Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Difference in USA vs Japanese made Toyotas?

lhylhy Member Posts: 48
edited July 2014 in Toyota
Is there a significant difference in quality between a Toyota that was assembled in Japan vs one that is assembled in the USA?

I am in the market for a used Toyota and am choosing between two Corollas--a 1994 model made in Japan and the other a 1996 made in the USA.

Should this be a factor in my decision in which one to choose?

Comments

• Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Don't worry about where they were assembled. I have had Corollas assembled in Japan, Canada, and USA, and there is no real difference, in my experience/opinion. I have had a RAV 4 assembled in Japan that had several squeaks and rattles that had to be fixed under warranty. This Japan assembled was the most problems I ever had, although it was just a few squeaks and rattles - nothing else ever wrong, just like the rest of my Toyotas.
  • Options
    bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    Most likely it shouldn't make a difference...I'd still perfer a Japanese assembled over a USA it I had the choice. When I purchased my 09 Corolla in Santa Cruz, CA I assumed my Corolla was US assembled and to my surprise, it was assembled in Japan. I would have purchase it regardless of where is was assembled though.
  • Options
    yipman_styleyipman_style Member Posts: 10
    I read many replies (from other makes too) that there is no difference between U.S. made cars vs Japan. If the recalls only affect U.S. made cars, and not Japan made cars, this would lead us to believe that the parts come from different supplier. Therefore "different."

In the market for a 10 model very soon.
This discussion has been closed.