Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

What used diesel truck to buy

dmiletichdmiletich Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Ford
I have never owned a diesel truck but want to buy a used 3/4 ton pickup. I will be using it for general use and about 20% of the time tow a trailer and tractor that weighs a total of about 11,000 pounds. I was favoring a Ford diesel but it seems as if the 7.3 and 6.0 engines have had a lot of problems. I am looking for something from 2002-2006. I am not opposed to GMC/Chevrolet, and now after reading about all the Ford problems, I am probably leaning toward GMC. MPG is also important and would like to know which is better
on fuel. Looking to buy right away so any information would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    scooter802scooter802 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys- new to this forum so have mercy. I have been looking at purchasing a used diesel for awhile now. Need some advice. Mostly I need it for towing my box trailer with tools, and my flatbed with my tractor (Kubota 32 hp). I don't need to drive it daily to the jobsite, have a small little corolla (38mpg!!!) for that. I just need it to be strong, RELIABLE, and diesel. Alot of guys I know have many good things to say about Dodges (recent ones). GM scares me with the way they are headed, and I don't know much about Fords. Thanks!
  • Options
    jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    Ford's 7.3 diesel has been a great truck. I have a 2000 7.3 truck I've used to pull a 5th wheel all over the country and have had zero problems. I understand the 6.0 have not faired ot well.
  • Options
    richardsmokerrichardsmoker Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I would like to ask for your opinion: I'm insterested in buying a used timber truck, manufactured in 2001. The guy wants to sell it for $ 30.744 Do you think it's a fair price? Any experiences with used Scanias? Are they reliable? That's the ad anyway, if you would like to take a closer look: used timber trucks
This discussion has been closed.