Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX vs. Infiniti G25

thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
edited August 2014 in Acura
With the new, lower-powered Infiniti G25 entering the market, it looks like it may line up nicely with the Acura TSX 4-cylinder. Discuss here!

Comments

• djnephdjneph Member Posts: 16
    I am waiting for the G25 to come out before I make my purchase. I prefer the G sedan, but like the mpg of the TSX. I am hoping the G25 will give me the bestof both worlds. However, on the G37 prices paid forum a dealer mentioned some things about the G25 that if true may be a little dissapointing.

G25 will not be available with Bose Studio On Wheels, Navigation, and manual transmission.

At little dissapointed because the TSX and IS250 offer all three - upgraded sound system, navi, and manual transmission. We will have to wait and see in the next month or so when infinitio releases information.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Do we have some raw power / mpg numbers we can compare for these?
  • djnephdjneph Member Posts: 16
    nothing on mpg yet and as far as power estimates are 210-230hp and 198 lb ft tourque.

I perfer the g37, but the mpg is what keeps me from buying it. I keep going back and forth between g37 and tsx. I can't wait until we have more info on the g25... hurry up Infiniti!
    Is there a drastic difference in MPG from TSX V6 to G37 V6?
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Depends on what you call drastic and whether you consider EPA or real world numbers.
    I stick with EPA since it is the only controlled testing; real-world numbers are inquantifiable. One person's gentle-driving may be another person's hot-rodding, so getting an accurate comparison is practically impossible.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Not a lot. However, in many areas of the country(snowbelt mostly) a lot of people want AWD as the G37 is a rear wheel drive car. The TSX is front wheel drive and AWD isn't even offered. So if you compare the AWD G37 to the V6 TSX there is a pretty good penalty with the G.

As far as the G25 vs TSX 4cyl goes, I think they will come in pretty close to each other but with the G25 you get a V6 and more hp/torque down low than with the screaming 4cyl of the TSX. The TSX with the 4cyl is pretty nimble but since they have went to EPS a lot of people think the steering is kind of numb. Should be a problem with the G25 as it's the exact same setup as the G37....just less oomph.

The prices have come out on the G25 and they are not pretty IMO. For the G25x(AWD) it is close to $35k and that's without a $1k sunroof. G37x's are going for that street price with a sunroof. The G25 will probably be discounted some but I think they way too close in price.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    No manual transmission-will not even consider it.
    You're a very small minority, but more power to you (and your left leg in traffic). :shades:
    The majority of vehicles my husband and I have owned were with manual transmission. The last automatic was a 03 sonata. We recently traded our 05 elantra GT 5MT with 100,000+miles for a '11 sonata 6MT. Our mitsubishi raider truck with 6MT (bought new 11/07) has 23,000 miles and our tsx with 6MT (bought new 11/06)has 113,000+ miles. We love driving manual transmission vehicles, as you probably can tell and do not care that we are in the minority.
    Additional info: since 1980 my husband and I owned 2 cars with automatic-85 Volvo Turbo-diesel and the 03 Sonata. We owned 14 with manual.
  • billpaulbillpaul Member Posts: 103
    edited September 2010
    Agree about the MT's. Family currently owns 2 Honda Accord sedans, one G37 sedan, all MT's. My wife refuses to consider automatics, daughters are all up to speed on shifting MT's.

Automatic drivers, please don't be offended, but we consider driving with automatics to be the couch potato approach to driving. Sorry, but that's how we feel about it.

:)
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    No problem. Do you use rotary phones and dial up modems, too?
    edited September 2010
    Nope. No modems, no rotary phones.

Just high-speed cable modems, Blue Tooth, Blue Ray, iPhone, Mac OS X 10.6.4, G37S MT6, etc. State of the art.
    :)
    Good to see you're not for being a luddite in all aspects of life.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Just because an option is newer or easier to use, that doesn't automatically make it better.

To me, auto transmission is like the use of spellcheck or grammar check on a computer. It certainly is easier than learning how to spell or to use the English language properly, but it isn't always right, nor does it require any thought.

In some countries, you're not even allowed to DRIVE a manual shift car unless you take the driving test in a manual - it's a privilege for those who have the ability to do it correctly.

Two of our three vehicles are autos, and I drive an automatic for convenience, but I've had a lot of manuals and certainly understand why someone would prefer the driving experience in a manual.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited September 2010
    Thank you from a fellow luddite. :D
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,495
    edited September 2010
    Nicely put.

My favorite analogy has to do with sailboats vs. power boats as compared to manual vs. automatic transmissions. The sailors usually understand seamanship, knots, navigation and how to actually dock a boat in the wind without causing damage or embarrassment -- the stinkpotters, not so much.

While power boats (including the beloved personal watercraft) vastly outnumber sailboats, the sailboats still exist and are preferred by a minority.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I learned to drive on a manual, as the majority of the cars my father ever owned were.

However, a couple of years in a major city with rush hour traffic quickly abused me of the notion of how "fun" manuals are. I'd imagine it's a much different deal living in the sticks or if it were a true sports car.

Regardless, buying the manual version of a family sedan just seems like trying too hard to be different.

Copping an attitude about how cool you are to own one and how everyone else is a lazy poophead that doesn't is just wacky.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    The Volvo turbo diesel was a rare car. Volvo sourced that engine from Volkwagen. Anyway, just curious; how was that car (besides slow), and how long did it last?
    compared to the regular diesel vehicles we owned it was fast. When drivers were tailgating when we were driving our 80 MT volvo diesel we would just downshift and give them a black cloud. We bought the 85 Volvo turbo-diesel around Oct/Nov 85. It had about 30,000 miles when it was totaled in Oct. 87. My husband was driving home from work on route 80 in the rain. Another driver cut him off causing him to hydroplane. He said he felt like the test-car dummy. No injuries but a totaled volvo. He was able to drive it home.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    I just got back to reading this board. Thanks for your response. I'm sorry your Volvo got totaled, but more importantly your husband wasn't injured.
    It seems that when anyone says they like to drive a manual they have undeniable urge to automatically add that one, they are special or two, anyone preferring an automotic is lazy. Why can't you just say I like driving a stick and leave it at that? It's not that special to be able to drive one and I don't feel that driving a stick inherently brings you closer to the soul of the family 4dr sedan then someone driving an automatic. It's just a preference as they both get about the same mpg now and in some cases autos get better. In fact, some people driving sticks probabably get worse mpg because they really don't know what they are doing. Just as I'm sure some sailboat captains really don't know what they're doing either.

Can't we all just state our preference without having to put somebody else down at the same time?

By the way, I've had about 10 manual cars in my life and like them fine but a manual tranny just doesn't fit where I live and who I'm married to.
    I had no intention of putting anyone down. Drive what you like. I was giving the main reason why I did not want a Infiniti G25. If I were living in a area like NYC or Washington DC then I probably would prefer automatic but I do not so manual transmission for me and my husband.
    I had no intention of putting anyone down. Drive what you like.

Wasn't referring to your post, don't know why you felt you had to respond. But I do appreciate you giving me permission to drive what I like. Thanks.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Don't get me wrong, I like the TSX and G25 but I do think it was a mistake on Infiniti's part for not offering a manual and the nav system with the G25. That product competes with the TSX and IS right now which do offer those things. I am a little bit disappointed with the mpg of the G25 as well and the msrp of the thing.

All in all, I think the TSX I4 is the better buy (bang for your buck) between just the two.
    I agree: the smaller engine in the G25 would perform vary well with a 6MT. If the MT had a tall 6th overdrive gear, it would be a great combination of fuel efficiency and acceleration. But, it is not available. Nevertheless, I am very happy with my G37S 6MT sedan.
  • rmittalrmittal Member Posts: 3
    i have a very hard time believing the infiniti g25 will be able to match up to the tsx...especially in gas mileage...we all know how infiniti is known for its crappy gas mileage
    20/29 is the EPA rating for the G25. Weak considering my 5-speed auto Sonata with 249 horses has a 19/29 rating (and matches it, beats it on the highway; I average 25-26mpg)
This discussion has been closed.