Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Toyota Highlander

sixth_gearsixth_gear Member Posts: 5
I have a window of 6 months to make my purchase of an SUV. Since I had to wait due to Tsunami, I am wondering if I could wait a few months longetr than Toyota's resumption in production (expected October) to get the latest model rather than buying a 2011 model in Nov 2011.
Does anyone has any idea if Toyota is going to come up with 2012 Highlander in November or December, or they'll continue with 2011 model.

Comments

• johnsuvjohnsuv Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in purchasing a 2011 Toyota Highlander . Does anyone have experience negotiating
    the best out the door price with Toyota Dealerships ? Selection would appear to lessen as the year end approaches but there should be increased incentives with remaining models ? How do you know your getting the most value for your money ?
  • luckysevenluckyseven Member Posts: 134
    I wouldn't count on better initiatives for 2011 Highlanders any time soon because dealers don't have too many of them in stock. Toyota dealers here (in Cleveland) had stopped advertizing Highlanders in local papers back in spring.
  • johnsuvjohnsuv Member Posts: 2
    I'm patient and willing to wait for new production on 2012 . Thank you
  • natgyanatgya Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,

We just signed a purchase order for a 2012 Highlander. It goes into production on 30 Aug and should be delivered to the dealership in Ottawa sometime in mid-Sept. :shades:
  • jmcgaheyjmcgahey Member Posts: 3
    does anyone know if you can add remote start to a 2012 Highlander LTD AWD, the dealer says they can't because it has a push button start- the website shows it as an accessory rather than a factory installed option---i get the sense that the dealer doesn't know what they are talking about----------anyone with information?
  • lindsay24lindsay24 Member Posts: 1
    Hopefully yours comes in as planned. I had ordered a 2011 on May 21 2011 and found out at the beginning of August that I will be getting a 2012. The unfortunate thing is that although Toyota's system shows the car as scheduled to be produced in Aug 2011, it still has not been made yet. This is out of a fairly large dealer in Toronto but they are not able to offer an explanation as to the delay.

We shall see but it sounds like things are a little challenging right now as they try to re-group after the tsunami.
  • victord1victord1 Member Posts: 94
    Hi, all. I'm interested in the HL Limited w/ navigation. I understand that it also includes the backup camera on the navigation screen. But, does anybody know if the backup camera also displays distant lines, guidelines, or proximity lines to help with backing up?????

My sister 2011 CX9 GT backup camera displays those lines, and I found them to be very helpful.

Thanks.
  • nikon5400nikon5400 Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2011
    Breaking in your new Toyota
    For the first 621 miles
    1. do not drive at extremely high speeds
    4. do not drive at constant speed for extended periods

Questions:
    1. what is extremely high speed?
    2. what is extended period?

I decided to save money on the tech package, but would like to see if I can add some of the features myself. If there's a discussion on upgrade options, can you please provide a link?

I'd like to know if I can add\change some the following:
    1. Multi-information display
    2. rear camera
    3. USB input jacks (the stereo in the base model is different than the one with tech package. If there's no easy way to add usb, I guess I could use AUX to USB cable?)
    4. Bluetooth. Can you recommend a good one?
    5. Steering wheel-mounted audio controls. The least needed option, but if it's easy to add I'd go for it.

All these things are nice to have that's why I didn't feel like they are worth the $1800 tech package.

I'd like to know if the wiring is already in place and it's just the matter of plugging in a new device.

Another thing -
    I tend to slide of the seat even after adjusting the angle. I don't know if the seats with tech package are any different in regards to this, but I figured some kinds of a leather seat cover could do the trick as long as it doesn't interfere with air bag system.
    Also, base doesn't have lumbar support. I wonder if anyone has problem with it and what is the possible solution.

Thanks
  • toyotacust1toyotacust1 Member Posts: 3
    I recently bought 2012 Highlander SE. I have 300 miles; I noticed that after starting car, when I push brake paddle to put it in the drive, I hear small rattle kind of noise coming from under the hood. It goes away when start driving but if I keep pressing brake paddle and car is in the P gear then it keeps producing rattle noise for minute or two and then it goes away. I read manual and it says noise due to ABS, VSC, TRAC, EBD etc. I hope that is the case.

It is annoying to hear this in new 36K vehicle. Does anybody else have this experience?
  • teebone413teebone413 Member Posts: 3
    Hi

i have a limited and wanted to know how the power folding mirrors work. i tried many searches and came up with nothing. the only mention of it that i could find in the owners manual is on pg 98 and 289 (iirc)

thanks for you help.
  • scorestudscorestud Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2012 HL and the power back door does not seem to be working. Whether I use the button by the steering wheel, on the remote, or on the back door itself, all that happens is the car beeps twice and the door doesn't move on its own. Is there a setting that needs to be changed somewhere. I've tried with the doors locked and unlocked and nothing seems to help. Any ideas?
  • yorfyorf Member Posts: 7
    Hi. I have a 2008. Same thing happened to me. There's a master switch located in the glove box. It's on the left hand side. I must have accidently pushed the button when I changed the cabin air filter. Accessed through the glove box. Here's a link to the manual showing it's existance and location. Page 69 of the manual or 38 based on the Adobe reader's system.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM48851U/pdf/sec_01-02.pdf
  • scorestudscorestud Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, I appreciate the help! That turned out to be what it was and I don't recall reading that in the manual, but there it is!
  • flattyreflattyre Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same issue. I noticed today when dropping someone off and when they opened the door I could hear it. It stops when I start moving forward and I can reproduce it by doing as you said, depressing the brak pedal and the letting off. It rattles for a few seconds and then stops as though it's a caliper returning to position or fluid returning to the master cylinder or maybe even the pedal returning but its definitely not something I should be hearing on a brand new vehicle with only 300 miles on it. I'm calling the service people tomorrow morning. Did you ever hear anything? Did it go away on its own?
  • rvjr72674rvjr72674 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I just purchased the 2012 Highlander Limited and the main power switch for the back door is in the glove compartment front passenger side of the vehicle. I see this is a late reply. But just in case.
  • mromanermromaner Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering the same. Just bought mine. Supposedly comes with power folding mirrors. Can't figure out how to activate.
    Just bought a very slightly used 2012 (900 miles) Toyota Highlander Limited with all the toys. Damn, I love this car. Traded for a Porsche Cayman S. I know that's totally crazy. But this car is amazing. What's wrong with me?
    Aren't there supposed to be parking lines on the screen when you put the car in reverse and activate the parking camera? Not on mine. Any thoughts?
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    edited November 2012
    I have a 2012 Limited and no it does not come with power folding mirrors. It comes with a folding feature meaning you can manually fold in the side view mirrors. Also does not come with the lines to help guide you when backing up. They should include Rear Parking sensors along with the camera like Ford Fusion, Explorer, and Edge and the Kia Sorento and optima. Also available on many of the Hyundai vehicles. That camera is pretty useless at judging distances from the rear bumper in my opinion. Good for seeing what's behind you, but adding the sensors would take the guess work out of the distance between the car and another car or pole. Of course adding the lines would help greatly as well. Probably will show up on the redesigned 2014.

Like you I love our Highlander even though it lacks some of the features you might expect in a $40K vehicle. Such as Memory Seat settings, Cooled driver seat, and maybe a panoramic roof option. There are several othe things that I had on a loaded Mountaineer and what you can even get on the Sorento SX that you would expect on the Highlander. Enjoy your new ride.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • ohiodriver1ohiodriver1 Member Posts: 6
    I bought a new 2012 Highlander Limited. Mostly I'm really pleased. But, I'm wondering whether any other 2012 owner has noticed the transmission seems to struggle to find the right gear when starting out and proceeding slowly forward? I've asked the service department and they say it's normal - tied to the sensors trying to maximize fuel efficiency. It doesn't clunk, but more of a hesitation. It doesn't happen when I'm fully accelerating... usually happens in parking lots/school zones/side streets after a stop.
  • luckysevenluckyseven Member Posts: 134
    How long ago did you buy it? It is possible that transmission still learning your driving style.
    Bought it in March 2012. It has 9,000 miles.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I have a 2012 Highlander Limited 4WD which my wife drives 95% of the time. I usually only drive it on the weekends or on trips like the one this coming weekend when we go to Pittsburgh to visit our families. We bought it back in May and only have about 3900 miles on it. I have not noticed any issues with the transmission. Is your's a FWD? Maybe that would make a difference. Since your Tag is Ohiodriver I am assuming you live in Ohio like myself where most people tend to buy the 4WD with the winters we sometimes get.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
    correct - we have the AWD version. I'm the primary driver, so it's mostly me. My wife noticed it too, so I'm at least not the only one. I hope it's just adapting to my driving. Thanks.