Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    If you are using auto mode at some point the system is going to start blending in cooler air to maintain set temperature.

When it starts blowing cool, crank the temperature up all the way. As long as it starts blowing hot air, all is fine.

If you don't like auto mode, just crank the temp and adjust the blower speed manually.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• neil1neil1 Member Posts: 20
    My wife and I had heater issues on a long road trip late last year - enough to get the owners manual out and try to resolve it. Never did! The car was loaded with Christmas presents and we could not figure out a way to stop the rear floor level heat coming in and baking the stuff on the floor.
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    As I said before I have to use it manually. I don;t like this. Why have auto. Why have my other cars worked fine on auto. This is the first car where it ever been a thought.
    IDK, any car I've ever owned with Auto Temp started blowing cool air after awhile while heating. My 00 Solara and 06 Avalon did it as well as both of my current cars. If the cabin would get cool, the system will warm it up.

• rotterdam6rotterdam6 Member Posts: 36
    I have found with both my Avalons, 2008 and 2012, that in auto mode hot/warm air flows initially, but them cooler air comes from the upper vents....bi-level mode. At that point I switch to manual mode and "foot" mode and warm air returns. I only use auto at the beginning. Auto works fine at all times in the A/C mode.
    Exactly, even my 12 Buick does that. I just manually select "floor" and the system still maintains the proper temperature.

• robin5robin5 Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2011 and have never bothered to use Auto. I set the temp and fan speed and adjust as necessary. If I set it at 75, I assume it stays there without the need for an auto setting. If the sun is out in winter, my upper body may be hot, so I use the foot setting to heat my feet. In summer, I need more upper A/C due to the solar heat. I have noticed that using recirculate causes a COLDER cabin temp in the winter when it seems it should be warmer without outside air. It's always done this, so I adjust if needed.
    My complaint is that the remote works from about 2-3 cars away. NO amount of dealer changes has fixed this. Toyota refunded my $500 remote start cost since it won't work. I called Toyota's main US office and they said the average distance is 'up to 75 feet, less if there is interference'. WHAT? The dealer said it would be as little as 25'. What's the use of a remote starter if I have to be standing beside the car and still not be able to start? Then when the door is opened, the engine stops. VERY disappointed in the remote distance. On my 3rd set of remotes and each set has been worse.
  • number4avalonnumber4avalon Member Posts: 13
    My 4th Avalon is a 2011 and it took me a few months to realize the height of the left, right outside rear view mirrors that also fold in are placed considerable higher than my 2004 and earlier style bodies. For me being short these higher position mirrors easliy block the view of a vehicle approaching from either the left or right The only thing to do is further evevate the seat to try to get the line of sight more above the mirrors. The fold in mirrors are not a plus as the mirror area is smaller and more difficult to see around that my '95, '98, '04 Avalons.
  • nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
    I'm not short, but I'm not tall either 5'10", There is a blind spot but I know it's there so I'm very careful about switching lanes. I have thought about buying a smaller mirror to fit in the corner of the bigger mirror. I'm curious if anyone out there has had this problem and bought a smaller mirror. I also have a 2011 Avalon, 23 thousand miles and counting. Love the car!

I seen a 2013 Avalon go down the road the other day. There seems to be a big difference in the size of the cars. For me, the 2013 simply does do it for me.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    You can set your outside mirrors to eliminate the blind spots. Visit cartalk.com to learn how. If you have a limited and need to adjust your mirrors to back up, they automatically move to the driving setting when you reenter the car or press the settings button.
    What I mean by a blocked view is a vehicle approaching from either the left or right at an intersection for example a small car or motorcycle at a certain point the view of it is hidden by the mirror itself being higher than the lower edge of the window. Happened twice I almost pulled out in front of an approaching vehicle particularly from the right to the left. Just must be VERY AWARE of that possibility.
    2011 Limited Avalon. Has anyone found instructions in the 2011 owners manual for do it yourself change of engine air filter. Looks like a few items need to be loosened to get filter out of compartment. Have not found any instructions. Always replaced my own engine air filters on '95,'98 and '04 Avalon owned. What am I missing in the manual?
  • fhimesfhimes Member Posts: 17
    I was recently stranded in my 2011 Avalon because the $5 battery in my Smart Key went dead. What a poor system design when the battery goes dead without any warning. A small red dot warning light indicating a weak battery should be included.
  • tkaztkaz Member Posts: 69
    Any reason you couldn't take the metal key out of the Smart Key to unlock the door and then hold the Smart Key right next to the Start button to start the car?
    The solution "tkaz" suggested was told to me by my dealer upon purchase. I have never needed to try it, but it is supposed to work. I have the battery changed once a year when I go in for servicing. They are inexpensive, usually a little over $3.00, so it's a small investment for peace of mind.
    edited April 2013
    When I first bought my 2011, I was told several times by the salesman, "if the batter goes dead in your FOB, you won't be able to get in your car".

Your the first person I heard of getting stranded. I hope this never happens to me, especially since I don't walk that good. I think, I'll buy an extra battery to get prepared. My wife usually goes with me most places though. It's very doubtful this will happen to both of us at the same time. ???

Thanks for sharing,
    You can open the door with the metal key in your key fob. There are instructions in your manual on how to start the car by holding the key fob over the start button. I printed them and keep them... rats, I forgot WHERE I keep them, but they're somewhere in the car so I don't have to search the manual or in case the manual isn't in the car.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    edited April 2013
    Should never happen. Car can be opened and started with the key fob and no battery present in the fob. Instructions on what to do "if the fob battery dies" are in the owner's manual and described above. This is true of many cars not just Avalons... :)
    edited April 2013
    Here's a tip, besides the other tips you already received. At least it worked for me with garage door openers and other battery operated things in the past. Take the battery out, then reinstall it. Usually there is still a little juice in the battery and by taking it out, well, it might be enough to start your car or open the door. I've tried this on countless battery operated things and always works. I'm guessing it would work on the fob. Hope this helps,
  • fhimesfhimes Member Posts: 17
    Because no one ever told me and I did not read every page in the owners manual.
    I have never read my owners manual either. I guess, I just like to figure things out. My salesman did mention the battery in the fob so many times that I never forgot that.

I might have to read it soon because I can't figure out how to add a number to the bluetooth or bluephone. Anyway the phone that comes through the radio. A little tricky. Usually I can figure most anything out.

I continue to be impressed with the ride and profomance of the 2011 Avalon. I've seen more TV ad's on this years Avalon than I have on the 2011, or the 2012's, so I assume sales are down.

They should have NEVER EVER went smaller on this type car. No way! I have 23 thousand miles and hanging on to it as long as I can. UNLESS someone wants to give me that 32 thousand I asked some time back. I'm so glad now I bought the extended warranty.
    I never read manuals unless I can't figure things out on my own. I only looked up the battery issue because my husband questioned what I would do if the battery died. I had to look up how to re-link my garage door opener since I've had LOTS of electrical problems. Toyota refunded my $500 remote start since my fobs work from, literally, two cars away. The more they work on it, the broker it gets.
    NOTE- Batteries can also have a brief revival if you rub the contacts with a pencil eraser. I never touch the terminals on any battery so I won't transfer hand oil to the battery.
    I had a buzzing/rattle in my center dash. When I mentioned it to service, they knew exactly what it was and padded something that rattled. A little over a year later, I'm out of warranty, and the noise is back.
  • _bill_wa_bill_wa Member Posts: 37
    edited April 2013
    I'm laughing at this post, cause it just happened to me. 4/13/2013.

I went out to dinner, car had started perfectly. Had dinner, went to start car......nothing!!!!!!!! Thank heavens for cell phones, called my Toyota dealer.......whew, service was still there, after 6 p.m..

Told them my problem, ..... His answer "hold FOB, ON THE START BUTTON, push button, with other hand.......IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!

Drove home.....took FOB apart, simple, called Walmart to see if they had the following number:

CR1632.....came in a 2 pak, $7.00+ tax, replaced.....everything is normal.

OH, for the person that made the comment on "It should have a RED LIGHT to warn you"....IT DOES!!!!!!
    edited April 2013
    Lets us all know what the rattle is, IF you find it. I hate any kind of rattles. of any kind. I have 24 thousand and still trucking along in my 2011 Avalon. All is good. Only problem I had was the steering column poping when I turned a certain way. NOW, that took some time for the dealer to find, but it was found and fixed under warranty. This happen some time back.
    Just turned 50,000 miles and everything is running fine. Have never reset the mpg average and it reads 27.6.
    I just turned 24 thousand and I'm still in love with the car. I reset my MPG everytime. I also write down every fill up, cost and mpg figures the car has and my mpg that I come up with on my caculator. There seems to be a little difference on long trips but not around town driving. I log everything.

I am curious, how are your tires? If you bought any and what kind of tire have you bought, or will you buy? I know different parts of the region people buy different kind of tires. I'm South, wayyyyyyyyy South, NOT Florida but almost.

Also, have you replaced any filters? I'm sure you've done that. Inside filter is mainly what I'm asking about. What part of the country do you live in? 27 MPG is excellent for a 36 hundred pound car and that's dry weight. I think you'll agree with that.

Thanks for sharing, gramz.
    Yes, I had to replace the tires and finally decided to go with the Michelin Primacy MXV4. I was really concerned about the ride and road noise and I've been really pleased with these. I really couldn't even tell I had changed them and it rode really good and quiet before. I had Michelins on before and the ride was the major consideration when I bought.

Yes, I replaced the cabin filter and it's a real simple task and the manual gives you good instruction.

I live in SD for 8 months and get a lot of road miles on the car. I spend 4 months in AZ and this is mostly city driving. I think 27 MPG is outstanding.

I also replace my own air filter as I've had some bad experiences with the dealer doing this.

I had it in my mind to trade this year but with the comments about a smaller interior I've decided to put at least another 50k on this one if everything stays running as it should.
    edited April 2013
    Thanks Gramz, This helps me a lot and as I plan to keep my Avalon for as long as I can. We're both retired. My wife has serious health problems so we mainly bought the car for the ride to AL which is about 500 miles one way.

At that time we made a lot of trips for treatments. We had a smaller car, a Mazda. This was a good car but the ride was rough and jerked us around a lot. I'm amazed both cars, the much smaller Mazda and the Avalon get pretty close to the same MPG.

Any updates you give will help us on your Avalon will be appreciated. I plan to change the cabin filter soon and the filter on the motor also. I won't do it but I have a friend who will. I know it's probably simple but I have a VERY bad back and it's hard to even bind.

Like you, because they made the car smaller on the inside I do not wish to upgrade to a 2013 model. Especially since other people note the 2913 ride is more ridged. I'm really glad now I bought the extended warranty (8 years or 100,00 miles) so this gives me peace of mind on the electronics playing out or any of the other expensive electronics in the car going bad.

Really I've had no problems except for a poping in the steering column which was fixed by the dealer. It did take time to find the problem. The poping was hard to dublicate.

I've owned a lot of cars, this year of Avalon is by far one of the best. I'm guessing the 2010 was much like the 2011. I know the 2011 model is just like the 2012. Like I stated earlier in my post, I just turned 24 thousand miles on my car and plan to keep it. Plus it's stored all the time in my garage. Again thanks for sharing and please continue to share anything that you feel we should know.
  • carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    My 2009 Avalon is w/o doubt the best car I have ever owned. It just broke 30K miles, is completely reliable and incredibly comfortable, especially on long road trips. On a recent 700 mile trip, all highway, I averaged 33.2 MPG. Amazing for a car this size.
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    Well, fellow 2011 Avy owners....took our vehicle in for a 40k service (out of warranty) and, after the dealer took a look, the wife drove a new 2013 Hybrid, fell in love with it and, after they offered us a nice trade, drove off in a new Hybrid Touring. So far, we love the car. Tighter ride than the 2011 and, believe it or not, quieter, too! Also, we were surprised at the amount of power available, too. First rides giving us almost 40 mpg (according to the computer). Thnx for all the info and exchanges on this forum! I learned a lot from all of you! See you in the 2013 forum!
    Well, at least keep us informed on your 2013. I'm always curious about the 2013, especially the hybrids.
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    I shall. We LOVED our 2011, so I'm curious to see how this hybrid does. Initial impressions are quite positive and we are hoping that the mileage claims are legit as we have a lot of driving ahead of us in the next few years. We have read a lot about the Fusion hybrid and drivers are disappointed in the mileage compared to what Ford has been claiming. This does not seem to be the case with the Avy Hybrid. We did get the Touring, so my wife is already wondering if she'll miss the cooled front seats; however, the Limited's they had all had the tech package and we liked the simpler center dash on the Touring (not to mention the thousands we saved on the price!). Driving at night, I did miss the photo-chromatic outside mirrors for a moment when one obnoxious car was tailgating us; however, things like the rain sensing wipers and the back window sunshade were basically unused on our 2011. The HID headlamps were also a nice feature on the Limited; however, the new 4-eye LED headlamps on the Touring work just fine. I'll pop in later to make a more detailed comparison when I can.
    Thank you in advance for any update on your 2013. It will be nice to have someone compare the drive. Someone who actually owned a 2011. I am curious, how many miles did you have your your 2011.

We actually thought about trading it, until we found out the car is smaller. I like a big car.

Usually Toyota cars do what they claim. I can't speak for the Ford's. I am VERY CURIOUS what your 2013 milage will be, so again keep us updated.

You know the MPG of the 2011, so it's not the best in the world but good for that big car.

Thanks, from Ga.
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I have an '05' limited that has 59,000 miles on it. It is a great car and have never had any problems with it. I just want a newer model. I wanted a 2013, but I test drove one and wasn't crazy about the interior, plus the limiteds are now out of reach for me pricewise! I found a 2011 at a dealership with 18,000 miles on it - black limited with ivory interior. Is $28,000 too much to pay? Did the 2011's have the acceleration issue or the steering column issue? I hate to trade a car that has never had any problems for one that I don't know about. It was a locally owned - one owner car. I am hoping the owner was just wanting the 2013 and that's why they traded it with only 18,000 miles. Any advice?
  • neil1neil1 Member Posts: 20
    I'm guessing 28 K is a bit much for a 2011 - especially since the '13's have been out for a while now. In August 2012 I paid around 29K for an '11 limited with 13,200 miles on it. Show room new with matching door protectors added by the previous owner. Very nice. By the way, for what it's worth, Motor Trend magazine is not a big fan of the 2013 Avi, ranking it number three of five behind a Chevy Impala and a full sized Kia - in the latest edition of the magazine. They wrote the Avalon was extremely efficient and generous in interior room and features, but let down by a bone-shaking ride and an uninspiring drive. OUCH!!
  • gringoviejogringoviejo Member Posts: 11
    My $0.02: The 2011 is only slightly preferable to the 2005 (nicer dash, cleaner lines viewed from the rear), but at 59,000 miles, your car is just barely broken in, and, yes $28,000 will make the salesman very happy and help the sales manager with his boat payment.

I'd hold on and look for another 2011 or 2012 to buy privately. There will be plenty of them in the next few years, plus, since you mentioned price, your car has the great virtue of being paid for.
    edited June 2013
    I feel like your haven't even broke in your old car in. I know people like NEW but I plan to drive my 2011 Avalon for a long time. Unless I got my price for it. I would want 30 thousand for my car, which is down from 32, I have the limited edition with all paper work and 24 thousand miles. PLUS, I have an addtional toyota warranty for 8 yr. 100 miles.

Honestly though, it's best to keep your car. I personally would not buy a new 2013 Avalon. I like large cars and the 2011/ 2012 are plenty big enough for me. Other than size and the ride not being as good I haven't heard anything negative about a 2013. The ride IS VERY important for me.

It's hard to say that 28 thousand is NOT a fair price. The price of cars always depends on the part of the country you live in. In this area, I think 28 would be a fair price although I personally have not price any older Alvalon's.

Plus I assume your car is paid for. I tell you, this means a lot. I agree with the fellow above me. Shop around IF you have to have one but it seems you have a lot more life in your old car.

Hope this helps,
    I wasn't planning on giving them the $28K. That's what their price was on the website. I want one with a backup camera and six speed transmission, traction control. My '05' is a limited, but back then they didn't have all this stuff standard. I also have to see if the seats are any better. If they have the same seat as mine, then I probably won't trade up. The cooling fan(I think) makes my seat feel hard on long trips. Kind of like sitting on a bowling ball.
    Thanks for your advice. According to True Car.com their price was just a little high - about $800 high. When I drove a 2013, the ride and handling seemed very good, but when I tried to adjust the seat, I had difficulty getting my hand down between the seat and the door to adjust it. My hands are that big, but it was not nearly as roomy as mine. My 6'5" son sat in one and said his hair brushed the top of the car.
    I can understand trading for safety features. A good reason for trading.

The back up camera is very nice and honestly, I think it should be standard on all cars. Another safety item.

I am told the seats are harder riding than the older Avalon's such as your 2005 but I learn this only by reading the post of other owners. Check back on this blog and perhaps you can find where someone posted notes about the comfort of the seats on the 2011 compared to the older models.

Again location is the best pricing guide. I haven't been in the car business for many many years. I assume they still use NADA books and like I said supply and demand has a lot to do with pricing. Also location. In this area, a 2011 Avalon would probably get sold pretty quick, if it was a clean car. At least I assume it would. Cars/trucks do sell higher here in this area.

Hope this helps,
    I am kind of waiting to see if a Cassis Pearl(Bergundy) becomes available. That is what color mine is and I love that color! Next car I get will probably be last car I ever buy, that's the main reason I wanted a newer year model and lower miles. Not that I am THAT old, but when I stop working, I won't have the money to make payments and too stingy to take the money out of savings. Might need it in case of emergency. lol
    You will enjoy the 2011. I love my 2012. BTW, the color you like is called Sizzling Crimson Mica, which is the burgundy.
  • stormin800stormin800 Member Posts: 39
    Int,

I traded my 06 Limited last year for a new 2011 Limited leftover. I traded for all the reasons you have stated. My 06 had 86,000 miles. I just retired, so I wanted my retirement car. Well, it has been a year now and I like everything about the 2011 EXCEPT the seats are NOT as comfortable as my broken in 06.
    It is nice to have no maintenance costs and everything is under warranty as the 06 was starting to need replacing and repairs. Even though I saved 6K off the 40K sticker of the 2011, I could have made a lot of repairs on the 06 for the 10K I have lost in depreciation. Unfortunately, I am already looking at other alternatives with more comfortable seats. I did NOT like the seats in the 2013 any better than my 2011,so I am considering leaving Toyota after 3 Avalons.
    Anyway, if you do go for a lower mileage 2011, you should be able to get a used one all day for 25-28K depending on mileage and condition. Otherwise, keep your 05 as 59,000 miles is still low mileage.

good luck
  • gringoviejogringoviejo Member Posts: 11
    FWIW, I sold my 2000 XLS last year with around 130,000 miles and bought a low-mileage (34,000) ES330 from an old lady who could no longer drive. In retrospect, I would have been better off with either a 2011 or 2012 Avalon or at least an ES350. There's nothing wrong with the ES330, but the 3.5 litre engine is a lot more powerful than the 3.3, and the newer transmissions are better too. I'm "only" 6'2" (I notice some on the list are a lot taller), but the ES seemed cramped even after the older Avalon. (A few things were better: leather quality, real wood vs. plastic, better stereo system, self-adusting headlights, more accurate gauges -- and did I mention handling?). So my housekeeper is getting a good deal on it. She can drive a Lexus, and my clients don't have to see me in one. ;-)
    I bought a RAV4 V6 Sport with under 7,000 miles. Definitely a step down in the luxury department, but it's comfortable and super-fast, plus I can fit some larger items in the back in spite of the right-hinged rear door.
    If I can convince my wife to give up her TSX, I'll still be in the market for a 2011 or 2012 Avalon, otherwise the next car will probably be an Accord hybrid.
    Good luck to all you retirees! I'm old enough to retire but plan to work less and less forever and buy many more cars before my time is up.
    I knew some of the viewers said the seats was as comfortable. Glad to see your post. Thanks!
    I went and looked at the 20011 black Avalon LTD. It only had 18,000 miles on it and was loaded. My only problem was the black dash. It had the beige interior, but the wood trim (plastic) was a reddish colored wood and the dash and top of the doors was black. I just didn't think I could take those combinations. He said all of them had black dashes. Is that true? Is it true of the 2012's also? To me it just didn't all go together. Plus they only wanted to give me 11K for mine, so I said "No, Thanks." and left when I finally got my keys back. I drove a 2013 Honda Accord. I liked it! Anyway, guess I'll just keep mine.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    I drove a 2013 Honda Accord. I liked it! Anyway, guess I'll just keep mine.

Long ago post indicated the new Honda Accord is about the same size as to interior volume and trunk space as the new 2013 Avalon... and it costs 30k with Nav, some 9k below the Limited. Not as sharp on the outside as an Avy, I agree. And the interior storage space is a little less. But if those are not critical, Honda is now a tough competitor for the Avalon.
  • tome1tome1 Member Posts: 10
    I recently parked my 2011 Avalon next to a 2013 Avalon and was surprised by the size change. I checked a 2013 out in showroom and it looks to me like there's a loss of trunk space and interior space. If your a first time Avalon owner, this wouldn't be as noticeable, however, if you have owned Avalons, as I have (2005 & 11), it's quite noticeable. Both of these areas, with respect to space, are important to me and are two of the primary reasons I started buying Avalons. Am not happy with changes in the 2013 Avalon!
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    One of several reasons I trade my 2013 in for a 2012.

- Trunk opening is smaller (I deliver a lot of the car & travel a lot / Luggage)
    - Back Seat Space
    - NO reclining Back Seats
    - Width of inside (if not smaller, sure seems like it is)

And some of these things make for a less comfortable ride

- Tech Package - Great!
    - Quieter Wipers - Great!
    - Over-all looks of the car - Great!

Skip
    Like someone once said "If I had wanted a Camry, I would have bought a
    Camry"

Your reasons are the main reasons I bought an Avalon to start with. I have 50K on it now and guess I'm stuck with it for a few years as I don't know what I could replace it with. I had planned on trading this year, but I don't want to give up the space.