Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stay Away From Wayne Mazda!

carguy622carguy622 Member Posts: 16
edited October 2014 in Mazda
A Tale of Two Miatas

Wayne Mazda had two 2006 used Maitas on the lot. There was a gray one with approx. 60,000 miles and a blue one with approx. 30,000 miles. The gray one was priced at $15,000 and the blue one was priced at $17,000.

I requested a quote on the blue one and offered $15,000. They instead send me pricing for the gray one at $15,000. I called them up and let them know that it’s not the gray one I am interested in, but the blue one. They e-mailed me a quote of $15,595 on the blue one. I called up and said I will buy the car for $15,000. He said it was a deal, and I had him e-mail me the quote in writing. I confirmed that it was for the blue car and checked to stock numbers to make sure they matched.

I drove 45 minutes to the dealership, confirmed the price with the salesman and then took it for a test drive after thoroughly inspecting it. When I got back at the dealership to work up the papers I asked if they could fix a large scratch on the bumper or take another $100 off. At this point the salesman, who was very nice, went to the manager to talk things over. The salesman came back and said there must be a mistake, this must be the price is for the gray one. I showed him my e-mail, confirmed the stock numbers with him, and then printed it out. He brought it to his manager who came over to me and said that it was a mistake, but they can sell it for $15,995. He said they are losing money even at that price. I then left, angry and disappointed.

Moral of the story… Wayne Mazda is your typical sleazy car dealership when it comes to working the final numbers; its only redeeming quality was the great salesman. Yet car dealers wonder why they get such a bad rap?

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    edited August 2011
    So the moral of this story is if you would have stayed with your original offering of $15K you would have now had the blue Miata, but since you changed your offer to 14.9K because of this little scratch, you lost the car you wanted.

I got a great little red one, a "91" with 50K original miles on it, you could have for 14.9K, no scratches ! I'm only 1 1/2 hrs. away from Wayne Mazda.
  • carguy622carguy622 Member Posts: 16
    No, the moral of the story is they wouldn't even sell me the car for $15,000, regardless of the scratch (which was far from little, and had already been touched up badly, which did not show up in the photos online). The lowest they would go was $15,995, and they said they were losing money even at that price. Typical.

Way to get on your high horse.
    I would have asked the person who gave you the quote "in writing" to take the $995.00 off of their commission for misleading you.
    I should e-mail him, and let him know I was mislead.

By the way, he e-mailed me my quotes, on the company banner, with the stock number clearly listed, and the price of $15,000. Sad thing is, if they pushed the scratch issue and told me that was the best price they could give me I would have taken the car home then and there. It was a nice Miata, but there are others out there!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sounds like the old bait-and-switch. Run away, who knows what else that dealer is dishonest about, and they prep and recondition that car for you.
    Well, I did run away. I ran to Palisades Mazda and picked up a brand new 2011 Miata Sport in True Red instead!

I can't wait to pick it up on Wednesday.
    Congrats!

Manual or auto?
    Thanks! It's a manual. I got the sport model with the 5 speed.
    Sweet...mine's a 6 speed manual, but my 6th is shorter than your fifth, believe it or not!
    Nice! I believe it. The "overdrive" on both the 5 and 6 speed hardly are, but it get's good gas milage none the less.

This is not my first Miata. I also had a 2008 Sport model with the 5 speed. It was a 2 year lease. I gave it back last September, but I've missed it so much in all that time that I decided I wanted to buy one to keep for the long hall. It's certainly not a practical car, but I have my paid for 2006 TSX for winter and road trips with more than one person.

What year is your Miata? Color?
    08 Touring model with the Sport package, dark blue, power hard top.

I had a 93 before this one and the top was vandalized so I really wanted the helmet this time.
    I guess it's safe to say Wayne's loss is your gain! Good luck with your new ride and enjoy!

M ake
    I t
    A
    T op down
    A fternoon
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    Wayne Mazda had two 2006 used Maitas on the lot. There was a gray one with approx. 60,000 miles and a blue one with approx. 30,000 miles. The gray one was priced at $15,000 and the blue one was priced at $17,000.

You already lowballed them. Maybe the scratch was already baked into the price when they took $2000 off to begin with. Now I know all too well that some Mazda dealers will play BS games (like the one that claimed they were making no money during the employee pricing, when their bump-sticker and doc fee brought the price back up to MSRP), but with this one, I dare say you played poker and lost.

Looking at some of the other listings of Miatas of that age, $17K for a Grand Touring with those miles is not bad, and $15K is an absolute steal!
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    It has to be remembered that there are always at least two sides to every story. We have a poster who, right or wrong is upset and has chosen to bad mouth a store, using their name on a public forum.

I know I'm being cynical here but for all we know, this could be a competitor or a disgruntled ex employee throwing mud.

Or, it could have been an honest mistake.
    Doesn't matter, they had a contract that they should have honored.

I think the gambling looser in this game was Wayne Mazda !
    "PUBLIC" being the key word.

Honest misstake or dishonest mistake they should have honored the contract.

"I know I'm being cynical here but for all we know, this could be a competitor or a disgruntled ex employee throwing mud"

Or just a disgruntled customer as he should be.
    Maybe it was a mistake, which I understand, that happens, but I called and confirmed the price and the car. I got the e-mail in writing with the correct stock number and price.

Moreover, the first price he gave me was over the sticker of the car they said they quoted me on. Lies all around basically.

At the end of the day, the transaction with Palisades Mazda was super smooth. I got a price, went to another dealer, called back Palisades and said give me the car for X and I will buy it right now. He said yes, I drove back and bought it. He made some money, I saved some money, everyone it happy!

The best was that Wayne Mazda e-mailed me to see if everything went well. I said no, I got lied to on the agreed price, but don't worry about it, I bought a new Miata from Palisades Mazda.
    The price for the vehicle from Edmunds TMV was a touch under $15,000. So I felt that $15,000 was more than fair. KBB did have a much higher price for the car, but when I went to trade my car in dealers always told me KBB overprices cars, they can't have it both ways.
    ...this was probably for the best. I get a new Miata for a few grand more, 0% for 60 months, and a few features the 2006 didn't have (trip computer, variable speed wipers, AUX in). Plus this dealer I bought it from is 5 minutes from me, Wayne Mazda was over 30.
    I don't doubt his story but it's so easy to get on a public forum and blast a business when the business usually can't respond.
    I understand where you're coming from, but hopefully you're a reasonable salesman who doesn't pull a stunt like this.

I'm used to the back and forth of buying a car, but this was an outright lie. I confirmed the vehicle and price multiple times. The information was in writing, I figured I was set, I was ready to make my move and buy, and when I got there the salesman confirmed the price, only to have the sales manager put the brakes on it when I was ready to write up the paper work.
    After many years of upper retail management and my last 13.5 years with Honda I retired last year.

I would have never done anything like that. Why lure in a customer with a lie that is going to only cause trouble?

Our store made an occassional mistake and we would simply take the loss when we did.

We once put the wrong sale tag on a new Civic and, naturally a customer jumped all over it. It represented almost a 2000.00 loss but we ate it.

So, you have new smeared them through the mud and, I suppose that is your right.

Maybe they are a sleaseball store and if su, they deserved it.
    My intention was not to drag them through the mud, but rather hold them accountable for their actions. When you worked at Honda, your dealership did the right thing. I've never done anything like this before, but I've also never been as put off as this before.

For what it's worth, when a car dealership is good to me, like Palisades Mazda, I will sing their praises to anyone who will listen.

This isn't hard, just be honest, that's what I try to do. I actually felt really bad for the salesman. We were about the same age, and he had just lost his previous job and was now selling cars. Nice friendly guy, great test drive, and he lost the sale to this "mistake".
    Before slamming them on this forum, did you ask to speak to the General Manager?

Have you looked at other reviews on this store and, if so, did you look at them before going in?

I'm not defending them. There are a lot of sleasy stores out there and I had to live with that stigma. I got lucky and I picked a great store.

You seem legit and it seems they deserved what you did.
    The gentleman who came over to me and told me it was a mistake introduced himself as the Manager.

A friend of mine went to that exact dealership in 2009 to buy a new Miata or Mazda3. She said that they did not budge on the price and warned me that they were sleazy before I went there. I told her, "They are the only ones with a used one in the blue I like, plus I have the quote in writing, what can go wrong?". She said don't count your chickens before they have hatched, and I guess she was right. Live and learn!

I wish I had the salesman's name, because I want to write to the dealer and let them know what a great salesman he was. I've recently dropped two such letters in the mail to Infiniti and Mini since those salesmen were great too. I remembered selling electronics in Sears, and though it was rare, it was awesome when someone would let my manager know I was a great salesman, so I figure I would do the same for them!
    In a former life, I was a Division Manager for the largest Sears store on the West Coast. I was the youngest DM in the store.

Letters didn't come very often but they were very much appreciated.

If the only reason your friend thought the store was sleazy was because they wouldn't budge on the price, that's not reallya fair assesment.

At the time, those models may have been in short supply (like a lot of cars are right now) and it may have made no sense to discount them.

But, there may have been other reasons too.

Writing a letter to the owner or GM outlining what happened while giving praise to your salesperson would be a great thing for you to do!
    it's so easy to get on a public forum and blast a business when the business usually can't respond

While that's true, the trolls are usually first-time posters who publish their rant and then disappear. That's not the case here.
    Yes, I know and the follow up posts made me realize it's for real.
    "The best was that Wayne Mazda e-mailed me to see if everything went well. I said no, I got lied to on the agreed price, but don't worry about it, I bought a new Miata from Palisades Mazda"

Good for you!
    "Our store made an occassional mistake and we would simply take the loss when we did.

We once put the wrong sale tag on a new Civic and, naturally a customer jumped all over it. It represented almost a 2000.00 loss but we ate it"

As any reputable business would!
    edited August 2011
    " As any reputable business would"

Exactly.

Now, a funny story I've told before.

A few years ago, we had a Red Tag sale and most of our new car inventory had red tags hanging form the rear view mirrors.

Tagging the lot was a huge job for the Lot Attendants and they followed a list.

Well, we made a HUGE mistake! We tagged an Odyssey at a price that would have lost us over 2500.00! Simply a matter of putting the wrong tag in the wrong car.

A large family landed on this car.

Knowing a mistake had been made, the salesperson brought the tag to our Sales Manager. It was like, OMG!!!

But...believe it or not, these people actually offered LESS!!

So, I went out and explained to them what had happened. I told them we were willing to take this huge loss.

Didn't matter! They still offered less.

So, I told them..." I will honor this price NOW...if you leave, I will change the tag and put on the correct price.

This resulted in a huddle where they discussed this in their native tongue.

" No!..We will pay you XXXX"

Me..." we really hope you do leave because I am not kidding,,,I will change the tag as soon as you leave our lot"

And so, they left.

Two hours later, they screamed into our showroom...." We take the car!"

" OK, great! It's still a great deal at the revised price!"

I know what they did. They spent those tow hours frantically driving to the neighboring Honda stores trying to get a better deal than our mismarked tag"

They left slowly shaking their heads.

We dodged a huge bullet that day!
    Had they done their homework, they would have known it was mis-priced.

Not an educated consumer...
    They simply outsmarted themselves.

What a happy day that was for me!
This discussion has been closed.