Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

treehugger81treehugger81 Member Posts: 2
Hi we have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt. The engine is a 2.2 according to oil change records (hubby is gone and I know nothing about cars). It has around 56,000 miles on it. All of a sudden several things have went wrong with it. I don't know if they are all related or not since I know nothing about cars, but since they started happening around the same time I assumed they were. To start with we started losing coolant. My hubby keeps filling it up. There is no coolant in the oil and none visible on the ground. Then it started running really rough when starting up. The sound it is making sort of reminds me of when we had to change the oxygen sensors in our old van. Then just the other day we started hearing a noise under the passenger side. It sounds like water sloshing around in a tank whenever he has accelerated and then suddenly stops. The check engine light came on around the beginning of all this and whenever we had the mechanic hook it up it said it was a knock sensor. He changed that and a week later it still hasn't done any good. Our check engine light is no longer on, but it still sounds rough, is losing coolant, and the sloshing water sound is still there. If anyone could give me some helpful advice or suggestions it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    You can probably get your trouble codes back by losing the gas cap. Then have it scanned at Autozone or someother place who will do it for free.
  • Options
    treehugger81treehugger81 Member Posts: 2
    Okay let me get this straight......take the gas cap off and the codes will come back?!?! Never heard of that, but nice to know! Thanks!
  • Options
    poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    By loosening the cap the computer will detect a lose of pressure in the fuel system thus giving a warning light. Dont take the cap off just loosen it. It usually will trigger a warning/code which could give other codes that available for reading.
  • Options
    frankrizzo965frankrizzo965 Member Posts: 1
    Tree Hugger...I also have an 06 Cobalt, and the EXACT same thing is happening...what did you find out? if you could let me know that would be AMAZING.
  • Options
    angelica1987angelica1987 Member Posts: 2
    Along with everyone elses issues, my Cobalt just this week stopped making any sort of noises. It no longer beeps for low fuel, or if your not wearing a seat belt. Even when you turn on the blinker it does not make ANY noises. I checked all of the fuses. I have no idea what is going on with it. The blinkers lights still work, just no sounds.
    Has anyone else had this problem?

PS. I have also had my Control Arms replaced twice, and have had the problem with the car stalling at red lights. I have had the fuel tank, and multiple sensors replaced. The outside temperature gage always gets stuck, and it will say 85 when it is 30 outside. I now have 60,000 miles on the car, and it drives like crap.
    I can not wait to get a new car!
  • Options
    plutapluta Member Posts: 1
    I have this problem with my 08 Cobalt with about 40,000 mi. The noises for blinkers, etc. are off and on but lately have been off more often than not. The turn signal lever will also not always pop back and automatically turn off the turn signal, even on sharp turns. This is an annoying combination since I have to be very careful or I will be driving down the road with my turn signal left on and look like an idiot. Also haven't been able to find any solutions for it.
  • Options
    sensoriasensoria Member Posts: 3
    I have a Cobalt 2006bought it from the dealer with 33.00 miles. so far so good...until now. It has 68.000miles, so my warranty expired. It's been leaking oil for a while, so i took it to the dealer service, and seems THE SILICONE ON THE LOWER ENGINE PAN CASE IS WORN OUT. They're asking me for $1.500 to seal it back, and I'm still trying to figure out HOW COME THIS HAPPENED??? Why do I have to pay for some manufacturing mistake if the guy supposed to seal the oil pan didn't do his job right??? I don't think I'm responsible for this, I am trying to find people with this same problem...It seems it's only my car arrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Help please :(
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    My advice is to take it to a reputable local mechanic. Ask friends, coworkers, church people for someone they trust.

I suspect you'll find it's much cheaper to have it cleaned and resealed with a seal or with silicone.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    ! ! ! ! !
  • Options
    Yea, a mechanic asked for $400 to do it. But I still wonder WHY do I have to pay for something wrong that came up in the car? this is not about warranty. I'd like to know if anyone's had the same problem...
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    >WHY do I have to pay for something wrong that came up in the car?

I'm not sure what you're asking then. It's a car. Things sometimes go wrong on cars that are minor. Sometimes things go wrong that are major. You get them fixed and go on with your life.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
  • Options
    mamaleemamalee Member Posts: 1
    It lost its "click" about a year ago. I put up with it, and when I took it to the dealer today for the power steering recall, I asked about the click. The service mgr. said it never did click, which I do not believe. How can I find out for sure?
  • Options
    angelica1987angelica1987 Member Posts: 2