Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Backup camera advice

sedonachrissedonachris Member Posts: 5
edited July 2014 in Kia
Though my Sedona has the backup sonars, I've had for 2 years a backup mirror on my rear window to see my hitch for backing up to the trailer. It has been great for parking, but the hitching up was sub optimal, due to the fact that I had mounted the mirror on the passenger side of the rear window and thus a diagonal of view on the hitch had.

However the mirror has fallen off of the window. And now I'm looking to replace it with a backup camera. Does any one has experience with them?
They come in different wide angles and I'm not sure whether to go with 90 or 120 deg. ?
Any recommendations?

As for the monitor; I'm planning for a mirror replacement version with Bluetooth and SD card playback. It solves the search for a suitable spot on the dash and is less obvious (generating less unwanted attention of low lives).
Also I'm planning on using a wired camera, because the wireless has been reported to attract interference of other cameras. I've looked in the roof and it looks like I could fish the wire through it...

Anyone had an opinion based on actual experience with the cameras?

Have Fun, Chris.
2007 Sedona EX.

Comments

• Options
    doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    This one was recommended by someone on another forum: Boyo VTL300 Zince Metal Black License Plate Camera. It has good ratings at amazon and is priced at $137.99,

I am thinking of purchasing a minivan. Would you buy your Sedona again? Consumer Reports says it is repair-prone, but from what I read on these forums, so are the Toyota and Honda minivans.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, I've just received one from ebay seller Savebase. (C$ 111)
    Now I'm trying to figure out how to wire it all up... :-(

As for the Sedona, yes I would buy one again. In the 3 yrs I have it, all repairs have been covered by warranty. The driver side arm rest is now replaced twice. (The adjustment mechanism seems weak. I just hope they fix it with a mod., before the warranty runs out...) ) The driver side door lock failed. A computer update had failed. (Was done on a Friday. What resulted in a rental van over the weekend, paid by Kia.)
    Other than these, I've had no problems and am very pleased with the comfort level and driving of the van.
    It's great for puling the popup trailer. :)

Check it out! :shades:
  • Options
    doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    Thanks for your reply! Hope you got your camera hooked up OK. How is it working out?
  • Options
    The mirror is having an issue with the blue tooth feature. I'm still working on it with the seller.
    The camera is tested, but it's too cold to install it at the moment... Need to find out how to remove the panels on the hatch and how to get the backup light power to the camera...

First let the snow melt...
This discussion has been closed.