Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Equinox FWD vs. AWD

travkittytravkitty Member Posts: 1
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet
I'm on the verge of buying a 2011 Equinox. I live in Illinois, close to St. Louis. I'm debating whether I should forsake some gas mileage & add on cost by getting an AWD or saving some money & gaining mileage with a FWD. Thoughts? Is AWD worth it?

Comments

• Options
    runoxrunox Member Posts: 156
    I would highly recommend going for the AWD. The AWD senses slippage then kicks in, otherwise you are running 100% on the fronts and about 10% on the rears.

See all that snow around you, that's when you really need it. You won't lose that much in gas mileage.
  • Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I don't have a nox, but with my 01 Pontiac with similiar AWD system combined with a good set of winter tires its a very competent winter machine that will get going and track very well in most cases (glare ice being exception). I think you would have very few 'white-knuckle' experiances with it as far as driving is concerned.
    The only things I have noticed are when stopped at stop sign and turning, if the front wheels lose grip and rears get engaged there is a slight tendancy to push vehicle straight ahead (fronts sliding sideways), also it is easy to be a little to confident and go to fast for conditions as far as braking/stopping distance are concerned (AWD isn't going to decrease stopping distance).
  • Options
    oscar007oscar007 Member Posts: 2
    I did research before buying our 2011 V6 awd . The awd for the snow is nice to have howver you lose (from what I researched) 2 to 4 mpgs with v6 and more with the 4 due to it being more weight to carry. I also went with the V6 since i have seen very little complains about the V6 and have seen many on the 4. We have 4,000 miles on our Nox and are averaging 21 mpg city/hwy driving (speed limits 55 to 65) and got almost 22 on a 3,000+ mile road trip with 2 adults and 3 kids and loaded with luggage. I have heard others with the v6 say they have gotten as much as 25/26 mpgs but We have not come near that even when just the wife drove it to n from work the last tank.
    We have had 0 problems with our Nox thus far as to note to anything to complain about nothing has broken..
  • Options
    runoxrunox Member Posts: 156
    In comparison, with the 4AWD I routinely get 28-29 mpg highway, 25 city with no perceived loss of power.

The winter gas is killing the numbers, 22 city and 25 highway.
  • Options
    1saxman1saxman Member Posts: 1
    What kind of rear drive assist system does the Equinox use? Is it a variation of the Versatrak system such as on the VUE?
  • Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I believe it is, not sure how it may have changed but same general idea,,,,,,front wheels start to slip and more power to rear
  • Options
    bfamilybfamily Member Posts: 15
    The AWD system is uses a power transfer unit bolted, to the transmission, and an axle both made for GM by GETRAG in North Carolina. There's a clutch module between the prop shaft and the axle that engages the rear drive when sensing slip. The Vue used this same setup starting in the 2007MY.
This discussion has been closed.