Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

HYBRID Lincoln MKZ

wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
The 2011 Hybrid MKZ has has arrived. The hybrid Milan is gone for 2011. The 2010 hybrid Fusion is receiving customer ratings in top percentile. The 2010 V6 MKZ has gotten customer ratings also.

It has been the opinion of many persons that we should not buy an introductory first year model because of...basically engineering oversights.

But what if that first year model is based on two other sedans which have been very successful and the technology has been proven for many years?
(ie. Ford Escape Hybrid and Mercury Mariner Hybrids)

Does Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, which uses low octane regular gasoline, stand any chance of 'making it' in today's hybrid market?

Comments

• Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    My initial thoughts are conflicting.

First, it's a FABULOUS idea to have the gasoline and hybrid versions selling for the same price. Never been done before, so the result will be interesting to see.

Second, that car appeals to an "older" demographic, people who are less likely to embrace "newfangled" hybrid technology.

So it's going to be interesting to see what happens.
  • Options
    doctored5doctored5 Member Posts: 11
    I bought the MKZ hybrid in November and have been totally pleased with it.

First, you shouldn't be concerned that this is the "first year" for the car. It's really the same car as the Ford Fusion hybrid-- made in the same plant and same engine and power system. The Fusion has been very reliable so the MKZ version should be too. The differences are mostly in the features like power seats and radio and electronics. The MKZ is very quiet, so it may have more soundproofing. I think the ride & handling may be tweaked with software to be a little different too.

For me it was a no-brainer to go for the hybrid. It will save me $1000 a year in fuel. I now have to fill up only every other week instead of every week. I was willing to give up some horsepower for that. :)
  • Options
    jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    It's one thing to have the hybrid and non-hybrid version priced the same, but it's another for them to sell at the same price. I see non-hybrids MKZ's advertized all the time at thousands off MSRP, but the not the hybrid. Ford/Lincoln knew the net selling price would be much higher for the hybrid.
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    HHHMMMM...That's a shame. I thought it sounded too good to be true.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Consumer perception must be in play here as well. Those who are inclined to buy a hybrid might be thinking that the hybrid is worth paying extra for... and if someone is willing to pay more, you can bet they ARE going to pay more
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Well, sure... but I think it's a bit misleading for Lincoln to come out with an announcement that pricing will be the same for traditional and hybrid versions, then offer several thousands of dollars in incentive offers for the MKZ, excluding the hybrid. In my area, they've effectively knocked $3K off the non-hybrid version via incentives & rebates... for a full 4 months.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    :P OK.. supply and demand then. I'd wager that there are far more non-hybrids than hybrids available, hence, they need to put those "on sale" to move them.
  • Options
    dmers1dmers1 Member Posts: 8
    Dear Sir:
    How does your Lincoln MKZ Hybrid handle on the Interstate at 75 MPH and going thru the mountains?

Is the power adequate and/or mileage sink?

Thank you.
    dmers
  • Options
    doctored5doctored5 Member Posts: 11
    I haven't checked this post in a long time.
    The MKZ hybrid handles very well at speeds. It's reasonably peppy at getting you up to speed. I usually don't cruise much beyond 70 mph, but it can certainly handle 75.
    You will pay for it in mileage though. Your mpg will probably drop to the low 30s at that speed.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If the percentage you travel on the Interstate at a relatively constant cruise speed, <60 MPH, is substantially greater than city stop and go use then you will be very, maybe extremely, disappointed in a hybrid's FE.

With no opportunity to regeneratively recharge the hybrid battery the ICE must handle the full load.

"..thru the mountains..."

On a highly tractive roadbed your FWD or F/awd MKZ will be fine.

But...

There often be bears (snow, ice) in those woods (mountain passes).

FWD and/or F/awd vehicles are notorious for their lack of safe driving capability on a slippery curving roadbed. TRACTION control is a MUST..!!
  • Options
    WWest,

Thanks for the info on the MKZ. I am just looking ahead for our next car. We currently have a 2008 Mercury Sable with 260 HP V-6 and 88,000 miles on it. We drive about 20,000+ miles per year and 65% highway miles at about 70+ mph most of the time in So. Illinois and trips. (We get 23-24 MPG average on most trips with 3-4 people in the car and 21 in town going to work and short trips using ethanol gas)

In a couple of years we may trade to a Lincoln MKS if they can get a few more MPG out it.

I see where BMW is copying the Ford Ecoboost on 4 cylinder engines in their 5 series, but Ford doesn't think Lincoln needs this tech except for the V6.

Also, when will the EPA test cars using Ethanol for the MPG ratings? Everybody looses about 2-3 MPG. If we are forced to use this low quality gas, then give us the real results. This ads $.60-.80 per gallon of fuel.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The lincoln name doesn't easily imply....I4.
  • Options
    I agree that an I4 sounds puny, but when $5.00 gas gets here, they may want an I4 Ecoboost ready to go, like BMW is doing with the 5 series. They need to break the 30 mpg barrier with ample power. The MKS gets about the same mileage as the V6 MKZ and has way more room.

The upcoming Ford Taurus will have the I4 Ecoboost. I will have to wait and see how this performs.

Ford has had good luck with it in it's F-150 trucks.

Everybody wants all the goodies, good mileage and the looks of a BMW coming up your tail.