away. There was a pulsating vibration in the brakes/rotors and you could feel it in the car and the brake pedal. Took to my local Kia dealership. After inspecting it, they said I had rust on my rotors because I let the car sit for 10 days and I could get the rotors resurfaced for $428 or keep driving it and see if it wears off. Mind you my car only has 5,000 miles on it. He said it does not fall under warranty. Cars are made to be driven and I need to drive it every 24-48 hours or rust could build up on it. Oh, really, I've never heard such a crock!! I asked him if every time I go away for a few days, do I need to hire someone to drive my car for me so it doesn't rust!! I've never had a car that did this. I have contacted the Kia Customer Service and they said the same thing, no warranty coverage. I want my rotors replaced, and they said it was caused by 'an act of God', and that isn't covered by warranty. Another crock!! Never heard of such nonsense. I have asked them to escalate my case to higher management, so we will see what happens. Probably nothing! I told them it sends like a case of poor quality steel used in their rotors! The service manager at the dealership said they see a lot of this and Kia won't stand behind it. So I have tried to keep driving it for about a month now and it's getting worse. Probably the rotors are really warped now! Thinking of putting after market rotors on it now.

I loved my new Kia before this happened. Would love to go back to Toyota RAV, I've had 2 of them and no problems at all. Should never have switched to Kia!!
    edited July 2013
    I would have thought KIA would have fixed their brake issues on the Sorento by now. Remind me not to buy a new one! :) If it's just rust, it will wear off the next time you drive it. That shouldn't ever be a big problem. It will squeal a little for about the first 2 miles and be gone. I have a 2008 Sorento, and I had the problem of warped rotors after just a few thousand miles. Not good, or right.

I finally put a pair of slotted or dimpled after-market rotors on and haven't had any problem since. They've been on for about the last 10k miles and it brakes as smooth as can be. My mechanic says they show no sign of wear - the pads are good and the rotors look like new. So I'm happy.

Rick
  • hguthriehguthrie Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2012 Sorento. Absolutely LOVE IT.........Got it used 34,000 miles, a company vehicle that was traded in on an upgrade. I am also experiencing the grinding noise when I brake at lower speeds, but that is not what is bothering me. I have a 20 minute drive to work through town, so I do a lot of braking and going. By the time I get to work there is a clicking noise. If I continue to drive it the noise gets worse and louder and more frequent. The dealership told me it was the rotors. It's already been in once for the problem, they turned the rotors, new brake pads, and put brake quiet on it. A week later it started again. They now have it again and the service manager told me that it was the rotors again. That the noise is caused from them getting hot, and I must be driving pretty aggresively for them to do it. I do not drive aggressively. I am a female with 2 children that knows you have to be easy on the brakes for them to last longer. I am a very careful driver and probably start slowing down WAY before what is really necessary. It doesn't do it when I first start out, but after stopping and going as you would through in town traffic, it starts and gradually gets worse.
    Has anyone else noticed the noise after continuous braking? Does anyone know what it could possibly be? I've noticed a lot of posts about the grinding, but its the clicking that really worries me.
    hguthrie,

Buy yourself a pair of 'dimpled and slotted' brake rotors for your Sorento and you'll never look back. You can get them on the web at Brake Performance. I've had a pair on my 2008 for going on 2.5 years now and I haven't even had to replace the pads yet. Braking is smooth, silent and without shudder. You should never have another problem with them. They are guaranteed for life.
    Forget what the dealer says. The stock brakes are simply under-designed for that car, and it sounds like Kia has not solved the 'real' problem yet. In over 4+ years. Shame on them.
    Redjr16,

Thank you for the advice! Right now the dealer has it, like I said, but I did just find out that they are replacing all the brakes for free, which they should being as I haven't even made a payment on it yet! I will check out the website you recommend and discuss the options with my husband if this doesn't fix the problem. I have driven many cars and never once had I ever heard of rotors clicking when hot!
    Thank you much for the help and I'll let everyone onow once I get it back!
    The real issue is with the rotors. They warp way to quickly - implying they are under engineered and designed for that car. When the new ones wear out, or start to pulse and grind, you'll know what web site to visit. :cry: BTW, the dimpled and slotted pro rotors are only $200 for the pair and come with pads and should last you a long, long time, especially the way you drive - as you described. Good luck. Rick
    My 2007 Sorento was the best SUV I ever owned. Once I purchased the slotted rotors (after multiple rotor resurfaces or replacements) never had an issue again. I do not know why KIA refuses to address this issue.
    I have a 2008 that only has 34k miles on it! Mainly, because I used to travel (fly) a lot and it sat with little use for ~ 2 yrs. But once I started driving it again, the brakes started giving me problems. I haven't had any problems either since I had the slotted rotors installed - and I'm a very assertive driver. I love the car, although the gas mileage is atrocious and the engine sounds like a toy until it warms up. :) While the ride can be a little rough I've gotten use to it. Now my son is eyeing it for when he gets his license in a year. He like the aftermarket stereo I installed a couple of years with all the bells and whistles. :)
    Well, I've had it back for a couple weeks. At first everything was going great! But about a week ago I noticed the same clicking noise as I was turning and braking at the same time, and continues if I continue to go in a circle. Now that is the only time it does it. UGH!!!! Something like that, could it still be the brakes and rotors? Getting severly pissed!!!!! :mad:
  • aaldrichaaldrich Member Posts: 1
    I had that happen last year for my 2008 kia sorento, clicking chain like noise when turning to one side. They couldnt figure out what was wrong until a couple months goes by and the wheel almost fell off when i was driving. Turns out the hub needed replacing. :(
  • djm29djm29 Member Posts: 1
    My sorento has 1900 miles on it. The brake pedal started going to the floor. I had to pump the brakes to get it to stop. I took it to the dealership Monday. They thought it was air in the lines, after sitting there for 3 hrs while they bled the brakes they came to the conclusion that it wad the master Cylinder. Its now Friday and they still have my car. I am very very disappointed !!!
  • rrsorentorrsorento Member Posts: 1
    I've had this problem too. A clicking sound that seemed to get louder over time. I found the clicking coming from under the gear shifter. It's actually a switch or solenoid that's used when you hit the brakes. Mine was replaced under warranty once already but it still seems to be getting louder again.....
    Thanks for the option, but it's not the solenoid. I wish the fix were that easy. The Kia mechanics can't even figure it out. KIA corporate has no clue. They won't work on it anymore because they can't figure it out. BUT, my warranty is still good and "rest assured, the vehicle is still safe". But we don't know whats wrong with it. So, how can they tell me my vehicle is safe? 2 days away from trading it back. The dealership said they would buy it back from me. Which they should, it's been in 12 times for the same reason........
  • kamloops2kamloops2 Member Posts: 1
    I have over 80,000 km's 50,000 miles on my 2012 Sorrento, I tow a 3500 lb trailer, and have only replaced my back pads. I live on a mountain, which means a lot of down hill driving until I go on the freeway. I came on this forum to look at what the alternatives were for OEM Kia pads. To all those people who said they were going back to a Rav 4 - you can't fix stupid- my Kia is by far better than any Toyota Rav 4, I have owned or Nissan, or Honda , had them all..back to the brake pads... what have you used that is better than Kia OEM