Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Kia Rio5: Real Time Fuel Economy (MPG).

phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
edited September 2014 in Kia
So far with just under 1000 miles driven and a month and a half of ownership, the fuel economy on my 2012 Kia Rio5 is quite disappointing, 26 mpg city and 36 mpg highway. My 2011 Ford Fiesta (without) GDI got constant 33 mpg city and 41 mpg highway with A/C always on and the car driven hard. It was the (only) vehicle I ever owned where the actual mpg achieved was actually "higher" the the EPA Estimates. Hoping the Rio`s numbers will improve with more miles driven.

Comments

• uncorroborateduncorroborated Member Posts: 1
    Hi Phill1,

I too am experiencing similiar results with the my 2012 Rio5 SX using the onboard "Average Fuel Economy".

However, my commute to work is nothing but stop signs and and stop lights for 2 miles in a college town.

Whenever I get on the highway/interstate the MPG seems to hover around 45 on level road--I assume this using the bar graph for the live MPG monitor (which only has 3 numbers: 0, 30, and 60, and I have to guess where I fall in between).

One thing I have noticed, my car has a "Eco" mode and when I turn the Eco mode off I seem to get better gas milage and the car is more fun to drive.

For my next tank I will drive with Eco off. The tank after that will be Eco on and I will post the results. I will compare the results with the Carango App on my android.

I never expected to get the EPA City Average posted on the sticker considering my commute, but it is a bummer to hear your results compared to another car.

I am still pleased with my purchase because the Rio5 SX is a damn sexy car--best looking unmodified compact ever with a warranty to match.
  • phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    Your 2012 Kia Rio5 SX has an "Active Eco" Mode Switch? Odd, mine nor any other 2012 Kia Rio5 that I have seen has this switch. Kia said that only the vehicles equipped with the Idle/Stop/&Go option would have that switch. Odd, since (all) the 2012 Hyundai Accents have it, go figure? Not that I really miss it, seems to me that your driving habits and gentle gas pedal operation would accomplish the same end result. My gas milage is not measured by the cars onboard computer estimates but simply dividing the gallons of fuel consumed into the mileage driven. Like I said, I don`t even have a 1000 miles driven yet and perhaps the fuel economy (may) improve in the future. I will discuss the matter with my local Kia Dealers service department for possible adjustments or other remedies if it does`nt improve after several thousand miles have been driven. Still think its the sharpest "B" segment vehicle in its class, with the sole exception of the Ford Fiesta Hatchback, which I also happen to own, LOL. They make a lovely couple, parked next to each other in my driveway.
    edited December 2011
    Forgot to mention, since I have the Base Model, LX" with the Power Package option and Automatic Transmission, I don`t have the "Supervisor" Computer Cluster that you have in the center of your Speedometer. The LX and EX Models only have a simple computer indicator below the Speedometer with trip meter, time driven, avg. MPG, etc, but has instead, the entire speedometer indicator that goes to the center of the cluster.
  • btatrbtatr Member Posts: 75
    Phil1 wrote, "One thing I have noticed, my car has a "Eco" mode and when I turn the Eco mode off I seem to get better gas milage and the car is more fun to drive. "

That's very interesting because my friend as a 2011 Forte SX who made the same claim about his vehicle. Almost all of his driving is in the city and he claims to get better fuel economy with Eco Mode turned off. I find that hard to believe but you're the 2nd person I know who made that claim.

Let us know how your experiment turned out.
    You speak of the "Eco" Mode in a 2012 Kia Rio5. For U.S. version vehicles that don`t have the "ISG" Eco option, still not available to date, there is no "Eco" Mode switch. I believe that Canadian built 2012 Kia Rio5`s as well as all 2012 Hyundai Accents have the "ECO" Mode switch, but the U.S. 2012 Kia Rio5 does not.
  • PlacemanPlaceman Member Posts: 44
    My US 2012 Rio5 SX (bought in St. Louis, MO) does have an ECO switch. It's located to the left of the steering column.
    Check out that switch to the left of the steering column. Perhaps on the 2012 Kia Rio5 "SX" you have an extra button located in that multiplex panel. Where button #11 is in your owners manual is for "Active Eco" (if equipped), my 2012 Kia Rio5 "LX" has just the black filler plate. Next to it though #12 in your owners manual is the switch for turning on and off "ESC", Electronic Stability Control, which I do have. Very odd that they deleted the "Active Eco" on the lower trim EX and LX models. Only the EX Trim will offer the ISG, idle/stop/go option that has not arrived yet which was supposed to include the "Active Eco". I`ll have to check my local Kia Dealer and see if any other EX or LX models have the extra Active Eco switch. Like I posted earlier, I thought is quite odd that the 2012 Hyundai Accent all came standard with it and its sibling cousin, the 2012 Kia Rio5 did not. Most folks that have vehicles equipped with that Active Eco feature claim very little fuel consumption improvement but significant reduction in performance. I`d probably not make use of it in my vehicle if it had it and I assume that its (default) setting would reset to on every time the engine was restarted and it would have to be turned off constantly.
    It's definitely labeled "Active ECO." I have it turned off as I've read about the same things you have. That is, it doesn't increase your fuel economy that much, but does interfere with the vehicles performance. I'm in the process of doing a test. I'm going to run a few tanks through with Active ECO off, then a couple with it on.
    Just came back from a local Kia Dealer and they only had (1) 2012 Kia Rio5 in "SX" Trim like yours. Your right, it has the 3rd button switch while my "LX" has just 2. I`ll have to check out a "EX" trim and see if it has the Active Eco mode. Perhaps only the top of the line "SX" gets it along with the "EX" if ordered with the extra cost "ISG" feature. I should`nt be surprised, the LX does`nt even get a folding armrest anymore nor a center console with storage, however in Canada, even the base "LX" trim gets Daytime Running Lights, (required by Canadian law) and the center console with storage and armrest. Can`t complain because at $16, 545 including freight, Power Window, Door Locks and remote key fob with carpeted floor mats, and the added automatic transmission, still a lot of car for the money. Would have been nice if they added the cruise control, again like what is standard in Canada but once again, here in the U.S. they can get away with it. By the way, how do you like that styrofoam box in the trunk well that holds the toy mini-air compressor and can of tire sealant goo? I went to a local junk yard and grabbed a 15`` emergency spare tire (donut) and jack-kit out of a wrecked 2007 Kia Rio5 and through that other crap out as trash! Lame excuse because the extra weight would have killed the fuel economy, right. Nothing to do with Kia and Hyundai saving a fortune on U.S. destined vehicles while Canada gets the spare tire (donut) and Australia gets a full size tire!
    Yeah, the missing spare tire caught me off guard. Personally, in my 24 years of driving, I have never had a flat tire. I only drive the thing local so the sealant would work in a pinch. If I get a side wall failure, I'll just call a local tow company whom I have a business relationship with. They'll take care of me. If I did a lot of traveling with this, I would definitely get a spare tire.
    24 years of driving an (never) a flat tire? You belong in the The Guinness Book of World Records! I always have excellent rubber on my tires but nails sometimes still find there way to cause either a slow leak (if one is lucky) or simply find the tire completely flat. Having a local tow company to help you out is fine as long as your problem is local, what if your away from home? Having to get your vehicle towed with a sidewall failure to a tire center after hours or on a holiday when simply a call to AAA to have a tire change or worse case, jack it up and change the tire ones self. Like I posted earlier, both Kia and Hyundai still provide the spare tire and jack in their respective vehicles outside the U.S. The $75 I spent for the donut spare tire and jack kit was money well spent IMO for simple peace of mind. If it costs me a half mile per gallon loss of fuel economy, so be it!
    I like to live on the edge... ;)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    24 years of driving without a single tire failure? Unbelievable. I've blown or popped at least 15 tires in my 36 years of driving, at least. And yes, it's good to have a jack and a regular-sized spare to use and to be able to have the control of doing it yourself.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    I've never blown or popped a tire while driving either, and I've been driving for about 30 years. Just lucky, I guess.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Maybe we could move back on topic...

My first full tank of gas without running in ECO mode 28MPG. Not exactly where I wanted to be, but close. I've always heard that you don't get true MPG data until the engine gets broke in (~1000 miles). I drive about 70% 30% city.
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    First fillup on our new Rio EX, manual transmission, showed the metric equivalent of 33.1 mpg on the onboard readout and it was 29.6 mpg manually calculated. My experience on other vehicles has been that these computers run optimistic, so that wasn't a surprise. For a brand-new vehicle in cold weather, most of that just driving around the city, I'm not disappointed.

Just to clarify re the earlier tire discussion, here in Canada the LX (15" steelies) also does not have a spare tire, only the sealant kit. The EX (16" alloys) does have the doughnut, though.
    edited January 2012
    I am quite surprised. The Hyundai Accent and Elantra, Canadian version both have the spare "donut", go figure. I know that Kia Canada and Kia USA have different option packages and prices. The U.S. Base line LX has no center console with storage and armrest, nor fog lights, no cruise control even when the automatic transmission and power package is added for the PW, PL, and remote Key Fob, no Active Eco switch, only standard in EX and SX trim and last but not least, no Daytime Running Lights, forget about the LED`s, not even the regular low output reduced headlamps or pilot lamps. Heated exterior rear view mirrors or steering wheel, are you kidding? We don`t need them in FL but what about if you live in MN, WI, MT, ND or SD, or upper MI or NY? We don`t even get the option of 16`` Alloy Wheels which Canada gets.
    PS: 2012 Kia Rio`s get a "Full Size" Emergency Spare Tire in Australia.
    PSS: Hope either KIa or some other outfit offers a aftermarket center console with storage and armrest for the 2012 Kia Rio5 "LX" like was manufactured for the 2011 Ford Fiesta by Boomerang Industries.
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    Yes, it's interesting how they package them differently in terms of equipment, colours, etc. The centre console with sliding armrest is a nice touch, I admit.

The DRLs don't use the headlights on ours - there's a separate lens and bulb located just below the actual headlights. I can see from pictures that US cars have the same headlamp cluster, so if there's a bulb in there on yours and you can find a way to activate it, there you go.
  • dchevdchev Member Posts: 38
    edited January 2012
    Does the 2012 Kia Rio 5 SX model have an independent suspension?
    Also, how do you like seats and ride of SX model?
    I think all the Rio5's have front independent suspension (McPherson), rear is a coupled torsion beam axle.

I think the seats are comfortable. The ride is a bit stiff, but I like it.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    that's different to my Soul as it uses the highbeam bulb only at half power. here's a photo of the Canadian LX+ auto

On my SX, that light is replaced with a strip of white LED's that activate when you turn on the parking or headlights.
    edited January 2012
    cbmorton; The U.S. version 2012 Kia Rio 5 does in fact have that opening at the bottom of the Headlamp Cluster where a bulb (Canadian) DRL goes,however unfortunately it is empty with no bulb or wiring. I was considering an aftermarket DRL Kit and have it installed however I`m afraid if anything went wrong with any electrical component, Kia would not cover the labor or repairs under its new vehicle warranty and allege that the problem was caused by the non Kia part. I can live without the Cruise Control,the Fog Lights, the Daytime Running Lights, but I (must) eventually find an aftermarket center console with armrest and storage. My 2011 Ford Fiesta did not have one, (they do for the 2012 Model) and I secured a OEM quality aftermarket unit manufactured by Boomerang Industries. They have yet to decide to design and market one yet for the 2012 Kia Rio5 "LX" U.S. version that does not have one. I simply could not justify paying an extra $800 to upgrade to the "EX" Model to get the Armrest. The other additional "EX" equipment that comes standard was not important to me.
  • aurorabdsaurorabds Member Posts: 4
    I drive 80% highway, 20,000 miles per year. I just bought a 2012 Rio5 EX for the gas mileage. My problem is the trip computer shows an average of 35.5 MPG (quite acceptable), but my actual is only 31.5 - not impressive. If the trip computer was accurate, I may not have chosen the vehicle. Anyone else having a similar issue?

Also, My rear speakers fade in and out, which I'm getting fixed during my 1,000 mile oil change.

As a side note, I do have the Eco button, and I will try to keep it off for my next mileage calculation.
    You would consider 35.5 MPG (quite acceptable) for a vehicle that was touted to get 40 MPG Highway according to both the Manufacturer and EPA ratings? I`ve driven my 2012 Kia Rio5 LX that comes (without) the Active Eco switch almost 3000 miles so far and the gas milage both City and Highway is to say the least, Un-Acceptable period! All that hype about a new 1.6 ltr engine with GDI and my old 2006 Kia Rio5 without GDI and a 4 speed automatic transmission got better fuel economy. My 2011 Ford Fiesta SE hatchback (without GDI) has produced consistent 35 MPG City and 41-43 MPG Highway since day one! As far as the radio and speakers in the new 2012 Kia Rio5, without a doubt, the worst sound of any car I have ever owned and I`ve owned dozens. Sharp looking vehicle, good performance, but terrible fuel economy and a $10 portable radio would sound better. Shame on Kia, bet they make some serious changes for the 2013 Model including putting in a folding armrest in the LX Model like they have on their Canadian vehicles. Even the 2012 Hyundai Accent GS Hatchback (U.S.) version has a fold-up armrest as my old 2006 Kia Rio5 had as well.
  • elamins1elamins1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2012 Rio Lx and I have to say I dont know if my gauges are malfunctioning already or the gas mileage is way off. I set a trip meter went about 18 miles and with the eco on my fuel range dropped by 35 miles! I understand its a fuel range but it seems like it drops about 2 miles for every mile driven.
    Are you talking about the "Active Eco" switch? Unless you have a 2012 Canadian Kia Rio5 LX, the U.S. spec vehicle has (no) such "Active Eco" Button. Only the EX and SX Trim Lines have it. If you referring to Economy as in MPG, your gauges are (not) malfunctioning. I get about 30 MPG City with my 2012 Kia Rio5 LX with Automatic Transmission and (maybe) squeeze about 33/34 MPG with strictly Highway driving. The 40 MPG Highway EPA estimates are way off.
  • acausalacausal Member Posts: 1
    I am on my first tank. The car came with around 330 miles already on it. I guess compared to my earlier vehicle, I really enjoy it. I'm not sure if I trust the read-out, but it is consistently showing around 40 mpg for highway driving at approximately 70-75 mph... actually slightly over, for me. I feather-foot, and don't drive at all aggressively. I drive about 95% highway miles, as I work as a courier.

I really doubt they'd do one big fat lie like this. But I don't know. I don't really feel like running the tank completely out from full to gauge exactly how many miles I'm able to do.

At 60 mph I was able to see 45+mpg on the read-out. Do I trust it? I think it's within 4-5 mpg, at least. If I could squeeze 30+ mpg out of a 2003 Malibu with a V6 and nearly 500 lbs heavier, there's no way this can't do better.

I see a lot of people complaining about mpg. I'm confused. Maybe sometime I'll drive until I run out of gas, and have a gas can on me to go to the nearest station to fill, just to see for sure.
    I`m rather confused by your Post? Why would you have to drive the vehicle from full until near empty to get an accurate calculation on what your fuel consumption is? Would`nt using a calculator and using the miles driven and gallons of fuel consumed do the same? Who by the way,who is complaining about poor fuel economy with the Ford Fiesta? There maybe other issues but Fuel Economy is certainly not one of them. Perhaps your getting confused reading previous posts complaining about quite disappointing fuel economy with the new 2012 Kia Rio that (I) posted on this Blog but whether you use the Ford Fiesta`s on board computer to estimate your mpg or do the calculation using miles driven by gas used, I`m sure you will verify that in deed, the EPA fuel economy numbers that were given for the Fiesta are actually (lower) then what most people actually experience. Where have you seen that lately with any other vehicle?
  • kobokokoboko Member Posts: 34
    If your rear speakers are fading in and out, then you probably have your system on surround. I initially thought that i had bad rear speakers also, till i turned surround off, and then all 4 worked fine. They are not the best speakers, but OK for an economy car. The front speakers are decent enough though.
  • kobokokoboko Member Posts: 34
    On my 2012 Rio LX (manual), I am averaging 33 mpg with 100% city driving (a lot of stop and go), & I am on my 3rd gas tank. It actually seems to be improving and after a few thousand miles (after break-in) I feel it might average 35 for city driving which is great. Its my first Korean car (other cars are all Japanese), and so far I am very impressed. I believe the 6-speed manual gets out the true personality of this 138hp GDI motor!
    In regards to the terrible "Sound System" in the 2012 Kia Rio5, I did take your (tip) and checked my Unit and it was in fact set by the Factory on "Surround Sound". After going into the Radio`s menu, I turned "Surround" OFF and it (did) improve the sound quality quite a bit, not great mind you, but much better. Odd, I just rented at Alamo this past week end a 2012 Chrysler 200 Sedan with the standard AM/FM Single CD Radio and Sound System. It was without a doubt the best of (any) I have ever heard as standard equipment.
  • skeptic101skeptic101 Member Posts: 29
    edited July 2012
    Just my 2 cents: First, I have always achieved better highway MPG than the EPA estimate on every vehicle I've owned over the last 6 years. I do stay at 5 MPH under the speed limit. I was dissapointed with my 2012 Rio5's MPG at first, but about 4k I got one tank that gave me 42 MPG! On another trip at 6k I only got 38 MPG outbound, but got 43 over the same route on the return. After a lot of thinking, I believe the local gas is E10, but the gas on the return trips came from stations in rural areas. That might be some of the difference. The EPA uses E10 for their estimates. We're really happy with the car. Only complaints are the automatic transmission going in and out of lockup climbing certain hills and, (hate to admit this) crummy cupholders.
    skeptic101. I know my disappointment with my Fuel Economy with my 2012 Kia Rio5 is (not) uncommon. I have spoken to other owners at my Kia Dealer as well as different Service Writers and Mechanics and it (is) an issue. Many have said that it requires at (least) 6000 or more driven and after your (first) oil change your (may) see some improvement. Well, I have over 6000 driven have had my first oil change and the MPG is still disappointing. All these tips of proper tire inflation, keeping the trunk empty of un-necessary items that increases weight, (I) installed a "Donut" Spare Tires and Jack Kit and through away the toy air-compressor and can of tire sealant that came with the Car, is that) my problem) I don`t think so. My 2011 Ford Fiesta has a spare tire and jack and it`s 41 -43 mpg on the highway has never been compromised. Proper tire inflation, driving 5 MPG (under) the speed limit to achieve a few extra miles per gallon fuel economy won`t work depending on where you live. Try driving in South Florida on either the Florida Turnpike or I95 and see what happens to you if you drive slower then 75/80 mph. You`ll be driven off the road! Speaking of the "Active-Eco_ switch, I have a 2012 Kia Rio5 (LX) with the Automatic Transmission and optional Power Package containing the PW and PL with remote key fob. NO "active-eco" in any (LX) trim models. I see that they are finally including it in their 2013 Model run probably due to the miserable fuel economy complaints. I don`t know nor care what gas I put in my vehicle E10 or otherwise. You purchase whatever gasoline that is available in the area of the Country where you live. Often, you don`t have any choice and even if you did, would it make sense driving all over town looking for a gas station that has the specific blend of gasoline that you prefer? You complaint about the "Cup-Holders" made me laugh. Obviously, you have either a (EX) or (SX) model Rio. The base model (LX) has sufficient cup holders but "NO ARMREST with Storage Box". I just spend several hundreds of dollars retrofitting my (LX) vehicle by having an OEM Armrest w/Storage Box installed which by the way requires a replacement of the (entire) Center Console from the rear of the front seat all the way to the dashboard. Kia requires you to purchase all the required parts piece by piece as well. 10 Parts with a retail price of many hundreds of dollars. Fortunately, I had mine purchased from a seller on Ebay for only $170 which included shipping from Korea which itself costed about $80 for Air Freight. Getting back to the 2012 Kia Rio5 fuel economy, its lousy period. Still, I like the car, comfortable, affordable, great styling and looks and very practical with its storage possibilities and 5th door hatch, but compared to my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback, the Kia Rio is (no) gas sipper. I know owners of new Kia Forte`s and Optima`s that are getting almost the same mpg or even better with larger vehicles and bigger engines, whats that all about?
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Having had other HyunKias in the past didn't expect it to be. Put 2200+ miles on the car in the first week with a trip to South Dakota for a highschool reunion and Northern Minnesota for a family get together. Heavily to road, but some mileage in St. Louis as well as the Twin Cities. Running speed limit of 65-75, air on, 100 degree plus temperatures until I hit northern Minnesota. Tried to run Top Tier gas where possible, QuikTrip or Shell in Missouri. Holiday in Minnesota.

Average: 33.00 mpg.
    Worst: 22.67
    Best 37.89

I'm sure that if I jumped directly on freeway, stuck to 65 mph and wasn't constantly running the air conditioning (113 degrees when I bought the car), I could hit 40-- but not in the real world. Moved from an 05 Malibu Maxx which could deliver 30+ in highway driving. Think this does about five better, OTOH-- I think it's remarkably composed on the highway for a sub compact.

Had two cars until last year-- got rid of an 07 Optima which didn't do as well around town as the Maxx, even though it had the four cylinder engine. The non-OHV GM 3.5 was a pretty good engine-- daughter's driving it now.

Kia's tend to get better with time. Didn't expect to hit 40 mpg, so not really too disappointed.

Mileage entered on Android app to two decimal places.
    Oh well, 40+ sure beats the 28-30 I got from my PT Cruiser or my wife's Honda CR-V. Regarding the E10, I was just speculating on the 5 MPG difference over the same route. The 43 MPG tank was from 50 miles north of Tampa in TS Debbie to Chattanooga. Maybe I had a strong tail wind. I always find a truck that's sticking to the same -5 MPH. I stay about 1/4 mile in front or behind and never have a problem. I'm retired so there's no place I have to be "on time".
    I live in South FL and my air conditioning is (always) on, thats a given. My complaint and disappointment with my 2012 Kia Rio5 fuel economy is based on 2 observations. First, my old 2006 Kia Rio5 that did not have a new state of the art 1.6 ltr engine with "GDI" and a 6 speed automatic transmission but instead an old design 1.6 ltr. engine with a 4 speed automatic transmission got the same or better gas mileage. Second, I also own a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE hatchback also with a 1.6 ltr. engine without "GDI" and a 6 speed automatic transmission and it has achieved from "Day 1" a constant 33/35 mpg city and 41/43 mpg highways with no effort whatsoever to drive carefully and nor with a light foot. How was Ford able to produce a vehicle that far "exceeds" its EPA Fuel Economy Numbers, (most Fiesta owners report similar results) yet the new Kia Rio cannot come anywhere close to achieving their projected numbers, and the Fiesta has a "Spare Tire" and Jack Kit in the trunk adding extra weight? I`m not totally unhappy with my 2012 Kia Rio5, it does handle quite well, its roomy, comfortable, has adequate pick up and performance, attractive and priced affordably. It just does not get the fuel economy that it was advertised to get. It might achieve the 30 mpg city at some time but I`m sure the 40 mpg rating it was given, it ain`t going to happen. Should have known anyway, when its sibling vehicle, the 2012 Hyundai Accent was given the same EPA Fuel Economy numbers as its larger, heavier and more powerful, 2012 Hyundai Elantra, (larger engine "without" GDI), it was obvious that both these vehicles could not produce the same fuel economy.
    My trips are with a passenger and luggage for 2, a/c always on. Since I'm averaging between 38 and 43 MPG (according to my Garmin trip computer), 40 seems doable. I believe the Fiesta has a 6 speed dual-clutch automatic which helps with the mileage. The Rio has a "sealed for life" automatic with a 100,000 warranty. We'll see how that works out. It also has a chain driven camshaft instead of the usual belt. Having thrown a belt years ago I prefer the chain drive. And the Direct Injection that you mention should give the best MPG and sounds really cool when standing in front of it while it's idling. Maybe you could talk the dealer into running some diagnostics on yours for free.
    No need to run "diagnostic" tests at the Kia Dealer, the car runs fine! I have spoken to several other 2012 Kia Rio owners locally and my vehicle is achieving similar MPG as theirs are. It is what it is. The Ford Fiesta with its (dual clutch) automatic transmission that occasionally (is) a bit jerky and not very smooth shifting at low speeds is a small inconvenience for its superior MPG in my opinion. I personally have never kept a vehicle much past 60K or 70K, so I`m really not too concerned with reliability after I`ve traded it in. The items you mentioned, cool sounding GDI, sealed Automatic Transmission are nice. The (big) plus in the chain driven timing belt that avoids the need to replace the typical (non-chain) type belt to avoid blowing the engine after 60,000 miles. Perhaps since my "LX" Model Kia Rio5 with its automatic transmission is (not) equipped with the amazing, "Active-Eco" control switch, that might account for its lackluster fuel economy. I doubt it though since I`ve discussed the issue with owners of both "EX" and "SX" models that claim, the Active-Eco does`ant account for any significant difference. Maybe those that purchase the 2013 "EX" models with the optional Stop and Go technology will experience improved gas mileage but for the hefty added cost, it will require many years and a lot of miles driven to recoup the savings. Odd, that for the 2013 Model Year run, Kia is now putting the "Active-Eco" switch on all of its automatic transmission "LX" trim vehicles that come with the "Power Package" containing the PW and PL with remote Key Fob which the 2012 Kia Rio`s did not have. Personally, I would rather have seen them put in as standard equipment the Armrest with Storage Box Center Console instead. Even my old 2006 Kia Rio5 had a damn folding driver side Armrest. If one does not need or never uses Cruise Control or does not need or use Bluetooth Technology, the twin A-Pillar Tweeter Speakers which hardly adds anything to the sub-par Audio System, or can appreciate the premium "deluxe" Cloth Interior (huh), or the (plastic) Chrome radiator grill surround which will eventually peel or discolor, why must you pay an extra $900 to simply get an Armrest? Damn, I almost forgot the most important feature missing on the "LX" Model, the front door (padded) armrests.
    edited July 2012
    I have a 2012 RIO SX and I'm very pleased with everything, including fuel economy. I'll get back to that in a minute but I want to report my car is 7 months old and I haven't yet found a single problem. Thank you KIA. I love the brisk acceleration, handling, comfort, powerful A/C, LED running/brake/mirror lights, and my back up camera.

I loaded up almost 1gb of mp3s onto my jukebox and I thoroughly enjoy UVO and Sirius Satellite radio.

As for fuel economy, I think most people are confused and/or they're fooling themselves. How many of us actually spend 100% of our time driving on the highway? Very few, most of us COMBINE highway and city driving, and the latter kills fuel economy. Therefore, instead of that ideal 40 mpg highway number, KIA owners should focus on the EPA Combined Mileage rating which is 33 mpg.

My car consistently gets between 31 and 32 mpg in COMBINED driving so I'm happy. I recommend turning off the ECO button in city or hilly/mountainous driving as you will benefit with improved acceleration and better fuel economy. The only time I use ECO mode is on a flat highway. Remember, focus on that EPA 33 mpg Combined Rating.
    I agree with basically everything you posted concerning your 2012 Kia Rio5 (SX). EXCEPT the sup-par Fuel Economy. As I previously posted, my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback also with a 1.6 ltr 4 cyl engine (without) GDI and a 6 speed automatic transmission always produces between 33-35 mpg city and 41-43 mpg highway. Two similar size vehicles with similar weight, one performs with fuel economy comparable to a Hybrid (The Ford Fiesta) the other the Kia Rio5 has the fuel economy of a full side compact or intermediate size vehicle. Everything else I agree with! Since my (LX) did not come with the "Active Eco" feature, I don`t have to shut mine off.
    edited July 2012
    Phil:

I'm glad you agree with my overall assessment of the 2012 RIO SX model. However, I'm not quite sure what you disagree with. Hopefully you can clarify.

Do you disagree that the RIO EPA Combined rating is 33 mpg?

Do you disagree with my combined mileage results of 31-32 mpg?

Do you disagree with my comment that very few people spend 100% of the time on the highway and should use the EPA COMBINED rating as their guide?
  • aurorabdsaurorabds Member Posts: 4
    No, I checked out all the settings. The dealer replaced the speakers, which i doubted would work. Now they have a new radio on order. I'll let you know.
    Let me know if the change of both the Speakers as well as the Radio improved the sound quality. I have spoken to several other 2012 Kia Rio5 owners with the (standard) Radio`s equipped in both the (LX) and (EX) Trim lines and everyone agrees, they all sound like an old 1970`s Japanese Transistor Radio.
    What I agree with is that I too appreciate all the (positive) attributes you mentioned and the overall satisfaction of the 2012 Kia Rio5. I however, "disagree" that the (combined) 33 MPG average for its fuel economy is acceptable for a B-Segment vehicle. Please re-read my Post of the Fuel Economy I get with my other vehicle, a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE hatchback with the same size 4 cyl engine (without) GDI and 6 speed automatic transmission. Why should the Ford Fiesta get 33/35 mpg City and 41/43 MPH Highway compared to the Kia Rio5? It may appear the (average) is only and extra 5 MPG, but I know I fill up the tank on my Rio more often then I do in my Fiesta regardless of the combination of driving that I do.
    edited July 2012
    Phil said, "I however, "disagree" that the (combined) 33 MPG average for its fuel economy is acceptable for a B-Segment vehicle"

Phil's entitled to his opinion but that EPA 33 mpg Combined Rating is available and known to all RIO buyers before they purchase the car. I saw it and knew before signing the contract that's the maximum I would get. I also knew that nobody gets the actual EPA numbers. My goal was to be reasonably close and I am, because I'm getting between 31-32 mpg in combined mileage driving.

I'm realistic and understand that I rarely spend a lot of time on the highway, probably around 45-50%. One of these days I'm going to fill up the tank and go for a long drive on the Interstate to see if I can get that magical 40 mpg number.

So unlike Phil, I'm pleased with my miles per gallon, and overall, I flat out love my 2012 RIO SX. I'm amazed that an economy car has so much going for it, an aerodynamic sleek look, cool technology, brisk acceleration, nimble handling, lots of comfort, backup camera, outside mirrors that fold in, UVO Voice controlled entertainment and phone Calls. Best of all, it costs me next to nothing when I fill up the tank.

Like any car, it also has a few minor flaws. But overall, I recommend the RIO SX model highly and think you would be making a mistake if you fail to put in on the list of cars you want to test drive.
    My Friend; I don`t want to get into a pissing contest with you over (our) 2012 Kia Rio5`s! You claim that (seldom) does the EPA Fuel Economy Numbers ever hold up and almost never get achieved in (real time) driving. I agree! However, my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback, again with the same size 1.6 ltr engine (without GDI) and a 6 speed automatic Transmission had even (lower) EPA estimates and still delivered "HIGHER" 33/35 City and 41/43 mpg highway numbers. If Ford could do it, why not Kia? I very much like my 2012 Kia Rio5 (but) no matter how you want to frame the argument, a much heavier, more powerful, Ford Focus (with GDI) gets better fuel economy then the Kia Rio, does that make sense to you? Again, I`ve been a Hyundai and Kia owner for 2 decades, I like their vehicles and they have with out a doubt, the Industry`s BEST Warranty. Sorry to offend you and I did`nt mean to tarnish your love affair with your new Kia Rio5. I`m (not) Bashing anything, but I stand on the fact that I and most other 2012 Kia Rio owners feel that the Gas Mileage was misrepresented, period!
    edited July 2012
    Phil said, "a much heavier, more powerful, Ford Focus (with GDI) gets better fuel economy then the Kia Rio, does that make sense to you?"

Yes it does. My buddy and I each took a 2011 Ford Focus for test drives and both of us were stunned by the horrible acceleration of the new Focus. I had a 2002 Focus for ten years which I liked a lot but it was horrible on the highway because I couldn't pass a mini-van with it. In fact, it was dangerous when attempting to pass on a two lane highway.

I was really looking forward to buying the new Focus but I was emotionally crushed when I saw what Ford did with their automatic transmission to get that high mpg number. What good is high mileage if you don't have the power to accelerate and/or pass other cars on the Interstate?

If you don't believe me, check out this NY Times article:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/15/reviewing-the-ford-focus/
    edited July 2012
    Phil, everyone's entitled to their opinion. The fact that you disagree with me on the RIO means nothing in my life and it certainly doesn't in any way tarnish how I feel about the car. The only opinion that matters with the RIO I purchased is mine.

Phil said, "I stand on the fact that I and most other 2012 Kia Rio owners feel that the Gas Mileage was misrepresented, period! "

The above statement is the crux of our disagreement. It's hard to imagine how or why Phil uses the word misrepresented. The EPA Combined mileage rating for the 2012 RIO is 33 mpg. Phil, is that true or false?

I'm getting between 31-32 mpg in Combined Driving. How in the world could anyone claim that's a misrepresentation?

I repeat, those who are looking to get 40 mpg are deceiving themselves and aren't being honest. The only way you're going to get close to that figure is driving 100% of the time on the highway. And as I stated earlier in this thread, almost nobody does that. Most people combine city stop & go driving with trips on the highway. That means they should be looking at the EPA COMBINED MILEAGE rating of 33 mpg.
    I don't think my car is the odd one. FrugalDriver.com reports combined averages in the upper 30 MPG range. Using frugal driving techniques, they were able to push the Rio up to the mid-40 mark, with their best effort yielding 44.7 mpg for highway cruising. MotorWeek.org acheived 38 MPG in their "mixed loop", and those folks aren't considered light foots. As they say, "your mileage may vary".