Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Elantra....transmission failed at 2600 miles!

sarah2175sarah2175 Member Posts: 76
edited February 2014 in Hyundai
Please tell me I'm not the only one that this has happened to. I bought my BRAND NEW Elantra on October 8th. Today is December 11th....the car has 2600 miles on it, and the transmission has to be completely replaced. I am OUTRAGED. How could this have happened?

Comments

• joeyrabjoeyrab Member Posts: 65
    Sorry man...bummer.
  • sarah2175sarah2175 Member Posts: 76
    edited December 2010
    "Bummer" isn't the word I used at the dealership on Saturday. lol

I called the consumer affairs department....spoke to a nice woman who filed a claim and gave me a case number. Someone at Hyundai is supposed to call me back in 3-4 days. I don't even know how to handle this. Everyone I have spoken to said they've never heard of this before. Even when I do get a new transmission in the car, my peace of mind is completely shattered and I will never feel safe in that car. I mean, we aren't talking about a broken tail light...this is the TRANSMISSION OF THE CAR for crying out loud.

Does anyone out there have any advice for me? I guess calling consumer affairs was the first step, but other then that I don't know what to do. I did not buy a brand new car just to get a rebuilt transmission put in after 2,600 miles.
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    edited December 2010
    Umm...cars are machines. They aren't bulletproof. Stuff happens. For the tranny to fail so early shows there was a manufacturing defect. This can happen to any company. The only thing you can do is let Hyundai replace it. That's what the warranty is there for. Why wouldn't you feel safe? This is not something that happens daily on this car. You happened to get a bum tranny. The tranny has brand new parts inside the casing, which is what matters, and the car will still have the same 100,000 mile warranty. Just drive the car and stop thinking so much. Give Hyundai a chance to right their wrong.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Agreed. Cars have thousands and thousands of parts. It's unfortunately not possible for every last one of them on every last car to be perfect.

Sarah, let the warranty work for you. Hyundai should replace the trans and you'll be on your way. To help you frame this as an isolated event, if you scan the forums here you'll see very few references to Hyundai having transmission problems in recent years. For the Elantra specifically, I can't recall the last time I saw one mentioned even for cars well past the warranty expiration.

You got a good car with a bad part. The best advice is to not sweat it, get it fixed, and get back to enjoying life.

Consider: My wife's '01 Elantra was subject to a subframe rust recall. Due to parts availability it was at the dealer for a week before it was repaired & returned to us. It hasn't shaken our faith in Hyundai at all; there was a problem and they took care of it. It took longer than we would have preferred but we got a free Sonata loaner so no harm no foul. We got a week to put miles on "someone else's" car and a week to not put miles on our car (including an out of state trip). Nice extended test drive.

I suppose the car no longer being new smoothed out the bumps in the ownership experience; time and miles on the replacement trans should help soften the blow for you.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • schukanuosladyschukanuoslady Member Posts: 118
    I have a 2008 Elantra. I have had it at the dealership 6 times the first year I bought it and 4 more since. It is now almost 2 1/2 yrs old. Everytime I put it in park, the car jerks forward and makes a weird noise. And starts to roll. The Dealer keeps telling me I need to use the emergency brake...ok...funny in 30 years this has never happened to me. I have even called Hyundai and they have put in reports. And still it does it. I read someplace that bits of metal are flaking off inside the trannies. And they don't find it till they drain it. I have 11,000 miles on my 1 1/2 yr old car. And the dealer said if I want it drained I have to pay for it. My next call to Hyundai is not going to be nice. Keep us informed as I have been argueing for over 2 yrs with the dealer and company. :sick:
    Ummm.....yes, I know cars are machines. And yes, I realize stuff happens. However, having a transmission completely fail at 2,600 miles is inexcusable. It's almost 2011....it's not 1950. Cars are supposed to be made correctly. I did not intend to spend $16K on a car only to have the transmission fall apart after two months.
    If you expect perfection from a $16k car, I don't know what to say. It sucks it broke, I feel you on that. But you are overreacting. I think it's much better it failed now rather than at 101,000 miles out of warranty. It's not going to cost you a dime to fix so what's the big deal? If the new tranny fails right away too, THAN I would be extremely upset because obviously the cars are complete junk. Like I said, get the new tranny installed and see what happens. My guess is, you won't encounter any other problems from that tranny.
    I absolutely expect perfection from ANY car that is brand new with less then 3,000 miles on it. Once again, we are talking about the *transmission*....not a busted tail light.

But I guess YOU think differently just because it's a $16K car? WTF? You can take your snobbish and condescending attitude and shove it. Thanks a lot for your "help".
    Wow, that really sucks. Why would you have to pay for that? Wouldn't something like that still be under warranty?
    Snobby and condescending? A bit hyperactive are we? My car cost $14k. I expect it to be reliable, not perfect. However, if something breaks, I'm happy it's under warranty. You had an unfortunate malfunction that statistically happens to very few people. It doesn't mean the car is junk or unsafe. It just means it had a bad part and Hyundai is required to replace it under warranty.

I'm sorry my suggestion doesn't appease you. It appears all you want to do is complain and cry and expect the problem to magically have never occured. If you don't feel safe, trade it in and take a soaking in the process. What else do you want people to tell you? Perhaps you wish you had bought that "perfect" Toyota that will accelerate out of control? Now, that's something to not feel safe about.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    The dealership was giving you good advice. Use the parking brake. It is especially important on cars with auto trannys. Some info for you. When u put it in Park there is tiny pawl that locks in a slot. It is not much bigger than a fat pen. Now...have you ever seen someone in parking mall bump into the car in front or rear when they park? Well if u don't have your parking brake set, then all that force of the bump, is exerted TOTALLY on that tiny pawl and the slot it fits in.

Have you ever parked on a steep hill or heard someone else as they pull it out of Park after being on steep hill without the parking brake? Have you ever heard that loud clunk? Well that is that tiny pawl slipping out of the slot with all that force exerted on it. As it passes the leading edge of the slot, imagine all that force is now on only a tiny 'edge' of the pawl. It is like taking a file or chisel to the end of it. And guess where the metal bits go?

As long as you believe that, it is not and never was, designed to lock the car down without the parking brake used in unison, then you can see why if it has these huge forces induced on it, it can fail or the part it fits into can fail..little by little, causing metal debris. Your owners manual clearly states when parking the car to put tranny in PARK and set the PARKING BRAKE, right?

And tell your girlfriends and have them tell their hubbys. If the word was spread better, people would have a lot fewer auto tranny failures way down the road.
    It is a drag that you had this happen so early, tarnishing your new car experience, but failures of all sizes happens more often than you think with new cars.

If you want my opinion, carfreak and others here have given you good advice....and you owe them an apology.
    Nah, didn't really want your opinion.

And "carfreak"....you had a snotty and sarcastic attitude from the start. I didn't come here to be criticized about buying a $16K car. I came here for advice and options because this had never happened to me before, nor has it happened to anyone I know.

Telling me "what do you expect from a $16K car?" was good advice? LOL
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Anyone who expects perfection in a car with less than 3,000 miles is likely to be disappointed. Why? Here's one data point: in the most recent JD Power Initial Quality Survey, which assesses quality over the first 90 days of car ownership, the average problem rate was 109 out of 100 cars--that works out to an average of more than one problem per new car. Hyundai's average was better than that, but still 102 per 100 cars.

Now, some folks will be lucky and won't experience any problems in the first 3 months of ownership. But for every owner like that, there'll be an owner with at least 2 problems. Many of these problems will be minor. But some won't be--as in a failed transmission.

The law of averages work against car owners expecting perfection. It's just not possible to mass-produce machines of the complexity of a modern automobile, at the price of an economy car, and make all of them perfect. Consider that about 100,000 Elantras are sold in the US each year. If the rate of a major failure such as a transmission failure were just 1/100th of 1%, that would still be 10 such failures a year.

The real marvel is that with the technical complexity of cars today, there aren't MORE major component failures. And the automatic transmission is the most complex mechanical component of a car.
    Good post, backy, but it will fall on deaf, spoiled ears I'm afraid. And unfortunately ones that can't comprehend good advice from bad or the ability to reason. Hopefully she will get a calculator out, confirm your numbers for herself and move on. Of course that will require some reasoning...let's hope.

I asked her whether it was a std or manual but I see my post got lost during the change over to the new format.

I feel bad for the next customer that walks into her dealer after they have just chatted with her though.

I wondered how many Elantras were sold in the US. Interesting..I wonder what the number is for NA.

Of the new cars I have owned with tranny problems, I had a 74 Pinto that had a bad 2nd gear syncro that Ford never fixed for me. I was young and got pushed around. Today I would clean the parking lot with the guys coattails. And coincidently an 85 S10 with a similar problem but not as severe. I also have had a Matrix AWD auto that I think had tranny trouble trying to happen. I traded it while still under wty with around 25k miles or so. Most of my vehicles have been manual though.
    You should read post 12. It has some good info you could use if your tranny was an auto and you don't use your parking brake. Try to extract the good out of this bad situation you have. There are people here who have tried to help you.
    Okay, I know minor things happen in all cars, new or old. I guess I just didn't expect the transmission of a brand new car to fail.
    First of all, post #12 wasn't in reply to me.

Secondly, what exactly do you mean "I feel bad for the next customer that walks into her dealer after they have just chatted with her though." Was I supposed to just bend over and accept this without putting up some kind of fight? "Oh okay...the transmission broke on a brand new car. No problem." WTF?

And make up your mind...two paragraphs later you wrote "Today I would clean the parking lot with the guys coattails." So it's okay for YOU to get upset but I'm not allowed?
    If they didn't tell you to F O then they treated you better than they did me. That is why I have such a bitter memory of them/him.

What I didn't do was get upset with the people who were trying to help me.

Just because #12 wasn't directed to you, you didn't find that useful info to help ensure that when you get your new tranny, you want it to last as long as possible? It won't always be under wty ya know..
    Anyway, the car is fixed (for now at least). As I said, I know things happen with cars, but when the sticker price of a car is almost $18K, and in this day in age, I expected the transmission of all things not to blow on a brand new car. I was nicely compensated by Hyundai (I raised a stink...and it paid off).

Since something like this is very rare, I assume it hasn't happened to any of you. Perhaps if/when it does, you can understand my anger and frustration.
    Criticizing me by telling me that I should expect it because it was a $16K car is not helpful.

Yes, post #12 was good info but I always use my parking brake regardless. And yes, my car is an automatic.
    "Criticizing me by telling me that I should expect it because it was a $16K car is not helpful. "

I did not tell you that. On that I happen to agree with you. Some posts you have to weed out the good info and drop the other I guess. Glad they got you fixed up so quickly. Wow, that is fast to re and re a tranny. They must have had one in stock. It sounds like they might have given you a br new tran? Either that or the problem wasn't huge inside it.
    Well, it happened over the weekend....I had it towed into the dealership on Saturday morning. They didn't have one in stock...they had to order it. And yeah, they gave me a brand new one.
    I don't think anyone EXPECTS a transmission to fail. Usually they don't, especially on a new car. I haven't had an auto tranny failure in nearly 40 years of driving, but maybe my luck will run out someday.

A major problem on a new car can be frustrating. But maybe it can help to focus more on how the problem is dealt with, vs. the fact it happened (since problems WILL happen on cars). If the dealership doesn't react properly to a problem like that and take care of you, then that's something that can be complained about with some hope of correction, since it's all about human and corporate behavior. Machines are another story... they can and do fail sometimes, and not much we can do about that except take good care of them as they grow old and hope they will take care of us.
    Out of curiosity, can you please try to explain what the tranny did when you realized it failed or was failing? Slipping, locked up, wouldn't up or downshift? etc
    Sure. I first realized there was a problem this past Thursday. I was going to lunch with my boss, and when I put the car in reverse (it's an automatic) it kind of took a few seconds before it got into gear, and then it jerked a little. It drove fine, and then on Friday when I left work I was turning right at a light, and I accelerated normally, but the RPM shot WAY up and the engine got incredibly loud. It obviously wasn't shifting. Then it returned to normal....I got home fine. Then on Saturday morning I left my house to run a couple of errands, and I couldn't get it above 20MPH. So, that's when I called AAA and got it towed to the dealership.
    Hmmm, so could be almost anything, but does sound like it has an oil pickup starvation issue, or bad torque convertor (that's the thing that lets you stop and still be in gear without stalling the engine).
    Its great that they gave you a br new tranny and delivery of the part was pretty quick. Impressive really. So what extra deal did you get them to reward you with cuz of the stress and hassle?

Assuming they did a good job, I'd say you have yourself a pretty good dealer. Made the issue as stress-free as is reasonably possible. Some would want to 'fix' the tranny, and have u in a loaner Accent for weeks on end while they do it. And then you get it back and the interior smells of shop smells include exhaust smells etc. In very small town shops you might even get body shop dust migrating over. And while they are suppose to have your windows up and the HVAC controls set on recirculate, this doesn't always happen.
    Yeah, I don't really know what the exact problem was, but I forgot to mention that the car also wouldn't go into reverse at all on Saturday.

All in all, I have to say I was very impressed with the quick service...it is a good dealership. They put me in a Sonata loaner for four days..that was nice.

To compensate me, Hyundai is paying two of my car payments for me.

I probably wouldn't have been this upset if I hadn't had all the problems going on in my old car. I had been driving a 1999 Acura Integra...80K miles on it and for the last year I was starting to have problem after problem. At first it was general maintenance (tires, brakes, etc) then over the summer I had to replace the exhaust system, then a month later the computer in the transmission went. That's when I started to look for another car. A lot of people I know recommended the Elantra, and once I researched it and then finally test drove it, I knew that was it. I was so tired of breaking down every other week in my Acura, the relief I felt after I drove away in my new Elantra was indescribable. Then two months later, this happens.

Anyway, I hope I don't have to deal with something like this for a very long time. I know it was a fluke, that this was extremely rare, but it was just frustrating as hell.
    So what you are telling us is, your 11-year-old car had one part fail, a computer in the transmission (all the rest of the stuff was apparently wear items wearing out), and you got upset about "all the problems" with the car.

IMO you got really good service from that Acura, to have one part fail after 11 years.

And as I and others here have tried to tell you... NO car is indestructable. Unreasonable expectations are likely to lead to disappointment, whether it's one of the most reliable car brands ever (Acura) or a Hyundai.

And you got a free loaner (a better car than your Elantra) while yours was being repaired, plus two payments! Wow. I would be very pleased with that kind of dealer response to a problem if a similar thing had happened to me. I've owned new cars that I had to have in the shop several times in the first year for multiple problems. Never got a free loaner or car payments or anything like that. Hyundai took very good care of you.
    "So what you are telling us is, your 11-year-old car had one part fail, a computer in the transmission (all the rest of the stuff was apparently wear items wearing out), and you got upset about "all the problems" with the car."

*Sigh*....I had quite a few problems with the Acura through the years, sorry I didn't name them all. I SAID....this last year it was just one thing after another.

Excuse me if my expectations were "unreasonable". How SILLY of me to think the transmission would work on a brand new car.

Good lord.

Of course I got a free loaner. I've never heard of anyone that had to pay for a loaner when something like this happens.

Sorry you didn't get payments or a free loaner. Sounds like you are the type of person to keep your mouth shut because you expect these things to happen.
    edited December 2010
    The Lord had nothing to do with it.

And you are twisting what I am saying. I never said you were being unreasonable for expecting a transmission to work in a new car. What I think is unrealistic is your stated expectation that every new car be "perfect".

I have a pretty good idea what kind of a person you are also. But I won't say it here. First, I could be wrong. (I have a feeling you aren't wrong very often, true?) Second, it would probably be offensive.

Good luck with your Elantra.

P.S. When I had a serious problem (a design/safety issue, not a component failure) with my first Hyundai, several years ago, I took it up with the President and CEO of HMA. Did you talk to any Hyundai executives about your problem?
    Wait a second here tho. Ok she came on strong, but has since taken a step back. It helps to get your own wheels back. Nevermind her old car now ok? Ok, so I think she realizes that even new cars have faults. She has learned something, but don't keep bashing her. She has already step back. Give the out now. Otherwise you come across as bullying.

You have to admit that the whole thrill of new car ownership gets a kick in the teeth if you have a major failure in a short period of time. Or not...I don't personally care if you admit it or not.
    I am not one for kicking when someone is down and has admitted defeat. But i'm not you. Anyway, that's the last I'll say on this. She is more than capable of defending herself. I just think it is more fair to acknowledge someone's effort to see the bigger picture, even if at first they didn't.
    Why do you need to know if I talked to any executives? What difference does that make? Sounds like you may be a little bitter that I got a good deal out of this and you didn't. Hmmm. Next time have a backbone and speak up.

And quite honestly, I don't give a crap what you think of me. You actually think I care what someone over the internet thinks of me? LOL!!

BTW, I'm not twisting anything. Apparently you expect cars to break down as soon as you buy them. I don't.
    Thank you.
    Sarah, I really don't know why you are so defensive and take every little word on the internet as if you have any idea of how the words are being said, but your attitude is not conducive to getting any kind of help.

I never once called you a name or suggested anything bad about you, but you ripped into me for suggesting a $16k car isn't perfect. I was merely stating a fact. If you thought I was degrading you for "only" being able to afford a $16k car, you would be wrong as that would be calling the kettle black since I can't even afford a car that costs that much. I bought a 2010 Accent GS hatchback the same day you bought your Elantra. The funny thing is you ended up taking my advice even if you didn't want to and look who won. You let Hyundai honor their warranty and even got a few car payments thrown in. I bet you just feel peachy keen now don't you? LOL My posts to you were not meant to degrade you in any way, only to try and figure out what answers you were looking for. And there was only one answer, let Hyundai fix your broken car. I'm sorry that answer didn't sound so hot to a frustrated person, but there was no need to be nasty towards me.

Host, can we please shut down and delete this obviously unneeded thread? After all, it is a duplicate thread since there is already a transmission discussion for the Elantra and the person who started this one has seen her problem resolved.
  • carstrykecarstryke Member Posts: 168
    You get what you pay for.....which is why i don't drive a hyundai
    Shut it down? And throw out good info here and there? I put a lot of effort into my typing due to a bad arm. There is very good info for random readers in the future in post 12.
    Not all posters start at the most recent post and reads from there. Many of us start at the beginning and work their way through. I see miscommunication and redundancy happen all the time on this site, due to someone jumping in in the middle or near the end of a thread. I'm not saying that happen this time, my point is that while some parts of a thread may appear to be over there are other parts of use. There is also the info that Sarah provided about how well her dealer treated her. This might be useful to someone else down the road. And I don't see any post like it in the other tranny thread.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    But let's stop making personal comments, please. Even veiled personal comments are unnecessary.

Please understand that when people first experience a major issue, they often arrive here pretty upset. I've seen it time & again - they're mad, and then a little time passes, and if things work out, they calm down. It's OK to come here and vent, and regardless of the vehicle, we all know they aren't perfect - but it's understandable to experience frustration when it happens to YOU. Showing a little empathy doesn't hurt, nor does it cost anything.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Was this directed to me somehow cuz of my info posts? I'm trying to interpret your veiled comment and (to me anyway) it was just elusive enough that I'm not sure. And i don't want to keep being a nuisance if that is what you meant? I know I can get off topic, but usually it is related in some way and even if i get off, I'm usually not too far off for very long. I never push myself where I am not wanted or appreciated.

I will say though, that I find comparative comments about other competitive vehicles in any thread, is always interesting and informative to me. And even if it is a plea for help with a problem with the car, sometimes solutions are still found off brand. Granted, you can't sway off brand for so long that you have to go back a few pages to be reminded what thread you are in..
    So tell us your thoughts and impressions of the Sonata after having it a few days? What year was it? Anything you liked about your Elantra better than the Sonata?
    Was the driver seat any more comfortable or supportive? Headlight vision on lo beam, similar between both cars? Was the stereo better? More or less wind and road noise? Ride/handling/steering? That sorta thing..
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I'm sorry to see that some took my last post as a request. It wasn't. This thread isn't a place for members to defend themselves, nor a place to point the finger at others.

Here's a hot tip: If your post contains the word "you," especially more than once, it's probably about another person rather than the issue or content of the post.

If you have questions or comments about *this* post, please handle it via email rather than posting here. Some off-topic comments and comments that violate our Membership Agreement have been removed.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

The Sonata was fine...it was a 2011. Very nice car. I didn't pay attention to every little thing while I had it...I just wanted my Elantra back. The Sonata of course is a lot more fancy, but I don't need all those things.
    Well, it seems they don't want to let me know there is something wrong. Get this. I was getting my oil changes done at the dealer just in case there was a problem like the fuel pump (which many remember it was my husband's elantra that caused the major accident in NJ). So I fell and broke my arm on ice last winter. Took it to Midas in town as I couldn't get to the dealer. Midas rotated the tires free and told me the front were going bad. At the time the car at less than 2 yrs old had about 9,000 miles on it. Don't get me wrong...I love this car. What I don't like is what the dealer tells me. So, I called the dealer ...told them the problem and they said bring it in tomorrow. (tires still under warranty). So, it turns out....the whole alignment was off and I got a free alignmnet done. But now to play it safe, I am taking it to Midas again as he is honest, and I want to know if now the back tires put on the front are ok and if the ones going bad on the back are getting worse as when it comes to tires I am a dummy. And ask my husband and all he cares is the condition of his 18 wheeler tires. He tells me have them checked out by someone else. So, I just want my car to stop jerking when I put it in park. And I want it to stop rolling on a slight incline. I never had a vehicle do that before and this time I am going to drive and let the Tech sit as the passenger and I will show him what is wrong. I think they ride down the road by them that has no even little inclines. I am going to a different dealership where they can see all the times it has been taken in for the same problem.
    I am 55 yrs old. My girlfriends? I am not a teenager and apparently you feel I don't know how to park a car. Well, typical man remark. As far as I am concerned Backy is the one with the knowledge on here. And by the way. When I was 20 yrs old, I PAID a driving instrutor to teach me the PROPER way of driving and parking. So, don't tell me what to do. I know what I am doing. And by the way...I lived in NJ for 15 yrs and everyone knows Jersey drivers are the worst. And I never had a problem as I was taught the PROPER way to drive, park and USE the parking brake. If you read my whole thing you would have seen it does it on a flat surface/end of driveway incline. This was a typical man comment telling someone they thought was a youngster who had no knowledge of driving. And YES...I did read the manual. And YES. .. I know how to park. But you have no idea what my car is doing. You are not in it when it does it. And last week it happened pulling into a Full Service gas station and the mechanic came out when he heard my car when I stopped it. And so much for you telling me to read my manual. He told me the Dealer does not want to fix a new car. And has let it go on for 2 yrs now. Well, it's going to a different dealer as I am moving next week. And lets see if they think I need to read the manual too or if they fix it. Because you will be the first to know.
    Let's hope you can find a dealer service dept. that will give you good service, more like what Sarah got.

One thing to ask them when you bring it to the new dealer (maybe you have already tried this): of course, ask the service writer to get in the car with you so he/she can see first-hand what you are describing. PLUS... ask if you can both try out an Elantra of the same year--or at least the same generation. They will likely have a new 2010 on the lot, or at least a used 2007-10 with automatic. (Try to get the new car if possible.) Then try exactly the same things on that car. If it demonstrates the same behavior as yours, it's possible the car is "acting as designed" (even if that isn't the way you want it to behave). It's also possible both cars are messed up, but less likely that a car picked at random will have the same problem yours does, if it is in fact a defect. And if this other car does NOT act like yours (i.e. acts more like you expect it to act) then the dealer has clear evidence to fix it under warranty.
    I simply can't believe the number of assumptions you made and how wrong you got them all. I am not surprised you don't have any GF's. And nowhere did i say you were a teenager. You are unbelievably defensive. I was trying to help. Boy, do I regret that. I am convinced this thread is absolutely cursed.
    As for you and the issue you think you have with your car?...I am a proponent of karma on this one..
    I am so outta here.
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    "Let's hope you can find a dealer service dept. that will give you good service, more like what Sarah got. "

Ive got two dealers in my area for Hyundai...one(the selling dealer) essentially gave up on me and my 2009 Elantra Touring issues, and the other who seems to be more interested in helping me, but havent resolved much of anything( yet).
    Well, it seems like there is another problem with my brand new Elantra. This evening I noticed that when I slow down, whether it be at a red light, or when I'm turning right or left onto another street, there is a clanging noise coming from the engine. It doesn't happen every time, but I heard it at least 3 or 4 times. Back to the dealership I go in the morning!

What fun!! I'm SO glad I bought a new car!!
    Maybe they didn't tighten down everything underneath, e.g. a heat shield, when installing the new transmission. Did you notice this noise before the transmission was replaced?
    No, this is the first I've heard of it. If they didn't tighten something down, wouldn't I hear it before now? I picked up the car on Wednesday.