Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Warranty

newguy53newguy53 Member Posts: 16
edited April 2010 in Hyundai
Hello,

I am looking to buy a new car for 2010- as my lease will be up shortly. I a m trying to decide between the Tucson Limited, Sante Fe Limited (I-4 or V-6), Subaru Forester 2.5 X limited and Mitsubishi Outlander XLS- all AWD. I love the Hyundai features and interiors. The reliability is said to be quite good too.
However I have read numerous horror stories about the Hyundai warranty- dealers trying to get out of the 10 year powertrain warranty by claiming genuine Hyundai parts weren't used for things like oil changes unless all service was done at the dealer.
Also- the fact that the warranty is only valid at the dealer fro m which the car was purchased is another issue-is that only for the 10 year powertrain or for the 5 year limited as well?

Would love to get feed back from Hyundai owners on their experiences with the brand specifically about the warranty.

Comments

• jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    First of all, any brand can have both good and bad dealers. In my area, Hyundai dealer is excellent. Others are snake oil salesmen.

Warranty: Any Hyundai dealer is required to honor the factory warranty. The only issues I have heard of regarding OEM parts in maintenance is the transmission fluid for the automatics. But considering the only requirement is to change the fluid every 30K, the extra 10-15 bucks for the oil is no big deal when looking at a 10 year 100K warranty.
    Personally, I have looked at the way the Hyundai filter is made and compared it to AC Delco, Fram, Wix. The Hyundai is a very good filter. Definitely better made than the Delco and Fram, and only the Wix premium filter is comparable. Check your dealer online website for oil change coupons. This goes for all car brands.

I have owned several Hyundai's as well as several other brands over the years. Hyundai has been the most trouble free vehicle I have owned.

Good luck, and enjoy your car search!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Here's a direct link to the Hyundai warranty info

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/warranty.aspx

Any Hyundai dealer is required to honor the warranty terms, not just the selling dealer. Also, it is not "required" that you use Hyundai parts exclusively. Federal law allows you to have work done at the dealer or garage of your choice. Some things to do however are make sure any and all parts you might use (oil and air filters, etc) meet or exceed Hyundai specs and keep a record of repairs/maintenance done to your vehicle along with all your receipts.

I have owned 4 Hyundais over the last 10 years and only one was purchased from the local dealer (their pricing is lousy) but they are more than glad to have me stop in for any work, warranty or otherwise. And they have always treated me well and with respect. The real key is finding a good dealer like that and you will have a great ownership experience, regardless of the make. Enjoy. ;)
  • lunastar27lunastar27 Member Posts: 3
    Please don't buy a Hyundai, same yourself a nightmare, I bought a 2005 Hyundai Tucson, and at first I was thrilled because this was my first new car for myself, I worked long and hard to be able to afford a reliable car and I chose the Hyundai Tucson, well after having the car since 2006 which is when I purchased the pre-owed SUV from Herb Chambers Dealership I'm starting to have my doubts because now I have a severe drainage problem which is cause by the radio, apparently the radio is a piece of poop, and I'm now on my 3rd battery, and I thought to remove the radio fuse and I'm praying this stops the drainage, now this also another problem with buying a car at Herb Chamber's, if the car isn't a Honda you will get the worst service because the repair service people are programmed to the following question/answer "Is this a honda car, if not then we don't service your car unless it's a Honda, I went several rounds with them, always leaving stressed out, never satistfied with their service, and I have an outstanding warranty the covers my car 10 years or 100,000.00 miles, but when I need service like this electrical drainage, I get pushed aside or I'm told it's not covered, so save yourself the migraine of purchasing a Hyundai from Herb Chambers, if I knew what I know now I would have ran somewhere else and got my SUV, now I'm screwed!
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    edited October 2010
    Just read in my local paper yesterday that all Hyundai's are good or excellent in reliability according to Consumer Reports. I do have to warn you that if you live in a suburban area which means there will be a lot of short trips and idling of the engine and/or live where road salt is used that is considered Severe Driving conditions. This means you must change things like the oil every 3750 miles in order for your warranty to be honored. I bought a 2011 Kia Sorento and was informed of that and I read the service requirements in my owners manual which confirms that. It is the same exact thing for Hyundai.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • soey2237soey2237 Member Posts: 1
    Well before you start knocking on the hyundai warranty, please be advised you DO NOT HAVE a 100k powertrain coverage. you purchased preowned from a honda dealership. that warranty does not transfer to you. take your suv to a certifed dealer of manufacture.
  • vanessany22vanessany22 Member Posts: 1
    1ST OWNER :
    5Y-60K MILES(BASIC WARRANTY)AND 10Y-100K MILES POWERTRAIN.
    2ND OWNER:
    5Y-60K MILES(BASIC WARRANTY) AND 5Y-60K MILES POWERTRAIN.
    ILL ADVISED PEOPLE TO BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY TO EXTEND THOSE 5 YEARS TO 10Y..
    DEALER WOULD SELL YOU DIFFERENT OUTSIDE WARRANTIES BUT THEY SUCH...THE BEST ONE IS THE EXTENDED WARRANTY FOR HYUNDAI CALL HPP.....DONT BUY ANYTHING ELSE BUT THAT ONE OTHERWISE U GOING TO BE SCREW BECAUSE THOSE OUTSIDE WARRANTIES DONT COVER A LOT OF IMPORTANT THINGS.
    PEOPLE NEED TO READ THEIR PAPERS SO THEY DONT COMPLAIN LATER.SMH.HOW UR NOT GOING TO READ A CONTRACT WHERE U PAYING THOUSANDS...
    HYUNDAI HAS THE BEST WARRANTY.......I WORK IN A CAR DEALER AND SOME CUSTOMERS HAVE THE NERVE TO GET UPSET WHEN SOMETHING IS NOT COVER....ITS THEIR OWN FAULT FOR BEING CHEAP AND NOT DOING THE MAINTANANCE NEEDED.....SO WHY PEOPLE IS GOING TO BLAME HYUNDAI FOR YOUR BROKE WALLET.....USE A BICYCLE IF U CANT AFFORD TO KEEP A CAR.....AND ANOTHER THING....PEOPLE FROM"SERVICE" DO NOT CARE ABOUT UR DEAL WITH SALES DEPARTMENT......IF U IN A HONDA DEALER,THEN THEY JUST CARE ABOUT HONDA CARS AND NOTHING ELSE EVEN IF U BUY IT FROM THEM....WHY? THERE IS NOT MONEY FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE FOR THEM IF U DONT OWN A CAR OF THE BRAND THE DEALERSHIP U BUYING IT FOR....JUST ACCEPT IT PEOPLE!!!! SO PLEASE PEOPLE IF U WANT A HYUNDAI GO TO A HYUNDAI DEALER!!!!!!!!!!!! IF U WANT A NISSAN GO TO THE DAMN NISSAN DEALER..... AND REMEMBER U ARE BUYING A """USED CAR""" AS LONG ITS SAFE TO DRIVE THEY GOING TO SELL IT TO U AND DONT CARE ABOUT.... BUY AND EXTENDED WARRANTY IF U DEALING WITH HYUNDAI....BUT ONLY AN """HPP"""WARRANTY........THE OTHER ONES THEY WILL SELL U SUCK [non-permissible content removed]. AND THAT IS THE TRUE.....ONE MORE THING (((EVERYTHING IN WRITTING))))IF U DONT HAVE A PEPER TO SHOW THEY GOING TO DENIED EVER SAYING IT
  • aj58aj58 Member Posts: 1
    I strongly urge anyone thinking of buying a Hyundai to re-consider. I have owned three in the last 3 years recently my 07'sonata spun a crank bearing. (major engine failure) car had 83k. dealer trying to do every thing in their power to dishonor warranty. holding me to the letter of the law as far as a complete maintenance log w/ dealer receipts. i have not been able to give them all they demand. They have denied me a motor. I tried to speak to corporate and plead my case. they will have none of it. DONT BUY A HYUNDAI. just bought an 2013 chevy malibu drives so much nicer then that sonata and i'm not just saying that. Hyundai has made an enemy in me.. by the way at 60 years old i have never had an engine let go on me. Never. I have ran chevy astro vans up over 300k on the original motor and tranny just doing the same type of maintenance i did on the sonata.
  • superottersuperotter Member Posts: 1

just thought I'd chime in here for anyone doing a search - I just had a 2007 Sonata spin a bearing with 88,000 miles on it. Brought it to the dealership and they honored the powertrain warranty without asking for maintenance records. I had oil changed twice a year, about once every 4,000 miles. I was really worried they were going to give me a hard time about it (first garage said it would be about $5,000 to replace with a used engine with labor costs factored in), but was happy they honored it. So not all horror stories out there.

• mrimpulsivemrimpulsive Member Posts: 2

@aj58 said:
    I strongly urge anyone thinking of buying a Hyundai to re-consider. I have owned three in the last 3 years recently my 07'sonata spun a crank bearing. (major engine failure) car had 83k. dealer trying to do every thing in their power to dishonor warranty. holding me to the letter of the law as far as a complete maintenance log w/ dealer receipts. i have not been able to give them all they demand. They have denied me a motor. I tried to speak to corporate and plead my case. they will have none of it. DONT BUY A HYUNDAI. just bought an 2013 chevy malibu drives so much nicer then that sonata and i'm not just saying that. Hyundai has made an enemy in me.. by the way at 60 years old i have never had an engine let go on me. Never. I have ran chevy astro vans up over 300k on the original motor and tranny just doing the same type of maintenance i did on the sonata.

• mrimpulsivemrimpulsive Member Posts: 2

I have a friend going thru this right now. My personal assistant. They( her and her husband) are going to have to pay 9200 for a motor , spun bearing on a car with 61k miles. Car they purchased new. Why,..Because they missed on oil change by 801 miles.

I have a Kia and am looking to off it ! I have been bragging about my car. Now, I fear putting any more miles on it.

I just want out. I noticed every time someone says anything negative someone else comes along and dismisses the story . Seems suspicious to me!

I am guessing they are paying people as this cost less to minimize ( damage control for Hyundai ) that to repair the cars for there respective damage. Yes by hiring people to write counter articles about there real live posted horror stories.

I would like someone to see someone organize a class action for warranty abating!