Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 BMW X3

prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
The upcoming 2011 BMW X3 has been revised from the ground up and represents a substantially improved and refined vehicle. Not only have the power and handling been improved but the level of quality of the cabin and driving experience are reported to be greatly improved. Not the least of the many improvements in the vehicle is the fuel economy which is said to be the best in its class.

It should make a worthy competitor to the best small SUVs on the market.
Tagged:

Comments

• lmariorodlmariorod Member Posts: 21
    Yes indeed. It needed to be improved. It lagged behind the Q5 in most every category and was losing sales to the XC-60,GLK and LX-350(the sales leader).
    It's been a poor value for many years because of missing competition. Now the Q5, XC-60 and GLK have forced BMW to step up their game with the X3.

BMW, in an unprecedented move, dropped the price $2100 on a re-designed successful and popular model. When has any car manufacturer EVER dropped their prices substantially on an improved re-designed popular model?

Competition has made the X3 a better value if nothing else.
  • njbmwpanjbmwpa Member Posts: 5
    Hi there... I got a lease quote from my local dealer - and here is what they quoted me:

Car built:

2011 BMW X3 with Metallic paint
    -Cargo Net
    -Heated Steering Wheel
    -Heated Front Seats
    -Navigation
    -Panoramic Roof
    -Power Tailgate
    -Smartphone integration
    -Xenon Headlights

36 months
    $2542.39 due at signing ($750 is a security deposit which will be returned)
    10,000 miles per year
    $738.44 with tax included...payment

FYI tax is 10% where I live...

Is this a bad deal? It seems somewhat high considering you can get an X5 for maybe $120 more a month and that is a whole heck of a lot more car...

Any opinions/advice/etc.. would be appreciated!

Thank you! :confuse:
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Any time a brand new vehicle comes to market, particularly a high profile brand such as BMW, the enterprising salesman is going to try to extract top dollar from the buyer.
  • lmariorodlmariorod Member Posts: 21
    Ouch! That's up there. Same ole BMW, even though lower base price on the 2011, they'll "GOTCHA" with the ala carte options.

Wait a couple of months for a better lease deal. The residuals are better on this re-design.

That size payment should go hand in hand with 0 down and 0 security, similar to the 3 series.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check in the BMW X3 Lease Questions discussion too.
  • njbmwpanjbmwpa Member Posts: 5
    I figured it was a bit high - more so since my quotes on the X5 were not much higher & taking into account the lower base price... based on my calculations - I am looking at paying roughly 54.8% of the truck - meaning the residual value is in the toilet... I think the salesman either needs to tell his finance group to sharpen their pencils... or check out another dealer... I am in no rush to get into a vehicle, yet, but am trying to get a ball park... I am waiting on a response to what residual value it is that BMW is using since it was just released to the dealers.
  • twistedmetaltwistedmetal Member Posts: 15
    That's not necessarily a bad deal as you can't really compare it to a X5. It's a different vehicle that's come out 4 years (newer), hence the bank will set the residual and rate differently. You haven't even noted if it's a 2.8i or 3.5i. Even a 2.8i as you noted is a 43k car. That's really not a bad payment. Just keep in mind that as cars are out longer and incentives come along; that incentive isn't for any other reason than to subsidize the depreciation of that car over time. You just might want to wait until the car actually gets to the dealerships and let the residual and rate settle out; likely Jan or Feb.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    edited November 2010
    There is going to be a major price war in this segment.

Audi is offering the 2011 Q5 with a smaller 2.0 efficient engine. The starting price is now very attractive: $33,000 for the 2011 model.

I would wait a few months. Let Audi, BMW and Acura fight for your business!
    A good friend of mine got me into SC to drive the new X3 on the performance course and wow! The Audi is not a competitor at any price. While the BMW reached 60 mph at a point in the course, the Audi 2.0T or the 3.2 could not exceed 50mph! And several of us were able to make the Audi actually shut down while making an evasive maneuver - actually shut down! The Mercedes has come a long way and did handle very well, but we were advised not to take it in deep water, while we drove the BMW through water over the bumpers! I personally just didn't like the Mercedes interior. BMW, you've done it again! Two thumbs up!
    edited November 2010
    In your post, it is unclear which Mercedes model you are referring to?

Also, what do you mean by "..make the Audi actually shut down......"

What did you shut down..... the engine or your ability to drive coherently?
    The Mercedes GLK which is the segment competitor to the X3.
    Shut down means game over, system override. When pushing it through a slalom at max speeds, slamming on the brakes and skidding it to the right the engine shut off, steering locked up. It happened to a few of us. I've not encountered that before.. btw, no need to imply anything with the term coherently. That's petty and unnecessary as we're all enthusiasts here.
    Sorry - no malice or offense was intended.

It is hard to believe that the Audi developed "system override". Audi's are on par with Mercedes vis-a-vis Engineering. They are the best. BMW is second.
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    what's the mpg for the 240hp engine?
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    Now that the X3 is at the dealers, has anyone had any experience driving one? Or reading about a test drive? I am scheduled to test it March 8th.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2011
    Here's ours from last month:
    2011 BMW X3 xDrive35i Full Test

There's more articles and news at this link, but the above is the most recent editorial content here.

It would be fun to read some comments from real people who've driven one.
  • kdoolinkdoolin Member Posts: 5
    I'm new to BMW coming from an Acura RDX. Liked the new looks at the auto show and test drove one a few weeks ago. First, the vehicle is fun to "work out" in an icy parking lot with lots of room. It holds the road and is stable while being put through its paces. I took it for a long test drive on urban roads through lots of traffic and on the interstate. While it has a little hesitation at take off, the Audi Q5's was much more pronounced. I also drove the Volvo xc60 turbo and while it may have felt a bit quicker off the mark, I found the interior and instrumentation a bit bland and cheap.

Ended up with a good lease on a 2011 X3 with everything I wanted. Have fun test driving!
  • pp2009pppp2009pp Member Posts: 228
    Not moved. Not impressed.

Not buying it since the previous model still has problems to the end that were never fixed.

:sick:
    Were you test driving turbo or non-turbo version?
    How's the mpg so far?
    edited March 2011
    I was not impressed by the last model. It was useful, but in my opinion not quite to the standards of some of the other models. I guess because it was produced in an off-site plant in Austria. This new one has very impressive fit and finish! It's all BMW and the quality is impeccable in my opinion. I personally liked the 3.5i - what a rocket and handles like any performance all-wheel drive should be expected to. My wife liked the easier handling characteristics, overall feel and looks. We opted for the 2.8i because truly the 2.8i is plenty for her. I believe over the next week or so BMW dealers are hosting a ride/drive with all competitors as I received an invitation. I'm satisfied, but it sounds like a very good opportunity to feel the differences!
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Congratulations on your new X3. I'm also considering the 2.8i & would greatly appreciate it if you would take the time to post your impressions during the next few weeks.

Just responded to an invitation to that ride/drive event, which my local dealer will host on April 1st.
  • pp2009pppp2009pp Member Posts: 228
    Nope X3 still problematic and BMW has no fixes.

Bummer. Last BMW in this family.
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • kdoolinkdoolin Member Posts: 5
    Was driving the non turbo. My X3 is on order!
  • pierredpierred Member Posts: 2
    To day I've been to my BMW dealer in Quebec City and the salesman told me that the new X3 is a 2011 model while I read on the net, at many places that it was a 2012 model. Who is right ?
  • pierredpierred Member Posts: 2
    How come that the door mirrors doesn't have defrost ? Even as option...not available !
    I want to have a Bose sound system in my new X3...available only if you buy 2 optional kits...it's just like if you want to buy a color T.V. for your home and that you have to buy all the furnitures in the living room !!! I'm fedup about those pressure sales...!!!
    They're 2011's. BMW is releasing some 2012 models early, but the X3 is not one of them.
    Heated mirrors are standard on all BMW's. There's no switch. They automatically come on at 37 degrees, though I don't know what that is in Celsius : ). BMW does not use Bose, rather Harmon Kardon. And the new 6 will utilize Bang and Olufsen. Sounds like you've got an inexperienced salesman. I would ask for a veteran advisor and send that guy back to to the deep fryer.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    I want to have a Bose sound system in my new X3

Why? For more than 30 years, people who really know good sound have been saying:

No highs,
    No lows.
    Must be Bose.
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    The BMW drive event came to Fort Worth and I tested both X3s and the Audi Q5.
    They got everything right on the 35i turbo. What a great vehicle. My wife would be happy with the 28i and it would be her vehicle. For me, the power was certainly adequate, but the eight speed trans on the 28i seemed to delay in its shifts. Probably just too many different drivers every day got the transmission confused and it needed a software adjustment.
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    Isn't Bose spelled as Joke... for the uninitiated?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Exactly. Bose is a testament to astute marketing. The less discerning pay a premium price and wind up with very mediocre sound quality.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited August 2011
    245/55R17 replacement tires are fairly expensive except $189 from tirerack:
    Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season RFT (High Performance All-Season)
    It also has LRR (Low rolling resistance) which "might" improve fuel efficiency.

From the 2 reviews on Tirerack it seems this might be the OEM tires...

So it comes with road hazzard warranty for OEM car right?
    1 Year / first 2/32" wear then prorated
    My wife's 2.8i, though nonsport has Bridgestone Dueler H/L's. (good quiet, good traction tire) I saw Pirelli's on the sport 3.5i. The 2.8i does come with Sport and MSport which will require a more sport oriented tire and didn't see any of those when I was out.
  • dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    edited December 2011
    +1 on that one. If only my wife wasn't so hooked on BMW's.

Bought a 2011 X3 a couple of months ago for my wife. Really nice car. But with less than 5K miles on it, the transmission started making a big popping sound when accelerating and it felt like it was falling out of gear. Took it to the dealer and they told us that BMW puts the minimum amount of transmission oil in their new cars because transmission oil is so expensive. I find that hard to believe, but the dealer topped off the oil and now it's running fine. Even if it's not the oil, any transmission problem so early in the life of a car is unacceptable. :sick:

I wish I could say it was an isolated event, but my wife's old X5 was not exactly a model of reliability and my '07 335i has been in the shop on a regular basis. I never had such problems with my Acura's. From what I hear, Infinity is also very reliable. As much as I like the way BMW's look and drive, I don't think I can deal with the repair bills after the warranty runs out. So at least for me, in the future I'll be looking for something cheaper than a BMW and ironically more durable.
    This one piqued my interest primarily because my wife drives and loves her X3 and because I'm actually in for scheduled maintenance at a dealership in N. Texas right now. So I ask the svc manager this question. He laughed and asked why a manufacturer would put the minimum amount of fluid in something that we're guaranteeing and expensive, no; this is not a Kia for goodness sakes. All fluids are topped off at delivery. The popping is likely an exhaust dampener.
    Costs after warranty and covered maintenance are related to the level of engineering of the vehicle. The Japanese cars, eg. Honda, Nissan, Toyota, are very simple and though they have increased their costs as a marketing ploy to make people think they are competitors, they are much simpler vehicles. I compare the BMW to any high performance vehicle. They need a bit more to keep them at the level they're intended to perform at.
    If a service rep stated that the fluid was not topped off or it is too expensive, find another service rep who will take reaponsibility for it not being topped off in the first place. This should have been done before delivery and w/only 5k miles on it it should be full.
  • dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    I have to agree. I think my service rep had no clue what he was talking about. It makes no financial sense to save on fluid on the new car delivery only to pay for it a few months later as part of a full maintenance program. We will see if topping off the transmission fluid really fixed the problem. The problem wasn't happening consistently before, so we'll find out over the next few days.

My wife loves her X3 and I'm really impressed with it too except any transmission problems at this point are kind of ridiculous. Years ago I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee that started with the same type of (un)reliability pattern so I'm very wary of this kind of stuff.

I'm not quite buying the argument that BMW's are more complicated and therefore it's OK for them to break down. I can get an Infinity or Lexus that will keep up with my 335i. It would take a really sophisticated driver on a track to say the 335i is better, and even then it's gonna be by a nose. I think Japanese car quality control or process or whatever is just plain better than the Germans and it's not really about how complicated the car is. Too bad the Japanese can't make a car that looks and feels as good as a BMW.

In any case, I will keep spoiling my wife with BMW's. As for me, I will be replacing my 335i in a couple of years when the extended warranty runs out and I'll probably be going with a Japanese car that will last me longer and save me some money.