Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Subaru Outback

cincinnati_dancincinnati_dan Member Posts: 12
edited December 2013 in Subaru
Thanks for the responses I have already received.

I read that there will be 3 different types of AWD systems in the 2013 Outback (I think the 2012s, and maybe older Outbacks, have these 3 types as well, but I am not sure). Is one better than the other? Are they all great as far as AWD goes? I will not be doing any serious off-roading. I just want a vehicle that has AWD all the time, for driving on various road conditions. I currently have 4WD (2009 Toyota Tacoma), and I hate it, because I am afraid to engage it when it rains, snows lightly, or when there may be freezing rain, in fear that I will damage the 4WD system.

Also, I have not been able to find anything regarding the new FB engine, and how that eliminates head gasket problems. Will the 2012s need a head gasket replacement every so-many miles?

I am also afraid of the 2013s because of the new EyeSight Driver-Assist System, and potential problems it may have.

Any thoughts on how much more the 2013s will cost? If I can buy a 2012 2.5i Limited now for $29,000, how much will a similar 2013 cost me in a couple of months?

Here is what I read on-line about the 3 types of AWD in the Outback:

Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive: Three Different Types

Subaru offers three different Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive systems in the 2013 Outback line, each tailored to the type of transmission. In Outback 2.5i models equipped with the 6-speed manual transmission, the Continuous AWD system uses a viscous-coupling locking center differential to distribute power a nominal 50/50 front to rear. Slippage at either the front or rear wheels will cause the system to send more power to the opposite wheels.

Subaru Outback 2.5i models equipped with the Lineartronic CVT use Active Torque Split AWD. An electronically managed continuously variable transfer clutch actively controls power distribution in response to driving conditions and wheel slippage.

The Outback 3.6R uses the Variable Torque Distribution (VTD) AWD system with a 5-speed electronic automatic transmission. A planetary center differential works with an electronically controlled continuously variable hydraulic transfer clutch to manage power distribution. The VTD system normally sends more power to the rear wheels (45:55) to enhance handling agility, and it can continuously adjust power distribution in response to driving and road conditions.

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited May 2012
    They all work well, but the one on the 3.6 is the most sophisticated and the best, so I've been told. In a worst-case traction situation, that would be my choice. Also, by having a slight rearward power bias, it will give you a more rewarding driving experience.

Having said that, we've had three 2.5 automatic Subarus with the Active Torque AWD, and they've never let us down. Also, I have a WRX 5-speed with the 50/50 power split viscous coupling AWD; same there, never let me down.

Bob
  • carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    Is the 4 cylinder engine on the 2013 supposed to be the same as the 2012?
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited June 2012
    2012 Outback has EJ25 engine
    2013 Outback will have FB25 engine (same as 2011/2012 Forester)

The main differences are EJ25 = SOHC w/ timing belt; FB25 = DOHC w/ timing chain.

FYI - 2012 Impreza has 2.0L FB20 engine.
    Also, the FB25 has a bit more power, especially in low-mid rpm range, where it counts.

Bob
    Is this engine supposed to be free of the head gasket problem?
    edited June 2012
    The FB25 is a completely new engine, so there's no reason to assume that old problem remains.

Bob
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    Indeed, and I'm surprised that the assumed elimination of this problem wasn't at the top of the list in terms of the differences between the EJ and FB blocks!

I'm wondering if any of the hosts would be willing to correct the thread title to "Subaru" from "Subura?" :shades:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    free of the head gasket problem?

More specifically, will coolant ever leak from the head gasket, internally or externally?

Simple answer - not possible The coolant no longer even flows through the gaskets! The heads and block have different lines to cool them.

So nope.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Typo repaired :)

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    Most excellent. Thank you!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I've just been on the site subaruoutback.org People are posting there that the 2013 will be out before the end of June and pricing may be out by this coming Monday. Someone also posted that the top of the line will go for close to 40K.
    edited June 2012
    Sounds high, but a base Explorer Sport with no options will have a starting price higher than that. Loaded ones break $50 grand now.

Scary.

Edit to add link, $40,720 actually:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/08/ford-configurator-prices-new-2013-explorer-sp- ort-from-40-720/
    I am totally clueless about torque and ratios, so this may sound like a stupid question. Will the new engine have more power than the old?

And though this may not be the place for it, can anyone explain what the ratio of torque to rpm and hp to rpm tells you? I want to be able, if it's possible, to compare engines between cars. And if I do, would these comparisons give me an idea of the actual power of a car?

Thanks.
    Same power, but a flatter torque curve with the new engine.

If you opt for the CVT it may not matter much, because the CVT can put the engine in the sweet spot and keep it there.

I'd wait for the new one just to get the timing chain, and the easy-access oil filter. Oil changes would take 5 minutes.
    I'm definitely waiting for the new one. The timing chain sounds like a wonderful improvement. I wasalso hoping that there might be a little more power in the new engine. I found it sluggish after test driving the 6.
    I think you'll feel the bump in torque...
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Hi Juice!!

Hope you and your family are well. You may not remember me, but I'll give it a try. I bought a new black 2001 LLBean Outback over 11 years ago... called it my black tank... I contributed to Edmunds' forum early on, but haven't in quite some time. Well, the car reached 162K miles this past April, but was totalled in an accident. Minor collision - my wife and an AMC SUV met in the left front corner of the Outback. She hardly felt anything - no airbags went off. The "cage" seemed to do its job quite well, but front left wheel/axle, radiator, etc. added up to a total. Got $6800 from insurance!! Much better than I thought I would get! Too bad, the car was going to my daughter next year. Now I'll have to spend more to find her one... and not know its true condition. All those years of caring for it down the drain...

After 162K miles the H6 engine ran like the day I bought it. No kidding. No loss of power. It was amazing... as was the transmission and other major components. Never changed the radiator!!! Everything worked. It would have kept going on forever. Only regret I had was not changing the struts until 155K. It took its toll on the front end. I was looking at changing tie rods, etc. in the front. It was getting loose. The front brakes were a constant headache. Subaru engineers got that one wrong - too small for the H6 car's weight. Had to change the pads every 10-15K and use special Frozen rotors. AWD also eats up tires fairly quickly - but a safety tradeoff. That window design and the noise it created was unbearable at times. Wooden pop sticks helped, but always fell into the door cavity when someone opened the windows. Then at around 130K miles - after a windshield replacement - we would get a LOUD buzz whenever we went over 55mph. I mean LOUD. Some folks - subaru.org I think, not Edmunds - seemed to zero in on the rubber window gasket as the source. Would have been hard to sell like that, but perfect for my daughter to not speed! Again, though, I felt like the car would go for another 162K easily. Now I know what they mean when folks say you can't kill a Subaru!

I'd say the car had above average reliability overall. So... I'm looking at the 2013 H6 with the special appearance package, but I just saw the mirrors at this site: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2013.html and they are damn ugly!!! Silver grey?? Why would they not be the color of the car? Just to stand out?? Why does Subaru still do stuff like that? Could never understand them... when they go upmarket they always seem to get it wrong. Really dealbreaker for me...

So, now my search takes another direction. But, who knows, maybe someone came to their senses in Indiana or NJ the past few weeks and they will match the body's color. I guess it will be clear by the end of the month. Fog lights are in the wrong direction, too. But the memory setting (long overdue) and the 40% less body lean (also a major complaint I had with the LLBean) are in the right direction. And $40K loaded? Dream on...

My other car, a 2004 MDX with 102K miles, has been unbelievably reliable. Nothing wrong but a radiator leak. Much less expensive to maintain. And with the base under $40K right now (new design coming out this fall), I might end up taking a little loan out to stretch... I don't care if it will look old within a few months. Reliability is my main concern, then looks.

As Dave Matthews once said... too many choices...

Take care,
    Ralph (Otis)
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited June 2012
    Sounds high, but a base Explorer Sport with no options will have a starting price higher than that.

Aw c'mon juice - that's a poor comparison. The Explorer Sport is a high performance vehicle. When the Outback seats 7 and pumps out 350 HP, you can compare them.

The Outback and the Edge are more comparable.
    Long time, no see! Really long! Welcome back!

Can you get one without the appearance package? Aren't those mirrors body color? Some folks like stuff like that, I guess. Looks OK on the silver cars (LOL).

I'm sure a body shop could paint 'em for you for very little if they bug you that much.

MDX seems to be the official car of Potomac. A lot of friends have them and the one common theme - they all complain about the gas mileage (and the premium fuel).
    I know but I read that on Autoblog just before I posted.

Point is, sticker prices have really crept up. I just drove a pair of german compacts with 4 cylinder engines, each nearly $50 grand. Yikes.

I'd take a Legacy GT over the C250 even if they cost the same amount!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited June 2012
    I'd take a Legacy GT over the C250 even if they cost the same amount!

Oh you'd take a bag of poo over most cars as long as it had a Subaru badge on it!!

Turn it around - I'd take the C250 if it cost the same as the Legacy GT. And in reality the Legacy is creeping closer to the price of an MB which suprises me.
    edited June 2012
    Go drive a C250, you'll take that back.

The throttle on that car is awful. The first inch of travel does nothing, literally. Then you press it more, and after some lag, all the power comes on at once. So it's lag, then more power than you wanted.

In Sport mode is slightly less bad.

C350 ($40,575) is a much nicer car, but below that, I'll pass.

In fact I just read that for the C300 4Matic models with will use a de-tuned 3.5l V6 instead of the turbo.

Heck, they should do that for RWD too!
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    I'd wait for the new one just to get the timing chain, and the easy-access oil filter. Oil changes would take 5 minutes.

Does easy-access oil filter mean I do not have to slide under the car to change oil?

Also, I did not see any mention on the Subaru website or press release. How do you know about this easy-access filter?

Thanks.
    You still have to slide under to drain the oil.

The 2013 Outback uses the 2011 & 2012 Forester FB25 engine ... there are pictures all over the web showing the easy-access (top mounted) oil filter. It's also the same location on the 2012 Impreza FB20 engine.
    Add a fumoto valve for the oil drain plug, and you may only need to squat down once or twice.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,490
    Just got a report from someone at SOA that has driven one, who said that the suspension has been tweaked considerably and the transmission is a Phase Two and much quieter on the ’13 MY.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stopped at a deal today to check out colors, and the salesguy shared updates they had.

along with the new engine/trans, the front end (bumper and lights) will be redesigned, they are adding rear seat air ducts, and there are going to be a few new colors. Might be a few more things I forgot, but those were the big ones.

and the MSRP of a 2.5i limited is going up only about $400, so a good deal for what you are getting.

They will show up soon, and the dealers can order within the next week.

Glad to know they're listening to feedback.

The roof rack cross bars are farther apart now, too. Remember first year models had no folding mirrors? I bet real-world MPG will improve with the new engine. Forester did if you look at fueleconomy.gov reports.

Nice to see they fixed all those mistakes.
    1) Is the FB25 engine better than the BOXER engine?

2) Does the back seat fold *flat* in a Outback?

Thanks.
    the FB25 is still a boxer engine (that just signifies being a flat, horizontally opposed engine). But it has some advantages over the previous engine.

No clue about the seat, but when I tried it I don't recall seeing a noticeable bump.

Timing chain vs belt, better torque curve, oil filter at top for ez access, and no coolant flow thru the heads to end gasket leaks.

Same hp but significant changes under the skin.
  • mr_practicalmr_practical Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    Hello folks. I'm about to take the plunge after all the years of owning Audis (sedans and wagons) so I am trading my aging A6 Wagon in for an Outback. I know it won't be a perfect comparison since I am used to driving an older Audi A6 Quattro Wagon but I figured someone should take a stab at it just to give some people a reference for some of the simpler things like handling, road feel, etc. I loved my old A6 but after nearly 16 years and 180,000 miles, the instrument cluster just blew, brakes need replacement and other things finally gave out and I also wanted side air curtain bags that the Audi did not have (last model before it became standard) for my current driving. I'm a moderate mileage driver (25-30,000 a year) but I live and commute into New York City which is probably the most "car adverse" city to commute into from a wear and tear standpoint. The pounding of road conditions plus the harshness of the winter/summer routines do take a toll on any car.

I know a lot of people who swear by their Subaru so I'm putting my money on it and going for a 2013 Outback 2.5i Limited on lease to see how the car works. If I like it, I'll buy it out for my son and let him drive it the first 100,000 miles or so, if not, it'll be back to Audi at the end of the lease. I'm hoping that this is a more affordable option for my kids to keep the car a long time, vs. putting $45-50,000 into a new A6 Wagon or the Allroad that is coming out this year. Stay tuned.

I will probably get a lot of the options since they all look pretty interesting. I hope to do this comment column as a long term "driving commentary". The lease program is supposed to come out early July and I've already picked out all the options for my car when they start writing up orders. I like the fact that this model has the extra 2 mpg over the 2012 plus the stiffer chassis which will hopefully give it a better ride closer to the Audis which are legendary in their road hugging characteristics. I'm not expecting a high performance car but I will try and give people some useful commentary between the two cars (even though the Audi I last drove is an older one). I recently had an Audi loaner and while some of the gismos were nice, the driving feel of the car really had not changed much in comparison to my older car other than the newer cars were a bit more powerful and tighter on the front end which I would have assumed given the higher wear and tear on my older car's suspension vs the loaner. I am also hoping that even though the Subaru has a higher road clearance, the boxer mounted engine is supposed to keep the center of gravity lower but we'll see how this feels when I get behind the wheel. I have another SUV at home so I already know the feel of a somewhat taller car and I'm hoping the Subaru drives closer to the Audi sedan profile.

I haven't locked in the pricing and lease yet but I'll probably wind up with a car with an invoice price around $35,000. I am not getting the bigger engine intentionally as I want the better gas mileage. Except for a couple of smaller cosmetic things, I'm going to get every electronic option to keep the car's resale value someday on the higher side. I'll probably even try the Eyesight option even though I'm usually not a version 1.0 buyer of anything and having something controlling the car besides the driver isn't my usual sense of control (although blindspot warning is something I do think makes sense). Also, unless you need to tow or haul something of size, who needs anything higher than the 170+ horsepower engine. My 130+ hp Audi A6 has more than enough power to accelerate on any of the highways with short ramps like the parkway entrances in Connecticut. Anyone needing more than 170 is just throwing money away for no good reason except vanity on the 1/4 mile time tests.

Wish me luck on the new Subaru and I'll try and report out my experience as I go.
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    In our 161K miles driving our LLBean H6 Outback, there were two or three times the extra horsepower saved our lives. Driving in the greater tri state area and into/out of the city. I'd reconsider the advantage of the extra horsepower - it rides differently, too... more upscale like an Audi. Didn't know the A6 came in a 4... Good luck!
    Drove a 2013 legacy last night (2.5i). It actually seemed pretty quick to me. Hard to imagine it not being enough motor to get the job done. And definitely better MPG to go along with it.

also, Subaru has pricing up for the 2013 now (on the build your own). I specced one out identical to a 2012 on Edmunds (a 2.5i limited with moonroof) and MSRP was only up by $290. A definite bargain considering the upgrades they added.

the 2013 brochure is out too (looks like they beat the cars this year). one thing I noticed is they list the special appearance package in the brochure (gray trim, saddle leather, and seat memory mostly), but it is not listed on the build your own page, so that may be late availability.

A definite bargain considering the upgrades they added.

I am not sure which "upgrades" you are referring to.

The only two changes in the 2013 are the revised roof rack with integrated cross bars and a different engine.

You have to pay for all other options and/or upgrades.
    new engine and transmission upgrade (better performance, drive-ability, long term durability and maintenance requirement and MPG), the cross bars, rear seat air vents I remember. Plus new electro gauges on the premium model that I priced. And I think there were a few other minor tweaks.

so overall, for less than $300 (plus being a model year newer) it was a good bargain for what you get, especially if you plan to keep it for a long time (and don't want to worry about head gaskets or timing belts).

edited July 2012
    Drove one about a week ago, a 2.5 Premium CVT. Was pretty impressed, as the car seemed a bit quicker than the '12 model; and it seemed to handle a bit better too, although I didn't get to drive it on any challenging roads. Bottom line is that I came away impressed.

Today I went to another dealer to drive another, as I always like to follow up with a second road test to confirm my initial impressions, and to hopefully garner some more insight into the vehicle.

Well today I was not disappointed, as the model I drove was a Limited CVT with the new and updated navigation—and the all-new optional Eyesight! Not only that I got to drive it on some fun country roads, as was able to check out the revised suspension.

Comments:

• The suspension is a big improvement over the '12 model. The car felt really taut on the curvy country roads. Subaru has claimed that it has reduced body roll by 40 percent. I believe it. The car felt much more "Euro-like" on the country back roads. As good as this felt, I'm sure the Legacy is even better. A big thumbs up here.

• As with the earlier version I drove, the '13 Outback with this new FB25 engine felt quicker than earlier models. Even the salesman who was with me commented on that, as this was the first time he had been in the '13 model. He also commented that the CVT whine, found on earlier models, was absent in this car. My only wish is that engine had direct injection with ~ 190 or so horsepower, as 173 hp is merely average in this segment. Having said that, there is definitely more low- and mid-range power than before, and that's where most people spend their time anyway. So again, a solid thumbs up here.

• The navigation also seems to have been improved. The salesman commented on the graphics being better than before. It also uses an SD card for easy map upgrades. We played with it a bit, but really can't compare it to the older version, as I'm not that familiar with it. I can say what I saw here was fine, and can only assume it's better than what they previously offered. A rear-view camera is part of the package, and that worked fine—and is almost worth the price in itself. For those who tow (me!), a rear-view camera is really helpful in lining up the trailer hitch with the trailer.

• As to the Eyesight, I had mixed feelings. It warns you should happen to wander out of your lane, which is good. However any time you change lanes intentionally, it also warns you with a buzzer. After a while I think that buzzer might drive you nuts. So I'm not so sure I like that aspect.

Now the adaptive cruise control (part of Eyesight) I love! You have three choices of how much distance you want between you and the car in front. You also get a graphic on the instrument cluster showing what distance of separation that you have selected. I like that. When you come upon a slower car in front, you are alerted by a quick buzz and a graphic of the rear of a car appears next to the cruise indicator on the dash. The car also slows to the speed of the vehicle in front. You don't have to do anything. It's really neat. Should the car in front speed up and pull away, the graphic on the instrument cluster disappears along with a buzz to let the driver know that the vehicle in front is no longer within the CC range. Also neat is the actual mph that the CC is set at is displayed. In my case, it was 60 mph.

The downside to Eyesight is that you have to get navigation and the moonroof. Those who don't want those features are out of luck.

This vehicle also had the optional rear seat back rubber protectors, which work in conjunction with the rear rubber cargo floor area protector. This is the first time I've seen these. They've been offered in other markets before, but never here. The seat back protectors appear to be permanently attached to the seats, which may (or may not) be a problem?

The MSRP for this vehicle was a bit over $35K. Yeah, that's a lot for a 4-cylinder car.

Bob
    Showed this to my wife, since the OB is on her short list. I drove the legacy, but we have not yet seen a 2013 OB. Might have to go searching next week.

She liked the adaptive cruise, not that we would ever get much use out of it, since I hardly ever use cruise, and am paranoid anyway so I drive with my foot hovering over the brake. And she rarely drives on longer highway stints (that is my job!)

Also, you get the rear view camera on the limited with the moonroof package, even without the navigation, it just has it in the rear view mirror instead of the display screen.

Also, you get the rear view camera on the limited with the moonroof package, even without the navigation, it just has it in the rear view mirror instead of the display screen.

Rear view camera is also standard on Premium w/ moonroof (since MY2011).
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Been considering the Outback for sometime (among another SUVs) but have been hesitant due to all the talk about the steering issues the past 2 years. So now it comes down to this: should I jump for a 2012 at over $2k off sticker or go for a 2013 with improved mileage, steering, ride, etc? Salesman said I could get the 2013 for about $1K off sticker. BTW, looking at either the 4 cylinder 2.5i or premium.
    for that minimal of a difference, 100% go with the 2013. Just getting 1 model year newer, even if there were no changes, would be worth that much.

• godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Thanks for the input - I agree. Only thing about the 2012 is I can get one now with the sky blue exterior which I love; they have done away with it for 2013. I know, I know....I bought a house once mainly because I loved the blue carpet.... The new Twilight Blue for 2013 looks pretty sweet though... ;) May have to wait a bit but that's no bid deal.
  • albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200
    Does anyone know what the frequency of required oil changes for the 2013 Outback will be? A couple of years ago I was looking at one and the owners manual indicated oil changes every 3000 miles and today, most engines require changes every 7500 - 10000. Given the 2013 has a new engine, I would be interested to know what the new service intervals are.

Also - the CVT transmission - the vibration that seems to be so common during deceleration - is that just the way this transmission is or is there a design / engineering flaw that randomly surfaces in Outbacks and you basically have to get lucky to get a vehicle that does not have vibration.

The steering issue - any thoughts or knowledge of the new 2013 model has addressed this?

Lastly, has anyone purchased a 2013 with the new 2.5 L engine and if so, is there a noticeable difference between the power / acceleration of the new model it's predecessor?

Thanks,
    I think the first oil change is at 3K, then every 7,500 miles.

I drove 2 new '13 CVT Outbacks, and didn't notice any CVT vibration. The '13 model has an updated CVT. As to power, yes, more low- and mid-range power—where it counts!

No steering issues. Suspension has also been updated. 40% less body roll. Feels very Euro-like.

Bob
  • lynnvinlynnvin Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased this 2013 OB Limited. Was initially going to purchase a 2012 but after reading about the steering issues decided to go with the 2013. I traded in my 2004 Mazda 6 Sportswagon that had 103,000 miles.
    I got the model with the Moonroof, Nav, and the Isight System - MSRP was $34,790 - I paid $31,910 before my trade.
    I only have about 100 miles on the car but I have to say the car rides great and the build quality is very, very good. I chose the 4 cylinder for better gas mileage. Looking forward to keeping this car for many, many years.
    You said you paid $31900 before your trade. Is that the price you agreed on before the sales person knew you had a trade? If not, did you get a fair price for your trade?
    edited July 2012
    Joe Spitz has images of the "Special Appearance Package" with the beautiful dark brown leather seats, as well as instructions/photos of how to adjust the roof rack spacing.

Interior
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2013photos2.html

Exterior
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2013photos1.html

Bob
  • den_geoden_geo Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    We've been looking for a new vehicle for my wife and she really liked the subaru outbacks. Based on all of the comments here about the changes made to the motor and suspension we decided to wait until the 2013 model came out and they just started showing up here in denver last week. Well, went and test drove them and really liked it. Ended up purchasing one a few days ago, a 2.5i premium cvt with package 6 (moonroof/rear-vision camera/allweather). I felt the pricing was pretty decent, sticker was just over $29K (plus $499 dealer fee) and we ended up getting it for $26,510 + tax OTD.
  • frenchguy007frenchguy007 Member Posts: 28
    Just ordered my Legacy 3.6R with Nav (trading in my 2010 3.6R without Nav). I am expecting it in about 4-5 weeks, the Canadian cars have not made it to the dealers just yet that's why the wait. I just love the handling and with the amount of driving I do this is the best deal available.

Although I do like the improvements from the 12 to 13 model year, they are more cosmetic than anything else on the the six cylinder. I am hoping that Subaru will work on better transmissions in the future, a six speed or CVT for the 3.6 (or the Forester which really is behind the times with a 4 speed). I had a 2008 Altima 3.5 SE with CVT before my Legacy, the transmission was really sweet for a CVT and got great gas mileage, I think this is the next step for an already great car. :)