Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Veloster

moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
Three door coupe Hyundai Veloster will be on sale in 2011.

Introduced at the 2011 NAIAS in Detroit.

Specifications are posted on Hyundai site.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/veloster/experience/

Fun vehicle from Hyundai at a lower entry point than Genesis Coupe.

A lot of content and great mpg.

Other than some odd styling elements I expect this to be a winner. And I like the styling, though I'm sure it will be polarizing.

Comments

• ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    edited February 2011
    This may be just the practical, 40 mpg, mid-life-crisis "sports car" I've been waiting for. I'm way too big for Mazda Miata or RX-8, and too cheap to spring for BMW Z-4. I read a review by a 6'1" jurnalist that said it was roomy enough for him. Time will tell. I'm keeping an eye on this Forum to see the latest on the what and when of this car. Thanks, MoparBad.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    edited March 2011
    It was just released in South Korea. Here's some info...

Veloster on sale in KDM

Supposedly due here in the US in the second half of the year.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    As stated in the previous post, Veloster is in production and on sale now in Korea. Expected on sale in U.S. no later than 2nd half 2011.

Hyudai keeps exceeding my expectations with it's latest vehicles.
    Now, if they will just unbundle some of their options and trim levels. Please don't bundle Sunroof with Leather and Nav.
    Amen - keep the Sunroof as a stand-alone option, dammit. From your keyboard to Hyundai's eyes.
    edited March 2011
    This might answer a few questions for you, and bring up a few more...

http://hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2012_Models/veloster/Features.asp

scroll to the bottom of that page for some package info.

;)
    Have the dealer change the 18" wheels for 17" and I could accept the contents of the style package. 18" wheels with low profile tires are just a repair bill wating to happen in pothole plagued roadway of Midwest. Not happy about the leatherette, at least is it not leather and only inserts.

Thanks for posting the media link on packages tenpin. Now the only question is pricing.

Style Package

• 18” alloy wheels w/ P215/40R18 tires

• Chrome grille surround w/ piano black highlights

• Front fog lights

• Panoramic sunroof

• Dimension premium audio w/ 8 speakers, external amp & subwoofer

• Leatherette bolster seats & door inserts

• Leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob

• Alloy pedals

• Driver auto up window
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    I'll second, third, fourth that idea... I'm searching now for a smallish CUV or SUV mostly for my wife's use and we've already had to rule out 3 or 4 attractive vehicles because we want some upgrades, like leather heated power seats and climate control. She is short, I'm tall and we live in New England. So we need to be able to change drivers frequently and keep warm. But as soon as you go for the seats and climate control, most top trim models REQUIRE the moonroof and in most cases my head interferes with the sunroof. Why can't tall Americans order a semi-luxury car without a sunroof? I did it two years ago when I bought a Mazda6 GT w/o a sunroof. I still can't figure out why they let that get through, but I'm thrilled with it. My head has never hit the roof..!!

Please Hyundai, KIA, and ALL other manufacturers; make the sun/moonroof a STANDALONE option for the American market..

:cry:
    First thing I noticed - that a 6'4" guy like me would fit fine in Driver's or Passenger's seat ! The Automatic version I drove was sprightly, but a bit short of peppy. On the few curves I got to try, it stayed remarkable flat; yet the ride was more supple than my Santa Fe. All in all, a great econosport ride.

I'm glad to see this car get built. I'll need a "middle-age crazy" car in awhile. This may end up being it.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited October 2011
    The Velosters are here! Saw 3 of them at my local Hyundai dealer today--a gray high-end model with the 18" wheels and two base models, one blue AT and one gray stick. I gravitated to the grey 6MT as the car looks a little more subdued in grey (although the blue was sharp) and I wouldn't mind getting back into a stick with my next car. Also the MT is rated 40 mpg highway and the AT only 38 (I think). And of course the MT costs less, just a bit over $18k and that is well-equipped with sharp 17" alloys, all the electronics I'd want (I don't need factory nav), and a good-looking cloth interior.

The cars were locked and the sales rep who walked by didn't offer to open the car for me, and I didn't ask since I won't be buying in the near future. But what I saw of the car made me think it could be an option for my next car. I'd have to live with 2+2 seating, but in a couple of years I won't need room for five, plus there's always my wife's Sonata when we have to carry the entire family.

For less money I could get an Elantra 6MT with the same engine, with room for five and swoopy styling in its own right. But the Veloster looks like a fun little car. Certainly will stand out in a crowd.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I'm with you on this one. I remember seeing the concept Hyundai Veloster and with this car the production car actually looks better-with me a lot of the time it's the other way around. This car looks like it would be fun to drive, too. It looks great-a very sporty design. And that back end-the way it rises up kind of high like that-I believe it the pic I'm thinking of had dual exhaust-or fakely routed dual exhaust.

But for $18,000 (is the green metallic color extra cost I wonder?) and nicely appointed at that price, this is a car I'm going to watch from the cheap seats and follow...perhaps join a website devoted to the car to follow the latest news about it constantly...this one looks to be a keeper with me. Don't know if I'd actually buy one but the Hyundai Veloster just jumped on to my Top 5 futures purchase list by just showing it's sporty face. :blush:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• smalltownsmalltown Member Posts: 75
    This is on my very short list when I retire in a few years. Hyundai and Kia seem to have the right amount of "stuff" that I want & the accessories are intuitive to use and functional.
    Why are there two different Hyundai Veloster forums at Edmunds?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A bit of confusion about what this beast is...a hatch or a coupe? Everything I see in the manufacturer description is calling it a Hatchback. So that's where we will have it live. However, I categorized it as a coupe too, just in case. :blush:

Both discussions have been merged to one. Sorry for all the confusion!
    KarenS, if I choose to "make an index" and search all Hyundai forums, this discussion does not show up. Any way to add an additional tag along with the "Hyundai Veloster", "Coupe", and "Hatchback" tags already applied to this discussion? That should allow it to show up in the Hyundai forums then.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I drove a base manual the other day.

They were so busy that I took a test drive with a non-salesman...he wasn't a mechanic...like a helper or something. I haven't been to a dealership with so much activity in a very long time...people everywhere.

The interior materials were much better than I anticipated (never drove a Hyundai before this). The car looked very good in all colors; the paint was very bright/shiny...looked like a showroom car. The orange looked surprisingly good. The car looked amazing! Pictures do not do it justice, it is a striking little car...

The ergonomics were very well thought out and I fit comfortably (6'3") with room to spare. I tried to sit in the passenger rear with the forward positioned comfortably set and could not. Headroom was sparse but knee/leg was 'ok'...which was anticipated, and in my situation not an issue.

The steering feel & weight was very buttoned down. It was a little light (not always a bad thing) but always responded instantly...little pull to the right...and the car was there; no leaning, delay...anything.

My only issue was the lack of power. Since this was not a demo car it had under 50 miles so I did not go over 4500 rpm (or so...). There really was no "pulling" under 3000 rpm...you really needed to rev this thing to get any sense of acceleration (I'm coming from a powerful V6 so my perspective may be skewed a little in this car class).

It's a good thing the mileage is rated high...offsets the lack of power.

I sat in a "style package" (since they had no manuals in this configuration) and the little touches made it look more upscale. I'm not certain $2k is worth it...but sunroof, rims, fog lights, leather inserts probably add up.

It's a shame the tech package requires the "style" package. I see the rear-view & sensors as a requirement on this car since the way it's styled really does leave everything behind you in a blind spot...or you'll need to go extremely slow.

In once sense it's nice to see all options available with a manual (specifically referring to the Focus manual)...but once you add up all the options you have a $22k 4 seater with a 1.6l engine.

Another issues is the sunroof...it does cut into the head room a bit...and I'm already close to the top so I'll need to take another test drive with the sunroof...plus being in the south I find no need for the sunroof; it just makes the AC work harder.

Overall its very impressive
    It's a shame the tech package requires the "style" package. I see the rear-view & sensors as a requirement on this car since the way it's styled really does leave everything behind you in a blind spot...or you'll need to go extremely slow.

I just read a review where you can only order two packages for Veloster, style or tech. There was no mention in the article that you had to order style in order to get tech. If this is true it will give you all the things you get with the style package (this is the one I would go with, I would want the sunroof and better stereo that comes with the style package) and the tech package but this would greatly increase the overall price of your Veloster I would think.

Are you sure that's true, Ivan, the article I read says you can order style or tech.

Here's the link to that very article.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1066307_2012-hyundai-veloster-first-drive

edited October 2011
    iluv,

If you go to http://www.hyundaiusa.com and try to build a Veloster, you will find that you can get the Style package by itself, but the Tech package does require the Style package as a prerequisite.
    yeah...unfortunately you're right with the packages.

Not a sunroof fan, but if it doesn't interfere with head room then I suppose it doesn't hurt too much. It's nice that it opens on the outside of the car...saving precious rear head room.

I see most manufacturers offer the "package only" options; I suppose it cuts down on costs...

The 18K price with all options take a big 25% hit (or so) when fully optioned. Although nobody is forcing you to take the options. The "base" car was very nice...even standard rims were nice; it's just other others are "nicer" :)
    Red interior requires at minimum the Style Pkg.
    Also, only white, red, or black exterior is available with red interior.
    Base Veloster is not available with red interior.
    with the Hyundai Veloster. I will keep a watch on this car and how it does with consumers throughout the coming months. I really like how the production version of Veloster came out. It tops the concept Veloster look even. And the paint jobs are vivid with the car, too.

And the paint jobs are vivid with the car, too

The paint really is striking...I'm not certain if they have a new process; which could potentially have issues (new process...bugs not worked out, etc).

Or they may just have bolder colors to go with the bolder design; e.g. having a Camry in a similar red may look silly.

Either way, at this point, the paint/colors remind me the first time I looked at a 24" mac monitor...wow....
    edited October 2011
    Hyundai has hit another home run with this 2012 Hyundai Veloster.

2012 Hyundai Veloster

Wow, the car looks stunning in red.

• hybrid93hatchhybrid93hatch Member Posts: 35
    Is the Veloster's motor and transmission a new design or from a pervious Hyundai?

Also, does the motor have a timing belt or chain? Is 100k the first major service required?

Thanks for any info!
    The engine is shared with the Accent, but the Veloster's automatic is a new six-speed dual-clutch unit with shift paddles. (Manual is 6 speeds also.) Engine has a timing chain. Not sure what you mean by "major" service interval, but most Hyundais have a major service interval at 60k. Won't be as "major" as in the past of course because no timing belt to replace then.
  • hybrid93hatchhybrid93hatch Member Posts: 35
    Thanks backy for the info!
    Thanks for confirming the Veloster's engine is also shared with the Accent. Would you happen to know how long the motor has been in production?

What is the 60k major service? I'm going to guess tranny fluid and coolant changing, then plugs at 100k. One thing I do like about my Accord is the minimum maintenance and hoping Hyundai's are as easy to maintain.

Thanks again.
    Hyundai has their maintenance schedule on their site.

This is their 60k maintenance for a manual. Nothing major...a bunch of inspections and changing of air filters.
    The 1.6L GDI Gamma engine debuted in the 2012 Accent, so it has not been in production very long. Hyundai's first GDI appeared about 2 years ago in the Sonata.

You can find out more about the Gamma engine by searching the Web on "Hyundai Gamma engine".
    I sat in a Veloster with moonroof today. My hair (which is pretty short) brushed the headliner. I'm 5'9". That was after moving the seat down a bit and reclining the seat another notch. A little too tight for my taste. Seat felt comfortable, though.
    I hear this all the time and our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS has a sunroof. My head doesn't get that close at all to the pup. Next time in the Lancer I'll check it out. I'd estimate that the top of my noggin is no closer than about 3 inches to the slider on the sunroof...but I'll try and remember to check it next time I enter the cabin. Weird stuff, it shouldn't "brush the headliner."

That's just wrong, on at least one very important level. The top of yer head, that level! Gotta check this out tomorrow morning.

• vitaminjnutvitaminjnut Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2011
    I read that too and thought it couldn't be accurate. I'm 5'8" and have a long torso and I've got close to 6 in of clearance in my Veloster. Not too mention a previous poster stated:

"The ergonomics were very well thought out and I fit comfortably (6'3") with room to spare."
    burn that head...

The Veloster is off my list...just can't fit.

I'm only 6'3" (not an NBA player) but get very close in the base (seat leaning back)...and with the sunroof I have to tilt my head so it goes by the glass.

And being follically challenged means a burnt head :)
    Well....

You could always open the roof and stick your head out! Just be sure to have a lot of sunscreen for the summer and a good hat for the winter!

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)
    heh...I made that mistake many years ago with a rented convertible (better coverage on top at that time)...my neck started to hurt...all red :)
  • gugaguga Member Posts: 2
    I have had my Veloster since mid Oct and love it. As I am not a techy and as a senior I look for some other things. First, the car has amazing styling and for my driving it does just fine. Let see how I feel after my fiirst trip to Yosemite and have all those hills to climb. I got the manual shift and it is just fun and so far, my milage is great.

Having driven the car twice, before purchasing, I didn't really grasp the visibiity or parking problem. On a long drive or in heavy traffic, the visibility requires extreme CARE. Parking - there are no guidelines with the front or the back. The car has quickly been "initiated", because of this difficulty.

I bought the basic model and the seats in the style pkg are soooooo much nicer that I wish they would have offered a small upgrade for the seats. It was not worth the extra $2000 and several people recommended not bothering with a sunroof.......

The car did come with the trunk tray - wheel locks and cargo bag----- all of which I had to pay for, why not for the seats. But even more important is the sensors. Given the poor visbility this should be manditory for safety and if I have to pay for a cargo tray, etc, why not include the sensors in the basic price even if it ups the price a couple of hundred $$$. This is a safety need. After market gets expensive.

One other huge gripe with the car are the head rests. Everyone who sits in the car and is at least 5/8-9" tall has no problem. I am 5'4" and the head rest is angled way way to far forward. The first few times I drove a long distance, I had headaches....moving the seat helps, but not for my comfort of reaching the pedals. The headrest only goes up/down and needs to either be redesigned or move back/forth a bit. Passengers who are short have also commented on how far forward their head is and have to move the seat, uncomfortably" back to not have their neck be pushed to a wierd angle. I hope the powers that be at Hyundai, check this out with shorter people.

I woud give the car 4 stars, but drive it ALOT and park it ALOT before purchasing so you know what you are getting. Also, don't be short....with the way the seats/headrest is designed
  • kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    I just picked up one in Electrolyte Green with Style package and DCT. Having read and viewed a lot of reviews on the Veloster's driving characteristics, I was pleasantly surprised at how biased many of those reviews were!

I wanted the manual but all the colors I wanted with just the Style package came with the DCT. While I still like to shift myself, the DCT is very good. There is a dead spot right off idle which may be the reason this car feels slow at the start. While it's not a speedster, the power on hand is more than sufficient for daily driving-so far getting 30+mpg in mixed suburban driving.

The headrest can bother shorter builds but I believe the angle is due to safety regulations. I am 5'10 so I have no problems with headroom front or back nor with the headrest angle; my Mom is 81 years old and 5'2" but hasn't had an issue with the headrest. I traded in an Elantra Touring SE and that model has a 4-way adjustable headrest. The fore/aft adjustment on that model would solve the issue shorter drivers are having in the Veloster. One area that may be of concern for broader builds is the bolstering of the seat bottom. I am average in build but feel the bolsters may be too close together for someone that is bigger. The steering wheel seems a bit high even after lowering it to the lowest position.

This is my third car with electric steering, the prior two being a Mazda 5 and the Elantra Touring. Both had much lighter feel but the Mazda seemed to have the most connected feel. It's amazing how the Veloster feels so much more planted and heavier than my Touring did.

LOVE the panoramic moonroof and there is virtually no turbulence at speed when it is open! The trunk is roomy but wish it had some storage cubbies built in for smaller items. Can't get over the style and quality of the interior for the price class its in!

Overall, the build quality is very good! My only concern is over the piano black exterior trim. It's actually thin plastic and will scratch easily. The rear spoiler already has some haze left by the dealer during prep.

It's amazing how much attention this car garners on the road! I've had drivers leaning out of windows and missing their lights so they could get a better look! Couldn't be happier with my new Veloster and look forward to a long road trip soon!
    edited November 2011
    the Hyundai Veloster is one rig that I like much more as a production model than I did as a concept. Sounds like you basically love the car, there's some nitpicky things here and there. That's what I was thinking about the headrest, it sounds like what is needed is a left and right adjustment on it, the one in the Elantra Touring SE would do the trick. Perhaps a special fit job might be necessary for some Veloster buyers.

I would check all relative positions of the seat before I'd go about modifying the headrest though. Sounds like a great new car from Hyundai...this is my favorite Hyundai ever. Keep posting how you like it so those of us interested in the car can learn from your experience, OK? Congratulations! :D

The Eloctrolyte Green is the best color, too, IMO, that's the one I would want, or the orange.

2012 Hyundai Veloster

I like those same-color inserts in the wheels, tastefully done. This would come in at around $18,400 for the standard transmission and the options I would want, simple package plans on this car, I like that. I'd try to get the Electrolyte Green color, that looks awesome on this car.

It was very difficult to decide on a color as these cars sell the minute they are unloaded! I haven't seen a color it doesn't look good in but I love the depth of color the Electrolyte has! It changes depending on the lighting conditions from an apple green to a yellow tinted lime.

I have just about 200 miles on mine now and the computer says I am averaging 30 mpg in suburban driving! My experience with Hyundai's tell me to expect better overall mpg once it passes 5k miles. My old Touring regularly achieved 22/city and 32/hwy so this is a big improvement!

Anyone thinking about getting a Veloster will have to be patient as they are in short supply and the manual transmission models are limited to the base car and the ones with Style and Tech package. In my market, practically all Velosters with Style package only have the DCT.

Love my Veloster!
  • koolkarlkoolkarl Member Posts: 1
    Just bought one yesterday with the style package. I'm 6' tall and I have to tell you that I was quite surprised by the 2 hour trip I took today. I was quite comfortable for the whole drive. I was not happy with the acceleration at all until I switched it to shift mode, tight and sweet I thought. Can not wait until tomorrow so I can go play.
  • velosterveloster Member Posts: 1
    The Veloster is amazing, and I'm excited to see manufacturers already bringing aftermarket support to the community! With a turbo option in the near future, this will prove to be a fun, sporty little car catching everyone's attention! I've created a Facebook Group to help owners share thoughts and ideas with vendors on what parts should be developed. Join and share your ideas!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288607261183921/
    I'm looking to add a Veloster to my Hyundai collection within the next year. I test drove one last week and was impressed with the features and interior finish. Loving it!!
    edited December 2011
    how are all of your 2012 Hyundai Veloster headrests treating you? All right? How are your interiors treating you? Seems to me I read at least one review where the person loved the Veloster's interior. What are your current thoughts on your Veloster(s)?

Hyundai Veloster in that red

• rangeman1rangeman1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm rather liking my Veloster's interior. The seats are comfortable I have no issues with the headrests. (5-7) I really think this car has more value than any car I've ever purchased. Its not a pocket rocket but I'm ok with that. The only thing I'm not fond of are the 18' wheels I would have rather had the higher profile 17 inch ones. I got all the bells and whistles and really think the rear view camera is a help as the trunk has a high lip. One of the forums raised an issue with water coming into the car when lifting the rear hatch after heavy rains, but I haven't found that an issue.

I've had the white style and tech DCT veloster 8 days and love it.. LOVE IT.
    With nearly 800 miles on the odometer, I've been averaging 28 mpg in suburban driving. The stats are more accurate than my Hyundai Touring and noticed the mpg does get recalculated rather quickly when conditions change.

The feature content and build quality of the Veloster is amazing for the price! Having said that, there are some odd omissions. The most glaring is lack of any lighting for the rear compartment-this becomes pitch black at night, and a glove box light. I know they were trying to keep costs down but didn't think those two items would cost too much. I also wish there was a way to pop the top open without having the sunshade retract all the way.

As another poster stated, shifting the DCT via the paddle shifters eliminates a lot of the lag you feel when accelerating. The only other thing about the DCT I had to get used to is some jerkiness during very low speed crawling in traffic. Other than that, the transmission downshifts without hesitation and is nearly seamless in shifting.

I don't think I'll sign up for the Bluelink once the free trial is over. The app for Android phones doesn't work on my HTC Thunderbolt which eliminates a lot of the useful features of the Bluelink service. The bluetooth with voice command is AWESOME! So glad I didn't buy a bluetooth headset!

It's crazy how much attention this car garners on the road! People literally turn around in their seats to get a look and I always have a car that lags behind to get a good look before pulling up next to me at a light-this happened today with the driver of a brand new Camaro convertible!
  • ginns5ginns5 Member Posts: 16
    at 5'4" I fully agree about the head rests.I have the Style package and was forced into wheel locks and cargo tray, but not the ADP.Overall, am very satisfied.For some reason or other I have no visibility concerns.
  • ginns5ginns5 Member Posts: 16
    It took me multiple phone calls, 9 different tech support people and two full weeks to properly get my Veloster registed to MyHyundai.com and onto Blue Link.In Hyundais favor though, they never gave up trying until I was fully satisfied and fully set.
    This is typical of Hyundai support which I have found outstanding through now my 7th Hyundai, and, yes,I had the '86 Excel.They over support their product, are anxious to please in any way they can.
    I would never hesitate to recommend a Hyundai to any one who asked me.
  • gls1gls1 Member Posts: 1
    We have owned the Veloster,white with the style pkg now for 2 months. All our cars in recent history have been Toyotas and Nissan's. This is our first Hyundai. While I like the style of the car and some of the features, I am dissapointed in the lack of power the engine has and the 6 speed gearbox. Hyundai has just come out with a TSB for the engine that does help the hesitation between 1st and 2nd and gives the car a little more power,but the best that can be done on the mpg is 34 with 95% being on the open hwy. I guess the 40 mpg on the sticker was just a suggested mpg but the previous cars we owned have always beat the stickered mpg. Ive had my rounds with Hyundai on the Bluelink without satisfaction. We turned down the free trial of Blue link because of the privacy issues that have arisen from Onstar and all telematics systems. Even though we have never registered the system, we still get a commercial on screen everytime we start the car. Hyundai says they cannot stop this even though its just an app or software in the system. Im glad for everybody that has a Veloster and loves it. Ill go back to a Toyota next time. Maybe my expectations were too high for Hyundai to meet
  • vitaminjnutvitaminjnut Member Posts: 5
    So far so good with my Veloster. Indeed it is more eco than sporty; I am getting ~35-36 per tank at about 80% Hwy/20% City driving. I have the base model and am pretty pleased with the basic amenities. Head rest has not been a problem (I'm 5'8"). The doors seem long so I am having to be careful opening them in tight parking spaces otherwise I have no major complaints thus far in my 2+ months of ownership. I do get the prolonged stares on the highway. I do wonder about who will come out with a compatible bike rack system for it.
  • iv6teciv6tec Member Posts: 14
    To all you Veloster owners that are raving about what a great car company Hyundai is and what great service and customer care they provide, take a few minutes and check out the Santa Fe and Sonata transmission problem forums. I'm sure those owners would not hesitate to NOT recommend Hyundai products. I also own a 2007 Santa Fe and it is my first and last Hyundai.
  • drew11mdrew11m Guest Posts: 85
    edited December 2011
    So you dont like your 07 Santa Fe? Noted. Very different car than a Veloster or Accent or Elantra