Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How much for a 2001 Subaru Outback is reasonable?

angeldownangeldown Member Posts: 4
edited September 2014 in Subaru
L.L. BEAN subaru outback 2001, 13W miles on it.
The seller wants $7250 for it. Edmunds private party value is around $6700.
I think the price is ridiculous for a 10 year old car with such high mileage. Is it normal that Subaru outback tends to have high resale value?
Also I read somewhere 2000-2004 outback models tend to have head gasket problem and it's costly to repair.

I am still hesitating. But there are not many choices in my area since it is a very small place.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Head gasket issues did not affect the H6.

It's a find, but deal down the price.
  • Options
    What does H6 mean? Does it refer to the LL bean edition?
    the seller originally asked for $7500. They lowered the price to $7250 after some negotiation.

What price would be reasonable for this car?
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    H6 is the engine type. Subaru offered two boxer engines in that year: The 2.5L "H4" and the 3.0L H6. The LL Bean edition used the H6 exclusively, I do believe.

As for a reasonable price, I think it depends somewhat on where you are located (resale varies by region) and whether the car comes with a complete maintenance/repair history. How many miles on the car? Your original post in indicates 13W...?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Sorry. it's a typo. The car already has 134K miles on there.
    The seller is very firm on the price
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Okay, well, there's still life there. If the car is in excellent condition (interior, exterior, mechanical), as good tires on it, and has a maintenance history, I think it is a good price for my region (Alaska). The same may hold true for New England. If there is no maintenance history, I would automatically bump 10% off the asking price as my top offer just because I think that information is critical to knowing your baseline. Without it, you may need that extra $750 for initial maintenance and repairs. At the age and mileage, you may need to replace all fluids, possibly CV boots or half-shafts, etc.

Local availability may be limited, but no car is the only fish in the sea (well, no modern, daily driver sort of car!), so if you have to pass on it, just pass on it. In the end, you should feel good about purchasing a car, so don't force yourself to pull the trigger if the price doesn't sit right with you.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It's too high a price, keep searching. I bet it won't sell. Give the seller your number and ask him to call you if he drops the asking price.
This discussion has been closed.