Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Maybach fades into the sunset, leaving ultra-lux field to Rolls and Bentley

scott1256scott1256 Member Posts: 531
edited November 2011 in Maybach
Per the Wall Street Journal, Daimler is axing the entire Maybach car line.
Mercedes will introduce several upscale S-class models including a recreation of the old 600 Pullman type.
It doesn't sound like these new S class models will really compete in the RR/Bentley ultra-luxury niche.
Maybach sales in the US are estimated at 44 (!!!) for all of 2012.
I expected Daimler to keep the Maybach brand going as a matter of pride - this is a surprise!

Comments

• Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,474
    Maybach was simply a failed experiment. From what I read it was a good enough car to be an alternative to the Rolls or Bentley, but it just never established itself in the minds of potential customers. It may have been its Mercedes-like looks, but more likely the name had just lost its caché because it was unused for so long.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    You can always buy a "pseudo-Maybach" the Hyundai Equus for less than 10% the price of a real Maybach.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,219
    I always thought the Maybach had a very Daewoo front end. Something kind of dumpy about the styling, and who does that better than KDM designers...
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...the resale value of a Maybach has dropped like a lead brick tossed off the Empire State Building. Maybe we'll see Maybach's leftover inventory sold at the Triplex in Cherry Hill?
    Maybe I'll soon see this commercial between segments of Jerry Springer and Maury?

"$99 Down! $99 a month for life on a new, never-titled 2007 Maybach 57! Bad Credit? No Credit? No Job? No Problem! Come on down to Cherry Hill Kia-Mitsubishi-Maybach right now! What are you waiting for?"
  • Options
    I had never seen the Daewoo resemblance, but you're right!
  • Options
    Yes, it will be a tough sell.

The Maybach dealers that invested $1,000,000+ in 'Maybach Salons' will also take a hit.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,219
    The grille reminded me of one, combine that with the body design which kind of resembles a Chinese S-class copy, and you don't have a recipe for timeless character.