Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Odyssey Engine Sound

barubaru Member Posts: 2
I am unhappy with the engine idle sound of my 2011 Odyssey and wonder if it is normal or a defect. When the engine is fully heated up (after some driving), I start hearing diesel-like engine sound (periodic sound commonly found in old engine, not big though) when I stoped (when RPM is round 0.5~0.6). Are there anyone concerned about this kind of problem? My 5 years old 4-cylinder Honda accord never has this kind of sound. Quite disappointed about the engine sound in V6 2011 Odyssey. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    Mine idles quietly and smoothly at around 750 rpms. Bought it back in October after the new model came out.
  • Options
    coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    It might the Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) engine "pinging" noise after the engine reaches normal operating temperature.
  • Options
    barubaru Member Posts: 2
    But VCM is off at Idle if I am not mistaken. And can I get a more hint about what "pingping" sound is?

Thanks,
  • Options
    sickofhonda2sickofhonda2 Member Posts: 4
    they called mine a spark knock and wont fix it im looking to trade mine in for a toyota...
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Then what will you do when and if the Toyota develops some insignificant noise?
  • Options
    chancedogchancedog Member Posts: 2
    what do you mean..."they won't fix it!" Have you called American Honda?
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I suspect it's a sound that they either can't duplicate or is a normal sound to them. If in fact, it a real problem they certainly can and will fix it and if not, a call to American Honda would be in order.

I have never seen Honda not take care of a legimate problem.
  • Options
    :), get a Chrysler?
  • Options
    My bad, you are correct, I misread your problem
  • Options
    aokiaoki Member Posts: 11
    My 2011 Touring with about 7000 miles has had a tinny/metallic tinging sound but only under load and accelerating. Had dealer investigate thinking it was caused by predetonation (ping) and possibly due to a faulty knock sensor--a problem with some earlier Odysseys. They tightened an exhaust heat shield but didn't find fault with the sensor. Still makes sounds (tinny shound and an induction roar when secondary air intake chamber opens) under hard acceleration or under load but "ssems" to be getting better. I will monitor this forum and tsbs in the meantime.
  • Options
    cooljoe613cooljoe613 Member Posts: 3
    i also hear some kind of extra noise when i first hit the gas hard (3500 rpm) its not just the engine revving... its a distinct noise i cant describe it....

i also have the shudder when i release the gas at 25-30 mph...

is this normal im used to a 4 cylinder Camry....
  • Options
    aokiaoki Member Posts: 11
    Just had my van in for further inspection of my tinny/ringing noise from the engine compartment on acceleration under load--like going up a grade. Turns out that the ringing sound is not an engine ping. The noise is from heat shielding mesh placed around the front axles which when vibrating under certain conditions and leading, will make the noise I've been hearing. The good news is that it is not an engine problem. The technician worked on the shielding and most of the noise is gone or muted now. Another sound which is normal is an (air) induction sound made during acceleration but this sound is continuous during hard acceleration.

Can't help you with the shudder. My van doesn't have any at this time.