Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape driver side lean

jeffp_032056jeffp_032056 Member Posts: 7
edited July 2014 in Ford
I've got a 2008 Escape, V6 3L, 2wd. It's got 1/2" lean towards the drivers side of the vehicle which is noticeable both front and rear. Tire pressure is fine. Dealer swaped from side to side both the front and rear springs with no change in the lean. Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause and solution? It would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Are you sure someone didn't hide contraband in the doors? Seriously this is a strange situation.
  • jeffp_032056jeffp_032056 Member Posts: 7
    Yes, and my dealer is just about out of ideas. The strange thing is, he's got another one on the lot which has the same type of lean to it.
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    WOW thats strange the only thing that comes to mind (since you already swapped springs) is having 1. a damaged strut/shock 2. a damaged suspension control arm/bushings or 3. a damaged suspension cross-member.
    Yeah, except for the fact that he's got another one with the same type of lean. I've talked to him about getting a Ford rep down to look at it so I guess that if nothing is found I'll have to pursue that. Of course I'm one of those guys that seeing something like this just bugs the hell out of me.
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    So the dealer has another one with the lean.....

But, perhaps your Escape and the one that is in their lot came off the same shipment and same carrier truck.

Could both vehicles have sustained the same damage due to transport???

They do harness vehicles very tight and with chains, if the guy driving the truck with the shipment of vehicles did not harness the vehicles properly from the correct areas, the damage may have been sustained then.

Just a thought!
    Problem fixed. Got a Ford engineer involved and found out the following:

All Escapes could have this problem. Somewhere along the assembly line they are supposed to be checked and if the problem is found they are supposed to be corrected but a lot of them are getting through for whatever reason.

The reason there is no TSB's on this is that not enough people have complained about the problem.

The fix is to insert shims in the rear between the sub-frame and the suspension. This is what Ford does to fix the problem on the assembly line.
    Update... Problem not fixed.

After working with my dealer on this problem I've found the following:

1) In my case it's not possible to shim the body both front and rear enough to solve the problem. For example, if you try placing enough shims to solve the lean on top of the front strut you'll run out of threads on the strut bolts.

2) In the rear you've basically got to double the shims for the amount of lean. For example, if you've got a 1/2" lean you've got to place 1" of shims between the rear sub-frame and body.

3) I've found that my '08 Escape is not a rare occurence of this problem. I've gone to 2 dealers and found that the first dealer had six '09 Escape's on his lot. I got out my tape measure and found that every one of them had the lean, from 1/4" to 3/4". I went to the second dealer which had three '09 Escapes, got out the tape and all of them had the lean also. I also called my son who lives in NY and had him measure his '09. He's got a lean.

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?????? From what I've found I can only assume Ford is sending the Escape from the factory with this "defect".
  • randomdecoyrandomdecoy Member Posts: 1
    Jeff,
    I own two Escape's; 2009 Limited 4x4 and 2010 XLT FWD hear in St Louis MO USA. Both have this exact condition. The 2009 is about 3/4" lower at the rear above the wheel on driver side, while the 2010 is about 1/2" lower at the same location. Tires are inflated same, no detectable damage found so far to either Escape.

Took 2009 to dealer, somehow their ruler reads 5/16" difference between left to right in the rear...which they say that Ford states is within mfg specs.

My ruler still reads around 3/4" difference on the 2009.
    Yes, hard to believe there's an allowance for acceptable body lean. I've seen so many with this lean that I can't understand how they are being shipped out this way and that Ford is ignoring the problem. I saw one not too long ago on a dealers lot that had to have a lean of at least 1 1/2 inch.

I've not been able to get this problem fixed/solved so the best of luck to you on it.
  • pdmclaypdmclay Member Posts: 4
    If you are on a country road, does it sit level? A slight lean to the left eliminates a constant need to to steer to the left, combating the angle of drainage for roads, thus saving your tires and your power steering.
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    LMAO!

No excuse for a poorly manufactured vehicle. No car should have a lean on purpose!
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    No road car is designed to lean one way or the other. Should be level. If it leans something is wrong.
  • komondor4komondor4 Member Posts: 4
    Funny I noticed mine was looking a little low on the left but did not think much of it!
    Will now need to measure in the garage and see how low it is!
This discussion has been closed.