Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette No Heat and overheats

buckweat54buckweat54 Member Posts: 2
I have a 2000 Silhouette that the heat went out on and it also started getting coolant in the oil. I figured it had a stuck thermostat and the head gasket was leaking. I went and bought a new Thermostat, Bars Leak Head Gasket repair, and some coolant. I removed the old thermostat and put the housing back on, then I completely flushed the engine, heater core, and radiator. I went through all the steps with the Bars Leak and could actually see it sealing all the leaks on the head gasket. Flushed the system again and put the new thermostat back in and filled the system with new coolant and proceeded to run the car and top off the coolant. Started the vehicle and at first I still had no heat, but about 20 minutes later it started working great. I drove the car for 2 days with no problems. On the third day the heat stopped working and the car started overheating. I can only drive it a couple of miles before it overheats. I haven't had a chance to get in and check the new thermostat, but is there anything else that could be causing this? And how do I fix it? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• joelasmithjoelasmith Member Posts: 1
    Having the same problem - had head gasket & new Thermostat. how do I fix it? Thanks in advance.
  • bnhcomputingbnhcomputing Member Posts: 1
    I have exactly the same problem. Did anybody ever determine the cause and get it working again?
  • buckweat54buckweat54 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry man, I never did find out what the problem was and ended up selling it. Good luck
  • ncostelloncostello Member Posts: 11
    Be sure it is serviced full with coolant. There are two bleeders on the engine that need to be opened during servicing. Also you could have installed a defective thermostat.
  • dvdeoffdvdeoff Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2016
    I have a 2000 Oldsmobile silhouette that overheats a lot after idling no heat at all. the most common problems are the headgaskets and heater cores failing due to a poor design but don't get me wrong they are excellent haulers if you have children. lots of room and space and excellent comfort and handling. hope this helps you with your problems. if you need to contact me heres my email. [Email removed]