Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Keys and Remotes

cyberleicyberlei Member Posts: 1
edited November 2017 in Toyota
Hello all,

I am new in here, I have a 2004 Highlander limited and the keyless entry remote suddenly is not working tonight, I tried to replaced new battery, but still no any response when push lock and unlock buttons. What could be the problem?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cyberlei

Comments

• jcadenajcadena Member Posts: 1
    my '07 Highlander is doing the same thing only i can't even drive it!
    the alarm has gone off 2 or 3 times and i just have to wait for it to stop...
    Is it the battery in the remote? we are searching for a new battery...hard to find around here.
    Help...need my car back!
  • bnstoddbnstodd Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Highlander with the Smart Key System, keyless entry, with the push start button, and even if my batteries die in my remotes, I can still start my car, and unlock it.I know it has been along time sense you posted, I just wanted to let you know that. Thank you and have a good day.
  • odehodeh Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I am new here,i am having problems using the keys to open the doors without the remote.
    As it stands now if the battery in the remote runs down and the car is locked i cant use the key to open the doors,its that how it is supposed to be?
    please need answers urgently!

Cheers,

odeh
  • bnstoddbnstodd Member Posts: 2
    No, when the battery is dead in the remote, you are always suppose to be able to open the door with the key. I was told if u can't you will need to call the dealer.

Thanks
    Shelly
  • jmcgaheyjmcgahey Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2012 Highlander LTD AWD NAV with floor mats, remote start, VIP glass break, white color (extra), cross bars and tow----------for INVOICE- 39,045.00---------amazing deal! But now the dealer tells me they cannot put remote start on the vehicle, it is listed as an accessory rather than an option--I really want remote start-------anyone have any answers?
  • clamstripsclamstrips Member Posts: 1
    Alarm system sounds off with horn and flashing lights w/o any reason. Not fun when it's a.m. in the motel parking lot. Talked to the dealer and this can be corrected with a new hood latch at $82.90, no thanks.

The biggest problem is the horn. You can unplug the dual horns by delicately pulling the connections out just behind the grille but you lose your horn. You'll still have the flashing lights though. Or, you can disable the alarm system completely by pulling the electrical connection from the hood latch alert switch which in the '08 is centered directly behind the grille. If you choose the latter you can re-connect the horns and, sleep at night.
  • tlctxtxtlctxtx Member Posts: 2
    My 2008 Highlander Hybrid Limited started something new yesterday. Intermittently when I try to unlock by grabbing the door handle it will beep 10 times (5 double beeps) and the three non-driver doors unlock and the driver door will only open electronically by opening the front passenger door and pressing the unlock button on the door handle. The driver door will not unlock by pressing the key fob unlock button. Any ideas? It's happened twice.
  • vermasvermas Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Remote installed and 3-4 times a day/night the alarm goes off with horn/lights. Took it back to the place of installation of remote and they cannot find a problem. Any other things we should check before taking back to dealership?

*2008 Limited
  • ldcat1935ldcat1935 Member Posts: 1
    Check the back glass and the electrical connection there.
  • sc241101sc241101 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a brand new 2013 Toyota highlander se. The salesperson handed me two keys at the time of delivery. One key is black and the other is gray. Back home, after I read the owner's manual, I found the gray one is a valet key, which means one of my master key is still in the dealer. On the second day, I back to dealer and asked for the master key. I was told they lost the key and they can copy a new one for me. They said it is normal situation. Now, I am so worried about my car security. What should I do next? Thanks for all inputs.
  • fotoguy4ufotoguy4u Member Posts: 3
    A crackhead got a title loan on his 2005 Highlander. They were going to confiscate it today, so I offered him an extra $200 to let me pay the loan and get the car, rather than just letting them take it. He did that. So I got the car for $3,000! When he gave me the key, there was only one, but I know for a fact he had two. Is there a way to reset the alarm so his key will not work on the alarm but mine will? Thanks!
  • monchie82monchie82 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I own a 2015 LE and when I replaced my batteries from my non smart key system, it wouldn’t work. Nothing locks or unlocks. The batteries are fine but I think I may need to reprogram them. Any ideas on how I can do this myself? 
  • Susan_26Susan_26 Member Posts: 1
    After so many unsuccessful attempts to have my Toyota Highlander keyless entry remote work again, I happen to chance on the reason why it wasn’t working when I opened the case and fidgeted a lot with it. I found out it was because the battery did not fit tight enough in the case. I placed a little button ontop of the battery to give it a firm hold in the case when closed, and I had my remote working happily again.