Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

3.6.engine

cipollacipolla Member Posts: 22
I,m going to buy the outback, my problem is which engine should I get? I hear that the 2.4 lacks power but great on gas and the 3.6 is powerful but not that good on gas which I could understand, I would like to hear some feed back on my problem.

Thank you
Jack

Comments

• dlogan1dlogan1 Member Posts: 1
    Jack,
    I bought a 3.6R in November, primarily because I ski a lot and drive in the mountains...although I live in Denver. I recently have been in Steamboat the last two weekends. If you're going to be driving on two-lane roads where you need acceleration, or if you're going to be driving up serious inclines (like the rocky mountains); then you need the 3.6. In Denver, I think I would be happy with a smaller engine and better fuel consumption. Right now, I've been averaging 24mpg with the 3.6, but for me its worth it. Where do you live and drive? Before I purchased, I test drove both...
    Good Luck,
    Jeff
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    Jack and Jeff,

I live in the Colorado front range too, and I bought the 2.5 engine. I usually go skiing every other week or so and I've never felt a lack of power. Granted I'm in a (slightly less weight) Legacy and I'm the only one in the car, but I've never felt more power was a plus for snow driving. I handle the inclines quite well.

easypar
  • cipollacipolla Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2011
    Hi Jeff
    I took both the 2.5 and the 3.6 for test drives and found the 2.5 was faster then I though. I perched the outback limited with moonroof, I think I got a good deal with extras like bodyside molding, mud guards, winter rubber mats hood guard, out the door was 32.500. I forgot the remote started
    Thanks again.
    jack
    Thank you for your help.

jack
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited January 2011
    Congrats.

I think the CVT keeps the engine in its sweet spot, so it feels more powerful than it is.
    Hello ateixeira

Your right, it's more powerful then I though, it rides great and very quite, however the cont. tires do make some rode noise but nothing I cant live with. It was worth the $31.500 and that was with all extra fees. I think I got a good deal, I got the limited fully load except nav. and all the body trim. Thanks again.

Jack
  • mojobagginsmojobaggins Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2011
    Probably late to the party but I had the opportunity to test drive both today up some steep hills on the highway. The 2.5 has enough power, the problem I had was the engine noise was annoying, even driving on flats. I'd rather go with the CVT but think I may have to go with the 3.6 for a quieter ride.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I found the 3.6L engine to be great, however the driveline loss is awful. They are dynoing 255hp at the crank and 155 at the wheels. That's a lot of loss. I thought it was just folks internet bench racing, but my real world test showed that it felt real sluggish. :(

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
    Congrats Jack!
    Thank you. I have the OB about 3 weeks now and its a great car. I average about 25 to 27 mpg in mix driving. The engine (2.5) is quieter and faster
    then I though it would be, but I see mojobaggins point. I think I got a good deal, I got the limited with body side moulding, winter mats, remote start, mud guards, bumper guards on four corners, chome on hatch door, moonroof, and the gold plan 7 years or 70.000 miles for 31500 out the door.
    Again thank you
  • ptk70ptk70 Member Posts: 2
    I live at 7000 feet in a mountain town, and 2.5i does fine. With the gas prices skyrocketing in recent weeks, I am even more glad I got the 2.5i.
    Over $100 a barrel, ouch!
  • pepper7144pepper7144 Member Posts: 2
    Mike I am looking at the 3.6 over the 2.5; it felt stronger. With what you are saying about the drive line loss on the 3.6; what is the loss on the 2.5? I love the mileage figures for the 2.5. Trying to decide which to go for; is the 6 really worth the price difference. I am in Central Georgia so 'real' mountains are not an issue.

Additionaly have you ever heard anyone using the GForce chip in an OB.
  • jp10558jp10558 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2012
    I have the 2012 3.6r limited legacy, and it seems a lot faster than the 2.5 I test drove. It certainly outperforms the 2.5i 07 Impreza I replaced, and gets within 2 MPG of that Impreza.

If you enjoy performance, the 3.6 seems obvious to me. But the MPG is around 22MPG.

As to HP, I thought all recent HP figures were bhp - i.e. power at the wheels, not off the engine (which is partly why modern engines seem so much more powerful than 60's cars with the "same" HP.

I can say my 3.6R is *quick* seeming for a stock car that size. In my Impreza flooring it, when I'd hit 60, in the same time the 3.6 Legacy is close to 85. Though that is just my unscientific feeling, how I have to watch the speedometer from a stop or I'll end up going to fast.

On the 3.6 though, has anyone else noticed that the oil level (not pressure) light is really sensitive, and pretty much frequently a false positive? I've been in and out of the dealer on this, and seen that the oil is up to level - but the light will go on when I am stuck in traffic on a steep hill, and go off some time later on level ground or when on a hill in the opposite direction.