Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

AC blower not working

terryblack64terryblack64 Member Posts: 3
I have a 1994 Pontiac Bonnaville the AC blower stopped working. I can feel cool air coming from vents, but the blower fan will not operate.

Comments

• terryblack64terryblack64 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1994 Pontiac Bonnaville the AC blower stopped working. I can feel cool air coming from the vents, but the blower fan will not operate.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Does this have the automatic AC control with a digital temperature readout?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• terryblack64terryblack64 Member Posts: 3
    No, it does not have automatic ac control with digital temperature readout
    You need to check the motor with a direct wire from the battery with a fuse in it and ground the motor wire to see if the motor works with battery power.

If I recall, the resistor pack gives the lower speeds and HIGH speed is a relay that connects directly to the battery power in the relay center. So if the resistor pack burned out you lose 1,2, or 3 speeds and the HIGH still works. Or if the relay or fuse burns out on the HIGH speed the others still work.

So carefully remove the power connectors and check the motor. The relay center can be raised by removing two screws holding it and then it has some slack and can be raised a little to give work room.

If you replace the fan motor, be careful with the plastic around the housing; it's been hot a lot of years with motor heat and becomes brittle.

• littlerexlittlerex Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Bonneville, the ac is cold, has auto ditgatal control. The blower works sometime, then will stop and not work other times.
    You can test your blower motor by disconnecting the leads and using straight battery power (with a 20 amp fuse) and ground to see if the motor works right. If not replace it.

If the motor is okay it is probably your blower motor control module that's in the blower housing where the blower leads go. It's under the relay panel. The relay panel has two bolts and can be pushed up some to get room to take out the blower control module. It works like the resistors in old style systems; it sticks into the air stream for cooling.

• michigalmichigal Member Posts: 11
    My '07 Acadia blower for the front ac stopped working. The aux (rear) blower worked fine, so I knew it wasn't the ac (thank goodness!) Thinking it was a bad motor, we found out where it was located (under the front dash/glove compartment) - we pulled down the cover, and easily got to the blower, pulled it out and put some wd40 on it - surprise! it started working! back in it went, and all was well. .
  • texasmoontexasmoon Member Posts: 3
    2008 GMC Acadia front blower went out. Rear ok, compressor ok. Just like you, took out the blower motor and it was tight, tight, tight. A little WD-40 and it was good as new. Blower motor is under glove compartment - black panel with large bump in middle. Two pins hold in place - pull pins out with pliers to unlock and remove. Blower motor is black cylinder where the bump was. Grab it and twist to unlock and remove (no screws) - a lot like an old headlight bulb. Once you have the blower assembly removed, there are two torx screws that hold plastic cover in place. Some lube at the bottom and under fan should loosen it up. Looks like it's getting water/condensation and rusting a bit. Hope it lasts a little while before locking up again!
  • smalldarlsmalldarl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Bonneville. For a short time, the fan "growled" when on, and as of yesterday, completely stopped. Is the fan motor shot and if so, where is it in the vehicle to replace?
    It's above the passenger's left toes. You can see a round plastic housing on the bottom of the HVAC box. To replace take off the hush panel of plastic with a few screws under the dash. The fan is held in by 3 large screws on my 2003. Yours may be a different format because earlier ones had a second part like an adapter. Check on rockauto.com for your year.

The carpet may be in the way of removing the fan, so pull it down away from the firewall and your should be able to wiggle the motor and squirrel cage out.

There may or may not be a rubber tube that runs from the HVAC back to the motor portion to cool the motor. Motor may be a little heavy to hold and lift while getting the 3 screws started--I used junk between the floor and the motor under the blower to help hold it up in place.