Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Sewing machine like noise when accelerating - when COLD only

jabrankojabranko Member Posts: 1
I have a noise on my 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0 w/ CVT tranny & 55,000 miles.

When the car first starts in the morning and I accelerate from a stop, it makes this annoying tap-tap-tap noise, that makes the engine just sound really loud, that goes very quickly and seems to be in sync with how hard I hit the gas. The engine purrs like a kitten and is pretty quiet when at idle in Park, neutral, drive and reverse - the noise only comes when I accelerate (it doesn't occur if I rev in in park). It goes away somewhere after 2000-2500 RPMS and is gone completely (or at least barely there) after about 10 minutes of driving. The car has been meticulously taken care of and had all oil changes and everything done on time so I'm confused - and scared - about what is wrong.

I always blare the radio so I'm pretty sure this could've been there for a while but I don't really know - I've only had the car for 6 months. I just heard it by accident when the radio was off first thing in the morning.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    malachymalachy Member Posts: 17
    I dropped mine off at the dealer and left it overnight. They heard the ticking when they cranked it up the next morning (winter weather). They looked at it, and reported back to me that Nissan corporate said to expect it. My ticking is exactly as you described.
  • Options
    staymstaym Member Posts: 1
    Just so you know there was a recall on the 2007: Service brakes,hydraulic,foundations components and master cyclinder. If you go right on Nissian and put in your car info it will come up. This recall caused my engine to be replaced at 30,000. Right now my car is at nissian with 70,000 and they are putting in a new transmission and replacing the air flow system. They did extend the wareenty on the transmission to 120,000 because of many problems with it. I also am going to fight that the air flow system be included. I had brought it back when the engine was still covered and they said there was nothing wrong with the second one.

The mass airflow sensor (MAF) in your Nissan vehicle measures the amount of air going into the engine

If the MAF sensor sends the wrong signal to your car's computer--because of dirt or other contamination around its sensing elements--your engine will be fed with the wrong amount of air/fuel mixture.

If anyone else has information on this it would be helpful
  • Options
    malachymalachy Member Posts: 17
    I posted something about this as well. According to Nissan, it is the fuel injectors making all the racket before the engine is warmed up. Once my temp gauge gets to normal operating temp, the ticking goes away. The engine is noisy even after it warms up. it is the nature of the engine and tranny. I have read car reviews where it has been described as "agricultural" meaning tractor- like. I wouldn't worry too much. But if you are unsure, bring it down.
  • Options
    cherryvalleycherryvalley Member Posts: 1
    I have basically the same problem. Mine is Sentra 2010 2.0 CVT which I bought 3 months ago. It sounds like a tractor when I give gas. I am sure it has something to do with the fuel injector. But at high speed the noise is gone. I am going to take it to the dealer and hope they won't tell me this is normal.
  • Options
    rgossnrgossn Member Posts: 1
    Yes, this is a common problem on this engine.
    When cold makes a knocking noise. But with the time, this noise becomes louder and occurs even when the engine is hot (much lower).
    My car is only 20k miles, 2 years, and Nissan is rebuilding the engine. The problem that causes this noise is the IMPROPER PERFORMANCE OF THE PISTON RINGS that leaves the oil goes to top of piston, causing carbon deposit, and after some months can even lock the rings.
    The consequences depends the kind of use. If you use your car in low speeds and little time (like me, 10minutes, 4 miles from home to work) the consequences are worse and quicker.

The Nissan did not recall because it does not cause safety problems, but after that, Nissan never more.
  • Options
    tweak3rtweak3r Member Posts: 1
    just bought my 2009 sentra 2.0 last month with 67000km, and I noticed the same thing when I went for my initial test drive in it. I figured it was just regular cold start up noise, until I drove it for a couple of weeks and found that the sound still persisted after warming up. I took it in to the dealership, and they said it's a common problem with models around that year. they ended up replacing the underside of my engine (I think? not a huge car guy), which was covered under the warranty I bought with them.

the noise is gone now, so I guess everything's alright. just glad that they didn't chalk it up as a sound that is "to be expected"
  • Options
    angel_612angel_612 Member Posts: 1
    Can any help me with mine this noise has been going on For like a year but never had a problem but now it's getting really annoying. The noise only happens when in drive upon accelerating and in reverse also.
    http://youtu.be/MCFcBgu33xM