Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Can you add rear camera and navi system to a 2010 TL?

morrisguymorrisguy Member Posts: 2
I am about to get a TL but it does not have the tech package.

Most of all I am just interested in the navi system and in the rear camera, so I was wondering if there is anything (official or aftermarket) that can be used on this car.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    There are aftermarket GPS units and rear-view camera systems that fit any vehicle. If you mean can it be built in, probably not - or, if it can be done, it would be exorbitantly expensive, more so than just buying a 2010 WITH the tech package.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    morrisguymorrisguy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot

I know about the aftermarket GPS units, but was not sure about the camera...never had one on any of my cars so I was not sure.

The price of a TL with the package is sometimes more than what the package would cost as extra...the retail was about 3500 if I recall correctly, while you see cars with the tech package sold at about 5-6K more than the standard version (considering same mileage and conditions); that's why I was looking for an alternative.

Could you suggest any site or brand, for cameras that are known to be working nicely with the TL? Thanks!
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I'm afraid I don't know a thing about them - however, the make/model of vehicle shouldn't matter - it's the quality of the system. This article:
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/adding-a-back-up-camera-to-your-vehicle.ht- ml
    has a few suggestions, and you might check out Consumer Reports reviews, if they have any.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    It may be too late to say this now, but here goes:

You can add aftermarket camera and navi systems -- you may not be happy with the results as it is unlikely these after market systems will be integrated with the car.

Tech adds more than just these two features -- and perhaps you may not think, at this time, they are worth it. However, my guess is you will spend money for a cobbled together system and you will "forever" be saying "if only." The cost of the "if only" is the difference between what you paid to have the aftermarket add-ons vs the integrated and more fully featured tech package.

The sound system alone is a major major improvement.

Funny, I read how folks get a "base car" (not just Acuras, any car) and then immediately start adding "stuff" to their car that isn't factory integrated and may just not function "seamlessly."

Go for the TL SH-AWD Tech, not one of the lesser incarnations.

My bet is you'll regret it if you don't. And the more you regret it, the more $$$ you'll keep dumping into the car -- that seems to be a pretty common theme once you get to an ELLPS car.

The boards here and elsewhere are just full of posts from people who got X and immediately upgraded it to Y, then once they have Y they find out it would be better with Z too, and on and on and on.

First it'll be plus zero sized tires, then you'll say, I'll go with plus size wheels, which mean plus 1 tires, then you'll say, how about new performance rotors, new breathing systems, perhaps even new exhaust systems and the list just keeps going on and on.

"Tho' I've belted you and flayed you, by the livin' Gawd that made you, if you can buy or lease a base model car and NOT keep adding to it or upgrading it, well . . .

You're a better man (or woman, as the case may be) than I am, Gunga Din!"

Drive it like you live! :surprise: