Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 Lincoln LS 3.9 V8 Sputtering/Bucking

costew93costew93 Member Posts: 5
edited September 2014 in Lincoln
Hello:

I am new to this forum and to Lincoln LS ownership and was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what is wrong with my LS.

Its a 2001 3.9 V8..79000miles and has been kept pristine. Looks like it just came off the showroom floor. However, it doesn't drive like it right now.

Lately as I drive and the car shifts thru all gears when it comes to 5th it starts "bucking/Jumping " and hesitates however, once past 60mph its smooth again. And sitting at stop lights it sometimes "bucks and sputters" with that same sensation as mentioned before.

I am not sure if it has been tuned before...I have had a lot of routine maintanence done to it lately. Trainy fluid change, coolant etc. I hate the thought of maybe purchasing a problem prone car. I LOVE this car and I would love to know what this might be.

By the way I have no check engine lights and no stalling. This is only an occasional problem as of yet.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Could be the COPs (coils). They're prone to failure. Leaking valve cover gasket can also cause oil to build up in the spark plug wells which causes the COPS to fail more quickly. Tranny is the other possibility as is the fuel pump.
  • Options
    brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    Your description sounds like you have one or more bad COPs. Your dealer can do a stress test on them as well as run some other diagnostics such as fuel pressure whether the check engine light is illuminated or not. As akirby said, coils do fail with some regularity. When they find the bad one(s), they will check for oil pooling in the spark plug wells. If that is found, valve cover gaskets will need replacement.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, you can change the coils pretty easily and save a ton of money. The valve cover job is bit of a bear, though. If you tackle that, have plenty of bandaids handy for the skinned knuckles. Also, even if you are not prone to swearing, you might utter a few choice words as you are working on the driver's side.
  • Options
    michael135michael135 Member Posts: 1
    My Lincoln has a knocking sound coming from the left hand side of engine if your at the front end....seems to be coming from there or the intake area....i have heard what rod bearing and rod knock sounds like and it doesnt sound like that...i have no clue if its the head or intake making the noise...the car doesnt smoke at all but it barely has power enough to move it around in the yard...it also spark knocks when you give it gas just to move it in the driveway...the car has a brand new transmission and looks great...it has 142,000 miles on it and a used engine is about 2000 dollars...if i knew it was the head or intake that would be a cheaper fix than a new engine...can someone please help me with this issue?
  • Options
    johnhnjjohnhnj Member Posts: 1
    Hi.

I am having a very similar problem and have eliminated all of the typical issues with my LS. I have a 2003 3.0 with 148,000

Did you resolve your problem and if so what did you have to do?

John.
  • Options
    lincolngirllincolngirl Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    I have a Lincoln LS 2001 with 160,000 miles, has always been maintained well. 3 1/2 weeks ago, it started to rough idle. I have had every possible test ran on it. I had all fuel injectors changed, hoping to solve the problem and it has not. The last code it has been reading is that the driver's side is too rich in fuel and the passenger's side reads too lean in fuel. Has anybody had the same problem?? Once given more gas, the tractor noise seems to go away. Any body has ideas?? :confuse:
  • Options
    gk_lsegk_lse Member Posts: 4
    My 2002 LSE with the 3.9 V8 has been giving me one issue after another. Nothing much for 1st 100K miles but ridiculous for last 5K miles. Anyways, I've had both the coils replaced (December) and fuel pump go out (last week).

Today, there's an issue with Advancetrac. I'd dump this thing now but we're in need of replacing our '98 Explorer first.
  • Options
    badkwbadkw Member Posts: 3
    You say you had both coils replaced? There's eight of them. If they only replaced two, maybe you still have a COP problem.
This discussion has been closed.