Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2012 BMW 528i

tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
edited December 2011 in BMW
I would like to start this thread for those of us just getting into the new 2012 528i. Given the new engine and efficient dynamics features, we may all benefit from each other's experience and input. Personally I never imagined getting into a 4 cyl BMW because I love the inline 6, but after test driving the new 4 cyl turbo, and thinking about where the industry (and consumer needs) are going with regard to efficiency, I was very open to the new engine and am even excited about a "new" car in every sense of the word.

I pick up my car next week. Anyone have any experience in their 2012 yet and want to share your experience or offer tips?

Comments

• Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    The problem for many of us is that the 528i is no longer available with a manual transmission. I'd love to have a 528i 6-Speed manual (my previous BMW was a 530i 5-Speed), but if I want the stick I'm going to have to spring for a 535i; looks like I'm going to have to "settle" for a new F30 328i. Oh the sacrifice. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Shipo - I remember you from the e46 board many many years ago. Nice to see you are still around. You always had great information to share and stories to tell. I take it you are in the market for a new BMW. What are you trading from?

After 10 years with my e46 325i I must report that I am always going to drive a BMW. My e46 is the most reliable and fun car I ever had. Only reason I am moving to the 528 is because of the new car itch, and because it's probably time to move one. It will be sad to see the e46 go to another home. Hope all is well.
  • Options
    Hey Tenet1,

After the 530i my business parterner and I decided to launch a new niche business, and as part of that we opted to lose our nicer rides in favor of, ummm, errr, lesser mounts. In my case I went from the 2002 530i to a 3.8 liter 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport which I drove until the clock was showing nearly 180,000 miles. Then, as money was still tight and as I needed a new car which could be relied upon to put in 100 miles or more per day, I switched into a 2.0 liter 2009 Mazda3 i TVE 5-Speed.

Now that our finances are finally starting to look up, my wife just traded our last Caravan (of three) in on a new 2012 GTI 6-Speed, and in another year or so I'll (hopefully) be in the market for a new BMW, once again via European Delivery. :)

Funny thing; had I known we'd start that new business I would probably have kept my 1999 328i for the duration instead of moving up to the 5er. How many miles do you have on your 325i?
  • Options
    Good to hear. I have put 105k over 10 years but likely to put on more every year moving forward. Wish you well in the new year.

Personally, I am excited about the 4 banger with all it's new efficiency. I'm going to stay the trend with BMW. I think they are on to something. I personally would like more mpg.
  • Options
    ssi05ssi05 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2012 528 xi for about 2 weeks now. I also drove the 335 xi and would say that the 528 with the turbo is quick when you need it while getting high mpg. My experience has been very good.
  • Options
    ssi05 - What do you think of the stop/start feature? is it noticeable, and under what conditions does the car turn off? Do you leave the feature on or off? I pick my car up tonight!
  • Options
    Anyone with a 2012 know how the start/stop feature works. Mine stops at some lights and not at others. Then sometimes it even stops in stop and go traffic. I know that i can turn it off, but i think the system is not very smart. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Ok, so I have been a long time BMW owner and have always put premium as suggested by BMW. However, I picked up my 2012 528i this week and the dealer told me that the new engines require 89 octane gas. However, upon closer reading of the label by the tank, I see it says that fuel with 89 minimum, and BMW recommends 91. I am confused. Should I fill it with 89 or 91? In the past they clearly specified 91 or higher.

What are your thoughts
  • Options
    Here's the deal, your engine is able to detune itself so that it can safely run on midgrade fuel, that said, you will get your best power and fuel economy if you run Premium.
  • Options
    rckptrckpt Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2012
    I've owned the 2012 BMW 2012 for 3 months and I am very disappointed with
    the engine noise. I've pulled up to friends who, "nice car, is it a diesel?
    BMW's response, "that's the way they sound". I've just moved from a Lexus to
    the BMW and I am very surprised that it doesn't run like a clock.
  • Options
    rckptrckpt Member Posts: 3
    I've owned the 2012 BMW 2012 for 3 months and I am very disappointed with
    the engine noise. I've pulled up to friends who, "nice car, is it a diesel?
    BMW's response, "that's the way they sound". I've just moved from a Lexus to
    the BMW and I am very surprised that it doesn't run like a clock.
  • Options
    busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    You say BMW's response ...

The company, your dealer...?

If its your dealer, and your new BMW sounds like a diesel, I would definitely recommend trying another dealer.

All dealers, regardless of brand, are not equal.

No one would EVER confuse my 328i with a diesel, unless they perhaps had never heard a diesel before.
  • Options
    james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    All of the reviews I've read say that is what it sounds like. Don't confuse this 4-cylinder engine with the older 6 on the x28 models, they are vastly different. With the windows up and driving down the road, my guess is that you can't hear it. It is the price of efficiency on this design. It wouldn't bother me...but, I'm not you; nor, would I really care what others thought.

It is the price of economy.
  • Options
    busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    You know, I stand corrected.

I just received the latest Motor Trend issue today, and their quote on the new 4 cylinder was...

"... The new 2.0-liter twin-scroll I-4 sounds like a diesel", but they go on to say its only noisy at idle.

The article also quoted "Let's call that the sound of efficiency".

Personally, it's not how I would describe the sound, but I am now deferring to others' opinions...
  • Options
    gjuliengjulien Member Posts: 1
    I've been asking myself and others the same question. I have 2012 BMW 528xi.. It sounds like an old school Peugot that my dad used to have.. The mechanics at the dealership said that's what they sound like..