Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How do I remove the rear-view mirror from my 2001 Forester?

rangerbugrangerbug Member Posts: 9
The rear-view mirror on my 2001 Forester just fell off (the glue holding the mirror base to a rubber pad attached to the windshield gave out). The mirror proper is held to the base by a clip. I've tried compressing the clip with needle-nosed pliers (fairly coarse-tipped: a Leatherman tool), but have been unable to separate the mirror from the base. It appears that there should be a way to loosen the clip from beneath, had the mirror not fallen off and I wanted to remove the mirror in place. How do I separate the mirror from the base so that I can reattach the base to the windshield, then the mirror to the base? Thank you.

Terry

Comments

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    I haven't taken a close look at the '01 specifically, but the ones I have re-affixed included a small hex screw in the base where it attaches to the small piece that is glued to the windshield (the base would not need to come off the mirror itself). If that is loosened, the small piece slides out, can be cleaned and reattached to the windshield, then the base of the arm is slid over it and tightened back down.

Maybe you were describing the exact same thing, but it seemed like you were talking about the connection between the mirror and the arm that holds it?

In this case, a picture is worth a thousand words... :blush:

Were you referring to a clip like this:

(from www.finishlinewest.com)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    To the extent that I can see the clip, I would say it is like that. However, there is no hex screw. I decided I had no more time to monkey with it and took the mirror to a mechanic, who had never seen one without the screw. His removal method was to prop it on the edge of a workbench and whack it with a hammer. The base popped right off. The mirror assembly went back on the base much more easily.

Terry
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Hahaha, yep, that'll do it! In the how-to that included that photo, they stated that the mirror could be rotated 90-degrees right or left in order to release the arm from the base. That might be worthwhile information in the event you have need to remove it again.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Thanks, xwesx. I'll store that away for future reference. Right now, the mirror is back in place, and I'm not touching it!

Terry