Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Difference between Forester & Outback

morelecmorelec Member Posts: 2
I'm new here and have been looking at a 2001 forester w/130k on it. what is the difference between Forester and Outback, also how are they off road, like sand, mud etc. thanks alot.

Comments

• Options
    aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    Forester is built on Impreza platform, Outback on Legacy platform.
    Outback is longer, more rear legroom, slightly more cargo space, but cargo bay is not quite as high as Foresters.
    Same engines and drive trains, same off road abilities.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    edited February 2012
    same off road abilities.

Well, almost the same. The Forester has better approach/departure angles, so you're less likely to get it hung up on obstacles, but, aside from that, I agree. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Outback is longer, more rear legroom

That was the case for years before the current models. AFAIK the rear legroom is 1/4 inch more in the Forester, but the rear seating width is 1/4 inch less.

The Outback front seats may be more comfortable for those who are broad in the beam.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    better approach/departure angles

About 25 degrees in the Forester. :shades:
  • Options
    easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    I just read an article about this week's NY Auto Show and it mentioned that the Outback/Legacy were getting an updated exterior look.

Does anyone have anything on this? Anyone seen pictures? Maybe I should search the internet for pix myself.

easypar
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Does anyone have anything on this? Anyone seen pictures?

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee9956a/22262#MSG22262
  • Options
    carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    I was hoping to start a new thread about this, but couldn't find the thread starter. Yes, if you google 2013 Outback, you'll get to see pictures of both cars. The Outback looks like it won't have such a cheesy interior, and quite a few new safety options are going to be available.

I'm ready to buy a car now, but have been less than thrilled with the Outback. I'm hoping to wait for the 2013 in the expectation that it will be an improvement on the 2012.

When in the summer does Subaru usually release their new models?
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    They used to release them in the June/July time frame on the year-over-year updates, but they have pushed back the schedule a little in the last couple years.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Also, new Forester and Impreza models usually launch early in the year. We should see the next Forester early next spring, for instance.
  • Options
    dwlingdwling Member Posts: 11
    ateixeira. It is good to see your posting. I used to read many of your postings some years ago on Forester. I recall you own one with happy experience. I am reading the recent Forester postings is because I bought a new 2012 Forester 2.5L turbo in Malaysia. I used to own an Outback in Seattle. I will drive my Forester to join expeditions in SE Asia, e.g. to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, China, .... Most of the other convoy members drive Hilux truck or Landcruiser. I actually have one question on engine oil. My manual suggests using fully synthetic 5W30 for turbo. Most dealers here use Castrol 5W40 saying because of hotter weather. Malaysia is no hotter than Florida or Arizona summer or Darwin Australia, where they still use 5W30. What is the difference between 5W30 and 5W40? Is it harmful to the engine to use 5W40 all the time when the Subaru recommendation is 5W30? dwl
  • Options
    So it's more viscous in the heat...either should be OK, but I'd still stick with the manufacturer's recommendation. I'm sure they did plenty of hot weather testing.