Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Laser Cruise Control & LIDAR

brensommerbrensommer Member Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Toyota
Hey there!

I need help! I was recently pulled over for speeding in Fort Worth, Tx. I was in a 60 mph zone and had my laser cruise set on 67. (99% of the time I set it for 5mph over, but I had not adjusted it yet and it was set at 7mph over.)

The problem is that I was pulled over and told I was going 74mph and issued a ticket. He said he clocked me using the LIDAR. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was NOT going 14mph over the speed limit. I haven't had a speeding ticket in over 12 years for good reason.

My question is this: Is it possible that the LIDAR that the policeman was using actually hit my laser shooting out from my van rather than actually hitting my van? Is it possible for my laser to interfere with his laser and cause an incorrect reading?

I've already decided to go to court, if for no other reason than to stand up and say I was not going 14 over the limit. My 9 year-old daughter was in the van with me and I feel it would be a good lesson for her to see her mom stand up for herself. I may still have to pay for the ticket, but I at least want the judge to hear me say I'm not guilty.

Does anyone have any information that may be able to help me?

I just want to say once again, if I was going 14mph over the speed limit, I would admit it. I use my cruise everywhere, everyday to keep me from speeding. My concern is that if there was some kind of interference, it could happen to me - or someone else - again.

BTW, I have a 2008 Toyota Sienna Limited 2WD.

I would appreciate any help!

Comments

• ploobersploobers Member Posts: 6
    I'm starting a 20,000 mile road trip in my 2006 Sienna, but I have an issue with my cruise control. After an accident, it gives me an E3 error anytime that I try to activate the cruise control. Reading here and on other websites, it seems like that is telling me that the laser adjustment system needs to be replaced / recalibrated. I don't have $2000 to spend on that.

The thing is that I've lived my whole life without having a computer automatically slow down my car, and I can live without it now. Is there a way to unhook or deactivate the "smart" laser system and just have my cruise control function in "dumb" mode where it just maintains a speed?

If not, what is the best route to get an aftermarket cruise control installed? I called a lot of local repair shops and they all told me to go talk to the dealer.
  • g3guyg3guy Member Posts: 31
    The thing has to be on a fuse somewhere. Get the dealer or someone from a good auto parts store to look at your owner's manual to find it and pull it, then see what you have lost. If you're lucky, you'll only lose the laser; if not there may be some other things that are also deactivated, but you can decide if you can live without them. Good luck....
  • hause7hause7 Member Posts: 153
    We had an 04 Sienna with the laser cruise and if I remember correctly if you pull the stalk towards you for a few seconds(it says mode on the stalk) it alternate between normal and laser cruise. You can use either one, you don't have to use laser cruise.
    @g3guy - I found a schematic online of the electronics. Would you know which fuse I should pull, or which other features might be deactivated?
    http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images//09- 00c152/80/19/7c/5f//large/0900c15280197c5f.gif
    @hause7 - I tried that and it doesn't seem to work. Maybe I wasn't holding it long enough, so I'll try again.
    Nope. I tried holding it down for up to 10 seconds and it didn't make any difference.
    I finally figured it out. When I go to turn on the cruise control while I'm driving, it tries to communicate with the laser and throws the whole cruise control into lockdown. If I turn it on while I'm stopped, or even while I'm going really slowly, and then change it to normal mode like has been suggested, I can use it just fine. It's not a perfect solution, but not a bad one. It just means that half the time when I get on the freeway, I have to pull over and stop so that I can activate the cruise control before starting again.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I doubt it, because the cops aim at a specific surface, often the license plate.

There can be some variance, and 7mph is not a big difference. I'm sure the judge will believe you.

Having said that, it may only reduce your fine slightly. You'd still be guilty of speeding, and still get points.

To be honest, you may be better off going to court and pleading guilty with explanation (then tell him your speed). In most cases if you don't have any points on your license, the judge will toss it out and make you pay only court costs, or at least cut the fine in half (which is the best-case scenario if you say you were doing 7 over).

Go to court, for sure, but see how lenient the judge is on other speeders, and follow their lead if he's letting people with clean driving records off with warnings.

Best of luck. I bet you get off with paying court costs only, maybe some probation.

And yes it can be a valuable lesson for your child, in more ways than one. She will see how wreckless speeders are punished (there will be some of those in the courtroom), plus how citizens can and do fight back in cases like yours.
  • yeppersyeppers Member Posts: 3
    Ask to see when his LIDAR gun was last calibrated and certified? Lot of time's the police go well beyond the certification time frame and their radar is actually out of calibration.

See if the time frame is within tollerence.

For your laser system to interfere they would both have to be on the same or near the same frequency.

http://www.pbelectronics.com/police_lidar_laser.htm

http://www.pbelectronics.com/radar_certification.htm

See above. Yes they do require calibration.
  • floridastevefloridasteve Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone experienced this problem:
    With cruise control on(2008 Avalon-Limited) and set at highway speeds the car will slow down for no apparent reason(conditions clear, no nearby cars, and on a straight-away). Once it was so bad that the car almost stopped. Appears to occur after unit on for approx 2-4 miles.

Thanks in advance for any info/suggestions you can share.
  • tonystewarttonystewart Member Posts: 10
    Push in the buuton , push the stalk away from you until it switches from laser to normal cruise control. You will see go from yellow to green. You don't have to be stopped. It says it in the owners manual ;)
  • brensommerbrensommer Member Posts: 2
    Fast forward over a year and I finally got a court date. Went today and the officer showed up, but recommended my ticket be dismissed. I just had to stand and say "yes" when the judge asked if my plea was still "not guilty". After about 5 minutes they handed my paperwork to the officer, he signed something and then the judge said the officer's recommendation was for dismissal. I look at the officer to say "thank you" and he smiled, nodded and winked. Yea! I haven't had any problems with being pulled over since then, so I'm hoping that means there was a problem with his laser and not my laser cruise. Very happy that I still have a clean driving record!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sweet justice. Good for you for challenging it in court.
This discussion has been closed.