Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Did anything change in the engine from the 2009 to the 2011 Legacy?

pilot1226pilot1226 Member Posts: 166
edited September 2014 in Subaru
Hi,

30k service coming up, with the owner's manual suggesting a replacement of the spark plugs in my 09 Legacy Limited 2.5i...

I noticed that in the 2011 Legacy, they now suggest plug replacement at 50k miles - was wondering if they are the same engine, and if I could hold off on the seemingly unnecessary plug replacement for another 20k miles.

Thanks,
Pilot

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Non-Turbo motors require plug replacement at 30k intervals. Turbo cars require them at 60k intervals. This is because they use Platinum plugs on the Turbo cars and Copper on the non Turbo cars. So on your 2.5i you would need plugs.

Here is an example of what we do for 30k services:

http://azpinstalls.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=79-

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
  • pilot1226pilot1226 Member Posts: 166
    Thanks for the response Mike, I went to your shop's website. Seems like a nice deal. I haven't been running synthetic yet, wondering if it's worth it at this point, since I already have 30k on the car. I imagine if I went with a synthetic oil, I could skip an oil change and make it 7500 miles to my next service?

I'll privately message you with some other questions I had about the 30k service you'd advertised.

On a funnier note, the local Subaru shop told me that the cabin air filter replacement was $125. I almost hung up on them immediately but wanted a quote for the spark plug replacement too - 210 if I wanted platinums in there so I can skip this service in another 30k and I can do it at 90k.

Thought you'd get a kick out of that. I've replaced my cabin filters before, I think it took a whole 10 minutes... And something tells me the part itself isn't more than a quarter of the price!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The cabin filter is actually on the pricey side, I'm not sure why but it is.

That is hysterically funny that they want $210 to do the plugs on a non-turbo.

$210 isn't a bad price on a turbo car due to the placement, but it's significantly easier on the NA cars.

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    That REALLY is funny (about the cabin filter that is) I have a 2008 Outback and am just about to turn 25k Miles. I have purchased a Cabin (3rd party)filter made by a company called Microban. (probably just distributed by them, who knows who IN CHINA actually manufactured it :P

I did not know that they use copper plugs...I will surely replace them now (5000 miles early with Japanese plugs, not German plugs. generally I use Japanese plugs in cars branded Asian, and German plugs in autos like BMW etc. ie: European vehicles. it seems that they are less prone to backing out that wayl Luckily Iridium plugs are not recommended for the H4 Motor ( Great plugs, but may cause the check light to come on and poor performance... :confuse:

I do follow the manual's specified change INTERVAL OR SOONER. OUR AIR QUALITY IS TERRIBLE! Lots of sand, dried out leaves and a whole bunch more. nasty stuff. I own a long haired Border Collie, and her hair was all over the place in my last change! She sheds while just walking by the Outback and riding occasionally inside!

It seems to be at least of the same quality as the OEM Subie cabin filter, perhaps a bit better

The part # is Microban 3962. Just pulled the box...It is distributed bt Ozark Automotive Products, Springfield Missouri in the US (LOL) and made in China. Each distributor in china probably has its own table in the same factory

If you have never changed out (at least the 2008-2009) Outback cabin filter...It is a bit more of a PIA than) OTHER VEHICLES. Just google for it and you will find excellent articles with Pictures as well. It should not take the average person more than 15 minutes (even the 1st time) but it is a PIA Geez $125. Sounds like they are charging the full hour's labor (about $80) and around $45 for the "OFFICIAL" Subaru filter...Sounds like my own dealer.

I just opened the box and it states OE: 87139-47010...also fits Mazda and Toyota and the following parts are cross referenced:
    Purolator C35516
    Hastings: AF1154
    Wix: 24875 (note: I usually purchase my oil and air filters from Napa (Supplied by Wix - GOLD, not the silver ones) I like their products!
    ATP RA-8
    GKI CF1060
    I hope this info helps everyone else out as well..having multiple choices are always good.

Best of all you DO NOT have to be blessed by the good tooth fairy to install one! LOL
This discussion has been closed.