Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Catitytic Converters??

tjbohnerttjbohnert Member Posts: 4
i have a 2010 Subaru Forester top of the line. I bought it because of the high rating. I drive a lot for my job. I bought it in Dec. 2009. In Dec. 2011 it started "bogging down" at stops. I called and could not get in until 1/5/12 and Romain Dealership in Evansville IN said nothing was wrong because they could not replicat the problem. Then on 2/6/2012 we drove home from dinner a 30 mph (Check Engine light on) and and had to put into neutral at all stops or it wanted to die. Took to dealership next morning (after it started normally). They gave me a loaner 2012 Outback. They kept it for a bit and told me to come and get it because again they could not replicate the problem. I drove across an expressway to work. I then headed less than 7 miles home and the check engine light came on, the traction light came on and the cruise control light was blinking. I turned around and headed back to Romain. Another 2012 nice Outback loaner. They called me after a day and said nothing was wrong and then called the next day and said they found catalytic converter was bad and as we were heading on vacation they would fix prior to. Then prior to vacation they called and said the "other catalytic converter" was stopped up due to the the other being broken down. Two days before heading on vacation I went to dealer and asked about status they said they were still trying to get part from Canada. I told them I was not comfortable traveling 1600 miles on a recently broken/recently fixed vehicle. They let us drive 2012 Outback on vacation. Returned 2/28/12 to dealership and picked up vehicle after they had called us on vacation and told vehicle fixed. Well now in the Subaru Forester I was getting up to 29+ gas mileage on the road, I am now getting 21.3-9 mpg. I called this morning and they told me it was up to me to figure out. I am to drive and fill up and manually figure out gas mileage and let them know. A lot of other back story but I am sorely disappointed with my treatment and service on this vehicle as I have been loyal to this dealership for all service.

Comments

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    I would be, too! First thing, contact Subaru directly (1800SUBARU3) and discuss it with the customer service rep. Open a case number.

On the side, I would disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or so in order to lose the computer's memory. Yes, you will also lose your radio presets, etc., but what this does is reset the "learned behavior" of the car. When you have replaced major parts, sometimes it impacts the car's performance due to the system's memory. If this doesn't help your fuel economy, I would then take it back to the service station with that case number in hand, and let them know you will be following up with Subaru.

This situation is obviously not coincidence, so they should make the effort to set it right. Personally, I'm very surprised that you had a cat issue already.... :surprise:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    edited March 2012
    We had a failed converter one of our cars that is a Buick. There was a CEL light on and a code was read, the mileage dropped by 1/3, but the car ran fine. We eventually had the converter replaced under emissions warranty. The mileage returned.

Buick owners and dealers do not know about the popular Forester remedy of resetting the computer. Forester dealers are unaware, too. Buick computers are incapable of learning or forgetting or relearning like the Forester computers. They just run the engine from the sensor inputs. The ECU reset seems to be a private myth among Forester owners. Some Forester owners say to do it whenever changing air filters or octane, or whenever you want to feel better.

If you are reporting the mileage from the Forester computer, before continuing the complaint, go a few tankfuls and divide the miles by the gallons.
  • Options
    I had my Forester in the shop for another week and when I picked up on Wed. of last week drove 407 miles work related and everything was fine. Calclulated as I had before manually MPG and found that I was getting approx. 26 MPG and no problems. Today traveled 255 miles for work and got 25-26 MPG and I am not sure, but I think they may have adjusted O2 emissions in re: catalytic converter. But good idea about the battery unplug. I am happy with my vehicle once again and hope that continues!!
  • Options
    OOPS, I had forgotten to say that I had contacted Subaru in NJ from the beginning and had a wonderful rep., Jennifer. She stood beside mem all the way and both Romain and Jen are still contacting me after a week to ensure my confidence in the vehicle!
  • Options
    Last Friday night returning from dinner Subaru 2010 Forester powered down again (after getting it back three weeks earlier) check engine light on again. Took to Romain on Sat. morning again. (we told them check engine light the night before was flashing and they said that was worse than steady "check engine" light, possilby fatal error). They gave me another Outback loaner. Call from dealer today said the catalytic converter was blown again and the dealer said they are going to replace and find out why. Jennifer from corporate left me a msg. that it was a warranty issue and they would replace and I could drive for a few weeks to see if the problem replicates??? Really??? I am going to talk with an atty. soon!!! I have been fighting this since early Jan. I have driven their vehicles more than I have driven mine in the last three months!
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    That's amazing (and not in a good way)! I have to wonder if there is an internal coolant leak going on. Otherwise, I cannot imagine burning up a catalytic converter in that short period of time. Even then, I would think it would foul the oxygen sensors (resulting in a code and light) before it decimated the cat, but perhaps not.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    Corporate is going to replace this converter, and evidently any future converters that fail. Dealer is loaning a car. What do you want the attorney to do?
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    At least they gave you a more expensive Subaru model, and not some cheap rental.

Hope they sort this out for you, and for good.