Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Highlander

steven1357steven1357 Member Posts: 69
edited October 2014 in Toyota
Does anyone know when the 2010 Toyota Highlander will be released for sale to the public?

The release dates of the 2008 and 2009 Toyota Highlanders do not seem to provide any real assurance as to when the 2010 will be released.

Comments

• beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    I have asked at 3 dealers and even called ToyotaUSA and I can't get an answer.

It's not like I'm going to buy one of the few leftover oddball 2009 Highlanders they have sitting on the lots. You know, the odd color and option combos that nobody wants for what they're asking ---- about a grand under the sticker.

John
  • steven1357steven1357 Member Posts: 69
    I signed up on the Toyota website to receive future news about the Toyota Highlander. I was told in an E-Mail reply to my E-Mail question to Toyota that I would get the actual announcement of when the 2010 Highlanders would be released as soon as that news was available.

Further, when I Google 2010 Toyota Highlander release date, a couple of articles seem to hint that they may be out earlier than the 2009s. But those articles are not very current and who knows what could have already changed.

I am banking (actually hoping) that I can find out something definite sooner than later.

P.S.:See my next post RE my "Failed Attempt To Purchase 2009 Toyota Highlander Limited".
  • teoteebobteoteebob Member Posts: 16
    I had a salesperson tell me that they THOUGHT that the 2010 would be out in early September. But you know how that goes. It seems if they were going to be out that soon that someone, somewhere would have a firm release date. I would like to compare the 2010 Honda Pilot (already out) with the 2010 Highlander. But if Toyota keeps dragging their feet, I think they will lose a lot of sales to the competition. I might wait if I could find out a release date. I don't want a 2009 Highlander!
    Just curious - What are "your" reasons for wanting to wait for the 2010 Highlander instead of purchasing a 2009?
    P.S.
    My new message entitled "Failed Attempt To Purchase 2009 Toyota Highlander Limited" is Message # 3888 & can be found at http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.eea7277/3887!keywords=#MSG3887
  • ken1948ken1948 Member Posts: 5
    I visited local Toyota dealer who is totally sold out of Highlander Sports, and using his data base they found a total of less than 50 in a two state area. I want a particular color that they seldom put on this vehicle, and will not buy the soon depreciated 2009. Did that last year with a Honda and watched it drop $$12,000 in the first year. Sales manager said he thought mid September on 2010. Anyone heard anything?
    KJ
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The 2010 is likely to have the new Venza F/awd system which will have a much greater potential for being actually functional in conditions of need. It also might be that the new I4 will be available with F/awd and will have adopted DFI by then.

Two (three...??) good reasons to wait.....
  • ny_ny_ Member Posts: 4
    There have been a lot of recent articles and press releases this past week about Toyota's investment in retooling the Indiana plant to make Highlanders there. (Google Highlander plant Indiana) Based on those, it sounds like:

- Current Highlanders are made in Japan, but will start to be made in Indiana later this year
    - The Indiana plant will start producing Highlanders for sale in October
    - At least one article indicated that the Indiana rollout would coincide with the 2010 model release.

So, it may not be until October that we see the 2010 model. There didn't seem to be much in the way of details about how the 2010 model may be different or any specs, so that would be interesting to know.
    THANKS

Those same articles also mention a 41% drop in Highlander sales this year!
    Still, dealers are holding out for unreasonable profits on the sale of a 2009 Highlander. From posts in the Highlander forum here, there are at least 3 more people that would have purchased a 2009 Highlander had the dealers been more reasonable.
  • klcwklcw Member Posts: 6
    According to this:

Toyota Model Lineup - What's New in 10' MY

The 2010 model will come out in Sept. There will be no major changes to Highlander, except that the backup camera/MID would be optional for base models.
    Where does this document come from?

Do you have the link to the original document?
  • peterk9peterk9 Member Posts: 7
    I personally prefer the full time AWD over that of the Venza. This one reason I decided to get another Highlander ('09) instead of the new 2010 Lexus RX which is now also only part time. No matter how quickly the part time AWD kicks in, it still means that a problem has already been detected and the system is reacting after the fact. Also, I quite often use the engine to gear down by taking the vehicle out of overdrive and then gearing down. On a full time AWD all 4 wheels will do the braking whereas on a part time system, only the front wheels will do the braking which on slippery or snow covered roads could throw the vehicle out of control. Also, with some vehicles (Pilot) I understand the part time AWD will not even kick in once you have reached a certain speed. Not too good on highways! But to each his own. That's why people have a choice.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Your new '09 HL is basically a simple ONE-WHEEL drive vehicle, three fully open differentials. Without TC, Traction Control, to (eventually) activate when a wheel or wheels slip you would be STUCK.

Unless we're talking track time, NO ONE should want or wish for an "AWD" system that remains engaged once the vehicle is underway at a decent speed. Most 4WD/4X4 owners with any level of experience will tell you that it is unwise to leave the front drive engaged once underway, best to dedicate those front wheels for directional control.

Sadly, that's something you cannot do with your HL.
  • ptf205ptf205 Member Posts: 8
    dealer told me today "probably late September"
    THANKS for your input, but I find that amazingly the dealers don't know squat.

He told you "probably" late September. If he knew, should not he be able to be a little more specific than that.
    "If he knew, should not he be able to be a little more specific than that"

Yes, which is why i put in quotes "probably late September". I think it's at least a somewhat useful piece of information to know what different dealers are telling customers regarding the release date, so I relayed it here. This isn't the type of information that slowly leaks out to a few people - as soon as it's out there we'll all know in short order...until then it's all speculation.
    I spoke with sales and general manager of Toyota dealership, and Toyota is not telling them when 2010 Highlander will be in. Production moving from Japan to Indiana on this model with some cosmetic changes, and a possible change in transmission they told me, and no one is sure when release is. Late September is possible. I am giving up and heading towards a 2010 Pilot I think, which is ready now.
  • teoteebobteoteebob Member Posts: 16
    Indiana - a new manufacturing line, new workers, possibly a new transmission, no release date yet! I have to agree with ken1948. My last four vehicles have been Toyota's but I'm ready to buy a Honda Pilot EX-L.

The problem around here (Central North Carolina) seems to be availability. I have been tracking the inventories of several dealers around the area. They seem to be slowly dropping with no Pilots that I have noticed being added to the inventory. I think that Honda has made the decision to control price by not providing their dealers with cars. In my opinion, they could sell a lot of cars right now due to the 2010 Highlander not being available. And the Toyota dealers are giving rediculously high quotes on their 2009 Highlanders!
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    It surprises me that so many folks here are surprised that dealers have been vague as to the '10s release date. They have '09s (and in some cases, '08s) they still need to sell NOW.....not late September.
  • kree79kree79 Member Posts: 5
    That document comes straight from Toyota. He shouldn't have posted that information because it is marked confidential and there would be no way possible for you to view the original. That came from an intranet portal that is only accessible by key dealership personnel. But since he did, do you see now that it is not the dealership who is withholding information. Even our info at the dealerships is vague. Just like someone else on here hinted at, Toyota does not really divulge much info because they want us to sell what we have first. Also, you guys misunderstand the reason behind limiting the production on the vehicles. Honda and Toyota both are doing it to help you the customer out. If they were to flood the market with a million SUV's(can you say Chevy or Ford) then the resale values would plummet, you would be pissed, and Toyota and Honda would lose their reputation for such high resale value and low cost of ownership.
    You may not believe it, but everything the Japanese car companies do is geared towards adding value to their cars and increasing customer satisfaction. They know that kaizen(continuous improvement) is the only way to stay at the top. :)
  • yassyyassy Member Posts: 70
    some new changes anticipated for 2010 models.

hid headlights? doubtfull
    turn signals integrated on side mirrors
    new 6 speed transmission.
    new front grill.
    different tail lights

the latter 4 are almost certain.
    i am waiting for 2010. should give better mpg
    "you guys misunderstand the reason behind limiting the production on the vehicles."

I thought Toyota was just out to get me; and everyone else I've run into on a Toyota lot looking for a Highlander Limited. Restricting production is one thing, not having one Highlander in each color - and there aren't that many colors - is silly and driving business to other brands.

I've been carrying my checkbook for two months at least and have spent more time talking to other frustrated Highlander shoppers than sales people. The sales staff just shrugs and says they don't know anything.

Geez, at least offer to find me a car. But no, they've given up it appears.

There are a number of large dealers here in Richmond, Virginia. I frequently travel to the D.C. burbs and have even purchased cars from FitzMall in Maryland. Every Friday I drive west through Charlottesville, and then Staunton, and on to Harrisonburg to take my father to lunch and visit my mother in the nursing home. There's a Toyota dealer in each of those towns. Fwiw, my '06 Avalon XLS w/ nav, etc. came from the Harrisonburg dealer.

Please don't tell me that Toyota has empty new car lots and it's all for my own good.

Aw, what the heck, you're just parroting whatever foolishness they've fed you. "We're here for the customer and we care, but don't have any cars and don't know when we will."

John, aka beachfish
    Down here in Texas near Houston the great Highlander mystery continues. One dealer on the internet has 19 on his lot. I drove excitedly to the lot. He said web was totally off he had two limiteds, and they could try and trade for a Highlander Sport but most dealers who had them would not trade them off . Seems new headlights, tailights, grill, etc on next model has slowed up production to a crawl. Not one in six dealers I visited had a real clue when they would be out. Glad I can wait, then again Honda keeps calling about their Pilot which has been out for a month. hmmmm
    Ken---Yeah you have to look carefully on the website because the ones that show on most of them say either "in stock" or "available". Most people miss this because besides already being focused on other things, it doesn't quite jump out at you. If you are looking for a Sport look in the north Dallas area. Supposedly we're not allowed to mention the dealership name on these blogs, but I would look directly north of Dallas, maybe in the Plano area if it was me. BTW 2010 Highlander is slated to start production in September, so start looking for them to show up at dealerships by early to mid October.
    John---Believe me, it is just as frustrating for us as it is for you. Even if we do find the cars that our customers are looking for(which it's pretty hard right now, btw), that means that we don't get paid on that car until it comes in. So take that and multiply it by four or five cars a month and somebody's not gonna be able to buy diapers this month.

But whether you believe it or not it IS for your(the customer) good. A huge part of it is that they are swapping around a lot of the plants to be able to produce more vehicles in the U.S., so they are trying to squeeze in certain cars here and there to be able to reduce some of the wait time from having to import them.

Besides that they use J.I.T. manufacturing processes and so all production is based on sales data from the last few months. If you don't believe me then look it up. It is taught in several business classes in every college in the nation. It is widely known as the most efficient production process ever designed. That's why Toyota doesn't have its hand out looking for money. It just has flaws in that when there is a spike in the demand for a certain model then there is no excess inventory and there is a shortage while supply catches back up to demand. But believe me you would rather have to look a little longer or order a car than to get ready to sell it in a few years and find out that because there were too many of them 3 years ago they issued a $5k rebate and now your car isn't worth crap. That is the long of the short that I mentioned earlier. It is what makes the imports worth so much more and is what will keep them on top and out of the soup line.
    What utter HOGWASH ! ! ! ! !
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If that's the case then you should have no difficulty elaborating on your characterization rather than issuing a generic scoff.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    It's for my good? Hogwash. :)

"Besides that they use J.I.T. manufacturing processes and so all production is based on sales data from the last few months."

That's how long I've been trying to buy a Limited with NAV and upgraded stereo and XM radio - heck, I'll take everything except the backseat entertainment system. Who do I make the check out to? Oh, that's right, they quit making them a few months ago. One here and two there qualifies as "quit making them."

No wonder they've stopped production, they haven't had anything to sell for at least a few months and you say they're basing their current production on those numbers? :confuse:

If that's the case, then fine, they need to say so. They need to look up the word honesty in the dictionary and own up... "We don't have any, but here's when you can expect them to be available."

Toyota has dropped the ball and isn't interested in letting their customers know what's going on so we can plan. You know, planning, the reason I haven't had a car payment since 1986 and I'm just a 58-y-old working stiff.

Luckily my buyer for the '06 Avalon can afford to wait. She should be willing, gee, a car with a $39.6k sticker that sold for $35k cash in 3/06 and all I want is $19k, give or take depending if I have the brakes and tires done and put a new battery in it or she does. It has 39k miles on it and it's due for new rubber and brakes at some point. I don't like half-worn tires. I've worked with her for 20+ years and it'll be an easy transaction either way. She's giving her old Avalon to her daughter.

Toyota is really sticking it to their dealers and customers, aren't they? And you say they teach that in business school? No wonder the economy is toast and people with money aren't spending it - there isn't much to buy.

I wonder how my old '87 Camry LE is doing these days. Last time I saw it it was still on the road and wasn't burning much oil. It was pushing 250k miles or so.

John
  • yassyyassy Member Posts: 70
    i have no idea what people here bashing about.
    So toyota makes more, value drops?
    Yeah, look at corolla. My 2000 has great resale value, and how many did they make?
    I guess if you say that Toyota is doing it for our own good, you actually start to believe that. ;)

"I" certainly do NOT believe that, and I think that others in this fourm are saying the same thing.

Toyota's actions and that of its dealers is the reason there are still brand new 2008 Highlanders that go unsold. I suggest the same will be true for the remaining 2009 Highlanders once the 2010s come out.
    I thought my "generic scoff" in Message # 27.was as elaborate as they come. :confuse:

But, I did not intend to offend anyone! :sick:

Since I no longer can delete my own "generic scoff", feel free to do so yourself if you can as a host.

I have replaced my "generic scoff" with Message # 32. :shades:
    I think you may have replied to the wrong person.

I am NOT John.

Further, I never ever want anything "bad enough". I can always walk away from anything that does not suit me.
    Easy pal. You misunderstood my comment. When I said "if you want it bad enough"
    I was referring to the fact that I am in Texas and he would probably have to drive or fly here to get it. What is with all the attitudes around here?
  • fred25fred25 Member Posts: 92
    Dealers are not really sure when this release date will be.
    With this uncertain economy Toyota wants to make sure that ALL 2009 Highlanders are sold before they introduce the 2010's. Remember there are no major modification or changes on the 2010 - so they can afford to wait.

Fred
    FINALLY an official press release from Toyota on the release date of the 2010 Toyota Highlander.

Click on the link below.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota-announces-pricing-on-2010-97437.aspx

If you want to see current information on the bad financial & sales information from Toyota, click on the link below & then click on the 8-3-09 and 8-4-09 news release from Toyota showing that information.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/news.aspx
    That link was broken. Think this might be the one you were referencing....

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-announces-pricing-on-2010-97783- .aspx

Anybody have any idea how to reconcile these two statements in the same Toyota press release?...

"The 2010 models will begin arriving at dealerships in August, with the exception of Highlander (September)."
    and...
    "The 2010 Highlander gas model, which will be assembled at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Indiana (TMMI) beginning in October"

How do you get a 2010 model out in Sept if you're only going to start assembling it in October? Or are they only going to start assembling it in Indiana in October, but assembling it somewhere else too prior to that? Does that make any sense?
    The 1st link in the previous Message # 38 seems to have quit working.
    Here it is again (below).

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-announces-pricing-on-2010-97783- .aspx
    I did have the right link before, but for some unknow reason the 97437 in the link was changed to 97783.

When I found it, it was near the top of the press releases, but it is now buried but still there.

I also noticed the discrepancy in the Highlander release date Vs the assembly beginning date. Another document referenced in this discussion by someone else did have the September date. I can only GUESS that September has now become October and someone didn't change September to October at the top of this press release.
  • bearloverbearlover Member Posts: 12
    Steven1357, Have a 2010 on order and hope your short list of changes is correct. What's the source and how much stock do you put in these being made--or is this merely an educated guess? Thanks.
    See the link in Message No. 40 in this thread.
    Those are the only Toyota verified changes that "I" am aware of.

When did the dealer tell you your 2010 Highlander would be in?
    What kind of price did you get on it?
    What dealer are you buying from (Name, City, & State)?
    "Remember there are no major modification or changes on the 2010 - so they can afford to wait."

I can afford to wait, too. There's no need for me to buy a leftover $39k Highlander with funny option combinations and a funnier color that nobody else wanted either. :) My father and I are still debating whether the green one we saw was dumpster green or GI green.

My '06 Avalon has 41k on it and I am having 4 Bridgestone Turanzas w/Serenity
    put on it in the morning. I could have gotten by with 2 on the front, but I wasn't raised that way. Yes, I know I drive too fast and too hard. My father was a state trooper and taught me how.

John aka beachfish
  • edkakedkak Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know when the 2010 Toyota Highlanders will be delivered to the dealers?
    The Toyota news release that I linked to in Message No. 40 is the last info I know of - and believe me, I periodically check for any updated news or release date.

Since September is all but over with, "I" am guessing that October 15th could be it.
  • ghost2010ghost2010 Member Posts: 9
    Dealers I spoke wtih in the greater Chicagoland area said they're expecting to receive theirs during the last week of October.
    Thanks, maybe I'll do a little drive-by shopping next week and wave my checkbook at the sales folks. I'd like to drive one before I order one though.

The Potenzas with Serenity make the Avalon drive and ride better than it ever did with the factory Bridgestones, and they weren't bad. I wouldn't have guessed it would have made a huge difference. Now I want to keep it, sort of.

John
  • edkakedkak Member Posts: 6
    First it was September-then 1st of October-then last of October that the 2010 Highlanders would be delivered to dealers
    What is the problem?.
    Toyota is reportedly asking the government for a huge loan, their government, because they're bleeding money right and left. Japan's economy is in a tailspin with some deflation, the exchange rate isn't helping them and they can't sell cars if they don't make them.

August 4th - www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/04/business/main5211178.shtml

"Toyota, based in Toyota city, central Japan, lost 140 billion yen ($1.5 billion) during the quarter ended June 30 because of the appreciation of the yen. It lost another 650 billion yen ($6.8 billion) in operating income because of miserable auto sales."

"The automaker has aggressively cut costs to ride out the downturn - slashing jobs and production, trimming managerial pay, reducing investment and foregoing travel and other expenses."

"Earlier this year, Toyota chose Akio Toyoda, the grandson of the automaker's founder, as its new president in an effort to use his charisma to bring the ranks of workers, dealers and suppliers together.

Toyoda has said the automaker will be making more managerial decisions by region, to stay nimble despite its size but has yet to give details of a turnaround strategy."

They're in deep trouble.

John
  • ny_ny_ Member Posts: 4
    Finally some real news about the 2010 Highlanders starting production in Indiana:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/10/toyota-highlander-production-commences-in-ind- iana/

Any idea how many can they make a day?
    Thanks for the article. Funny how they used a 2008 pic and gallery.

I have no idea how many they can build a day; I only need one. :)

beachfish/jt
    The Toyota website has finally changed the Highlander information over from the 2009 Highlander to the 2010 Highlander.

But, they did NOT do a thorough job. When you try to price the 2010 Highlander, the page still says 2009 Highlander. But, since the prices supposedly are the SAME for both years, that should not be a problem.
This discussion has been closed.