Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip

steven1357steven1357 Member Posts: 69
edited July 2014 in Toyota
The Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip was recalled approx 4-09 because of a faulty clamp that would sometimes let the Tip fall off. Toyota was suppossed to redesign that clamp & replace it on all of the Tips.

I purchased the Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip with my 2010 Highlander Limited on 12-23-09 to be installed by the dealer.

They ordered the Tip, but it has not yet come in.
I continue to see those Tips already pre-installed on the 2010s, so I can only assume that the clamp has been redesigned for those Tips.

Does anyone have any idea why a Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip ordered 12-23-09 would not yet have come in? The Dealer's Parts & Service Dept can't seem to get an answer from Toyota.

Comments

• Options
    kharriskharris Member Posts: 41
    They were actually recalled earlier than that and my dealer found that the part number in his computer was no longer valid. Eventually, Toyota provided him with a new part number so he was able to order one for me. It was on back order and it did come in during May 2009. This was the redesigned model with a new part number and a new type of clamp. I don't know why your dealer would be having a problem ordering one now but you could try another dealer or a toyota dealer that sells part online.
  • Options
    I am afraid I will have to stick with that dealer since I paid for the Tip as part of my purchase price.

I will tell them however to try to get a different part number.

I have also sent an E-Mail today to Toyota about this & will await their reply.
  • Options
    beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    I ordered a new Limited the day after Christmas. They forgot to install the XM, mud flaps and exhaust tip, so I had to take it back a week later, but they put an exhaust tip on it.

Somebody has them, or I got an old one. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Where is your dealer located (City & State).

My problem seems to be that the dealer must get the tip from Gulf States Toyota & they won't sell them one unless it is to replace 1 under recall. They claim it will take another 6 months before they can start filling new orders.

If the recall was in 4-09, how can it take this long to replace all of the Tips under recall. Is no one having their recalled tip replaced?

And Gulf States Toyota is only servicing the Dealers in their distributorship.
  • Options
    kharriskharris Member Posts: 41
    Sorry you're still having a problem. I live in NY(Long Island) and the dealer is Huntington Toyota, located in Huntington NY. Being in a heavily populated area is occasionally an advantage-- there are 2 more Toyota dealers within 10-12 miles of me. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.