Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2002 Ford Explorer antifreeze getting in oil

mrhaney2mrhaney2 Member Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in Ford
i have a 2002 ford explorer 4.0 flex fuel engine and antifreeze is getting into the engine oil...engine runs smooth with no miss....i filled the reservoir and drained the oil 2 days later and straight antifreeze came out of pan before the oil came out. could it be just a intake manifold gasket causing this?...vehicle was in a accident before i bought it...like i said the engine runs smooth and doesnt overheat...if anyone has any input please email me at rgates61@sbcglobal.net

Comments

• makko1makko1 Member Posts: 3
    sounds like a blown head gasket
  • monya2010monya2010 Member Posts: 2
    Hey my name is Nikki I am 22yr old and I have the same problem with my truck..I have a 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 (V8) I also have straight antifreeze in my oil pan, i can't even get an oil change and my RPM is reading the dot below the 1. I dnt know what that means. My engine is shaking like a washing machine and i also have to keep putting antifreeze in my reservoir like every 2weeks........I need help can anyone help me out with this problem??????????????????? If i need and engine tell me where i can get one from and how much.....if its jus my head gasket tell me the info on that to....Thank u
  • problemsolvedproblemsolved Member Posts: 1
    After viewing your antifreeze/oil problem I decided to reply as follows: Oil and Water do not mix anywhere. Problem is why? well we all know that most indications occur in the sealing channels and conditions of the engine i.e. milage,maintenance,etc. Ford is one of the worst. Yet it can happen to any make and model. As per the washing machine, thats the typical indication of a blown head gasket. Your rpms will be abnormal and the oil dip stick should be a cream colored oil indicating that antifreeze has entered the crankcase via blown head gasket. Now as long as your engine is somewhat operative chances are it can be saved as long as the heads gaskets (blown) are replaced and the heads taken in to a machine shop for milling. Be aware that the heads if aluminum are completely recondotioned.
    Replacing only the gaskets is deadly if any aluminun or cast heads are not properly done at the machine shop. Now don't assume needing an engine until youcheck for engine compression of each cylinder and its minimums. again, check compression, re-condition the heads & replace the head gaskets. If all goes well your problem should be solved. Oh, by the way have some bucks saved all of this can burn a hole in your pocket.
This discussion has been closed.