Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Hybrid - Hybrid System Problems

Comments

• inverterhellinverterhell Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my HH new in 2006. 2 yrs ago my inverter failed while on the freeway on-ramp. New inverter installed, covered by warranty. Yesterday my wife was sitting in the parking lot when the 2nd inverter failed. Less than 100K miles on the vehicle so I assume my 3rd inverter will be under warranty. I'm going to demand to see the old part and get a copy of documentation that the inverter they install this time is new and of the redesigned lineage. Anything else I should do (other than sell this lemon)?
  • inverterhellinverterhell Member Posts: 2
    My apologies for jumping the gun. The dealer just called to say it was due to my 12V starter battery (not the hybrid) battery. The symptoms this time were so close to what happened when my 1st converter failed that I mistakenly thought it was another converter failure... Still, it is quite disturbing that a 12V battery fault can cause so much trouble. Though I guess that can be the case with most any modern (i.e. computer controlled) vehicle. Would be nice if the Highlander computers were smart enough to display that it is the 12V battery at fault.

And not that I needed to employ it in this situation, but remember the proper jump-start sequence for connecting jumper cables. Positive dead battery to positive donor battery, then negative donor battery to a grounding bolt on the dead car (not the dead battery). Start the donor car, then (hopefully) the dead car. Disconnect cables in reverse order. This is an abbreviated version of how to jump start a car. Of course read your owner's manual for a full description. Bye for now (and hopefully for a long time) :)
  • astamperastamper Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2007 Highlander Hybrid. Took it in this morning for its 55,000 mile service. Got a call a few hours later that after the service the car died while on its test drive. Dealer had it towed and got me a rental. They said it's the inverter. Thankfully it's still under warranty and thankfully I wasn't driving the car. I'm wondering if anyone has had problems once you got a new inverter? We have 2 little kids so we're wondering if maybe it's time for a new car. I'd hate for this to happen again.
  • alize323alize323 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 highlander hybrid and my inverter failed. Problem is that it has 107,000 miles on it and its no longer covered under warranty. I really can't afford to pay for this part, dealer is asking for over $8000 for the part itself, not including the labor. My biggest problem is that my husband and I both work for the same company and we have been advised that the company will be closing down by the end of the month..Imagine if I couldn't afford this part while I was working, now unemployed this is a nightmare
  • irina2irina2 Member Posts: 23
    Alize, feel free to email me directly...my preferences are set to public...i may have some useful info for you. Irina.
  • cbjamescbjames Member Posts: 1
    Need help with inverter failure on 2006 hybrid highlander
  • nscznscz Member Posts: 1
    Hello
    I am in Canada but live in the USA and my 2006 hylander hybrid died without warning- same problem- check hybrid system, check CSV system. I have no warranty as I have 165k miles on my car and now am trying to get to the USA.
  • alardinalardin Member Posts: 2
    MY 06 HIGHLANDER WENT OUT GOING 70 ON THE FREEWAY.. THEY QUOTED ME 8600 PLUS DOLLARS. IT WAS THE INVERTER... WOW I DONT HAVE THIS KIND OF MONEY...
  • alardinalardin Member Posts: 2
    SAME STORY WITH 122K ON MY 40,000 DOLLAR CAR ...
    THEY ACT LIKE THEY ARE GOING TO HELP BUT DONT
  • jim06jim06 Member Posts: 5
    I too was a victim of Inverter / Converter failure Sunday on Hybrid Highlander with 67k. As I accelerated from approx 10 mph we heard a pop and the vehicle lost power. Although the engine was still running when you depressed the gas pedal the vehicle was disabled. We are lucky there was enough forward momentum so we were able to limp to the side of the road. We towed it to a Toyota dealer where it was diagnosed with Inverter failure......They have since called me to inform me that the repair was covered under my warranty....We..... as of Tuesday are waiting for PARTS....BEFORE WORK CAN BEGIN. I will keep you informed as to what transpires. If any one has a copy of the Technical Service Bulletin regarding this repair or any other information I would appreciate it....

JIM
  • johnmikeswearjohnmikeswear Member Posts: 8
    Because of this website and the continued failure of the inverters in the Highlanders my friends are dumping there cars.
    I have not commented in a while. I have been in contact and gave my story of how my car almost killed me to the National Auto Safety representative. I have not heard anymore. I did hear there is a class action suit started in Southern California. I only hear now from more victims. I really do not see why they have not pulled these cars off the road. I cannot believe the dealers that are asking more then the cars are worth and will not fix these cars. I had a friend who builds cars and he called to get a price for the inverter. He could purchase one for $4500. Are the dealerships just lying? When they charge $8000 to $14.000. It is pretty transparent that Toyota is not looking out for our safety and the safety of others.
    One has to wonder, also, even about the wholesale price of $4500...how was that determined??? This is a brave new world we have all entered into--buying cars with weird parts like INVERTORS... parts that haven't been around long enough to have market forces set the actual cost... Toyota can just pick a number and charge us... and that's what they did... and those of us backed into a corner just paid up... I spoke with a very sharp mechanic in the LA area who was willing to give it a try and actually fix someone's broken inverter (he has background in working with electronic gadgets)... and he was thinking it could cost in the many hundreds, rather than in thousands... but he couldn't offer any guarantees... but that might be an option for someone out there who has a spare car... and lives in the LA area... I have his contact info... we couldn't do it because we needed a fast and definite fix
    Well the HIGHLANDER has been in the shop for going on 5 days now. The first day towed to the dealer, the second day, diagnosis of the problem, day three order parts and begin work, it has been on the rack for the past two going on three days now. The service writer has been calling me every day with updates and promises that it will be ready today. So far I am satisfied with thier performance. We have only one issue left to discuss, and that would be the cost of towing. I reviewed the Toyota " NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY INFORMATION HANDBOOK " and it states on page 10 under " TOWING " " WHEN YOUR VEHICLE IS INOPERABLE DUE TO FAILURE OF A WARRANTED PART, TOWING TO THE NEAREST AUTHORIZED TOYOTA DEALERSHIP IS COVERED " So we will see were that all goes....I will keep you up to date as " OPERATION INVERTER REPLACEMENT " moves forward.
  • dnvr_co_johndnvr_co_john Member Posts: 1
    Our 2006 HH Limited is now on its 3rd Inverter Converter assembly. The first one failed at 7200 miles as we were driving down from the mountains on I-70 into Denver. We were in the right lane & the Error stated flashing and the vehicle shut down with heavy traffic we had enough speed to get off at an exit. Three weeks ago we were headed up hill accelerating and at just over 40 MPH ther was a loud 'Bang" the Engine shut off and we got over to the shoulder. The VSC, Hybrid & AWD System Failures where all flashing. This time the Engine would restart but the throttle had no affect & shifting into Reverse or Drive did nothing. Luckily we only have 88,900 miles so the Warranty covered it again ($11000 here in CO).
    We also had a Power-steering ECU failure (due to corrosion ???) & a mysterious 12V battery failure that were not covered by Warranty. I am trying to convince my wife we need to dump this garbage before we have a failure that is not covered & the repairs are more than the trade-in value.
  • karen80karen80 Member Posts: 5
    I originally wrote on this blog in January/February when my inverter failed. I have been following the updates ever since. I filed my complaint with the National Highway and Transportation Safety Administration in March. I received an email from them today collecting information for the federal investigation. One of the questions they have is whether I had the broken inverter in my possession. Unfortunately, I did not ask for it back. For the new folks to this blog, please ask for the inverter back so that the US department of transportation can look at them. Also, if you have not filed your complaint, I strongly encourage that you do so. It only took me 10 minutes to complete the on-line complaint form at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    Karen80

Thanks for the information...I filed my complaint with the NHTSA this morning regarding our inverter failure.....I will be going to pick up our Highlander this morning, I will try to get our inverter back....Lets see how that goes....Just a bit of info for everyone I posted yesterday regarding getting reimbursed for towing. The dealer told me to bring them a copy of tow receipt, they will submit it to Toyota corporate along with thier warranty work order and the dealer will reimburse us when they received thier $ from Toyota....
    Good Morning Steve
    I too have been bitten by the dreaded INVERTER FAILURE....I was hoping you could forward the TSB regarding this issue to me...If you have it posted somewhere let me know....It sure is funny how you can't find this on the internet anywhere....

THANKS
    JIM
    Karen....

Picked up the Highlander this morning.....so far everything seems to be fine......
    I did ask the service writer for the old inverter back.......He told me they had to send back to Toyota. He actually showed me the warranty form they have to fill out and send back with the dead inverter...He showed me the invoice from Toyota for the inverter $7367.00 for just the inverter. He took the copy of the receipt from the towing company and said we should be getting a check back for the towing fee in 30 days. So far we got the car back at no cost to us...should have the towing fee soon ...next steo trade this POS in before it blows up again.....
  • jhellisjhellis Member Posts: 2
    Hi

I have a 2007 Hylander Hybrid and experienced the dreaded inverter failure. I still owe on the car, have been asked to pay $10,000 for the repair, and Toyota will do nothing because it has 120,000 miles. My vin is 70020221 and it died, so I am not sure about this "break" determination. I would welcome any advice on what to do besides calling NHTSA, the FTC, and my Attorney General. Thanks,
    Hi jhellis, I'm not sure if the VIN breakdown would apply since your car is a 2007 (I believe that whole issue with the TSB was for 2006). Have you tried calling/writing Toyota corporate and taking the angle that you know of real people that either had a complete fix for free (as good will -- see prior entries on this forum) or had at least partial help towards the fix...like us...we got $2500....and we were well over 100K miles. Also, if you're in the LA area and you really don't want to pay $10K consider contacting a mechanic to try and fix it (I can give you more specific reference of someone who wants to try, if you contact me by email...hope I'm allowed to say that...I've had previous entries removed for suggesting people contact me offline...fyi, my email is set to 'public'). I still think going to the media is an important avenue...but I tried that and didn't get anywhere...but it's now a few months later and now that there's a NHTSA investigation, maybe someone will be interested in the scoop. Someone else suggested if you know someone with a large Tweeter following, to tweet out about this inverter failure issue and associated costs...so people will start to listen and a buzz will ensue that will reach the deaf ears of Toyota. I feel your pain.
  • jtimharringtonjtimharrington Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get the TSB. I have not yet had problem with my Highlander 2006 hybrid, I have 62,000 miles. I called the dealer they "suggested" I must be mistaken. There was no inverter problem. Clearly I am very concerned since I do mostly highway driving. The TSB would help when I go back to the dealer. Thanks
  • jhellisjhellis Member Posts: 2
    When did the NHTSA start an investigation on the inverter problem? On their website I only see accelerator/Prius issues. I am expecting a call from the regional manager of Toyota today and need all the information I can get to make my threat of serious cage rattling resonate.

Thanks for the info!
    NHTSA started their investigation some time around March 1 2011 (+/- a few days)
    jtimharrington: If jim06 hasn't contacted you about your request, I can email you the TSB report. You have to email me directly. My email is set to public.
  • shompolespshompolesp Member Posts: 2
    The more I read the messages about dead or dying Toyota Highlander Hybrids, the more I feel I bought a piece of junk for 45K. The last few weeks as the weather improved, I could not get the car to cool down and when I took it to the dealer Toyota of Pullman on May 19th 2011, I was told that the AC Compresor was faulty and needed replacement at $4200. This car has only 92.7K miles but I was told that the part was not covered by any warranty! Where do you find this kind of money to spend on an AC? So, I took the car home with a broken heart. Broken by the very hybrid car system I have so praised and exalted to my friends for so long that now I am embarrassed to meet them! Even my wife commented the other day...I thought you said Toyotas last for ever. From this blog, it appears that in the Toyota HH world, FOREVER is 5 or less years.
    To add salt into the already injured heart, 16 days later as I was driving to a graduation event, I heard a strange noise under the bonnet and suddenly all dashboard lights started flashing and 'Check Hybrid System', 'Check CSV System' appeared. Shortly thereafter, the engine died and the car drifted to a halt besides the road. It has been towed to the dealer and as I await the diagnosis on Monday, I can almost smell it in the air! I will update this soon.
    all i can say is that you're sooooo lucky your inverter (probably!) failed while your car is still under 100K miles so that your hybrid treasure didn't now cost you another $10K in repairs...like it did for the rest of us suckers...and that you didn't get hurt.
  • bobbyg3bobbyg3 Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 Highlander Hybrid came to a dead halt last Friday agternoon going just over 40 MPH on a busy street in Austin, TX. The engine would run, but it would not move in any gear. I had it towed to the Toyota Dealer on I-35 and it was diagnosed with a failed power inverter - a $9,000 repair. It has 70k miles and I just purchased it for $18k a couple of months ago. The original owner purchased an extended warranty to 100k miles, so very fortunate that this very expensive repair was covered including a free rental car for the week it was in the shop. I will definitely purchase another warranty when this one expires as who can afford this type of repair on a used vehicle!
  • tx78746tx78746 Member Posts: 3
    You were lucky. Don't let the Highlander get over 100,000. I had the same experience in Austin on Loop 360 but had more mileage. I had to send it to an auction and got essentially a parts value for what otherwise would have been a premium automobile for its mileage.
  • davida21_77davida21_77 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am new to this forum, my question to any one is...I have a 2011 highlander limited hybrid...I only have 4900 miles on it...and I have noticed that the MPG given on that little screen to the right does not match the fuel gauge in the center. In other words the little screen says that I am getting 28-30 mpg so about a crusing range of 415-525 miles but at 300 miles the main gauge goes to empty...has any one noticed this on their highlander?
  • shompolespshompolesp Member Posts: 2
    I guess I haven't been so lucky to get an inverter problem. Mine turned out to be an AC Compressor Unit failure which shut down the whole system and the car had to be towed. After contacting the Dealer (Toyota of Pullman WA), the diagnosis turned out to be as stated above and the repairs were estimated at about $5500 and the parts were not covered by any warranty since as I was told I was on a 5 year/60K miles. My car had just turned 5 years and 1 week with 93K miles. No remedy was offered by the National Toyota Customer Support instead they suggested giving me $750 towards trading in the car (how insensitive!).
    So, here I am, with a 5 year old $45,00 fully paid piece of JUNK! And two weeks without transport!
    Anybody out there with experience with Toyota Highlander Hybrid AC Compressor problems or know of refurbished compressors I can buy and use?
    Suggestions are welcome.
  • maryland_johnmaryland_john Member Posts: 12
    Great news! Once our recall notice comes out, which sounds like when Toyota says they have replacement parts, we can be reimbursed for paying for the repair. I didn't have the heart to ask about people who were forced to scrap their cars? And also, we can submit for reimbursement "consideration" but my dealer said it should go through, just a long process. Thanks to everyone who complained and filed with the FEDS. This happened much quicker because of your action.

John (an early victim)
    Double yeah!! Thanks karen80 for notifying us all. I just called the Toyota custormer service 800 number and after a rather long wait was able to confirm that my car falls into the recall group. I asked if we would be reimbursed (since we already shelled out $8K for the fix) and her reply was 'absolutely'...but to wait until the notification comes in the mail. She also said the recall applies to models made between Feb 2005 and Aug 2006. I'm not holding my breath until I see the check, but this is definitely very good news. Not sure how the poor folks who sold their cars for scrap, before this option was announced, could be "made whole"...but I would sure be calling Toyota ( or other options?) to discuss their cases. I feel really horrible for those of you in that category...please contact me if there's any way to help you...
  • monte8monte8 Member Posts: 75
    " I have noticed that the MPG given on that little screen to the right does not match the fuel gauge in the center."

I have a 2008 HiHy. This is the nature of the electronic gas milage function. It is an estimate. Mine is usually overstating gas milage by 1.5 mpg, but every once in a while it understates the mpg. The computer is using an algorithm to estimate milage based on various readings, it does not measure fuel flow directly.

I believe this is true of all such reading, no matter the make and model.
  • skybounddanaskybounddana Member Posts: 1
    My AC on my 2006 Hybrid Highlander just went out... OMG I could not beleive this is almost a $5000 repair... $2558.86 is my wholesale on-line price just for the Compressor. I'm shocked and will never buy another Toyota again. Has anyone had any luck with the after markets ?...I found one on EBay for $190 , made in Texas, with a warranty.
  • woodfamily20woodfamily20 Member Posts: 7
    Hey guys - thanks for the head's up. We paid for the labor portion of the repairs, but then traded our car in last November. I called Toyota and they had me fax in all of the information - service invoice, proof of payment, and proof of past ownership and they said I should hear something in about 6 weeks. They won't guarantee reimbursement, but we'll see! I'm so happy to see a recall and pray that this issue won't happen to anyone else now. :surprise:
  • kdegrukdegru Member Posts: 2
    1)Many thanks for Karen for alerting me to this recall. I just purchased a high mileage used 2006 HiHY and at my first service they did the electric power steering unit recall which would have cost me around $1600 if not covered. It was covered even though I have 120K miles on the car. I hope this new safety recall for the inverter is will also be covered.
    2) Can anyone share with me what real world mileage I can expect with this car? I am only getting around 22MPG with mixed driving and I am driving very deliberately to economize on fuel.
  • kebec53kebec53 Member Posts: 1
    2006 4wd HiHy 81 000 km: It happened yesterday at only 40 kph (canada) in a usually very busy intersection in town: it was as if someone had thrown a big steel bar in the front wheel spokes, it just made the car jerk very hard (without any braking lights in the back of course: nobody was too near my back). I almost hit the front windshield with my head but my belt was well adjusted (no air bags came out as I did not hit anything). I dont want to imagine that situation happening at 90+ kph in a tightturn narrow road (this is the case here) after loosing all stability driving safeguards. I would probably not be here to tell the story today!! After that shock (±3s), it just went into a free wheeling mode (like in neutral) and I had chance to run slowly to the side of the road and clear myself out of the way. The message center said AWD failure, check HYBRID system and check CSV (I think). Almost the full XMAS tree. No way to get back on track. Had the vehicule towed. I am still frightened today. One important note is that the dealer said the present recall for emergency lights in the dash IS NOT the same as an inverter recall (i believe it is a disguised one though). It will probably be covered by canadian 8yr hybrid parts coverage or by a secret TSB. Waiting for the parts to arrive end of next week. Good luck to all as I think people could get really hurt in another situation.
  • kdegrukdegru Member Posts: 2
    I have read to this point and am I sad. I recently bought a clean but high milage (120K) 2006 HiVi LTD and although I thought this was a dream come true own such a luxury car as this I am now thinking this may be the beginning of a nightmare. With only less than 1K miles since owning the care pefrorms great for me. For my first service and checkup the dealer called my attention to the Toyota campaign to replace the electric steering gear unit and they did it for free. I am really shocked that Toyota left all these good folks out to dry with the Inverter power control units. If Toyota wanted to actually encourage the development and public acceptance of their Hybrid Synergy Drive technology you would think they would quietly fix these flaws whenever found and the less said the better. The bad word of mouth just may be more devastating than just biting the bullet and making the repairs to the faulty Inverter Controllers. Great to hear on June 29, 2011 Toyota has officially admitted their shame in this matter.
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    You are correct. We have a 2007 HH and I lost some sleep over all the inverter problem reports UNTIL Toyota announced the recall. While it doesn't eliminate the danger, at least they will pay for any repairs so we have been much more relaxed since June. Be sure to get the recall applied as soon as possible. They might give you a hassle over the mileage but probably not.
    My daughter in law has a 2006. She hasn't lost any sleep over it.
    Steve
  • eriweneriwen Member Posts: 15
    My 2006 HH, 87,000 miles, went from driving perfectly to sounding like a cement mixer with the check engine light flashing. Then the Check CVS System warning came on and a few seconds later started flipping to Check Hybrid System - these warnings flipped back and forth while the check engine light continued to flash. I was seconds from home (and, thankfully, not going very fast) so practically coasted into the driveway. I had it towed to my mechanic who hooked it to the computer -- one of the error messages stated Fuel Low even though the tank was full. They had to finish another car so mine sat. The next day, I started looking for issues with the car and found this forum. The inverter problem sounded exactly like what happened to me -- I phoned NHTSA and got a claim # and was given the # to Toyota national. While waiting to connect to someone there, I found the post stating there is a recall effective June 29. Toyota also gave me a case # and sent the info to the dealer, so I had my car towed to Toyota.
    The service guy immediately said it did not have to be the inverter since the check engine light came on.
    Yesterday they call to tell me it is not a hybrid problem; it is an engine problem: problem with the short block at the bottom of the engine, engine won't spin, crank shaft is being blocked, & -- get this-- pieces of the engine are OUT OF PLACE. They want me to agree to pay 1100 to start to diagnose and it could cost up to 6K to repair! He suggests I trade it in since it is a five year old car -- heck, I always keep my cars about 10 years!
    I flip out and tell them with a 5 year old TOYOTA at 87,000 miles, this should not happen. I call the on-site customer service manager to complain (who I had met the day before). How would engine pieces of a TOYOTA just start breaking off? I call NHTSA and file a complaint. I call Toyota National to complain. I go back in and show the records of the maintenance on the car (like clockwork). The service manager called some "higher up" and they are proceeding this morning by taking off a pan (not that I know what pan) to see why the crank shaft turns one way and stops and turns back and stops, but won't go around. Once they see if they can determine problem, the regional person will be called again.
    I again reiterated how ridiculous it is that this is not covered by Toyota and the reason I bought the brand is because the vehicles are supposed to last for well over 100K! (No, I did not have an extended warranty -- too expensive at the time; in hindsight probably something I should have done.)
    They are well aware I filed a complaint with NHTSA. I told them if I keep the car, I want the inverter replaced immediately!
    Sorry for the length of the post, but if anyone is told pieces of the engine are "out of place" they should contact NHTSA (1-888-327-4236).
    I will keep you apprised of what Toyota does -- or does not -- do for me.
    Toyota dropped the oil pan and saw internal damage, finding a lot of metal chunks. It seems something let loose in the engine and now I needed to authorize them to take the engine out of the car ($500) to see if there is any damage to main bearings or oil starvation. THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE. The service mgr said it does not seem that anything I could have done would have caused this damage. They need to see if my mechanic did anything wrong through these years or if it just happened. He told me that if Toyota DECIDES to help, I need to participate in paying for part of this - replacing the short block -- $4500 or so - and perhaps Toyota would pay 50%. I asked why I had to pay any part of it since it seems this is a a failure on Toyota's part, and he told me they would expect me to "participate" since it is out of warranty, over 60,000 miles - a five year old car with 87000 miles.
    There has to be something wrong with an engine if parts of it start loosening! I am going to contact NHTSA tomorrow to give them an update on my case. I don't know if I can ever buy another Toyota again.
    Has anyone ever heard of this happening with an engine?
    When I spoke to Toyota customer care - national - and asked the same question - what if I trade in the car and don't fix it but then there is a recall on the problem I had, the person told me that if I can prove I owned the car with the problem then they sometimes pay -- not sure what they would base the payment calculation on? But he said there have been times Toyota has paid a person who got rid of a car because of an expensive repair before the recall went into effect.
    This may be a complete lie, but it is still something to pursue.
    Oops, I typed CVS System in my post -- must have drugstores on my mind! It is CSV or something like that!
    Still waiting for the engine to be examined and to be told the status/diagnosis. At this point, all I know is they are giving me a rental car. Even with the 50% offer from Toyota, if the engine just fell apart on its own, why isn't Toyota willing to stand behind their product? The 50% I have to "participate" in is based on the retail price, while the 50% they are "participating" in is probably based on wholesale -- not quite even here.

I am nervous about keeping the car after 100,000 miles after reading all of the posts. Possible major A/C problems? OMG. Only 13,000 miles to go.

At least they are going to replace the inverter issue because of the recall. However, I am still nervous about it and going to consider getting rid of it at the 100,000 mark. It is a bit late for me to get an extended warranty for a year, and it is probably too expensive!
    edited July 2011
    I heard from customer service at Toyota today. They determined that the valve spring broke in the engine! My local mechanic got my hopes up saying that should be covered under the Power Train warranty - possibly up to 100,000 miles -- but I just did an on-line search and called a different Toyota service and was told the Power Train warranty is still 60 months/60,000 miles. That is quite lousy. Not very happy with that kind of warranty on the engine.
    I am waiting for the manager of the service department to call me with a quote. My local mechanic told me to call him once I get the estimate. I doubt he can help if Toyota was willing to pay half, but I will see.
    I keep thinking, "What if I had been on the interstate doing 70 mph? Would my daughter and I be okay?"
    A TOYOTA!
  • crtnupcrtnup Member Posts: 1
    ugh - it seems it is our turn... no previous problems with 2006 H which I love - regular maintenance (and new tires last week, btw) and it just shut down on a busy road yesterday CSV message and then the check hybrid system msg). Thankfully I was able to coast to the shoulder, but the potential for disaster was there (in the right lane, no traffic in my way at the moment, etc.)... lights not dimming and tank full of gas... 106,000 miles on it... awaiting the service report and truthfully, sick to my stomach. I have loved this car... regardless of what the outcome is, should we consider selling (cut and run response)?
  • johnmikeswearjohnmikeswear Member Posts: 8
    I just got my recall statement in the Mail. We all are so lucky that our cars didn't kill or injury us. I drove by the spot on the highway taking my wife to jury duty this morning. I still sweat when I get close to where there could have been a serious accident. They did fix my car and it has not had any problems since but this was a very serious fault and reading all thes comments just makes me think that Toyota was just going to not respond to the seriousness of this problem that people could die or get injuried. Thank you all for making this happen. These cars are out there and when I see another Highlander I try not to get in back of it.
    Thank you all and there is resolve coming.
  • socallrsocallr Member Posts: 2
    I think the plan to not get behind a Highlander is a good one.

I have been an enthusiastic fan of my "06 Highlander Hybrid from the beginning. I loved my car so much that when, last July, I suddenly and completely lost power (read: inverter assembly failure to the--covered under warranty still--tune of $8K) I believed the dealership when they said, "Wow, this is so weird. We never see this."

Fast forward to this July, one year after they replaced the inverter assembly, when I was driving home to southern California and my car failed again! This time I was going about 75mph on I-40. Fortunately, I could pull over safely and not cause an accident. Fortunately, I have about 1200 miles left on my warranty, so the repair would be covered even if they hadn't issued the recall. Unfortunately, I have really lost faith in Toyota--at least as far as the Highlanders go. My husband and I are likely to replace the car, that is once we get it back from the dealership. (Two and a half weeks and counting!)
    I am still waiting for my repaired car. Toyota told me they practically have to replace the entire engine since the weakened valve spring came off and did a lot of damage -- to the tune of $11,000! No extended warranty, 87,000 miles, 5 years old. They "asked" me to "participate" in the repair for the amount of $2500. Then the dealership will pay some and Toyota will take care of the rest. They will only warranty the new parts for one year/unlimited mileage. I think they should warranty for 3 years/36000, and I am going to start my letter writing today. I have updated NHTSA about the defective engine (I think if a valve spring weakens and breaks off, the engine is defective.) and copied Toyota national and the dealership. Today I am going to write everyone I can think of to complain.
    I, too, have lost faith in Toyota. I don't know what I am going to do yet, but once I can handle a monthly payment I am getting rid of this car. This car that I have loved and talked glowingly about since I got it. Toyota is not standing behind their product.
    Today I am going into the third week without the car; it took them about 8 days to pull it all apart and figure out the problem, as I have posted. The service people at the dealer could not be nicer, but I want a better warranty, a smaller amount - or zero - to participate, and Toyota national to "step up" and admit there was something wrong.
  • n3tel3n3tel3 Member Posts: 4
    Dealer says $10K to replace inverter, BUT only after that is done can they see if the transmission is OK. He was kind of hinting that sometimes the inverter damages the transmission. I've not heard that one before. That may bring the total bill to $15,000.

Not a lick of trouble until now. Dead on the side of the road at 119,500.

Just a sudden loss of power under moderate acceleration. There may have been a small noise, not sure?

Called NHTSA and filed a report. This IS most certainly a safety issue. I recall a few years ago a minivan ( I think ) stalled on Route 50 a few miles East of DC, and all (4?) occupants were killed when they were rear ended. Same situation can occur with this problem.

Where is Toyota on this?